The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is Shanahan going to make it through the season?
Yes 61 83.56%
No 8 10.96%
It's Griese's fault 12 16.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #51
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
The better question is will RGIII make it through the season. Really teams have him figured out over the last couple of games. They might want to open things up for him some soon.
RGIII is fine given that Washington's receiving group is pretty weak. The best route runner they got is a very over the hill Santana Moss. And they're the eastcoast Seahawks, coming down with a bad case of dropsies and all. Of course, the Redskins biggest problems are injuries and defense -- and they're definitely not exclusive from one another.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #52
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

blah... RGIII is just a more athletic Jake Plummer.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #53
LongDongJohnson
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I guess ole shanny is nothing without kubiak.
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #54
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDongJohnson View Post
I guess ole shanny is nothing without kubiak.
You may be closer to the truth than some want to think..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #55
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
1. Zimmerman was a first round pick. Nalen was a 7th round pick. Tony Jones was undrafted. Mark Schlereth went in the 10th round, Habib went in the 10th round, Dan Neil went in the third, Swayne went in the 7th. Not sure what point you were trying to make about "smaller" players. Historically the Broncos have had a smaller offensive line.

2. I bet you did.

3. And he would have gotten away with it too, except for those damn superbowl rings. That he won. As a HC.

Mikey never drafted Zim IIRC jones, stink and habib were all brought in as UFAs

But all the guys except neil, that replaced these were all all 4-7th rounders.

As for 2 if you go back to others boards I have been on you will see I pericted the defenses going to crap under mikey.

3 actually he won a couple of rings as position coach and OC Iirc with SFO.

Seems the only time he can win consistently is with HOF QBs. Joe Steve and John.

Time to stop having a woody for him. He really is not that good.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #56
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUB View Post
RGIII is fine given that Washington's receiving group is pretty weak. The best route runner they got is a very over the hill Santana Moss. And they're the eastcoast Seahawks, coming down with a bad case of dropsies and all. Of course, the Redskins biggest problems are injuries and defense -- and they're definitely not exclusive from one another.
So the mediocre talent is the problem? IF THAT IS the case who chose those players for the team?
Who is calling the plays to maximize the talent they do have.?

Sorry but the answer comes back to mikey each time an excuse is made.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #57
CEH
Ring of Famer

Remind me again who the Mia Dolphin WRS are yet their first year coach is completing with a rookie QB

This comes down to coaching and once agin his mind games to motivate his players
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #58
rmsanger
Ring of Famer

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He's a great coach for last century's game.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #59
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

I think part of what makes a coach great is understanding when to walk away. HoF coaches don't usually get fired multiple times.

Love Mike for the championships he brought to Denver, but also very glad he's somebody else's problem now.

Still amazes me how some omaners thought he'd literally be "coach for life" as if there really is such a thing in modern day football. Closest thing to that was Paterno and we all know how that story ended.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #60
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
1. Mikey never drafted Zim IIRC jones, stink and habib were all brought in as UFAs

But all the guys except neil, that replaced these were all all 4-7th rounders.

As for 2 if you go back to others boards I have been on you will see I pericted the defenses going to crap under mikey.

3 actually he won a 2. couple of rings as position coach and OC Iirc with SFO.

Seems the 3. only time he can win consistently is with HOF QBs. Joe Steve and John.

4. Time to stop having a woody for him. He really is not that good.

1. You did not specifiy WHO they were drafted by. The fact remains that the offensive line that won us titles had humble draft beginnings.

2. One as position coach. He won 2 as a HC.

3. Do you think it a coincidence that HOF coaches had HOF QB's playing for them?

4. He won the Broncos, ostensibly your favorite team, 2 titles. For that alone he deserves credit. That is not having a "woody" over him. Its showing respect and appreciation.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #61
TonyR
Franchise Poster

$7 million/year. Now 5-15 at FedEx Field. Ouch.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #62
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
Yep, it's going to get ugly for shanahan this week (considering it is the bye week) and next.

The thing that's going to kill him the most IMO is that defense. The skins have never EVER in their history been this BAD on defense. This is the NFC East, a division with its foundation being tough, physical defense. He can hide behind Haslett for now, but eventually they will come after Shanahan.

If I was to bet, I would say he doesn't get rid of Haslett during the bye week because then the heat comes solely on him. He will ride the injury excuse until the offseason to buy more time and then "fire" haslett.
You are right on how overrated he is and he always has bad defenses. Even our SB team D was pretty bad overall but were good at getting big plays and turnovers. He will fire Haslett and use DC as escape goat like he always does.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #63
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
$7 million/year. Now 5-15 at FedEx Field. Ouch.

OUCH! Not good.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #64
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
You are right on how overrated he is and he always has bad defenses. Even our SB team D was pretty bad overall but were good at getting big plays and turnovers. He will fire Haslett and use DC as escape goat like he always does.

In 1997 our defense was ranked 5th, scoring defense was tied for 6th. In 1998 it was ranked 11th, scoring defense was 8th.

Shanahan was here too long, but early on he had pretty decent defenses to pair up with our offense.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #65
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I'd love to compile Shanny's record overall when offense doesn't get a huge lead in first qtr. It is showing more and more Kubes and Elway were the real reason behind his success. The only reason I did not want Kubes after Shanny was I wanted different offense not the same old stale stuff.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #66
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

That O seems to be doing OK now.

But I get what you are saying.

I'll take Peyton
Mannings O any day of the week.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #67
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
It has been 14 years since our SB and Shanny has been mediocre To down right bad ever since. At what point do you at acknowledge Shanny is no longer the great coach you believe him to be?
He is a great coach still until SoCal says he isn't. Those still backing Shanny are like Raider fans telling us about their Super Bowls back in the 70s.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #68
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Snyder's already in negotiations with Sean Payton. Shanny will last the rest of the year but I think Snyder's one of the high rollers that will push for Payton if they can get him.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #69
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUB View Post
Sorry if I made that sound like him not making it through the year because of play. I'm talking about the beating he is taking.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #70
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
1. You did not specifiy WHO they were drafted by. The fact remains that the offensive line that won us titles had humble draft beginnings.

2. One as position coach. He won 2 as a HC.

3. Do you think it a coincidence that HOF coaches had HOF QB's playing for them?

4. He won the Broncos, ostensibly your favorite team, 2 titles. For that alone he deserves credit. That is not having a "woody" over him. Its showing respect and appreciation.

FWIW I have been a faithful Bronco fans since before they were named the Broncos.. Had season tickets from 1960-1979 when I moved out of state for good.. still kick myself in the ass for not renewing those tickets in 1980 but figured I'd never get back to DEN enough to see the games.. and without stub hub I would have been eating the cost and having empty seats..

Ironically 5 years later I had availability for free airline tickets.. Hind sight well Id have one of the highest priority numbers had I kept them.. at the time I gave them up it was under 1200..

so while I respect the Lombardi's I have almost none for that lying SOB.. IMO he destroyed my team after winning them by having failed DAFT after DAFT till Pat fired his sorry ass..

how did he destroy the team, while everyone else was building their franchise with drafting well and getting an occasional UFA to fill a hole here or there . H proceeded to DAFT poorly resigning only 13% of his picks in rounds 1-3 (where other teams were laying their foundations with), that is 6 of the 41, that he took through out his career in DEN Pryce, Wilson, Mobley, Griese, Neil and sadly DJ Williams..
All the while letting some really great talent go.. Heyward, Pryce (later after his second contract expired) , Atwater, Sharpe, Anderson, CArlise, Hixon, Kennedy, Teague , Reagor, Eason and several more that went on to play for other teams some of which are starting still today..

Why were they let go? because he FUBARED up UFA after those first couple of years picking up notorious at best expensive rentals tha in some cases never played for us yet we were saddled with the huge signing bonuses for years as dead cap money.. thus had to allow them to walk to other teams because he had no cap space.. How did he try to fix that by giving even more upfront money to existing stars when they redid their contracts year after year.. Just delaying the inevitable cap hell another year..

Now with proper management of the DRAFT, UFA signings we seem to have a very good well coached team with CAP SPACE to spare for now at least...

SO why you and others show mikey so much respect is beyond me.. His personnel decisions screwed him and us into fielding a mediocre team while others ( NE, BAL,and NE ) in particular got fat off of wise choices..

So other than winning those Lombardi's what has he done for DEN..
Old 11-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #71
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I had forgot about that scapegoat clause in his contracts..
Old 11-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #72
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
FWIW I have been a faithful Bronco fans since before they were named the Broncos.. Had season tickets from 1960-1979 when I moved out of state for good.. still kick myself in the ass for not renewing those tickets in 1980 but figured I'd never get back to DEN enough to see the games.. and without stub hub I would have been eating the cost and having empty seats..

Ironically 5 years later I had availability for free airline tickets.. Hind sight well Id have one of the highest priority numbers had I kept them.. at the time I gave them up it was under 1200..

so while I respect the Lombardi's I have almost none for that lying SOB.. IMO he destroyed my team after winning them by having failed DAFT after DAFT till Pat fired his sorry ass..

how did he destroy the team, while everyone else was building their franchise with drafting well and getting an occasional UFA to fill a hole here or there . H proceeded to DAFT poorly resigning only 13% of his picks in rounds 1-3 (where other teams were laying their foundations with), that is 6 of the 41, that he took through out his career in DEN Pryce, Wilson, Mobley, Griese, Neil and sadly DJ Williams..
All the while letting some really great talent go.. Heyward, Pryce (later after his second contract expired) , Atwater, Sharpe, Anderson, CArlise, Hixon, Kennedy, Teague , Reagor, Eason and several more that went on to play for other teams some of which are starting still today..

Why were they let go? because he FUBARED up UFA after those first couple of years picking up notorious at best expensive rentals tha in some cases never played for us yet we were saddled with the huge signing bonuses for years as dead cap money.. thus had to allow them to walk to other teams because he had no cap space.. How did he try to fix that by giving even more upfront money to existing stars when they redid their contracts year after year.. Just delaying the inevitable cap hell another year..

Now with proper management of the DRAFT, UFA signings we seem to have a very good well coached team with CAP SPACE to spare for now at least...

SO why you and others show mikey so much respect is beyond me.. His personnel decisions screwed him and us into fielding a mediocre team while others ( NE, BAL,and NE ) in particular got fat off of wise choices..

So other than winning those Lombardi's what has he done for DEN..
Dale Carter is the poster boy for that.

Shanny's shine took a big hit over that one with me.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #73
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
In 1997 our defense was ranked 5th, scoring defense was tied for 6th. In 1998 it was ranked 11th, scoring defense was 8th.

Shanahan was here too long, but early on he had pretty decent defenses to pair up with our offense.

do you really think those defenses would have been ranked so high had they not had huge leads in the early part of those games..

IIRC IN a lot of those games we had to kick FG's at the end to save those wins..

mikey was smoke and mirrors, probably still is have not been following him other than an occasional game when nothing better is on to watch..

time to let go of the love ..
Old 11-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #74
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Dale Carter is the poster boy for that.

Shanny's shine took a big hit over that one with me.
Don't forget IHOP, the Bench Turd.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #75
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

tanahan
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote