The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is Shanahan going to make it through the season?
Yes 61 83.56%
No 8 10.96%
It's Griese's fault 12 16.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #26
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
I'm not sure how shanny is overwlemed. his kid is running the offense, bruce allen is running the front office, and his best friend along with two former head coaches are running the defense.

injuries have ruined this season.
Here in DEN last year it was called next man up.

Guess mikey is special.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #27
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

He is the most overrated coach in the history of the NFL. It's neck and neck between him and Andy Reid.

At least Reid has had more sustained success and with no HOFs either like Montana, Young and Elway.

Mike is a fraud. Still TBD on his son Kyle.
RedskinBronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #28
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
Disclaimer: Please do not click if you are not interested. However, if you are interested in the **** storm brewing with everyone's favorite coach...

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthre...cker-of-the-HC.

Apparently, MS gave up on the season today by saying he is now evaluating guys for next year. Even if you believe the season is over, you don't say it in a postgame presser.

"Shanahan knows the deal. His teams pack it in every single year unless they are a completely dominant team.

Since the 2005 season his teams have all won 1-2 of the final 6 games of the season. Since he's come to DC the team packs it in even earlier. "

jeebus, scary trend.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #29
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
"Shanahan knows the deal. His teams pack it in every single year unless they are a completely dominant team.

Since the 2005 season his teams have all won 1-2 of the final 6 games of the season. Since he's come to DC the team packs it in even earlier. "

jeebus, scary trend.
Yep, it's going to get ugly for shanahan this week (considering it is the bye week) and next.

The thing that's going to kill him the most IMO is that defense. The skins have never EVER in their history been this BAD on defense. This is the NFC East, a division with its foundation being tough, physical defense. He can hide behind Haslett for now, but eventually they will come after Shanahan.

If I was to bet, I would say he doesn't get rid of Haslett during the bye week because then the heat comes solely on him. He will ride the injury excuse until the offseason to buy more time and then "fire" haslett.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #30
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Shanahan is proving what type of coach he is without the HOFers

Is Indy giving up on the season? Seems like they are the #6 seed right now

Shanny is a fraud and will prove to be again next year
Shanahan proved that before he left Denver. If he would just see that he is not a GM......GM's know there is a defense also. It was his downfall in Denver and will be in DC.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #31
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Shanahan proved that before he left Denver. If he would just see that he is not a GM......
IMO, him and holmgren have ruined their legacies due to their stubborness of getting involved in the GM portion of the game.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #32
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I still think only way Mike might see SB again is if he gets a job were the team is SB ready from day 1.

Or sits at home on his sofa, like he's done since SBXXXIII......
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #33
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
IMO, him and holmgren have ruined their legacies due to their stubborness of getting involved in the GM portion of the game.
Good comparison. Holmgren was akin to Millen in Cleveland. I would really like to see someone stand up to Shanahan and take those GM duties from him and see what happens. I think if he stuck to coaching he could possibly have more success. I don't know. He could possibly walk too if that were to happen. Hopefully he doesn't trip over his ego. Ah hell he's already done that.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #34
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Good comparison. Holmgren was akin to Millen in Cleveland. I would really like to see someone stand up to Shanahan and take those GM duties from him and see what happens. I think if he stuck to coaching he could possibly have more success. I don't know. He could possibly walk too if that were to happen. Hopefully he doesn't trip over his ego. Ah hell he's already done that.
He even sulks if he doesn't catch the biggest fish.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #35
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

.....and he'll bench ya if you forget to put mayonnaise on his turkey sandwich
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #36
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

would be incredible if shanahan fired his DC after this year. would have to be a record for firings of your DC over a career.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #37
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Amazing how long Shanahan has skated by on reputation. His Redskins teams have been poorly coached, and no better GM than he was in Denver.
Frank Schwab, former gazette broncos guy (now with yahoo NFL)
Old 11-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #38
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

I can not wait until the shanahandjobs show up and defend the man, the legend, the god.

Shanny was done 3 years before he was fired in Denver, too many posters here are just too blind to see it.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #39
jutang
Perennial Pro-bowler

Rookie QB
Injuries to orakpo and Kerrigan have been devasting for the defense.
Will this be enough to grant Shanahan a pass from Snyder given Snyder's history?
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #40
Agamemnon

Normally I'd say he's safe because of Griffin, but this is Snyder we are talking about. So who knows?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #41
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Normally I'd say he's safe because of Griffin, but this is Snyder we are talking about. So who knows?
Snyder won't have the guts for this one. Firing Shanahan before the end of next year would make it very, very tough for him to ever land coveted coaches given past history with Norv, Schottenheimer, etc.

He will give MS one more year after this season, but one thing snyder won't do is let him have all 5 years at this rate of suck
Old 11-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #42
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Shanny was a great coach for 3 years and mediorce since. The last 4 years his defenses have been atrousious and now he's given up half way through the season

Playing his little mind games I hope the team turns on him
He had great talent in a bunch of HOF players and near HOF guys. During those first years. Couple that with a running scheme taught by a master of it, in Gibbs made them almost unbeatable.

But once those HF players retired or moved on we were reduced to a great O between the 20's with an occasional TD and loads of FG's.

Our defense was never great merely capitalistic and spent little time playing from behind. Almost always had a 2-4 TD lead to protect. And even then many games were not won with a killer instinct, But merely holding on..

There were a lot of nail biters that should not have been. Few games won going away.

Mikey believed that early success with UF agency would continue but everyone learned from his aquirring a few good men to go with his HOF players that were in place when he got back here.

Yet as great as they were lots of close games. And later on lots of trap game loses.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #43
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post

jeebus, scary trend.
I always attributed that to having small fast players in the later years. 4th-7th round OL guys. That would have never been drafted by other teams. None over 285 pounds but because they played ZBS and few teams at the time worried about it because no one else was doing it. They knew when we got inside the red zone our running game would ground to a halt.

Now just maybe it is mikey alone with his training habits that causes it.

I knew that when he took the job the defense would fall apart going from a top 5 D to the dregs. . I thought it would have been more gradual as the good players moved on or retired. Took him one year.

I have always said he would make a great OC, but not much after that. A brilliant tactician. Which surprises the hell out of me because just reverse engineering it would make for a great D.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #44
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
you nailed it
Old 11-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #45
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Exactly
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #46
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
He is the most overrated coach in the history of the NFL.
Its beginning to look that way as more time passes. I thought after getting fired here he'd change a bit. I see the same old thing different team.

I do appreciate the glory days he delivered here.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #47
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

The better question is will RGIII make it through the season. Really teams have him figured out over the last couple of games. They might want to open things up for him some soon.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #48
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I think Griffin needs another year under this staff to develop. That said, as was mentioned, this is exactly the kind of game Shanahan teams fold to. He finds ways to play down to his competition.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #49
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
I always attributed that to having small fast players 1. in the later years. 4th-7th round OL guys. That would have never been drafted by other teams. None over 285 pounds but because they played ZBS and few teams at the time worried about it because no one else was doing it. They knew when we got inside the red zone our running game would ground to a halt.

Now just maybe it is mikey alone with his training habits that causes it.

2. I knew that when he took the job the defense would fall apart going from a top 5 D to the dregs. . I thought it would have been more gradual as the good players moved on or retired. Took him one year.

3. I have always said he would make a great OC, but not much after that. A brilliant tactician. Which surprises the hell out of me because just reverse engineering it would make for a great D.

1. Zimmerman was a first round pick. Nalen was a 7th round pick. Tony Jones was undrafted. Mark Schlereth went in the 10th round, Habib went in the 10th round, Dan Neil went in the third, Swayne went in the 7th. Not sure what point you were trying to make about "smaller" players. Historically the Broncos have had a smaller offensive line.

2. I bet you did.

3. And he would have gotten away with it too, except for those damn superbowl rings. That he won. As a HC.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #50
Agamemnon

All I know is man I'm glad he isn't our coach anymore. I'll always appreciate those Super Bowls he helped us win, but the guy just doesn't seem to get that being a great offensive coach doesn't mean you should be a GM.