The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #26
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Next play, 3rd and ten.

Cam still in the shotgun with lone back.
We switch it up to three DL, Ayers again on Gross with Von lined up standing over the B gap, with Woodyard on a blitz.

Ayers 17th snap.

Ayers twists inside Von to shoot the B gap very fluidly and the entire pocket collapses and multiple rushers force Cam to run out of the pocket into a meaningless gain forcing the FG unit on.

FG misses.

End of Carolina's first half offense.
Attached Images

fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #27
yerner
Ring of Famer

nice work. love watching ayers lately. dude is a handful for any lineman right now.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #28
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Are you busy on Tuesday evenings? You should go on one of TJs OM podcasts.
Yeah, maybe but you guys have that down to a solid working routine and I appreciate listening to others about what they're seeing on the field.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #29
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

I've run out of time.

Apart from one or two mediocre plays, and four/five others where the play was away from his side, Ayers got better and better.

He kept showing that great burst and acceleration off the snap and showed a couple more pass rush moves than just a straight up bull rush.

He played more DE here (didn't see him play DT) in this game, probably due to Doom getting hurt at the end of the first quarter. What I wasn't expecting was the leg drive, speed, and combination of moves against a top LT in Gross. I knew he could anchor against the run but I haven't seen this kind of play from him before - except for a few snaps here and there. And it wasn't as if we were sending multiple blitzers and pass rushers in there after Doom went down.

I'll try to finish off the 2nd half tomorrow, sorry guys, gotta run.

Last edited by fontaine; 11-12-2012 at 04:58 PM..
Old 11-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #30
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

i'm so very glad Ayers has developed some better pass rushing skills.
i was hoping he would but was preparing for him to be just a run stopping DE.

hopefully we'll be able to see a front line of Doom-Vickerson-Wolfe-Ayers on a consistent basis.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #31
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Yeah, maybe but you guys have that down to a solid working routine and I appreciate listening to others about what they're seeing on the field.
Would be fun. You already put the work in, might as well come talk about it.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #32
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7superfly View Post
He's growing up in front of us.

NFL is grown men on supplements and training 12 months a year.

Most DL that are legit 3 down guys take a few years to take their bodies from pizza and beer and all nighters to NFL level.
Not to mention he played LB his first two seasons.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #33
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Thanks fontaine!

Hey, where's orangese7en to tell us again how much Ayers sucks?!?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #34
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
Not to mention he played LB his first two seasons.
still shaking my head at that nonsense. a big ass 274 lb pure DL shifting to LB when he's never played the position and doesn't really have the instincts for it.

Ayers should have always been a DL. he's DE who can play DT as well.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #35
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
still shaking my head at that nonsense. a big ass 274 lb pure DL shifting to LB when he's never played the position and doesn't really have the instincts for it.

Ayers should have always been a DL. he's DE who can play DT as well.
No kidding. Think about where he would be if McDonald's hadnt wasted his first two seasons. He would be so much further along. Possibly to the point that we wouldn't have considered drafting Wolfe and moved on Doug Martin. Oh well
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #36
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Thanks fontaine!

Hey, where's orangese7en to tell us again how much Ayers sucks?!?
He's not the only one who made that claim....many guys on here said he sucked, and b****ed about him constantly
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #37
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
No kidding. Think about where he would be if McDonald's hadnt wasted his first two seasons. He would be so much further along. Possibly to the point that we wouldn't have considered drafting Wolfe and moved on Doug Martin. Oh well
no, we needed a DT regardless. our DL depth is still thin as crap.
we're one bad injury away from having almost nothing left in the cupboard.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #38
OrangeSe7en

Yeah, one of the cool things about what Carter is doing right now is, he's stepping up to the opportunity. Maybe it's contagious. When you have someone who won't let the opportunity pass him by, maybe it carries over to others. Same could be said for a couple of guys but Carter is the most obvious example.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #39
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Just posting this again:

Ayers was the guy who batted the fumble to Carter to jolt our comeback against SD the first time.

Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #40
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
Just posting this again:

Ayers was the guy who batted the fumble to Carter to jolt our comeback against SD the first time.

That was a smart play by Ayers.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #41
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Errand, you are getting annoying. Does it really matter who said what? Cant you just sit back and enjoy it, without playing superfan.

Ayers has surprised most EVERYONE this season. I thought he'd be a decent LDE but he has actually been a better RDE.

Get over yourself
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #42
Agamemnon

I remember seeing flashes of this kind of play from the guy at the end of last season (three sacks in two games), and I was honestly encouraged. Then he gets demoted, and my optimism disappeared. Now it's back with a vengeance. I think Ayers may finally be developing into the guy he was drafted to be.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #43
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
Errand, you are getting annoying. Does it really matter who said what? Cant you just sit back and enjoy it, without playing superfan.

Ayers has surprised most EVERYONE this season. I thought he'd be a decent LDE but he has actually been a better RDE.

Get over yourself
all I said was there were a lot of people who called the guy a bust...and the truth is that a lot of posters on here have called him a bust...including a few that now are praising him. If the truth bothers you, then I don't know what to tell you.

And not everyone is "surprised" by Ayers stepping up....he's getting more reps because he's finally taking the game and his career serious...and he's getting better coaching too....

and no I can't enjoy the defense playing better knowing that the some of the same clowns who trashed this team are now trying to jump on the bandwagon of the player(s) they called a bust, said he sucked, etc.......but carry on

Last edited by errand; 11-17-2012 at 08:47 PM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #44
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

I believed Maylock when he said Ayers can be the best player in his draft but he will need 3 seasons to develop.

That was not considering the lock out and the McD cluster fark.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:17 AM   #45
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
1. Ayers playing LB was because Mike Nolan wanted to turn him into the next Adalius Thomas (270 pound 3-4 super versatile OLB, groomed by Nolan in Baltimore, then signed with the Pats and fell apart onside the system he was trained for). There was a plan in place, Ayers was even growing into it come year two before missing six weeks due to injury.

2. I'd still rather have Wolfe than Martin. Martin is getting some good production at RB but that is a short shelf life position and you can often find productivity there in later rounds. Wolfe has shown some real physical talents already and a great work ethic. Having both Wolfe and Ayers along with Doom and Miller is the first step towards developing the rush heavy front seven that the Giants have ridden to two titles in the last few years.

I say this as someone who was really hoping for Martin at our #1 pick too. Wolfe was the better choice for long term team building. When Manning retires we need a D that can shut people down while Osweiler gets up to game speed.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #46
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Great stuff Fontaine! Ayers is certainly rounding into a solid contributor. I think the coaching, and being in hid natural position have allowed him to begin to realize his potential. If he can continue to grow and Wolfe, Jackson, et al can grow on similar curve this unit can be tremendous going forward.

Appreciate the work.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #47
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

If Osweiler is our QBOTF we are in trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
1. Ayers playing LB was because Mike Nolan wanted to turn him into the next Adalius Thomas (270 pound 3-4 super versatile OLB, groomed by Nolan in Baltimore, then signed with the Pats and fell apart onside the system he was trained for). There was a plan in place, Ayers was even growing into it come year two before missing six weeks due to injury.

2. I'd still rather have Wolfe than Martin. Martin is getting some good production at RB but that is a short shelf life position and you can often find productivity there in later rounds. Wolfe has shown some real physical talents already and a great work ethic. Having both Wolfe and Ayers along with Doom and Miller is the first step towards developing the rush heavy front seven that the Giants have ridden to two titles in the last few years.

I say this as someone who was really hoping for Martin at our #1 pick too. Wolfe was the better choice for long term team building. When Manning retires we need a D that can shut people down while Osweiler gets up to game speed.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote