The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #51
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Don't kid yourself JDR will find a way to use DJ's talent. He will play plenty
DJ will get his reps. But it may happen later rather than sooner. He has 9 weeks worth of rust to knock off first. It may take a few weeks of practice before he is back into game shape. Would not surprise me to see him listed as inactive against the Chargers.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #52
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

I don't think Del Rio will so suddenly get a head coaching gig. He just might want to stay for a little bit if the Broncos get a run going.
I do think some team may approach McCoy about a gig.

Although, there may be a ton of opening positions this offseason.
Kansas City
San Diego
Cleveland
Philadelphia
Dallas
Jets
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #53
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Allen may be on the hot seat with the Raiders too after yesterdays embarrassing loss and horrible defensive performance.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #54
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
Basically were the most complete team in the NFL. Top 5 Defense Top 5 Offense.

We lead the league in sacks with 31
Top 10 run defense
Top 10 pass defense
Impressive considering the elite Qbs we have played.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #55
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

There is a lot of speculation coming from the USC side that Lane Kiffin will be fired after the season. JDR is the apparent front runner for the position should it come available. He has some strong ties with the AD. It sucks because I feel like he's doing a great job but I think he's good as gone unless SC finds a way to go undefeated the rest of the way and knock off Oregon to win the Pac 12 in the P12 championship game.

In regards to our team, I feel pretty strong about it. You can see a lot of the same characteristics that the 97' team had... minus one Terrell Davis. That's a huge difference. We aren't there in the run game and as solid as McGahee has been 90% of the time, he is prone to some really dumb plays like his two fumbles yesterday. It only takes one of those to end a campaign in the playoffs. I wish we also had a little more depth at WR/DT. I'm skeptical that Stokley will stay healthy the whole year. Otherwise, I feel we put a lot of pressure on teams having to stop us on offense, defense, and special teams. The defense and ST's are explosive, giving Manning additional firepower and points on the board. That was a signature of our championship teams with Darrien Gordon and others. Fingers crossed that we can run the table and host a few playoff games. Might be the difference there. That Baltimore game in December will have a lot riding on it. It's fun to be able to talk about this stuff again.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #56
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
I don't think Del Rio will so suddenly get a head coaching gig. He just might want to stay for a little bit if the Broncos get a run going.
I do think some team may approach McCoy about a gig.

Although, there may be a ton of opening positions this offseason.
Kansas City
San Diego
Cleveland
Philadelphia
Dallas
Jets

I was glancing over this thread and for a second I thought you were listing our remaining schedule. Then I read your post. My god, if they can keep their focus our D is going to seriously roll some teams down the stretch.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #57
CEH
Ring of Famer

I bet Elway is as happy with the play of the defense and ST as he is with Manning. He wanted to restore the defense to Denver and looks like he's on the way to building the exact team he wants here in Denver
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #58
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4jelway7 View Post
DJ is a HUGE upgrade over Brooking... back to the bench for Brooking
Our defense is playing well, and Brooking may be a good reason why. I wouldn't change anything, as long as it's working....
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #59
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

It is amazing how solid a defense can be with a solid DL and a real pass rush. Give JDR and Fox a ton of credit for putting it all together and getting the young guys some swagger and confidence on defense.

However, they finally have players who can win the one on one battles up front, control the running game, and rush the passer. That is the formula for solid defense at this level. Add in the fact that some of the young CB's have stepped it up in coverage and that the safeties actually did not get exposed the last 3 games as much as they did early and this defense is finally, finally getting the Job done.

Players that can execute makes a coach look like a genius, more often than the coach actually being a genius on defense. Offense is truly more scheme oriented than defense in this league, because they dictate the matchups. Defense is still about players who can win the matchup battles no matter what scheme they play against. Look at the games we lost and the schemes we played against defensively. NE, ATL, and HOU all play a tough matchup offense. They get you to play against their personnel and dictate what you can offer defensively to stop it. The great thing about playing them already, is that while they all had early success, we made excellent adjustments to their gameplans and beat the crap out of their matchups in the second half defensively in all those games.

In short, this team is learning how to be a dominant defense as they gained experience against some great offenses early. Now, the only great offense they will face is BAL who is wildly inconsistent. I think they will be prepared to deal with all that offense has to handle this time because they will have a ton of film on them and they will not get to implement anything radically new by that time of the season.

I am so FREAKIN happy that they have the right players finally to be a great defense. Now, they just have to go out their and be hungry every game and prove it
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #60
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4jelway7 View Post
DJ is a HUGE upgrade over Brooking... back to the bench for Brooking
What is it that y'all do not get. Dj had to renegioatate his contract to lower his money in order to come back.

Does that sound remotely like they value his value? That they plan to start him in a defense he has had zero time playing in over the last ten weeks?

It would be a slap in the face to everyone on the team, considering he brought this all on himself by being a dumb ass, to start him over the guys that got this defense into the top ten.

If he did not redo the contract he was not coming back. Period.

His participation level on the field depends solely on someone getting hurt. Or needing an breather.

He does not know the play book, has not practiced it, nor played it. MLB is a cerebral position unlike WLB. Lots of the success since mays was dropped, the improvement of the D is the direct result in Brookings making the right calls for the defense. Not his being a great athlete, replacing that would be a huge mistake.

John, John and JDR have went out of their way to bring in smart players, with no history of doing dumb things. DJ will not be on this team next year at least not as a starter and certainly not at 6 mil.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #61
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Don't kid yourself JDR will find a way to use DJ's talent. He will play plenty
Since you obviously did not see the quotes in this post thought younshould read them again.

Time for your bromance with DJ to end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
i can't wait to see this defense once DJ gets back on the field. Woodyard has been playing lights out but man, DJ will make a huge impact for us at the LB position.
HOW?

The way our LBs have been playing who is he going to replace? Who are you going to take off the field to sub him in for?
Miller? Not happening..
Woodyard? Ditto
Brooking? no way..
Quote:
Keep in mind that the unit has been very successful and has developed communication and unity - and DJ has been no part of that. I think that he's going to be a street veteran in the off season at the very best.
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...-lard#comments

Seems to me I heard that when he comes back he is taking a hit in his paycheck, if they really thought he had something to offer other than depth they would not have ask him to re-do his contract for less money..

Quote:
CHARLOTTE N.C. D.J. Williams will officially return Monday to the Broncos after the two sides recently agreed to a restructuring of his contract.

Williams, who had been a starting linebacker since the Broncos selected him with their first-round draft pick in 2004, had already lost nearly $3 million in salary this year as part of his penalty for serving two suspensions that prevented him from playing in the team's first nine games this year.

Given the considerable time he has missed Broncos coach John Fox decided not to have him participate in training camp or preseason games so he could instead give reps and playing time to others Williams is expected to use the first week or two getting back in playing shape.

Read more: Denver Broncos linebacker D.J. Williams to return to team Monday - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2Bzg38w73

"Sorry Charlie Sunkist only wants Prime Tuna"..

DJ ain't all that..
Old 11-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #62
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
Our defense is playing well, and Brooking may be a good reason why. I wouldn't change anything, as long as it's working....
Amen Brother. Someone else gets it.

Now if Brooking had DJs athleticism his name would be a young Urlacher.

But alas Brookings is doing it with Jedi Tricks making the right calls for the font seven.

DJ is not smart enough as proven years ago to do that. Especially since he has not stepped a foot on the field in this Scheme. He is at least ten weeks behind the curve.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #63
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
It is amazing how solid a defense can be with a solid DL and a real pass rush. Give JDR and Fox a ton of credit for putting it all together and getting the young guys some swagger and confidence on defense.

However, they finally have players who can win the one on one battles up front, control the running game, and rush the passer. That is the formula for solid defense at this level. Add in the fact that some of the young CB's have stepped it up in coverage and that the safeties actually did not get exposed the last 3 games as much as they did early and this defense is finally, finally getting the Job done.

Players that can execute makes a coach look like a genius, more often than the coach actually being a genius on defense. Offense is truly more scheme oriented than defense in this league, because they dictate the matchups. Defense is still about players who can win the matchup battles no matter what scheme they play against. Look at the games we lost and the schemes we played against defensively. NE, ATL, and HOU all play a tough matchup offense. They get you to play against their personnel and dictate what you can offer defensively to stop it. The great thing about playing them already, is that while they all had early success, we made excellent adjustments to their gameplans and beat the crap out of their matchups in the second half defensively in all those games.

In short, this team is learning how to be a dominant defense as they gained experience against some great offenses early. Now, the only great offense they will face is BAL who is wildly inconsistent. I think they will be prepared to deal with all that offense has to handle this time because they will have a ton of film on them and they will not get to implement anything radically new by that time of the season.

I am so FREAKIN happy that they have the right players finally to be a great defense. Now, they just have to go out their and be hungry every game and prove it
Outstanding post.

Let's pray for no more injuries and we have a great off season picking up more smart talent.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #64
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

by my reckoning, we are the #2 run D, allowing 3.5 ypc.

wow.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #65
Anikai
PUP List

Champ Bailey's Beard

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

well they're #1 in my heart
Anikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #66
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
What is it that y'all do not get. Dj had to renegioatate his contract to lower his money in order to come back.

Does that sound remotely like they value his value? That they plan to start him in a defense he has had zero time playing in over the last ten weeks?

It would be a slap in the face to everyone on the team, considering he brought this all on himself by being a dumb ass, to start him over the guys that got this defense into the top ten.

If he did not redo the contract he was not coming back. Period.

His participation level on the field depends solely on someone getting hurt. Or needing an breather.

He does not know the play book, has not practiced it, nor played it. MLB is a cerebral position unlike WLB. Lots of the success since mays was dropped, the improvement of the D is the direct result in Brookings making the right calls for the defense. Not his being a great athlete, replacing that would be a huge mistake.

John, John and JDR have went out of their way to bring in smart players, with no history of doing dumb things. DJ will not be on this team next year at least not as a starter and certainly not at 6 mil.
I think the bromance with DJ is coming to an end in DEN.
So who do you think DEN should target in the draft and in FA that would make them even better on defense specifically.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #67
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
Basically were the most complete team in the NFL. Top 5 Defense Top 5 Offense.

We lead the league in sacks with 31
Top 10 run defense
Top 10 pass defense
I'm starting to get wood. Those are Superbowl winner type of numbers.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #68
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Can we at least get SOME of the fact right here regarding DJ? If some of you don't think he can return and start fine, if some of you don't want him to return and start fine. But don't throw up stupid crap on this board that he doesn't know the playbook. He was here in camp and OTA's. He's been allowed to work with staff the past several weeks. He's not exactly a rookie who doesn't know the NFL speed. I'm fine if you don't want him or don't like him but don't be throwing straight up lies that he doesn't know the playbook.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #69
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

In JDR I trust.

However he choses to use DJ is fine with me.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #70
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Can we at least get SOME of the fact right here regarding DJ? If some of you don't think he can return and start fine, if some of you don't want him to return and start fine. But don't throw up stupid crap on this board that he doesn't know the playbook. He was here in camp and OTA's. He's been allowed to work with staff the past several weeks. He's not exactly a rookie who doesn't know the NFL speed. I'm fine if you don't want him or don't like him but don't be throwing straight up lies that he doesn't know the playbook.
we all know he knows the playbook. The entire twitter world is aware of that.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #71
*WARHORSE*
GNASHING OF TEETH

Let the heads roll.........

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lombardi III

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
So who do you think DEN should target in the draft and in FA that would make them even better on defense specifically.
MANTI !!!!!!
*WARHORSE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #72
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
In JDR I trust.

However he choses to use DJ is fine with me.
He will be in there rushing the passer when he is back. He is our best rushing LB not named Miller. Woodyard's torrid sack pace is falling off which is something I expected given this is a career year so far for sacks.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #73
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *WARHORSE* View Post
MANTI !!!!!!
So how high of a pick will it take to get him?
Hes the guy i think DEN should target, but is it feasible to get him?
Top 5?
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #74
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

If Elway really wants to impress the fan base, then make the draft count! Looks like he did good on this last draft, the wild card being Twilight. Excellent scouting and then listening to the scouts (and drafting accordingly) is what will make Elway a great GM. I doubt the Broncos will have any shot at Manti, so what they have to figure out is what great young ILB can they draft in the first 3 rounds, not named Manti?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #75
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post

RB: 1st priority - FA1
Primary need going into the offseason is probably an explosive, durable Running Back, who can contribute immediately. I would scour the FA market, but wouldn't spend more than $2M per year on one, because we could just draft a gamebreaker in the 1st round if necessary. McGahee needs help, and Hillman hasn't proven anything yet.

DT: 2nd priority - FA2
I know Vickerson is coming off a 2 sack game...but up to this point, the only DT with any sacks was Wolfe. If there is an upgrade in the FA market, we have to make a play.

MLB: 3rd priority - 1st round draft pick
I have Ogletree from Georgia penciled in as our 1st round draft pick, even though he doesn't play on a very good Defense. Brooking is on his last legs, and DJ is no MLB.

Slot WR: 4th priority - FA3
Would be nice to find another Stokley-type in the FA market, or later in the draft..just worried about Old Man Stokes longevity. We have nothing behind him on the depth chart. Drafting somebody like Austin Collie (4th round)would be another way to address the issue.

CB: 5th priority - 2nd round draft pick
Porter is probably gone next year. It would be wise to spend a 2nd round draft pick to replace him on the depth chart behind Tony Carter. Keep Harris in the slot.

SS: 6th priority - 3rd round draft pick
Mike Adams hasn't been terribly effective against TE's this year. I think Q. Carter's days are done after microfracture. Probably a good idea to draft another 3rd round SS to compete with Adams.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote