The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Default Still not a big fan of Michael Irvin the Analyst

But it seems that he is the first and thus far only talking head to acknowledge and discuss that this is the first time Peyton has played with two big receivers who can just go up and get the ball. I know its a couple of months behind everyone here at the mane, but at least someone in the mainstream media is finally giving the Denver receiving corps some credit for Manning's success.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

He's actually been on that one for awhile. I remember a discussion on NFLN where Irvin got excited (and thus impossible to understand) but the gist was that Manning with a 6'3 Decker and a 6'3 Thomas outside? It would be new for Manning to have that type of size outside, and when the offense gelled would be awesome to watch.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
But it seems that he is the first and thus far only talking head to acknowledge and discuss that this is the first time Peyton has played with two big receivers who can just go up and get the ball. I know its a couple of months behind everyone here at the mane, but at least someone in the mainstream media is finally giving the Denver receiving corps some credit for Manning's success.
We're not talking about Decker as one of the two are we?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
We are. Decker's limitations appear to be related to youth and focus at this time. Don't let those short-coming cause you to discount his very real physical abilities. I remember after the Pittsburg game, I heard some Steelers fans complaining that the Steelers D wasn't trying to jam the Broncos receivers off the line to disrupt Peyton's timing routes. The fact is, it is hard for most DBs to jam 6'3" 220+ lbs receivers. Both of these guys have a long way to go. But both will be hard to jam off the line, and both can use their bodies to box out or go over a defender for a pass.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
edog24
Perennial Pro-bowler

Decker plays more like he's 5'10"
edog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Decker doesn't play to his size, but Thomas does. Also, there's something to be said about route running -- that I think they're still both weak at. Marvin Harrison was one of the best route runners of all time, and Reggie Wayne is up there too. It's a little early to compare Thomas/Decker to that sort of talent at this point in their careers.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUB View Post
Decker doesn't play to his size, but Thomas does. Also, there's something to be said about route running -- that I think they're still both weak at. Marvin Harrison was one of the best route runners of all time, and Reggie Wayne is up there too. It's a little early to compare Thomas/Decker to that sort of talent at this point in their careers.
I'm not comparing them. I'm contrasting them. They are different players with different skill-sets. As I said, I'm excited to see Manning playing with our corps as he has not really worked with this type of receiver before in his career.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
BroncoBeavis

Decker has his strengths. But his instincts when he leaves his feet aren't one of them. He whiffed on another one Sunday that I'm pretty sure DT (or any top-notch jump ball WR) would've made at least a decent play on.

I think Decker's made some decent grabs, but I can't recall a single one where he really went up and used his size to any effect.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Decker has his strengths. But his instincts when he leaves his feet aren't one of them. He whiffed on another one Sunday that I'm pretty sure DT (or any top-notch jump ball WR) would've made at least a decent play on.

I think Decker's made some decent grabs, but I can't recall a single one where he really went up and used his size to any effect.
I think he made a decent adjustment to go up and grab 23 yard pass on the final drive of the first half. I think it was supposed to be a back-shoulder fade to the soft zone between the CB and safety. But, Manning gets clocked on the play and probably doesn't get everything into the throw (my opinion based on my observations of the pass) I think Decker does an nice job adjusting then using his size to go up and get the ball.

I'll acknowledge that Decker's vertical game is not as advanced as DT's. I still maintain that is largely a product of youth and inexperience. Manning and his receivers are still developing a rapport. Eventually, they are going to start hitting jump ball drills hard. When that happens (possibly sometime next year) the Broncos are going to own NFL highlights.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
swaiy

Decker made someone look pretty foolish in the Saints game when he got wide open. I hope he does more of that.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
pricejj
jungle

Both Decker and Thomas are on pace for about 90 catches this year...which is pretty damn good.

I am pretty sure Decker still leads the league in drops, but Manning's completion percentage is near his all-time high...so that is becoming less of a concern.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Looks like Green is gonna make an impact too. I hope Manning keeps throwing the ball to this young TE.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Both Decker and Thomas are on pace for about 90 catches this year...which is pretty damn good.

I am pretty sure Decker still leads the league in drops, but Manning's completion percentage is near his all-time high...so that is becoming less of a concern.
Actually, Doug Martin, Jimmy Graham, Dez Bryant, Victor Cruz, and Jason Witten all have more drops then him right now. And he is tied with 6 other players. So yeah, not ideal. But not a deal breaker either.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #14
Drunken.Broncoholic

Decker is just a tad bit raw. He's got the talent and makes great plays for us, but it seems every game there's a big downfield pass that goes right through Deckers wheelhouse. In slow motion it always shows him trying to catch the ball after it goes through his gaping arms.

On Irvin, Tom Jackson called him retarded on live TV. And I share that sentiment
Old 11-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Just pointing out that Decker climbed the ladder to grad that final touchdown that helped seal the game for us. Like I said, maturity and inexperience. At this stage, both are easy to correct.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #16
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Just pointing out that Decker climbed the ladder to grad that final touchdown that helped seal the game for us. Like I said, maturity and inexperience. At this stage, both are easy to correct.
I was stuck listening to this one on the radio so I didn't get to see. Decker came up huge this game no doubt though.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
swaiy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Decker is just a tad bit raw. He's got the talent and makes great plays for us, but it seems every game there's a big downfield pass that goes right through Deckers wheelhouse. In slow motion it always shows him trying to catch the ball after it goes through his gaping arms.

On Irvin, Tom Jackson called him retarded on live TV. And I share that sentiment
Maybe he is used to having a bigger surface area to work with (ie: sideways ball flying through the air)?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #18
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Both of them have grown leaps and bounds since the start of the season. Very impressed with them, and I was uber critical in the beginning.

Demaryius Thomas ran two beautiful routes today that while they weren't sexy and only amounted for 5 or 6 yards were huge. They were both on third down and he ran his route exactly to the yardage needed and got himself open for a split second and gave Manning just enough time to get the ball in.

Those were impressive.

Decker was also impressive on the TD and in a couple of plays where he gained some good yards after the catch.

They have come a long way!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #19
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Decker has four tds in the last two games.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
46 receptions, 583 yards, 7 TD

I say only an idiot wouldn't count Decker. And he is getting better every week. He doesn't have the athleticism of DT, but realistically there are maybe 10 guys in the league that have that size,speed/ability combination that DT has.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #21
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Decker has four tds in the last two games.
And at least 1 in each of the last 5
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:21 AM   #22
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
46 receptions, 583 yards, 7 TD

I say only an idiot wouldn't count Decker. And he is getting better every week. He doesn't have the athleticism of DT, but realistically there are maybe 10 guys in the league that have that size,speed/ability combination that DT has.
Everyone has their weaknesses. Yours just happens to be reading comprehension.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #23
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I don't know how anyone could say Decker doesn't play "up to his size." He powered a run into the end zone yesterday, and don't forget the San Diego game where he shoved through three defenders the last few yards to paydirt.

These guys have kind of been stunted so far in Denver, and they are both growing into their roles. It's also so nice to have Stokley to help take the pressure off them and teach them how to be professionals.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #24
fwf

We had a few drops yesterday and I'm not sure who gets the blame for the endzone pick, but as far as ability and toughness, I think our young WR's have proven themselves the last 2 months. There were question marks, but no more.

It was clearly a smart move by Elway to bring in the veterans Stokley and Tamme to help with Deck and Dt's maturation too. Guys who understand how to play with Manning and the work that needs to be put in. Stok is a great compliment.

It's just too bad we cant really make our offense more potent, by incorporating screen passes considering Mcgahee is slowing down.

If I were Fox, at this point, I would be holding McGahee out of practice to try and do anything to save his legs for the stretch run.

Last edited by fwf; 11-05-2012 at 06:56 AM..
Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #25
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwf View Post
We had a few drops yesterday and I'm not sure who gets the blame for the endzone pick,

You know, I'm not sure if you can really blame anyone one Bronco on that interception. Sometimes, you just have to tip your cap to the defender for making a play. Newman quickly recognized the route and just beats Decker to the spot. Its not like Decker doesn't fight him for the position, he does. But Newman just had better leverage on this one. About all he really could have done was try to get his hands up and bat the ball away. Unfortunately, Peyton was leading him inside on that pass.