The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #751
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
It's perpetuating the stupid notion that "reverse racism" is somehow as big or bigger a problem than "regular racism".
Because everyone knows there's no group that's more persecuted than southern, white, middle class Christian males.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #752
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Franklin County, OH Shuts Down ‘True the Vote’ Suppression Group

Put a point in the “clean election” column. The conservative voter suppression group True the Vote just got shut down in one county in the swing state of Ohio.

Responding to allegations of fraud and voter suppression, the Franklin County Board of Elections revoked poll-watching credentials of True the Vote agents today.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/11...-down-in-ohio/
Old 11-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #753
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
It's logical, and best of all, you admit it's a guess.

My advice to Rev would be to sit in on a high school math class, and with the money he saves from taking a college stats class, he can buy himself a clue, or some more of that stuff he's smoking.

Basically, he's saying this:

Given - Obama is black
1 - 20% more black people voted for Obama than traditionally vote Democrat
Therefore - 20% of black people voted for Obama only because he's black.
Anyone have the % of blacks voting in 2004 compared to 2008? I would say that there was a big jump in registration to vote for Obama where blacks had not been voting in previous elections. Was the message that much bigger compared to Clinton (who was popular with blacks)? I would like to see the numbers and the increase from their vote.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #754
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Holy Chick-fil-A/Krispy Kreme, Batman!

‘Unskewed’ pollster: ‘Nate Silver was right and I was wrong’

Dean Chambers, the man who garnered praise from the right and notoriety on the left for his “Unskewed Polling” site, admitted today that his method was flawed.

“Nate Silver was right, and I was wrong,” Chambers said in a phone interview.

Chambers’ method of “unskewing” polls involved re-weighting the sample to match what he believed the electorate would look like, in terms of party identification. He thought the electorate would lean more Republican when mainstream pollsters routinely found samples that leaned Democratic.

But as it turned out, the pollsters were right — self-identified Democrats outnumbered Republicans by 6% in election exit polls.

Cont: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/0...d-i-was-wrong/
Old 11-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #755
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Anyone have the % of blacks voting in 2004 compared to 2008? I would say that there was a big jump in registration to vote for Obama where blacks had not been voting in previous elections. Was the message that much bigger compared to Clinton (who was popular with blacks)? I would like to see the numbers and the increase from their vote.
http://takingnote.tcf.org/2008/11/digging-into-th.html

Quote:
The share of black voters rose from 11 to 13 percent (hugely impressive for a group whose share of the overall population is growing very slowly) and the share of Hispanic voters rose from 8 to 9 percent. And blacks voted 95-4 for Obama (up from 88-11 in 2004), while Hispanics voted 67-31 for Obama
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #756
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
There would still be NO provable correlation. It's still an ignorant assumption based on two numbers that may or may not have anythig to do with one another. Interesting how you conveniently left out my post further down about the effect to ground campaign had on Boston's blocs traditionally unmotivated to vote.

I'd like to see the numbers for Clinton too, because there's no telling how much effect Hurricane Lili had on the black vote.

People, stop searching for reasons the Republicans lost handily on Tuesday other than the obvious, which is that their party is completely out of touch with its modern electorate.

Last edited by houghtam; 11-08-2012 at 01:49 PM..
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #757
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
^ This is what got me so animated on this topic to begin with. White males in particular voted against Obama in droves and yet we're supposed to be mad at African Americans for supporting a black candidate?
Yes, because there's no way to reach 62% of a demographic without racism in play.

I don't necessarily subscribe to the racism argument either way. But you guys going full retard the other direction doesn't make it any better. Republicans usually consider themselves lucky (nationally) to get more than 10 or 12 points among blacks. I'm sure Obama's race drew out some more black people that didn't previously vote, but overall this isn't really that big of a thing.

Well, I guess maybe the split itself is a big deal (and a problem), but mostly it's old news.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #758
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
Now we'll see whether or not the Dems go for the strategy of dumping on 49% of the electorate. Based on recent history, the chances seem good.
Well, we'll see. The Dems hopefully don't think they can lord it over the GOP without making some concessions themselves. The GOP cannot hang onto the "no tax increases no way" stance. The Dems are gonna have to give some ground on some fiscal issues, throw the GOP some bones so to speak.

Both sides are gonna have to make some concessions, be statesman instead of partisan. Now they're not in election mode maybe they'll be devoting their time to talking to each other instead of campaigning.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #759
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
People, stop searching for reasons the Republicans lost handily on Tuesday other than the obvious, which is that their party is completely out of touch with its modern electorate.
Ah yes, the 50 to 48 landslide. Clearly they must throw everything out and start over again. Become slightly less-liberal Democrats. Foolproof.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #760
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Lol at all the emotional butt-hurt feelings. Losing is a part of partcipating. Everybody got their vote and the results are the results. No matter who won, we're on the long road to the bottom because of the outright mismanangement and poor decisons of the babyboomers. The public debt is the number one issue for me and it's not going to get addressed by either of these factions.
Oh, it will absolutely get addressed soon. The far wings of the parties may not like the result, but it will be addressed. And the trouble is the far wings of both parties, they both want it all their own way, no compromise. The Centrists of both parties get overwhelmed by the wingers.

We'll see some movement on both sides of the aisle. I'm hopeful anyway.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #761
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
It's logical, and best of all, you admit it's a guess.

My advice to Rev would be to sit in on a high school math class, and with the money he saves from taking a college stats class, he can buy himself a clue, or some more of that stuff he's smoking.

Basically, he's saying this:

Given - Obama is black
Therefore - 20% of black people voted for Obama only because he's black.

Look, I can do it too!

Given - There was a hurricane 4 days before the election
Therefore - 20% of black people only voted for Obama because there was a hurricane 4 days before the election.

My guess what happened is this. We all know and have seen over the past two cycles that Obama has basically run the best ground game in presidential campaign history. He reached out to many voting blocs, including blacks, but also including young people, latinos and women, who traditionally have had lower participation for various reasons, one of them being that they didn't feel they were represented in government.

I don't know about you guys, but I know several people...several white people, in fact, who said the same...I've never voted before, but it seems to me like Obama has more of my interests in mind, not just more than the "other guy", but more than anyone else has ever had who's run for president.

To simply look at one stat, and come up with a silly conclusion like that, really makes one look stupid. And I mean stupid, not in the "you're a stupid-head" way, I mean in the "you literally lack intelligence" way.
This is yet another example of you creating false conclusions and supporting them with absolutely nothing.

Celebrate if your guy won.

Celebrating how he won is he disgusting me and I hope you're all ashamed of yourselves.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #762
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

ITT: Agenda-influenced liberals justify racism because it put their candidate in the white house.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #763
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Clinton - who like you said was enormously popular with blacks - received 82% of the black vote. A large number indeed, but not even CLOSE to the 93% by Barack... oh and that's not even mentioning the massive disparity in the approval ratings between Clinton and Obama.

Literally EVERY historical and statistical indicator is a glaring neon sign of how ****ed up this was... yet these guys are defending it like nothing I've ever seen before.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #764
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I don't necessarily subscribe to the racism argument either way. But you guys going full retard the other direction doesn't make it any better. Republicans usually consider themselves lucky (nationally) to get more than 10 or 12 points among blacks. I'm sure Obama's race drew out some more black people that didn't previously vote, but overall this isn't really that big of a thing.
The bolded parts are pretty much what I've been saying. Blacks generally vote Dem anyway, and this really isn't that big of a deal.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #765
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

People that are making the Blacks voted for Obama solely because of race argument let me ask you a hypothetical question. . . one that I'm convinced the right power structure is already contemplating. Let's say in 2016 the right nominates Condie Rice for President and Rubio for Veep. The Dems nominate Hillary. Do you really think 90 + percent of African American voters would break for Condie? I'd be willing to bet a steak dinner that she'd pull less than 20 percent of the Black vote against Hillary.

But I guarantee you in 2016 that the Republicans are going to nominate a minority candidate either for POTUS or Veep . Rubio, Condie, etc. Honestly, I'm surprised the Bush clan hasn't started grooming George P. Bush yet.
He's intelligent (much more George H. than George W.) his mother is a naturalized citizen from Mexico (he gives interviews on Univision in Spanish.) He's an attorney and served in the Navy. It'll be interesting to see if he starts running for public office soon.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #766
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
The bolded parts are pretty much what I've been saying. Blacks generally vote Dem anyway, and this really isn't that big of a deal.

You would be flipping your **** worse than just about anyone if the shoe were on the other foot.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #767
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
People that are making the Blacks voted for Obama solely because of race argument let me ask you a hypothetical question. . . one that I'm convinced the right power structure is already contemplating. Let's say in 2016 the right nominates Condie Rice for President and Rubio for Veep. The Dems nominate Hillary. Do you really think 90 + percent of African American voters would break for Condie? I'd be willing to bet a steak dinner that she'd pull less than 20 percent of the Black vote against Hillary.

But I guarantee you in 2016 that the Republicans are going to nominate a minority candidate either for POTUS or Veep . Rubio, Condie, etc. Honestly, I'm surprised the Bush clan hasn't started grooming George P. Bush yet.
He's intelligent (much more George H. than George W.) his mother is a naturalized citizen from Mexico (he gives interviews on Univision in Spanish.) He's an attorney and served in the Navy. It'll be interesting to see if he starts running for public office soon.
A week ago, I would've agreed with you.

Today? I'll take a mortgage on that bet.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #768
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
A week ago, I would've agreed with you.

Today? I'll take a mortgage on that bet.

To be settled in 2016!
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #769
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Clinton - who like you said was enormously popular with blacks - received 82% of the black vote. A large number indeed, but not even CLOSE to the 93% by Barack... oh and that's not even mentioning the massive disparity in the approval ratings between Clinton and Obama.

Literally EVERY historical and statistical indicator is a glaring neon sign of how ****ed up this was... yet these guys are defending it like nothing I've ever seen before.
Clinton got 82% first run, 84% second run, and Gore got 90% in 2000. So from Gore to Obama its not that big of a difference.

In 88 Dukakis got 90% black vote.

In 96 Perot got 8.6% of the black vote.

Food for thought.

Last edited by Irish Stout; 11-08-2012 at 02:32 PM..
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #770
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post

To be settled in 2016!

Your own example actually plays into my big long-term concern regarding parties nominating the best minority candidate to win what's now clearly defined as a "racial loyalty vote" as opposed to the best candidate.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #771
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Gore got 90% in 2000. So from Gore to Obama its not that big of a difference.

In 88 Dukakis got 90% black vote.
Well, Rev, your whole argument is now in smoldering ruins.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #772
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Well, Rev, your whole argument is now in smoldering ruins.
Hardly. Now you're just completely hiding from voter turnout just to continue supporting your racial agenda. (PS. 90% isn't correct either, just as an FYI)

Congrats.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #773
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Speaking of influence, I think the "Fiscal Cliff" is going to get solved quickly. Why? Because Wall Street and the banksters are pissed off and are going to pressure both sides to get it done. They just gave Romney and the Republicans millions of dollars and didn't get squat on the investment. They're not going to take any **** from the GOP and will probably start hinting that all their money goes to the Dems in the midterms if the deal doesn't get done.

The next thing to happen will be immigration reform. Why? Because the GOP can see the writing on the wall. They just got their asses kicked in this election. They are going to be looking forward to the midterms in two years and realize they could get their asses kicked again if they don't do comprehensive immigration reform. In other words, they've got to turn around how they are perceived by Latinos. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see some Republican jump out ahead on the legislation and try to make it a GOP associated agenda item.

As far as "Obamacare" goes, I don't think we're going hear about it again.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #774
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Speaking of influence, I think the "Fiscal Cliff" is going to get solved quickly. Why? Because Wall Street and the banksters are pissed off and are going to pressure both sides to get it done. They just gave Romney and the Republicans millions of dollars and didn't get squat on the investment. They're not going to take any **** from the GOP and will probably start hinting that all their money goes to the Dems in the midterms if the deal doesn't get done.

The next thing to happen will be immigration reform. Why? Because the GOP can see the writing on the wall. They just got their asses kicked in this election. They are going to be looking forward to the midterms in two years and realize they could get their asses kicked again if they don't do comprehensive immigration reform. In other words, they've got to turn around how they are perceived by Latinos. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see some Republican jump out ahead on the legislation and try to make it a GOP associated agenda item.

So on immigration reform, what exactly needs to be reformed?
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #775
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post

And before the "he only won by two points" crowd chimes in, it was, in nearly every sense of the phrase, an ass-kicking. There were far more elections out there than the presidency. The first Asian American congresswoman, the first openly gay senator, 20 women senators, openly gay state congress members in states like North Dakota and West Virginia, two states voting for gay marriage, two more states voting against gay marriage bans, marijuana laws passing, the judge in Iowa who overturned a gay marriage ban being re-elected...the list goes on, and on, and on.

The electorate is changing, and the minorities (who will in the near future no longer be numerical minorities) have spoken. The right needs to get in line, or we're going to see a two-party system of mainly democtrats vs. libertarians or constitutionists, and sooner rather than later.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote