The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is Shanahan going to make it through the season?
Yes 61 83.56%
No 8 10.96%
It's Griese's fault 12 16.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #76
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I'd love to compile Shanny's record overall when offense doesn't get a huge lead in first qtr. It is showing more and more Kubes and Elway were the real reason behind his success. The only reason I did not want Kubes after Shanny was I wanted different offense not the same old stale stuff.
had not seen your post before saying much the same thing..

it allowed the D to mostly play pass defense after those big leads..

Unfortunately we never had a killer instinct with mikey in the saddle.. Never wanted to give the other team incentive to go for our throat..

No one liked us because we won a lot of games, but to go into cruise control offensively with a lead never made sense to me..

as Manning said the other day step on their throats when they are down..

maybe mikey has no balls..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #77
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I'll take Peyton
Mannings O any day of the week.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #78
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Don't forget IHOP, the Bench Turd.
Oh that was a bad one too but signing the dirty player Carter was like sending Al Davis a Christmas card.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #79
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Made me laugh out loud. You the best Bean
Old 11-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #80
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
FWIW I have been a faithful Bronco fans since before they were named the Broncos.. Had season tickets from 1960-1979 when I moved out of state for good.. still kick myself in the ass for not renewing those tickets in 1980 but figured I'd never get back to DEN enough to see the games.. and without stub hub I would have been eating the cost and having empty seats..

Ironically 5 years later I had availability for free airline tickets.. Hind sight well Id have one of the highest priority numbers had I kept them.. at the time I gave them up it was under 1200..

so while I respect the Lombardi's I have almost none for that lying SOB.. IMO he destroyed my team after winning them by having failed DAFT after DAFT till Pat fired his sorry ass..

how did he destroy the team, while everyone else was building their franchise with drafting well and getting an occasional UFA to fill a hole here or there . H proceeded to DAFT poorly resigning only 13% of his picks in rounds 1-3 (where other teams were laying their foundations with), that is 6 of the 41, that he took through out his career in DEN Pryce, Wilson, Mobley, Griese, Neil and sadly DJ Williams..
All the while letting some really great talent go.. Heyward, Pryce (later after his second contract expired) , Atwater, Sharpe, Anderson, CArlise, Hixon, Kennedy, Teague , Reagor, Eason and several more that went on to play for other teams some of which are starting still today..

Why were they let go? because he FUBARED up UFA after those first couple of years picking up notorious at best expensive rentals tha in some cases never played for us yet we were saddled with the huge signing bonuses for years as dead cap money.. thus had to allow them to walk to other teams because he had no cap space.. How did he try to fix that by giving even more upfront money to existing stars when they redid their contracts year after year.. Just delaying the inevitable cap hell another year..

Now with proper management of the DRAFT, UFA signings we seem to have a very good well coached team with CAP SPACE to spare for now at least...

SO why you and others show mikey so much respect is beyond me.. His personnel decisions screwed him and us into fielding a mediocre team while others ( NE, BAL,and NE ) in particular got fat off of wise choices..

So other than winning those Lombardi's what has he done for DEN..

...right...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #81
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
do you really think those defenses would have been ranked so high had they not had huge leads in the early part of those games..

IIRC IN a lot of those games we had to kick FG's at the end to save those wins..

mikey was smoke and mirrors, probably still is have not been following him other than an occasional game when nothing better is on to watch..

time to let go of the love ..

For a guy who claims to have been watching football since 1960 you sure have no concept of complimentary football.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #82
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
For a guy who claims to have been watching football since 1960 you sure have no concept of complimentary football.

Thanks Josh.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #83
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Thanks Josh.

You're welcome.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #84
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post

been watching and playing since the early 50's not sure what you mean by complimentary football..

Maybe saying thank you after they score on you.. or please do not score on us any more..

Last edited by lonestar; 11-05-2012 at 12:00 PM..
Old 11-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #85
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Snyder's already in negotiations with Sean Payton. Shanny will last the rest of the year but I think Snyder's one of the high rollers that will push for Payton if they can get him.
Interestingly enough I think there could possibly be 3 NFC East teams involved: Washington, Dallas, and Philadelphia. I'd bet on Dallas getting him.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #86
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
been watching and playing since the early 50's not sure what you mean by complimentary football..

Maybe saying thank you after they score on you.. or please do not score on us any more..
Complementary football; Where all three phases complement one another.

Concept made famous in Denver by Josh Mcdaniels
Old 11-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #87
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Interestingly enough I think there could possibly be 3 NFC East teams involved: Washington, Dallas, and Philadelphia. I'd bet on Dallas getting him.
Yeah, I would go with 95% chance likely that it's Dallas. I don't think Snyder will pull the trigger at this time but if he was attempting to, the only way payton goes to DC is if he feels he can't pass up having RGIII vs. having Romo or an unknown QB.

I still say Dallas though.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #88
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Complementary football; Where all three phases complement one another.

Concept made famous in Denver by Josh Mcdaniels
Hell that is just plain football. Not something we have had around here in a decade. Now that we have a real HC in Fox, a real GM in John, and a former HC in JDR. They know that just trying to have shoot outs each week is a futile way of being a winning team in the playoffs.

At least two phases of those have to be good to great having a good ST is just BACON on a great sandwich.

Hell look at chi their defense and St are scoring as much as the O is. Well almost but more than some other teams offense is.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #89
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
Yeah, I would go with 95% chance likely that it's Dallas. I don't think Snyder will pull the trigger at this time but if he was attempting to, the only way payton goes to DC is if he feels he can't pass up having RGIII vs. having Romo or an unknown QB.

I still say Dallas though.
He wants to live in NOL. As for DAL he is smarter than to work for Jerry. Who wants the spotlight and control of the team. The last two decent HC he had both told him to stick it because he kept meddling in the operations. All the rest have been suck ups. And why they have not win anything since forever.

He said he wants to play there is telling everyone he does and it is just a stupid clause of some sort in the contract that the NFL did not like.

He is not going anywhere.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #90
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
He wants to live in NOL. As for DAL he is smarter than to work for Jerry. Who wants the spotlight and control of the team. The last two decent HC he had both told him to stick it because he kept meddling in the operations. All the rest have been suck ups. And why they have not win anything since forever.

He said he wants to play there is telling everyone he does and it is just a stupid clause of some sort in the contract that the NFL did not like.

He is not going anywhere.
Totally illegible.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #91
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

I think Shanny makes it through the year...

I like Mike, certainly not a "Super Mike Fan", but I think the Shannahan's style offense caters to RG 3's skill set...there still is a lack of talent on that team. I guess you could pin that on Allen or Shanny though..

Who is on that O-Line? I think there was a Tyler Polumbus sighting or something there.., WR's are weak..what a difference 4 weeks makes in the NFL...
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #92
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Shanny catching a lot of grief, but 14-27 and 3-6 this year will get that for an HC/GM. Trading two 2nds, two 1sts, and spending a 1st and a 4th on QB's (also FA QB's Grossman and Beck) and you end up with Grossman, RG3, Kirk Cousins, and you still have a 14-27 record will get you some grief also. RG3 looks like a keeper, but on a weak overall team losing a 2nd and two future 1sts to get him doesn't bode well for the future.

In fairness, he's lost some key players on both O and D this year (Orakpo, Carriker, Garcon, Fred Davis).

He looked worn out in the postgame presser that's getting so much play, but I don't think he was saying he's packing it in for this year, kind of misinterpreted there a little bit I think.

He has a tough row to hoe coming up this season and in the future also. No 1st rounders for the next two years, plus that weird FA penalty they got nailed with.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #93
BroncsCheer

Quote:
I had forgot about that scapegoat clause in his contracts..
and Tanahan....

amirite?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #94
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Shanny catching a lot of grief, but 14-27 and 3-6 this year will get that for an HC/GM. Trading two 2nds, two 1sts, and spending a 1st and a 4th on QB's (also FA QB's Grossman and Beck) and you end up with Grossman, RG3, Kirk Cousins, and you still have a 14-27 record will get you some grief also. RG3 looks like a keeper, but on a weak overall team losing a 2nd and two future 1sts to get him doesn't bode well for the future.

In fairness, he's lost some key players on both O and D this year (Orakpo, Carriker, Garcon, Fred Davis).

He looked worn out in the postgame presser that's getting so much play, but I don't think he was saying he's packing it in for this year, kind of misinterpreted there a little bit I think.

He has a tough row to hoe coming up this season and in the future also. No 1st rounders for the next two years, plus that weird FA penalty they got nailed with.
good post

I'm still baffled by how much the Skins traded to get RG3. I also think Shanny will get this year and next year to turn things around because of RG3. That being said Shanny simply refuses to learn. Maybe it's his super inflated ego (this is my theory) but he just keeps making the same mistakes over and over.

If Shanny fires Jim Haslett due to the poor defense then my respect for him will continue to decline. Fact is, Shanny is reponsible for the defensive woes. Sure, they have some injuries but all teams have injuries. Shanahan needs to do two things to win THIS year and his team is only really capable of doing one of these two things: run the ball effectively and play good defense. Don't put it all on a rookie QB's shoulders to win games. Unfortunately the defense sucks.

Last edited by Tombstone RJ; 11-05-2012 at 09:23 PM..
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #95
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

I totally misread the poll somehow and thought I was voting that he would make it through this year...but not the next. But I picked NO.

At any rate his days in DC are numbered, because of his record.

And yes injuries play a part...but all teams have injuries.

As usual, Shanny has somehow ended up with crap on Defense, and with a rookie QB ( albeit one that looks like he is going to be very good) the O can't carry enough. They will be lucky if they win 8 games...which means they are spinning wheels near the 8-8 mark again. A mark we in Denver are familiar with.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #96
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Totally illegible.
if your unable to read that, it is time to go back to school..

RIF..
Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #97
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
good post

I'm still baffled by how much the Skins traded to get RG3. I also think Shanny will get this year and next year to turn things around because of RG3. That being said Shanny simply refuses to learn. Maybe it's his super inflated ego (this is my theory) but he just keeps making the same mistakes over and over.

If Shanny fires Jim Haslett due to the poor defense then my respect for him will continue to decline. Fact is, Shanny is reponsible for the defensive woes. Sure, they have some injuries but all teams have injuries. Shanahan needs to do two things to win THIS year and his team is only really capable of doing one of these two things: run the ball effectively and play good defense. Don't put it all on a rookie QB's shoulders to win games. Unfortunately the defense sucks.

The trade gives Shanny another year probably but, Snyder is never afraid to make a move we'll see.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #98
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
He had great talent in a bunch of HOF players and near HOF guys. During those first years. Couple that with a running scheme taught by a master of it, in Gibbs made them almost unbeatable.

But once those HF players retired or moved on we were reduced to a great O between the 20's with an occasional TD and loads of FG's.

Our defense was never great merely capitalistic and spent little time playing from behind. Almost always had a 2-4 TD lead to protect. And even then many games were not won with a killer instinct, But merely holding on..

There were a lot of nail biters that should not have been. Few games won going away.

Mikey believed that early success with UF agency would continue but everyone learned from his aquirring a few good men to go with his HOF players that were in place when he got back here.

Yet as great as they were lots of close games. And later on lots of trap game loses.
When Wade Phillips left Denver the talent level OVERALL on the team was not that good from the OL, WR, LB, RB, DL & special teams. I distinctly remember thinking that John Elway would never return to the SB, much less win it before he retired. Compare the quality of the roster/depth between 1994 and 1997. In my opinion, Shanahan performed somewhat of a miracle in a short time shoring up the roster.

I am not a supporter of what Shanahan did past the Superbowl years and he did leave too late. I think ego was his biggest enemy in the GM role, relating to the players and to the fans. I think he no longer motivates players.

I think too many people have a short memory of what the Broncos looked like at the end of 1994 and no longer give Shanahan the credit he REALLY deserved when he first took over. The last 10 years have diminished peoples opinion of Mike.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #99
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
When Wade Phillips left Denver the talent level OVERALL on the team was not that good from the OL, WR, LB, RB, DL & special teams. I distinctly remember thinking that John Elway would never return to the SB, much less win it before he retired. Compare the quality of the roster/depth between 1994 and 1997. In my opinion, Shanahan performed somewhat of a miracle in a short time shoring up the roster.

I am not a supporter of what Shanahan did past the Superbowl years and he did leave too late. I think ego was his biggest enemy in the GM role, relating to the players and to the fans. I think he no longer motivates players.

I think too many people have a short memory of what the Broncos looked like at the end of 1994 and no longer give Shanahan the credit he REALLY deserved when he first took over. The last 10 years have diminished peoples opinion of Mike.
This is the best post on the Shanahan era I have read on the OM. You are 100% correct sir. IMO

It is Mike Shanahan that we need to credit more than anyone else for bringing two Super Bowls to Denver.

After the SB I think Mike slowly started to believe his own press and over the following seasons devolved into the 'little man upstairs'. Sad but true.

Last edited by baja; 11-06-2012 at 06:42 AM..
Old 11-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #100
TonyR
Franchise Poster

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--mi...-05511709.html
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote