The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #226
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Trevathan largely played at Will with Woodyard shifting over at Mike.

I like what I saw from him. Decent in coverage, had good closing speed but it was just a handful of plays with Graham not at 100%.

But there's defenitely something there to work with.
Oh so super youtube scout just called me out and was wrong?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #227
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Nickel MLB because Mays sucks and hurt and Brooking is too old. If you really think he can be a starting 4-3 MLB you are nuts.
We don't really run a 4-3 with Von...we run a 4-2 Nickel (or 5-2)...and Trevathan is perfect for that.

PFF listed him as playing MLB against the Saints, so smoke that. Where are your shirtless pictures DB4L?

Let's see...
1. right on Wolfe
2. right on extensive use of the Manning No-Huddle, and Gronkowski only playing a few plays per game
3. right on Trevathan

BOOM-SHAKA-LOCKA!!

pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #228
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
We don't really run a 4-3 with Von...we run a 4-2 Nickel (or 5-2)...and Trevathan is perfect for that.

PFF listed him as playing MLB against the Saints, so smoke that. Where are your shirtless pictures DB4L?

Let's see...
1. right on Wolfe
2. right on extensive use of the Manning No-Huddle, and Gronkowski only playing a few plays per game
3. right on Trevathan

BOOM-SHAKA-LOCKA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Trevathan largely played at Will with Woodyard shifting over at Mike.

I like what I saw from him. Decent in coverage, had good closing speed but it was just a handful of plays with Graham not at 100%.

But there's defenitely so mething there to work with.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #229
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
IAOFM.com on Trevathan -

"his reps with the nickel package were at MLB (according to PFF), so hes been learning a new position. More power to him. He was on the field for nearly half the defensive snaps. John Foxs comment on him was succinct: I've been impressed with his development."

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/

(Carry on...carry on DB4L...my day of vindication has come, and I have conquered.)
Old 10-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #230
DENVERDUI55

Thank you Jack for making Big Vick a big clog in the middle and finally "Turning the likes of Unrein/Bannon Loose" all while cooking meth up for Wolfe.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #231
Agamemnon

Quote:
IAOFM.com on Trevathan -

"his reps with the nickel package were at MLB (according to PFF), so hes been learning a new position. More power to him. He was on the field for nearly half the defensive snaps. John Foxs comment on him was succinct: I've been impressed with his development."

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/

(Carry on...carry on DB4L...my day of vindication has come, and I have conquered.)
I have to say it was refreshing to see a LB out there who could actually cover a tight end. Graham was still catching some balls on him, but at least he was right there, ready to make the tackle when he did.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #232
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Fox did quite well using an undersized LB....Thomas Davis was a college safety if memory serves me right.....he was listed as 6'1" and 225 a couple seasons ago....he's up to 235 now or so they say.

Perhaps he sees Trevathan as a likely guy to play that role on this team?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #233
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:

That's different.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #234
Nwp-Apap

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Fox did quite well using an undersized LB....Thomas Davis was a college safety if memory serves me right.....he was listed as 6'1" and 225 a couple seasons ago....he's up to 235 now or so they say.

Perhaps he sees Trevathan as a likely guy to play that role on this team?
Or maybe Wesley Woodyard already is?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #235
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwp-Apap View Post
Or maybe Wesley Woodyard already is?
I see the Broncos running a lot of 4-2 Nickel and 5-2 the rest of the year...as long as they can continue to stop the run with it.

The Broncos need two, fast LB's, who can both stop the run effectively, and cover a TE/RB. It's gonna be DJ and WW, with DJ being the MIKE (just like the plays he tweeted). Trevathan has earned his time, and won't give it up easy...which is how you want it.

Fox and JDR are on to something here...it might just get us to the Superbowl.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:43 AM   #236
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

With their seven sacks, the Broncos have 32 and took over the NFL's sack lead. Broncos had 7 sacks, 2 ints, one being a pick 6, held Carolina on 3rd down conversions (0-12) and scored TD's on offense, defense and special teams.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:55 AM   #237
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
I see the Broncos running a lot of 4-2 Nickel and 5-2 the rest of the year...as long as they can continue to stop the run with it.

The Broncos need two, fast LB's, who can both stop the run effectively, and cover a TE/RB. It's gonna be DJ and WW, with DJ being the MIKE (just like the plays he tweeted). Trevathan has earned his time, and won't give it up easy...which is how you want it.

Fox and JDR are on to something here...it might just get us to the Superbowl.
Here we go again DJ is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

He redid his contract at a cut in pay to come back to the team.

Does that sound like he is expecting a heros welcome?

He is coming back with his tail between his legs protecting his sack.

Unless something drastic happens injury wise he will not see the field except to spell someone.

The front seven has done extraordinary things so far this year without him, to insert him into that would not only disrupt continuity but be a slap in the face to all that actually played by the rules and were not dumb asses.

John E has worked very hard to bring in class players since he got here. DJ is not one he would have signed if he was not already here.
To top it all off they expect him to take a couple of weeks to even get into game shape.
Dj will not be a bronco next year.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #238
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
With their seven sacks, the Broncos have 32 and took over the NFL's sack lead. Broncos had 7 sacks, 2 ints, one being a pick 6, held Carolina on 3rd down conversions (0-12) and scored TD's on offense, defense and special teams.

I think you meant to say. Instead of AND. scored TD's on offense, defense and special teams.

the team scored TD's on offense, defense and special teams.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 AM   #239
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

The Panthers were 0-12 on 3rd down conversions today vs the Broncos. The only other team to go without a 3rd down conversion this season was the Jaguars (0-9 in Week 2 vs the Texans). The Panthers are the first team to go 0-12 or worse on 3rd down since the Bills went 0-12 against the Dolphins (Week 11 in 2011)

Old 11-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #240
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Defense: A

Miller has had better games statistically than he did Sunday; just seven days earlier he sacked Cincinnati QB Andy Dalton three times. But never has he been more disruptive. He sacked Newton once, pressured him from behind to force the errant throw that CB Tony Carter turned into a 40-yard return for a touchdown and was so intimidating that by the fourth quarter, Panthers TE Greg Olsen practically waved him by rather than attempting to block him on a run play. The only negative was coverage that allowed Olsen to get wide open twice downfield for deep receptions on the Panthers' first scoring drive, but the Broncos rebounded. Midway through the fourth quarter, the Panthers' offense was so defeated that it had averaged just 3.6 inches per play in the 20 plays that followed halftime. It's also telling that the defense again accounted for points, scoring nine on Carter's return and a Mike Adams safety.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nf...ms-stepping-up
Old 11-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #241
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Defense: A

Miller has had better games statistically than he did Sunday; just seven days earlier he sacked Cincinnati QB Andy Dalton three times. But never has he been more disruptive. He sacked Newton once, pressured him from behind to force the errant throw that CB Tony Carter turned into a 40-yard return for a touchdown and was so intimidating that by the fourth quarter, Panthers TE Greg Olsen practically waved him by rather than attempting to block him on a run play. The only negative was coverage that allowed Olsen to get wide open twice downfield for deep receptions on the Panthers' first scoring drive, but the Broncos rebounded. Midway through the fourth quarter, the Panthers' offense was so defeated that it had averaged just 3.6 inches per play in the 20 plays that followed halftime. It's also telling that the defense again accounted for points, scoring nine on Carter's return and a Mike Adams safety.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nf...ms-stepping-up
Misprint
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #242
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Misprint
No.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:44 AM   #243
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

John Lynch (Fox Sports, 5) - The Broncos are getting better as a team every week. All phases are pitching in. The defense held Cam Newton and the Panthers to 0 for 12 on third down.

Pat Kirwan (SiriusXM NFL Radio/CBSSports.com, 2) - The Broncos defense held the Panthers to 2.5 yards per carry, sacked Newton 7 times, and hit him another seven times.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...-about-broncos
Old 11-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #244
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Reunited with Fox, Del Rio charges up Denver 'D'

By EDDIE PELLS AP National Writer Nov. 15, 2012 5:22 PM ET

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) - There are a few more lines around the eyes, each of them a symbol of some lesson learned during a head-coaching tenure that lasted nearly a decade, had its share of success but ended badly for Jack Del Rio in Jacksonville.

Some things, however, haven't changed.

The Broncos defensive coordinator, now 49 and reunited with John Fox in the same role he had a decade ago in Carolina, is still a formidable presence whenever he walks onto a football field. And the schemes the NFL linebacker-turned-coach crafts still make life very difficult for offenses around the league.

Asked to describe his approach to defense without using the word "aggressive" - because, really, what defensive coordinator doesn't want to be aggressive? - Del Rio laughed.

"Aggressive," he said. "I don't know. There are a lot of good people out there doing a lot of good things. From my standpoint, the No. 1 thing we want to do is create a culture where players understand the things they're being asked to do. That they build a confidence playing for each other, with each other. And that in the end, you play fast."

Denver's seventh defensive coordinator in seven years has the Broncos (6-3) playing fast, and at a level this defense hasn't reached in a while. Yes, they are ranked a more-than-respectable sixth in yards allowed and 10th in points allowed, in the running to finish with the best statistics in those categories since the mid-2000s. But they are also ranked second in sacks per pass play and, with four touchdowns and a pair of safeties, are making the kind of plays that swing games.

They are building a reputation as a swarming, playmaking and, yes, aggressive group, which is just how Del Rio coaches it, especially when the talent is there to make it happen. Had it worked this well in Jacksonville over the past few years, the coach might still be there. Instead, he got released 11 games into last season with a 69-73 career record.

Some might have sat it out for a while, let some wounds heal and, in Del Rio's case, collected some easy paychecks, which could have totaled up to around $5 million.

Not this coach, who Thursday was standing in the midst of his defenders at the start of practice, shouting, listening, correcting and at one point, insisting the players "get this (expletive) down" by the end of the day.

"I love coaching," he said. "And this was a good opportunity for me to get hooked up with a guy I respect and a program that's first class."

Indeed, when Fox came calling, Del Rio knew he could get right back into his comfort zone: Coaching defense alongside one of the men he came up with; working in the room with players; getting back to the kind of routine that wasn't available as much when he was a head coach, where PR, delegating to staff and big-picture decision-making often overshadows the Xs and Os.

"That's something you probably kind of miss after a while," Fox said. "It kind of re-energizes you. I think he's having fun doing it."

No doubt, Del Rio said.

"When we interviewed, I said, `Hey, I don't mind being an assistant strength coach again,"' Del Rio said. "I love ball with the right people, right organization. I love to be a member on the staff and going through the grind and having my feet in the grass and having a chance to touch some players. That's what I have a passion for."

Del Rio's last two stops in his 11-year NFL playing career were in Dallas, where he played for Jimmy Johnson, and Minnesota, where Tony Dungy was the defensive coordinator. It was Johnson's "all-in mentality," as Del Rio called it, and Dungy's ability to coach, teach but not dwell on failure that got Del Rio thinking about the kind of coach he'd like to be someday.

He started in New Orleans as, yes, the assistant strength coach, then moved to Baltimore to coach the linebackers from 1999-2001. Led by Ray Lewis, the Ravens won the Super Bowl in 2001. Del Rio left Baltimore to join Fox in Carolina in 2002, where he transformed the defense from 32nd-ranked to second in the span of a season.

Impressed with that sudden bout of success, and looking to inject some new, young energy into the franchise after firing Tom Coughlin, Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver bypassed coaches with more experience and took a chance on Del Rio, who with blue eyes, blond hair, standing 6-foot-4 and still close to his 240-pound playing weight was a made-for-TV presence in a city looking for a football star.

He had also proven he could coach a little, though the perils of going with a guy who had never been the head man reared their head early. There was the infamous tree stump Del Rio put in the locker room. Message: Keep chopping wood, but when punter Chris Hanson did, he swung the ax nearly through his shin and had to be rushed to the hospital.

The coach had trouble managing changes at the quarterback position involving Mark Brunell, Byron Leftwich and David Garrard. There was a revolving door of assistant coaches and two playoff appearances to show for eight-plus years on the job.

Through it all, though, the players played hard for Del Rio. And, of course, staying in the same job for that long in the NFL is a victory of sorts, no matter how it ends.

"Certainly, I'm a much better coach now," Del Rio said. "I got a wealth of experience. You learn from good and bad. I feel like a better coach at this point. I still have all my fire and desire and energy, which is why I'm doing what I'm doing now."

By returning to his roots - running the defense - Del Rio gets to go back to what he's best at: Connecting with players, devising schemes that bring out their best, which, in Del Rio's mind, is what coaching is supposed to be all about.

"When I was in college, I started hearing about him and we used to watch the Jaguars defense," said Broncos linebacker Wesley Woodyard, who leads the team in tackles and has earned an AFC Defensive Player of the Week honor in Del Rio's scheme. "They used to always talk about him and the stuff he runs. He's one of those guys who's always amped and believes in his players. And him being a past linebacker, it makes it easier for us to follow him, look up to him and believe in him."

The subplot in all this is that the success of the Denver defense could make Del Rio a popular choice to become a head coach again. That's a particularly delicate topic for the Broncos, who lost Dennis Allen to the Raiders after last season and haven't had a defensive coordinator serve back-to-back seasons since Larry Coyer from 2003-06.

No problem from the boss's point of view.

"Whenever you hire an assistant coach, you want them to have high aspirations," Fox said. "You want to hire people who may have that ability. Otherwise, you're not hiring the best people."

Del Rio says he doesn't look beyond the next Sunday, which in this case is a rematch with the Chargers. If Denver wins, it takes a three-game lead in the AFC West. Knowing far more about life as a head coach than when he took the job in Jacksonville, Del Rio says there's no rush to move up the ladder again.

"When you're a young guy and you haven't been there, the urgency and desire to get that opportunity is such that you'd take just about any job given to you," Del Rio said. "I don't feel that way now. If there's something that fits and the right situation comes along, so be it. But in the meantime, I'm all in, 100 percent as a lieutenant on this staff. I'm somebody that John Fox, John Elway ... and the players can count on. I'm 100 percent invested in helping them be their best.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...es-up-denver-d
Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #245
CEH
Ring of Famer

Here's an odd fact. Since the ESPN QBR started Denver has the highest QBR differential between Manning and his opponents somthing like +53

The highest to date was the 2009 New Orleans Saints who happened to win the Super Bowl that year at +44

Basically when your QB is the best QB on the field game game in and game out good things tend to happen
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #246
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Del Rio said. "I love ball with the right people, right organization. I love to be a member on the staff and going through the grind and having my feet in the grass and having a chance to touch some players. That's what I have a passion for."
So did he attend Penn State?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #247
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Here's an odd fact. Since the ESPN QBR started Denver has the highest QBR differential between Manning and his opponents somthing like +53

The highest to date was the 2009 New Orleans Saints who happened to win the Super Bowl that year at +44

Basically when your QB is the best QB on the field game game in and game out good things tend to happen

Old 11-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #248
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post

Wow, imagine that........
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #249
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

#10 in scoring b****es...

Del Rio is a Defensive genius.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #250
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Fox also deserves a ton of credit for this defense.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote