The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #101
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
See the problem is it is broke. We have given up 47 catches 596 yards and 8 TDs to the other teams TE's. That is 12.6 yards per catch and damn near a TD per game. Before you start saying well Mays was the problem, over the last 4 games it's getting worse. 26 catches, 354 yards, and 5 TDs from TE's.

So yeah while our team is doing great, lets not count out DJ from helping improve the team.
Good point
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #102
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
See the problem is it is broke. We have given up 47 catches 596 yards and 8 TDs to the other teams TE's. That is 12.6 yards per catch and damn near a TD per game. Before you start saying well Mays was the problem, over the last 4 games it's getting worse. 26 catches, 354 yards, and 5 TDs from TE's.

So yeah while our team is doing great, lets not count out DJ from helping improve the team.
Yep, this is an issue. However, they are playing to stop the big play and stop the run. That leaves the TE's and RB's as viable check downs on most patterns. It is not a great statistic, but its a hell of a lot more manageable than having the 3 WR's killing you. Part of this is scheme, part of it is the middle of the field is still weak in coverage.

Pick your poison. So far, the last 4 weeks this has worked DESPITE the great games by TE's. I'll take it. There is still only so much you can do to cover the pass, and if this is their weak point hallelujah!
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #103
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:

^ Particularly alarming if we have to play NE in the playoffs.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #104
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

the return of DJ will help shut down the TDs
Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #105
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Yep, this is an issue. However, they are playing to stop the big play and stop the run. That leaves the TE's and RB's as viable check downs on most patterns. It is not a great statistic, but its a hell of a lot more manageable than having the 3 WR's killing you. Part of this is scheme, part of it is the middle of the field is still weak in coverage.

Pick your poison. So far, the last 4 weeks this has worked DESPITE the great games by TE's. I'll take it. There is still only so much you can do to cover the pass, and if this is their weak point hallelujah!
You know more then me about this. I'm just thinking of ways DJ can improve the team.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #106
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
the return of DJ will help shut down the TDs
I think that is a little presumptive. DJ has all the tools to cover, always has. What he has lacked is the mental acuity to apply it in games and at the right time situationally. He could have been as great as Al Wilson if he ever could read the game properly. As it is, he is just a good athlete who makes plays occasionally and not usually game changing ones.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #107
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
I think that is a little presumptive. DJ has all the tools to cover, always has. What he has lacked is the mental acuity to apply it in games and at the right time situationally. He could have been as great as Al Wilson if he ever could read the game properly. As it is, he is just a good athlete who makes plays occasionally and not usually game changing ones.
Granted it speculative but I think JDR will help DJ tremendously with his mental game. I think this is JDR's strength scheming to the players strength while minimizing his weakness'

However he did fail with Joe Mays
Old 11-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #108
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Granted it speculative but I think JDR will help DJ tremendously with his mental game. I think this is JDR's strength scheming to the players strength while minimizing his weakness'

However he did fail with Joe Mays
Coaching can only go so far in the NFL. The amount of preparation the coaches do for the players is unbelievable. However, the true skill of the NFL player is in applying that knowledge on gameday. DJ has had years of opportunities to become the player he could be. Derrick Johnson of the chiefs finally got it last year after also being a perennial underachiever, so it is possible, just not likely IMHO.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #109
Bacchus

Quote:
When he was playing the coaches always said he was the best LB to cover TEs, on this team anyway.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #110
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
When he was playing the coaches always said he was the best LB to cover TEs, on this team anyway.
DJ, like Al Wilson has the speed to cover Slot WR's and the body and skills to not get boxed out by TE's. He can cover. The problem is, when he has to make reads and situational adjustments to his coverages. His slow decision making skills negate all the natural physical advantages he possesses. Plus, he lacks anticipation on the ball arrival with route stems. In short, he fails to consistently break on routes he should own with all that ability, especially in zone coverages.

I have seen him cover a slot WR all the way up the seam to the End zone 30 yards down field and not give up seperation. However, I have seen him miss a route combination in front of him and fail to take the right position to stop a First down and force the check down underneath and make the tackle short of the first down all too often. Situational awareness keeps him from being the stud Cover LB he should be.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #111
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Coaching can only go so far in the NFL. The amount of preparation the coaches do for the players is unbelievable. However, the true skill of the NFL player is in applying that knowledge on gameday. DJ has had years of opportunities to become the player he could be. Derrick Johnson of the chiefs finally got it last year after also being a perennial underachiever, so it is possible, just not likely IMHO.
We will see.

It's going to be interesting what JDR will do with DJ.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #112
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

I'm not buying the analysis that DJ doesn't react fast enough and/or is too dumb to play football.

DJ was the Broncos best LB (by far) for several years before Von was drafted. I don't know that he is an effective 4-3 MLB, but with the 4-2 we are playing this year, he could be the difference maker that puts this Defense over the top.

After all, Defense wins championships. Without DJ, the 2012 Broncos have shown that they cannot, under any circumstances, effectively guard opposing TE's. Trevathan has shown flashes in the passing game, but has lapses too, and is not up to par (yet) in run support. Mike Adams has been manhandled against opposing TE's. Joe Mays was destroyed. Wes has been lit up too.

DJ is still the Broncos best cover LB, and very good against the run. If the AFCW, Tampa Bay, and the Ravens are gashing us in the run game, DJ can shore it up. Having DJ on the field in the playoffs against the likes of NE's hurry-up Offense is a no-brainer.

Glad he's back, and fully expect him to take most of the snaps from Brooking and Trevathan as the season wears on. Brooking, is a good leader, but is NOT a physically dominating force in the middle anymore. He is solid at times, and other times gets washed out. Trevathan is a 5th round draft pick, who has shown flashes, but needs time to develop.

The reality is, we are in SuperBowl mode NOW, with a very small window. The addition of DJ alongside WW makes this team better.

Last edited by pricejj; 11-13-2012 at 11:39 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #113
Agamemnon

I really hope they don't try to force him into the starting lineup. He's not even an upgrade over Brooking in my opinion.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #114
DENVERDUI55

Quote:

What about opposing teams WR's?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #115
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I really hope they don't try to force him into the starting lineup. He's not even an upgrade over Brooking in my opinion.
DJ won't be playing at all, unless he earns it. So don't worry.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #116
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
What about opposing teams WR's?
What does that have to do with LB's and DJ?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #117
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Breakdown of TDs allowed this season by position:
WR receiving 6 TDs
RB rushing 4 TDs
RB receiving 2 TDs
TE receiving 8 TDs
QB rushing 1 TD
INT 1 TD

Depending on how you want to see it between the LBs/S in covering TEs and RBs out of the backfield we have giving up 10 total TDs.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #118
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Williams had a very good season last year. When the defense was keeping Denver in the game so Tebow could take all the credit Williams was at the heart of it. I have been watching last years games and he was everywhere. He could learn a lot from Brooking that is for sure but DJ is better than DJ when he is game ready.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #119
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
RB: 1st priority - FA1
Primary need going into the offseason is probably an explosive, durable Running Back, who can contribute immediately. I would scour the FA market, but wouldn't spend more than $2M per year on one, because we could just draft a gamebreaker in the 1st round if necessary. McGahee needs help, and Hillman hasn't proven anything yet.

DT: 2nd priority - FA2
I know Vickerson is coming off a 2 sack game...but up to this point, the only DT with any sacks was Wolfe. If there is an upgrade in the FA market, we have to make a play.

MLB: 3rd priority - 1st round draft pick
I have Ogletree from Georgia penciled in as our 1st round draft pick, even though he doesn't play on a very good Defense. Brooking is on his last legs, and DJ is no MLB.

Slot WR: 4th priority - FA3
Would be nice to find another Stokley-type in the FA market, or later in the draft..just worried about Old Man Stokes longevity. We have nothing behind him on the depth chart. Drafting somebody like Austin Collie (4th round)would be another way to address the issue.

CB: 5th priority - 2nd round draft pick
Porter is probably gone next year. It would be wise to spend a 2nd round draft pick to replace him on the depth chart behind Tony Carter. Keep Harris in the slot.

SS: 6th priority - 3rd round draft pick
Mike Adams hasn't been terribly effective against TE's this year. I think Q. Carter's days are done after microfracture. Probably a good idea to draft another 3rd round SS to compete with Adams.
You forgot the OL. We need another guard.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #120
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
You forgot the OL. We need another guard.
Unless you think Kuper is done, we're set. ManRam and Blake are good enough backups for Manning's tenure.

If Kuper can't get healthy, then they are going to have to make a decision.