The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
fwf

Default Why keep the Know, if we NO see?

Was wondering if someone could help me tap into what Elway was thinking? Moreno is counting about 2M towards the cap this season and I understand once a guy makes the week 1 roster his contract is guaranteed.

The question is, why did he make the roster? He's been around long enough for the coaches to get a sense of weather he can play or not! And if you're gonna keep him at least give him a shot. And no, 8 carries does not constitute a shot. Is he hurt? Is that why he's not dressing?

I find it frustrating that the RB depth on this team is so weak at this point. What's the plan, seriously, if Willis goes down or breaks down?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
socalorado
Ring of Famer

1 McGahee
2 Hillman
3 Ball
4 Slowshon

Theres the plan.
DEN is at the midway point.
So far, so good.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwf View Post
Was wondering if someone could help me tap into what Elway was thinking? Moreno is counting about 2M towards the cap this season and I understand once a guy makes the week 1 roster his contract is guaranteed.

The question is, why did he make the roster? He's been around long enough for the coaches to get a sense of weather he can play or not! And if you're gonna keep him at least give him a shot. And no, 8 carries does not constitute a shot. Is he hurt? Is that why he's not dressing?

I find it frustrating that the RB depth on this team is so weak at this point. What's the plan, seriously, if Willis goes down or breaks down?
Ummmm, you answered your own question. Moreno is literally still here just in case Willis goes down.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
fwf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Ummmm, you answered your own question. Moreno is literally still here just in case Willis goes down.

The question was why keep him at 2M, then not play him? They should know by now if he can play. They should have brought in someone else and given him a shot. Then maybe we wouldnt be relying so heavily on a 21 yr old.

Last edited by fwf; 11-06-2012 at 10:13 AM..
Old 11-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Stop starting threads troll.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
The question was why keep him at 2M, then not play him? They should know by now if he can play. They should have brought someone else and given them a shot. Then maybe we wouldnt be relying so heavily on a 21 yr old.
Your question is wrong.

He's only making $855K this year. I have no idea where you're getting this $2 mil figure.

8/7/2009: Signed a five-year, $16.7 million contract. The deal contains $13.125 million guaranteed, including a second-year roster bonus of $3.775 million. Another $6.3 million is available through incentives. The Broncos can exercise an option year in 2014 by paying Moreno $5.08 million. 2012: $855,000, 2013: $1.7 million, 2014: Club Option, 2015: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/...nowshon-moreno
Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
The question was why keep him at 2M, then not play him? They should know by now if he can play. They should have brought in someone else and given him a shot. Then maybe we wouldnt be relying so heavily on a 21 yr old.
You understand the difference between the "team" and the "active roster," yes?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

You could always just ask your source!!
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
fwf

Quote:
Your question is wrong.

He's only making $855K this year. I have no idea where you're getting this $2 mil figure.

8/7/2009: Signed a five-year, $16.7 million contract. The deal contains $13.125 million guaranteed, including a second-year roster bonus of $3.775 million. Another $6.3 million is available through incentives. The Broncos can exercise an option year in 2014 by paying Moreno $5.08 million. 2012: $855,000, 2013: $1.7 million, 2014: Club Option, 2015: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/...nowshon-moreno
His actual cap figure is closer to 2M

Actually 2.6M
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/cap-hit/

Last edited by fwf; 11-06-2012 at 10:16 AM..
Old 11-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Then maybe we wouldnt be relying so heavily on a 21 yr old.
If 5 rushes a game is too much for him, then he's probably in the wrong line of business.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
His actual cap figure is closer to 2M
Which would've been the same or more if we cut him in the preseason. Your entire premise is wrong.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
yerner
Ring of Famer

I wouldn't be surprised if Mcgahee goes down that the job would be split with Moreno and Hillman. I'm not sure they're as negative about Moreno as most people are on here. They just don't need him right now and will continue to let him get his knee healthy.. Obviously, he won't be here long term but I think they see him as a nice insurance policy this year.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
fwf

Quote:
If 5 rushes a game is too much for him, then he's probably in the wrong line of business.
You're right homie. There's no need to worry about our fumbling, 31 yr old back breaking down.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Knowsho doesn't play special teams....they may as well keep him around incase the injury bug hits.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

I'm sure he's running w/the scout team, which could be invaluable to us down the line.

Say, for instance, we would face a team that's primary ball carrier had no vision and was prone to fumble at the slightest touch.

No other back in the league could give us a better look at that.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #16
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Good grief. Dumervil is a bigger cap hit, than Manning...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
You're right homie. There's no need to worry about our fumbling, 31 yr old back breaking down.
I said no such thing.

Nobody here was more on board with going after MJD, then Deangelo Williams, than me......for that very reason.

But we have who we have. And Moreno was dirt cheap. All his bonuses were paid and all we had to do was guaranty his league minimum salary this season. He's a decent enough emergency backup and can come in for 10+ carries if needed. There will be no serious "heavy leaning" on Hillman if there's an injury. He'd split carries like he is now, granted the number would go up. But it's not like they'd be giving him 30 carries a game. It's not necessary with this offense.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

There isn't a lot of depth at the position. Had Fannin not gotten injured, Moreno might have been let go. Plus he looked as if he could be a good 3rd down back. Add in he knew protections in the passing game better than Hillman early in the season. Plus if you have already guaranteed his salary, why dump him since he is adequate insurance should McGahee, Hillman or Ball get injured
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
I'm sure he's running w/the scout team, which could be invaluable to us down the line.

Say, for instance, we would face a team that's primary ball carrier had no vision and was prone to fumble at the slightest touch.

No other back in the league could give us a better look at that.
I know it's fun to pile on the guy, but let's not go crazy here. He fumbles once every 61 touches. That's better than quite a few top backs.

At the slightest touch? I don't think so.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #20
fwf

Quote:
I said no such thing.

Nobody here was more on board with going after MJD, then Deangelo Williams, than me......for that very reason.

But we have who we have. And Moreno was dirt cheap. All his bonuses were paid and all we had to do was guaranty his league minimum salary this season. He's a decent enough emergency backup and can come in for 10+ carries if needed. There will be no serious "heavy leaning" on Hillman if there's an injury. He'd split carries like he is now, granted the number would go up. But it's not like they'd be giving him 30 carries a game. It's not necessary with this offense.
I think something else may have happened behind the scenes this season. Although the ST aspect is probably correct. I just dont understand why you keep the guy? There are so many talented undrafted backs out there who are hungry and have a chip on their shoulder. Give one of those guys a shot. I think it was a bad call by Elway to keep him around.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
I think something else may have happened behind the scenes this season. Although the ST aspect is probably correct. I just dont understand why you keep the guy? There are so many talented undrafted backs out there who are hungry and have a chip on their shoulder. Give one of those guys a shot. I think it was a bad call by Elway to keep him around.
He was running just as good as McGahee last year before he got hurt and was under contract for the league minimum. He was easily our 2nd best back on the roster at cut time. If you cut or trade him, you have to eat about $3 mil on the cap and then have to replace him with an unknown.

I'll hear an argument for cutting Ball in the preseason and doing what you suggest. But Moreno? He still had value to us IMO.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #22
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Does anyone know why we keep backups at any position on the roster, I mean we know they aren't good enough to start, why just keep them hanging around? Time to cut the dead weight and bring in some really quality players that are just hanging out on their couches and don't know our system at all. Get this done, John! Start scouring Subway restaurants everywhere!

Last edited by bowtown; 11-06-2012 at 10:43 AM..
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoflcommish View Post
You could always just ask your source!!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #24
fwf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Does anyone know why we keep backups at any position on the roster, I mean we know they aren't good enough to start, why just keep them hanging around? Time to cut the dead weight and bring in some really quality players that are just hanging out on their couches and don't know our system at all. Get this done, John! Start scouring Subway restaurants everywhere!
Then why dont we bring in Vinny Testaverde to be our backup QB.

The goal should be to bring in guys that can A) step up if the starter goes down and B) someone that has the potential to grow into a legit starter.

Moreno got his shot and blew. Next man up.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #25
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Quote:
I know it's fun to pile on the guy, but let's not go crazy here. He fumbles once every 61 touches. That's better than quite a few top backs.

At the slightest touch? I don't think so.

Ok, I wasn't being literal.

But, just from watching him? If the opposing team rips or punches at the ball, there is a VERY good chance it's coming free.

Once every 61 touches is not a good ratio to begin with, and misleading. If he's not making it out of the backfield, running out of bounds, or simply going down on first contact, he's probably not going to cough it up.

But, as I said, if they want the ball? I'm sure they like they're odds when it's in his hands.

I had high hopes for Moreno when he was drafted. Watched him play a lot of games @Ga and thought he would fit well in the NFL as a primary back.

4 years later, I'm willing to admit I was wrong and that he's probably never going to be anything more than a 3rd down receiving back.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote