The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #76
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

"In selecting men for office, let principle be your guide. Regard not the particular sect or denomination of the candidate--look to his character. "
Noah Webster
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #77
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I like the electoral college. Otherwise you have the coasts deciding who is president.

Or Utah and the Midwest. God help us
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #78
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
It's also an absolute nightmare to enforce because the legislation to support it in Colorado is simply not there yet. 4-6 years away from getting there.

But the "Yes on 64" folks would not listen to reason. They were probably stoned.
I voted for it for one simple reason: It stirs the pot. It tells Washington that the American people are fed up with their idiotic war on drugs. The cowards in Washington will never be the ones to speak up first. They have to be dragged, screaming into reality. The people have to send the message.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #79
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I voted just so I could wear the cool sticker.
America -- making stickers cool once every 4 years!
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #80
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I voted for it for one simple reason: It stirs the pot. It tells Washington that the American people are fed up with their idiotic war on drugs. The cowards in Washington will never be the ones to speak up first. They have to be dragged, screaming into reality. The people have to send the message.

In a perfect world, states would determine for themselves every social issue and leave Washington with defense and commerce.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #81
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

I volunteered all week to make polling calls and here are my predictiins for Ohio and Nevada:

- ohioans will answer their phones
- nevadans not so much
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #82
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
In a perfect world, states would determine for themselves every social issue and leave Washington with defense and commerce.

As long as it doesn't violate the Constitution.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #83
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

I volunteered all week to make polling calls and here are my predictiins for Ohio and Nevada:

- ohioans will answer their phones
- nevadans not so much
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #84
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
As long as it doesn't violate the Constitution.

Indeed.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #85
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Election day makes me feel patriotic.

Let's hear it for the United States of America! Land of the free! Home of the Brave!

Old 11-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #86
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran

Happy to see this thread - regardless of who you vote for I strongly believe it is important for everyone to voice their opinion by voting - even if I disagree it.

Barack Obama - Sept 25 at the UN:

"Here in the United States, countless publications provoke offense. Like me, the majority of Americans are Christian, and yet we do not ban blasphemy against our most sacred beliefs. As president of our country, and commander in chief of our military, I accept that people are going to call me awful things every day, and I will always defend their right to do so. "

Everyone who wants to vote and exercise their opinion and is legally allowed to vote should be able to and I hope they do.
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #87
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Non-voter and proud of it!
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #88
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Really? Why does this instill pride?
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #89
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
I did likewise, and for the same reason. But I also did so thinking there was very little chance of passage.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #90
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Rep.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #91
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #92
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Really? Why does this instill pride?
He's not american. he's making a funny
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #93
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Election day makes me feel patriotic.
IMO there's nothing more patriotic than killing some redcoats, preferably with a tomahawk.

Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #94
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
And the data might be wrong. Polls with dems regularly +5 or more skews the polls and supposes voter enthusiasm will side with the democrats, like in 2008. Also of assumptions to make.

Not true about skewed momentum factors in the better analysis of aggregate poll averages. Those more complete and reliable models account for likely momentum as much as it's possible.

And a very critical factor in this case is that the only sign of momentum direction that gives us any real indication at this point beyond wishful thinking or fantasy, is the fact that in a dramatic majority of polls over the last week, and increasingly so with each passing day up through this morning, there has been a consistent and steady, even if small and incremental, shift in obvious momentum toward Obama.

That is just an objective fact based on the published polls at this point.

Romney's ONLY snowball's chance in hell to win at this point is if there has been a collective statistical bias in nearly all the polls, both individually and when taken in aggregate which, while statistically possible, is 'EXCEEDINGLY' unlikely to happen ...

The polls, of course are not infallible, however they have been, by in large, far more accurate since the mid to late 90's than from the eighties and earlier due to vastly improved understanding and technical improvements in how to model and structure polls.

If the majority of polls over the last week had started to break toward Romney, then your wishful thinking might well have a lot more merit.

But in fact, its been the exact opposite this past week with Obama gaining in momentum almost across the board in swing states as well as moving up in the national polls as well. That is a very hard reality to overcome for anyone trying to find some solace or comfort in the projection of a Romney win at this point.

In essence, Romney's only hope is now down to a Hail Mary TD from Romney's own 20 yard line with 1 second on the clock with Von, Doom and Wolfe crashing the line and with Champ, Darrell Revis and Cromartie locking down the republican receivers. It has happened, it can happen, but I sure wouldn't bet one red cent on it happening tonight at this point!

Regardless of whom nerdy Nate Silver is pulling for personally, I can find no inherent bias or flaw in his methodology or mathematics. Read his book 'The Signal and the Noise', as I did, and you are bound to be impressed at the level of detail and cross-checking he adopts to argue against what his own models might seem to be suggesting at each step of the way. Silver does this in order to continually refine those models and to give more accurate and unbiased prognostications .. his rep depends on it.

Silver isn't running any of these polls himself, his analysis is looking at what the combination of all the polls are saying in total which is a dramatically more powerful and reliable view on what is likely to happen than depending on any one or a handful of individual polls regardless if their 'house effect' leans toward Obama or Romney.

And it is certainly more solid than any amount of wishful spin from either the right or left about 'their guy'.

Those polls with a known consistent bias for either side are adjusted for in his models, such that PPP, Pew, Democracy Corp. and a couple others that tend to skew a few points toward Obama/Democrats are weighted as such, just as Rasmussen, Gallup, Gravis, Zogby and a couple of others that consistently overrate Romney/Republican chances are adjusted and weighted accordingly.

Thus, if Romney wins at this point it will truly be a large shock and upset even though the race is technically close... and I very much doubt that's going to happen. Kind of like the odds of the Broncos coming from behind to win at SD on the road in the second half with a 24-0 half time deficit!

That kind of win happens, obviously, but only once in a very blue moon. Consider that awesome Bronco win was tied, or something like that, for the largest comeback in a 665 game Monday night football history ... and also was tied in all of Bronco history!? That gives you a rough idea of what the approximate odds are. Romney's might be slightly better at this point but not much and the analogy is a good one.

In Silver's last model posted today, prior to us all getting the real results, he ran the total of all polls through his model for 100 repeat elections .. Obama won 91 times and Romney 9 times. That is not no chance for Romney, but I really wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now.

Put it this way, if Obama wins Virginia whose polls close at 7pm EST we can all go to bed early as the fat lady will have already sung.

Its sure to be an interesting evening regardless.

Last edited by Hulamau; 11-06-2012 at 12:35 PM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #95
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
IMO there's nothing more patriotic than killing some redcoats, preferably with a tomahawk.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #96
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
I did likewise, and for the same reason. But I also did so thinking there was very little chance of passage.
It was polling pretty favorably as of two days ago....I'd be surprised if it didn't pass.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #97
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't care which politicians you vote for, but to everyone in Colorado:

VOTE YES ON AMENDMENT 64.

Don't do it for me. Do it for the people whose lives won't be taken by Mexican drug cartels. Do it for the promise of a hemp industry. Do it to keep your cousin, your son, your niece, your neighbor, maybe even yourself from becoming a criminal simply for a choice they make about spending their leisure time in a way that hurts no one!

Last edited by chickennob2; 11-06-2012 at 12:19 PM..
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #98
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
I agree its idiotic. I dont care if someone wants to smoke weed. But at the moment, even if this law passes people will still be arrested and imprisoned for having it. People who open up "weed stores" could have their property seized and their assets frozen. The proposed amendment provides no protections and it cannot possibly overrule the federal government.

I am in chronic pain and doubt I would bother using it if it were available. It would have to come in pill form. Not going to carry a one hitter around for pain management.

Plus it is hard enough to get the meds I really need every month. I have to drive all over hell and back to get a script every month. I should be able to get 3 months worth of refills on all my meds and they should accept the scripts electronically.

If you really want to change things for those of us with chronic pain change the law so I can get freaking refills.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #99
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #100
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Just voted for the first time in my life (I'm 30). Feels good man.

Ralph Nader has at least 1 vote from California now!
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote