The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Panthers this week: The Return of Fox

So there aren't any Panthers threads on this site for some reason and I'm starting one.

First is this is a dangerous team that has been in every game and just about won two road games against very competitive teams .

The biggest concern is their front. Most of their sacks have come without blitzing. They have a rookie linebacker who's playing mike filling in for Beason and has been putting on a clinic. I think their backside is their weakest area, and they aren't that bad in the secondary, they just aren't as good as their front.

It was mentioned during the excellent OM Podcast that this is someone we should roll. I would love to see the team do that for Fox and to shove it up their owner's throat for cornholling Fox. (FYI SoCal, This is a case of what you are mad at Bowlen about except unlike your issues with Bowlen, this actually happened: cheap owner. It was documented by the media and off the record people in the front office that Fox was forced out.)

I DON'T think it will be a blowout. I think it will be a close game. They have enough ballance on offense and one of those mobile QB's that have given us headaches that we should find ourselves with some frustrating third down conversions again. Their defense is active. Most of all, they are the second road team in a row and we're flying east again. I just think that's all going to play a factor.

I think we have a decent shot of winning, but Taco mentioned it would be demoralizing to lose and I wouldn't be demoralized. I would see it as splitting a road trip, which is a fairly good recipe for making the playoffs.

Thoughts?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Cam Newton is frightening... a scrambling quarterback could really pose problems for our defense, as Dumerville, Woodyard, and our 2nd and 3rd cornerbacks are exceptionally tiny for their positions.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
So there aren't any Panthers threads on this site for some reason and I'm starting one.

First is this is a dangerous team that has been in every game and just about won two road games against very competitive teams .

The biggest concern is their front. Most of their sacks have come without blitzing. They have a rookie linebacker who's playing mike filling in for Beason and has been putting on a clinic. I think their backside is their weakest area, and they aren't that bad in the secondary, they just aren't as good as their front.

It was mentioned during the excellent OM Podcast that this is someone we should roll. I would love to see the team do that for Fox and to shove it up their owner's throat for cornholling Fox. (FYI SoCal, This is a case of what you are mad at Bowlen about except unlike your issues with Bowlen, this actually happened: cheap owner. It was documented by the media and off the record people in the front office that Fox was forced out.)

I DON'T think it will be a blowout. I think it will be a close game. They have enough ballance on offense and one of those mobile QB's that have given us headaches that we should find ourselves with some frustrating third down conversions again. Their defense is active. Most of all, they are the second road team in a row and we're flying east again. I just think that's all going to play a factor.

I think we have a decent shot of winning, but Taco mentioned it would be demoralizing to lose and I wouldn't be demoralized. I would see it as splitting a road trip, which is a fairly good recipe for making the playoffs.

Thoughts?
They have FOUR DE's on the injury report along with their best starting DT.

4 of which DNP

2 of those are their best 2 DL.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
CEH
Ring of Famer

Manning and Fox are going into this game for revenge. Fox for being hung out to dry by Richardson the year before the lockout and Richardson telling Manning during the lockout to butt out and stay with football. Manning I'm sure never forgets being slighted by anyone

Both will be primed for this gam e and If Denver gets up on CAR early they will crush the Panthers.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

they have lost 6 games by 6 or less points.

They have been in most every game, just not able to finish them. I do agree it will be close, but it is not a game we should by any means lose. I would be disappointed for sure if they cant beat up on that defense.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
Bmore Manning

Not too concerned about what Carolina brings to the table offensively. Olsen will pose a problem in the passing game, since we have struggled verse TE play this season, but otherwise it's all about discipline when going against Carolina and their rushing attack. The recipe for success is get a lead, force the game to be squarely on Cams shoulders. I'm in no way saying look past this game, but I don't see it being overly daunting to be quiet honest.

On a side note has anybody seen the guys over at Profootball Focus are very critical of Derek Wolfe?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ngals-week-10/
Old 11-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Being from Carolina I have watched several of their games.

The Broncos shoot themselves in the foot early, then come roaring back.

The Panthers play well most of the game, then shoot themselves in the foot at the end.

Panthers seem to have this "Here we go again " mentality when things go wrong. Also, while the Broncos have benched some non-performers (Mays, Moreno), Carolina seems content to field the same old trash. Not sure if that's due to injuries though.

I like our chances alot in this game, but hope the Broncos don't get overconfident.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
They have a rookie linebacker who's playing mike filling in for Beason and has been putting on a clinic.
Luke Kuechly from BC......I really, really wish we had found a way to move up and grab him on draft day.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:

Thoughts?
Any time Denver plays a running QB with a live arm, I get worried. Part of it is irrational fear stemming from when I had 40 yard-line seats to watch Vick go ape**** at Investco years back. The talent discrepancies between top tier and lower tier NFL teams isn't huge. A couple of turnovers or deep hitters can easily decide a game. I worry about Cam breaking contain out of the pocket and hitting a couple of big deep throws. He can be terrible for 12 throws, but always has that ability to truck a blitzing safety and launch a 65 yard pass off his back foot on third down. Best thing to do is force him to go through his progressions in the pocket and make the short and intermediate timing throws.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

I'm pretty psyched for this game. Tickets in hand!
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Cam Newton 40 time: 4.58
Von Miller 40 time: 4.49

Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #12
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Cam can't put them over the top in the 4th quarter and Broncos are one of the best in the 4th quarter. Close game but our ever improved defense steps up and makes it a complete game for the Broncos. We win 28 to 20.

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 11-08-2012 at 10:25 AM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #13
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Cam Newton 40 time: 4.58
Von Miller 40 time: 4.49

if I'm JDR, I'd consider having VM spy Cam. You see Cam drop back to pass, mirror him and when he breaks contain, stop him right there. See a read option: Von takes the QB.

Steve Smith is the Panthers most dangerous player - Champ will take care of him. Cam is the second - let Von negate him. That's it.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

I think Fox and Manning have this team come out of the gate full-throttle. We take an early 14-0 lead, and then cruise to a 31-10 victory.

or, Panthers keep it close in 1st half - 10-7, or something like that. Fox/Del Rio/Manning find proper half-time adjustments and step on it. Final score: 31-10.

either way - I don't think this will be close.

*knocks on wood*
Old 11-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #15
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Cam is inevitably going to drop a couple passes into our DBs hands - we need to hang onto them and take advantage of the mistakes. Cam starts to unravel when the opposition takes advantage of his mistakes as bad or worse than Cutler used to when he was here.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Not too concerned about what Carolina brings to the table offensively. Olsen will pose a problem in the passing game, since we have struggled verse TE play this season, but otherwise it's all about discipline when going against Carolina and their rushing attack. The recipe for success is get a lead, force the game to be squarely on Cams shoulders. I'm in no way saying look past this game, but I don't see it being overly daunting to be quiet honest.

On a side note has anybody seen the guys over at Profootball Focus are very critical of Derek Wolfe?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ngals-week-10/
Yeah I lost all belief in that site after the graded KCs OL as the second best in the NFL.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Each game is a fun challenege for our developing Broncos. Indeed the scrambling Qb's with a "live arm" have given us big trouble in the past. I hope that our new defensive discipline and team play will help us handle the Panthers without any gimmicks.

That being said, this game is still 100% about Manning and our offense. If the offense comes out of the gates firing on all cylinders (or even most of them), this game should be in hand by halftime (up 10+ points).

It will be interesting to see how the injuries to Kuper, Tamme (elbow?), and DT (foot/ankle?) affect our production.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #18
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
They have FOUR DE's on the injury report along with their best starting DT.

4 of which DNP

2 of those are their best 2 DL.
Yes - Especially if Dwan Edwards cannot go it will bode well for Ramirez. That's a matchup that concerns me.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #19
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Yeah I lost all belief in that site after the graded KCs OL as the second best in the NFL.
On paper, based on last years performance and the acquisition of Eric Winston, they have a very good looking line.. ON PAPER. They are one of the top rushing teams in football, and with a real QB back there, their pass protection would certainly improve.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #20
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

This game is really all about containing the run game - if we can keep Carolina from running the ball consistently we can force the game into the air which is where we are MUCH better than them in every aspect: Peyton Manning >> Cam Newton, Thomas, Decker > Steve Smith, Lafell, Denver Oline > Carolina Oline, Miller, Dumervil > Hardy, Johnson, Champ Bailey, Harris > Munnerlyn, Norman.

If this becomes a passing match, we will win it handily. We need to contain Newton early so they can not use planned QB rushes, we need to limit Stewart especially to keep them in 2nd and long and 3rd and long situations.

Our defense has to be in their toes and be ready for lose balls, Newton on average throws 1 pick and drops 1 ball on the ground per game with our pass rush we need to be ready to get those lose balls and errant throws.

On defense Hardy, Johnson and Dwan Edwards provide all the Panthers pass rush so we need our tackles to play well, and they have been all year and we need Koppen and the RBs to help out Ramirez on the inside if Edwards plays. Their secondary does not force a lot of turnovers, they have 5 INTs all year and no player stands out when it comes to defending the pass, so our WRs especially should be able to make plays pretty consistently. Against this 43 front I would expect to see a lot of 2 TE plays to try take advantage of their outside linebackers and safeties, all of which belong in the shallow end of the NFL talent pool.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #21
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I thought this was funny on a Panther's message board:
http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards...eyton-manning/

Quote:
against peyton manning, a 2 possession lead going into the fourth quarter may as well be a 1 point lead with 3 quarters left and no defense on the field.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #22
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
On paper, based on last years performance and the acquisition of Eric Winston, they have a very good looking line.. ON PAPER. They are one of the top rushing teams in football, and with a real QB back there, their pass protection would certainly improve.
Games aren't played on paper.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #23
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Games aren't played on paper.
Agreed.. Just look at Dallas and Philadelphia. I just could understand why they would grade them so well, especially prior to the season.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #24
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Agreed.. Just look at Dallas and Philadelphia. I just could understand why they would grade them so well, especially prior to the season.
From what I understand this grade came out a couple weeks ago.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #25
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I still think it would be a bit demoralizing to lose. Carolina is not a team we should lose to, even on the road. I obviously wouldn't consider our season over, but we're only one game up on San Diego right now, and they've got an easy schedule the rest of the way. For them to pull even with us the week before we play them again would put our lead in the division in serious jeopardy. (of course, they've got to beat Tampa Bay this week)
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote