The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #576
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Mitch McConnell sent a far less conciliatory message. Basically, he's still saying, "My way or the highway." The way the numbers are shaping up, this is an ass kicking of the Republican Party. Sounds like their leadership is just going to stay in their bubble and pretend it didn't happen. If I was to characterize this election, I would say the people are sending a very clear message: They are sick of extremists and sick of gridlock. IMO, the Right in Washington is just going to ignore it.
If they were sick of extremists, they would not have elected a man who thinks cutting 1% off federal spending several years in the future is "draconian" and regards trillion dollar plus deficits as a political problem, not an economic problem.

That said, I wish the Republicans had lost the house tonight too. America is going over the cliff and it's very important that Americans know who is to blame. It's far better to have a coherent opposition party than for everyone to share responsibility for what is coming.

In any event, now we are Greece. And we have no German sugar daddy to bail us out. Hold onto your hats.

So go Broncos! If we are going to have to live thru the endgame of the modern progressive state, at least the Broncos could win one more Superbowl.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #577
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdf View Post
If they were sick of extremists, they would not have elected a man who thinks cutting 1% off federal spending several years in the future is "draconian" and regards trillion dollar plus deficits as a political problem, not an economic problem.

That said, I wish the Republicans had lost the house tonight too. America is going over the cliff and it's very important that Americans know who is to blame. It's far better to have a coherent opposition party than for everyone to share responsibility for what is coming.

In any event, now we are Greece. And we have no German sugar daddy to bail us out. Hold onto your hats.

So go Broncos! If we are going to have to live thru the endgame of the modern progressive state, at least the Broncos could win one more Superbowl.
Jesus Christ, drama queen.

Or you could contact your reps and let them know that working with the (now two-term) President won't be the end of the ****ing world as we know it, and maybe now that they don't have that be-all end-all goal of denying Obama a second term they should, you know, WORK FOR THE ****ING COUNTRY INSTEAD OF THEIR ****ING SELVES.

But sure. Giving up and b****ing about the end of days seems like a much easier proposition.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #578
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Donald Trump, unhinged.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #579
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Donald Trump, unhinged.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump
Honestly, I think Trump has come unhinged. Doesn't he have handlers or family to tell him to shut the hell up? He sounds like a fool.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #580
KevinJames
DT

saw someone say

"Trump sounds like hes ready to turn against USA completely and invest in a super power."

KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #581
beardedwonder
Rookie

go america. go broncos.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

trump 2016?

it would be another 4 years of democrats
beardedwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:04 AM   #582
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Mitch McConnell sent a far less conciliatory message. Basically, he's still saying, "My way or the highway." The way the numbers are shaping up, this is an ass kicking of the Republican Party. Sounds like their leadership is just going to stay in their bubble and pretend it didn't happen. If I was to characterize this election, I would say the people are sending a very clear message: They are sick of extremists and sick of gridlock. IMO, the Right in Washington is just going to ignore it.
Really? I don't think the results say that at all. Obama will run up a good count in the electoral college, but the popular vote total is almost a split, while the House remains solidly in Rep hands, Dems gain in the Senate and Reps gain another governor (maybe 2 more as those are still to close to call).

Take all of that together and it sounds like people voted for gridlock, a continuation of the last 2 years.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:29 AM   #583
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Really? I don't think the results say that at all. Obama will run up a good count in the electoral college, but the popular vote total is almost a split, while the House remains solidly in Rep hands, Dems gain in the Senate and Reps gain another governor (maybe 2 more as those are still to close to call).

Take all of that together and it sounds like people voted for gridlock, a continuation of the last 2 years.
Obama will win by 1-2%, and be over 50%. He's the first Dem to win >50% of the popular vote, now in both elections, since FDR. 1-2% popular vote with no legitimate 3rd party is a solid win, breaking 50% is also a solid win.

Obama's views (higher taxes on the wealthy to bring down the debt, leveling military spending out and stopping it's rapid growth, etc.) are all views that have bee strongly supported in election polls and are key reasons he got elected.

The senate and congressional seats in play favored GOP pickups and the GOP failed to gain any ground, instead losing more to the Dems.

The fringe right has been denounced this election as a traditionally red seat was given up by Murdock and a very weak McCaskill destroyed Akin. If the GOP fails to realize that social conservatism is being repudiated by mainstream America they'll lose more ground in the 2012 midterm.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:17 AM   #584
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Obama will win by 1-2%, and be over 50%. He's the first Dem to win >50% of the popular vote, now in both elections, since FDR. 1-2% popular vote with no legitimate 3rd party is a solid win, breaking 50% is also a solid win.

Obama's views (higher taxes on the wealthy to bring down the debt, leveling military spending out and stopping it's rapid growth, etc.) are all views that have bee strongly supported in election polls and are key reasons he got elected.

The senate and congressional seats in play favored GOP pickups and the GOP failed to gain any ground, instead losing more to the Dems.

The fringe right has been denounced this election as a traditionally red seat was given up by Murdock and a very weak McCaskill destroyed Akin. If the GOP fails to realize that social conservatism is being repudiated by mainstream America they'll lose more ground in the 2012 midterm.
That's a convenient read and all. But as of now President O still counts 3 million less votes than GWB got in 2004. Even as the nation has grown larger over 8 years. So let's not pretend that O is building any bridges. Some people just stayed home.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #585
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
So you're saying he did okay, except for the races he didn't? And I think you mean Nevada instead of AZ (he predicted Angle to win by 3 and Reid won by 5.5). There were only 5 close races in the senate that year and he got 3 wrong, including 1 massively wrong (8.5% off). He gave the Republicans as much chance of picking up 60+ seats as he has given Romney to win (R's picked up 63).

So yeah, he's not all that great.
Silver slapped the taste out your right-wing mouth. Once again, he nailed the election.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #586
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
California....Biggest BLUE state in the country!

Remind me....what state is the worst fiscally in the nation Hmm?

Texas..............the #1 business state in the country. Oh.....guess what...we're a "RED" state.
9 of the 10 highest per capita income states in the country were won by Obama.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #587
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Anybody watch Faux News last night? I didn't but am reading this morning that it was high comedy. A good tween on the subject:

Quote:
Someone should let Karl Rove know that while he's questioning the result in Ohio, Obama is winning in Florida, Colorado, and Virginia.
@jonlovett
Old 11-07-2012, 06:25 AM   #588
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
9 of the 10 highest per capita income states in the country were won by Obama.
...he says without mentioning how much of that is indicative towards cost of living (NY, CA, etc)
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:34 AM   #589
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Really happy the house is still GOP. I'll be honest with you, this actually bodes well for the 2014 elections for Republicans. Typically the party that wins the white house wins decently in congress. Obama barely moved the needle.

So either Republicans will back the senate and more of the house next election, or the economy will (hopefully) have improved enough that we hold steady at the very least.

I am disappointed but not without hope. I just really would like to see both parties put in a decent bi-partisan effort. And hopefully Obama won't go off on some pet project and put together a real economic plan for this country.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #590
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
That's a convenient read and all. But as of now President O still counts 3 million less votes than GWB got in 2004. Even as the nation has grown larger over 8 years. So let's not pretend that O is building any bridges. Some people just stayed home.
! I think it was 2004 that helped out last night. People had it pretty damn good in the 90's, got something different in the 2000's, had a national tragedy, and after the 2004 election found that what they had elected had created a clusterfuc based on lies and ineptness. They also realized that party had handed the next President a mess of porportions unseen by these generations and he hadn't done such a bad job in handling it and feared going back to a party that has tried to hand us a stereotypical Democrat when it's actually them that are doing exactly that.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #591
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Well I tried to fire the President yesterday, but I got over rulled. Now that this is over, I'll sit and wait to see if I'm one of the unlucky ones to be laid off now. Hopefully I have enough time in to make it.
GreatBronco16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #592
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
...he says without mentioning how much of that is indicative towards cost of living (NY, CA, etc)
8 out of 10 of the highest GDP states as well, if I'm not mistaken. Says at least a little something. But keep ignoring that data. It's what the GOP did the last two elections. Maybe they finally learned their lesson? I guess we'll see.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #593
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
8 out of 10 of the highest GDP states as well, if I'm not mistaken. Says at least a little something. But keep ignoring that data. It's what the GOP did the last two elections. Maybe they finally learned their lesson? I guess we'll see.
...I'd bet a good chunk of money that 80%+ of the high income rural counties were red and that the lower income but much higher populated urban settings went blue, so don't pretend it's nearly as cut and dry as you're smoke&mirrors-ing it to be.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #594
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

I think the demographics of the relative constituencies is interesting.

Romney - White men & Seniors

Obama - Women & Latinos & Blacks
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #595
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

This election was hardly and indictment of the GOP. I think overwhelmingly the populace felt like Obama inheritted at least some of this and Romney was demonized enough that they felt they will give what they know more time. The fact that many people voted a split ticket is clear on this. If Dems won across the board, that would be one thing. They didn't. And nothing substantively changed.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #596
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Blart posted this in the WRP. Worth a read.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...h_the_gop.html
Old 11-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #597
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
! I think it was 2004 that helped out last night. People had it pretty damn good in the 90's, got something different in the 2000's, had a national tragedy, and after the 2004 election found that what they had elected had created a clusterfuc based on lies and ineptness. They also realized that party had handed the next President a mess of porportions unseen by these generations and he hadn't done such a bad job in handling it and feared going back to a party that has tried to hand us a stereotypical Democrat when it's actually them that are doing exactly that.
I think you're missing the point. There were less actual votes cast last night then in 2004. By a wide margin. President Obama's actually about where John Kerry was in number of votes cast.

He even currently has less votes than McCain did in 2008. He didn't win by big-tent coalition building. He won because a lot of people stayed home rather than vote for either one of these two.

Don't get me wrong, the scorched earth tactics proved brilliant in the end. It may have won what would otherwise have been a tough election to pull out. But let's not pretend this is part of some vast political realignment. Based on current count, 12 million voters that voted in 2008 didn't show up this time, even though the election was tighter. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of either candidate.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #598
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Beavis, you can spin it any way you want to make yourself feel better. You can ignore reality just like Dick Morris, Peggy Noonan, Michael Barone, George Will, Laura Ingraham, and Karl Rove, and a host of others chose to. But the facts on the ground are that women, Latinos, young, and African Americans supported Obama. If you're interested not only in a political present but a political future you need to take note of those demographics. Winning white men, evangelicals, and the south isn't going to get it done any more. Need not only a bigger tent, but perhaps a whole new one.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #599
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
But the facts on the ground are that women, Latinos, young, and African Americans supported Obama.
And they did so by turning out 10 million fewer people than last time.

Interesting method of "support"

Fewer votes than McCain is now a super-mandate. You were saying something about spin?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #600
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Beavis, you can spin it any way you want to make yourself feel better. You can ignore reality just like Dick Morris, Peggy Noonan, Michael Barone, George Will, Laura Ingraham, and Karl Rove, and a host of others chose to. But the facts on the ground are that women, Latinos, young, and African Americans supported Obama. If you're interested not only in a political present but a political future you need to take note of those demographics. Winning white men, evangelicals, and the south isn't going to get it done any more. Need not only a bigger tent, but perhaps a whole new one.
That's what I saw. The republican party is in trouble going forward.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote