The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default Late season swoon / and other DPO articles

When the calendar makes the turn from October to November, the leaves fall, the clocks fall back and the Broncos have followed suit in recent years.
Since their appearance in the AFC championship game to close out the 2005 season, the Broncos are a less-than-robust 22-32 (a .407 winning percentage) in regular-season games played in November, December and January. They have watched potentially promising season after season dissolve in their almost annual struggles down the stretch.
Which is why, even with a chance to put a two-hand, lock-it-down grip on the AFC West race Sunday with a victory over the San Diego Chargers at Sports Authority Field at Mile High, the Broncos have tried to add some perspective to things.
"The biggest key right now is to just keep doing what we're doing," cornerback Champ Bailey said. "It's easy to get caught up in things. We've had some success. But we've seen this before. You can't let the little things get away from you. The little things lead to the big things.

Read more: Recent history has not been kind to Broncos' late-season efforts - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2CDMhtoNY
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Last edited by baja; 11-14-2012 at 08:50 AM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Not gonna happen this season, we got Peyton f'n Manning
Old 11-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

...and we don't have the Mastermind
Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Footnote. The Broncos cleared the way to add linebacker D.J. Williams to the 53-man roster. The team waived rookie safety Duke Ihenacho on Tuesday, opening up a spot. The Broncos have a roster exemption this week to allow Williams to practice with the team as he comes back from two suspensions that totaled nine games.

Read more: Recent history has not been kind to Broncos' late-season efforts - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2CDNyTGSD
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Mike, I am starting to have visions of John Elway holding up the Lombardi Trophy, handing it to Manning and saying "This one's for Peyton." Should I book my Super Bowl trip now?
--James Johnson, Denver

I believe the prearranged tribute is John Elway holding up the Lombardi Trophy and saying: "This one's for Pat." For owner Pat Bowlen.

But as long as you can get some sort of refund or credit, James, I'd say, yes, the Broncos have a chance to be around for the NFL's season final week in New Orleans. The Las Vegas Hotel sports book came out with their odds adjusted through Sunday's games and the Broncos are tied as third favorites to win the Super Bowl. Here are the odds:

He better say, "This one's for Champ"
Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

What a difference a quarter makes. There is a vast difference in perception and results when it comes to the two quarterbacks who will be on the field in Denver on Sunday.
Play word association and say "Peyton Manning." The compliments likely will follow as Manning has shown an amazing ability to come back from a season on the sideline to lead the Broncos back into the playoff hunt.
Say "Philip Rivers," and the discussion will be a little more pessimistic this season. His team is 4-5. His coach is on the hottest of seats. And Rivers is on track to set a career high for interceptions in a season.
And it basically comes down to how the two have handled the fourth quarter.
In the first through third quarters this

Denver QB Peyton Manning (Denver Post file)
season, Manning has completed 175-of-244 passes (71.7 percent) for 2,054 yards to go with 12 touchdowns and six interceptions.
In the first through third quarters this season, Rivers has completed 153-of-219 passes (69.9 percent) for 1,725 yards to go with 13 touchdowns and six interceptions.
Then there is the fourth quarter. Manning has the second-highest, fourth-quarter passer rating in the league behind Jay Cutler, and Cutler has thrown 35 fewer fourth-quarter passes than Manning.

Manning has been virtually unstoppable in the final 15 minutes this season, having completed 55-of-86 passes (64 percent) for 651 yards to go with nine touchdowns (42.9 percent of his season total) and no interceptions.
The Broncos have three comeback victories because of it, including the improbable victory in San Diego when Denver trailed 24-0 at halftime. Playoff seasons are made of such performances, when any team, no matter the resume, will get pushed to the edge at some point.
Rivers is 33rd in the league in fourth-quarter passer rating (56.5) or last among the league's starters. Both Arizona quarterbacks, John Skelton and Kevin Kolb, are ahead of him on the list.

Read more: Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers separated by fourth-quarter performances - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2CDTuhasF
Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
...and we don't have the Mastermind
....and Josh Mcdaniels
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

....and Tebow
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

This is a completely different team. We've been watching the evolution this season. It started out rough. Different elements were not working together. From game to game, we've watched them come together, offense, defense and ST. They've built up the confidence, bit by bit. Now, the engine is starting to hum. The tire selection is correct. The chassis is tuned. The driver is in control. Now it's just a matter of getting out on the track and opening up the throttle.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
....and Josh Mcdaniels
Absolutely!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
This is a completely different team. We've been watching the evolution this season. It started out rough. Different elements were not working together. From game to game, we've watched them come together, offense, defense and ST. They've built up the confidence, bit by bit. Now, the engine is starting to hum. The tire selection is correct. The chassis is tuned. The driver is in control. Now it's just a matter of getting out on the track and opening up the throttle.
Yes but it is still a defense based on speed, populated by either young or old players.

As the season wears on speed becomes less a factor as the speed players tend to wear down more that the power players and the weather turns wintery.

The rookies often time the rookie wall and the old vets wear out.
In this regard the player personal are similar the the late season fade teams of past years.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
....and Tebow
OK that too

Maybe it's the altitude
Old 11-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

If we go on any kind of losing streak with the upcoming cupcake schedule we have, that would be disastrous. I know there are no gimme games in the NFL, but we've got a bunch that are as close to that as you can get.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
If we go on any kind of losing streak with the upcoming cupcake schedule we have, that would be disastrous. I know there are no gimme games in the NFL, but we've got a bunch that are as close to that as you can get.

I know. Just pointing out the similarities to the fading defenses
Old 11-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Yes but it is still a defense based on speed, populated by either young or old players.

As the season wears on speed becomes less a factor as the speed players tend to wear down more that the power players and the weather turns wintery.

The rookies often time the rookie wall and the old vets wear out.
In this regard the player personal are similar the the late season fade teams of past years.
The emotions of being on a winning team fix that. Don't forget, winning solves everything. It's a drug.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #16
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
The emotions of being on a winning team fix that. Don't forget, winning solves everything. It's a drug.
STRONG POINT

That's what I'm counting on too.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #17
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Mike, I am starting to have visions of John Elway holding up the Lombardi Trophy, handing it to Manning and saying "This one's for Peyton." Should I book my Super Bowl trip now?
--James Johnson, Denver

I believe the prearranged tribute is John Elway holding up the Lombardi Trophy and saying: "This one's for Pat." For owner Pat Bowlen.

But as long as you can get some sort of refund or credit, James, I'd say, yes, the Broncos have a chance to be around for the NFL's season final week in New Orleans. The Las Vegas Hotel sports book came out with their odds adjusted through Sunday's games and the Broncos are tied as third favorites to win the Super Bowl. Here are the odds:

He better say, "This one's for Champ"
I think you mean.

"This one for all the fans that had to sit through the Josh McDaniel era!"
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #18
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Well they're all for the fans but if you are going to single out one person it should be the long suffering Champ who played at a high level every single game, even when many of his defensive team mates quit.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #19
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I'll play devil's advocate here since Baja clearly needs someone to post in this thread.

Fox's record for the month of November is 18-21 and for December is 26-17. That's an average of 44-38, just slightly above average. I will say last season Fox was 4-0 in November, bucking his usual trend of 1-3 Novembers followed up by 3-1 Decembers (he went to the Coughlin school of coaching, remember)

Manning, on the other hand, is 40-19 in November and 37-19 in December.

Going back six years, I found that it wasn't November that was bad, where we are 15-12 (not awesome, but not terrible) but actually December that kills us where we are 8-19. When you consider some of the events that happened in December; spygate II, blowing the three game lead on the Chargers, and even Tebow magic fizzling late last season, it's clear that December is the month with the bad juju. We'll see how we handle it. I agree our team looks more portable and doesn't feel like we'll fold, but any given Sunday...

Regardless, we have a coach and a QB who usually do better in December, so we'll see what happens. Coach Fox is not a gimmicky coach. He doesn't fool you with scheme and just focuses on fundamentals. By the end of the season when all the tricks are played out and nobody's fooled by anything anymore, his style of football does better. I'm not super confident, but I'm not as worried as I normally am.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #20
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I'll play devil's advocate here since Baja clearly needs someone to post in this thread.

Fox's record for the month of November is 18-21 and for December is 26-17. That's an average of 44-38, just slightly above average. I will say last season Fox was 4-0 in November, bucking his usual trend of 1-3 Novembers followed up by 3-1 Decembers (he went to the Coughlin school of coaching, remember)

Manning, on the other hand, is 40-19 in November and 37-19 in December.

Going back six years, I found that it wasn't November that was bad, where we are 15-12 (not awesome, but not terrible) but actually December that kills us where we are 8-19. When you consider some of the events that happened in December; spygate II, blowing the three game lead on the Chargers, and even Tebow magic fizzling late last season, it's clear that December is the month with the bad juju. We'll see how we handle it. I agree our team looks more portable and doesn't feel like we'll fold, but any given Sunday...

Regardless, we have a coach and a QB who usually do better in December, so we'll see what happens. Coach Fox is not a gimmicky coach. He doesn't fool you with scheme and just focuses on fundamentals. By the end of the season when all the tricks are played out and nobody's fooled by anything anymore, his style of football does better. I'm not super confident, but I'm not as worried as I normally am.
No I don't. I'm doing a good job all by myself.

Good points on Fox. I feel better now.

Lots of free time in semi retirement. my other option is exercise that sounds too much like work.

Besides I ran out of Colon Blow last week.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #21
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Mmmm Colon Blow...
Old 11-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #22
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Broncos smoother than Ismail with fish scale flippin' off the Peter Pan. If you haven't realized it yet, we are winning the Super Bowl. I'm not kidding.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #23
DENVERDUI55

We have folded up like a cheap tent because of the talent void past couple years.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #24
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I hope that's why.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #25
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco: