The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default Hypocrisy in playing the Giants game in NJ?

When Katrina happened, the Saints were forced to lose a home game by playing at the Giants. This gave the Giants an extra home game that season.

Now here we are several years later and the shoe is on the other foot, Except, the Giants are not going to lose their home game, forcing the Pittsburgh Steelers to fly to NY the day of the game.

Also, Mayor Bloomberg had been taking a beating for going forward with the marathon. Meanwhile, New Jersey had it much worse where the storm is concerned, and the reaction to having a football game in NJ, isn't nearly as volatile as it was for having a marathon in NYC. And many of the people involved with running marathons are volunteers.

Anyone else see the hypocricy here?
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Ironlung
Terminator
 
Ironlung's Avatar
 
Snake Bitten

Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,014
Default

The Giants are the nfl, and media darlings. They wouldn't dream of taking a home game away from them.
Ironlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
When Katrina happened, the Saints were forced to lose a home game by playing at the Giants. This gave the Giants an extra home game that season.

Now here we are several years later and the shoe is on the other foot, Except, the Giants are not going to lose their home game, forcing the Pittsburgh Steelers to fly to NY the day of the game.

Also, Mayor Bloomberg had been taking a beating for going forward with the marathon. Meanwhile, New Jersey had it much worse where the storm is concerned, and the reaction to having a football game in NJ, isn't nearly as volatile as it was for having a marathon in NYC. And many of the people involved with running marathons are volunteers.

Anyone else see the hypocricy here?
Really? Idiot much??


You realize there were homeless people living in the Superdome at the time of the game. Plus the Superdome's dome wasn't so super at that time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Really? Idiot much??


You realize there were homeless people living in the Superdome at the time of the game. Plus the Superdome's dome wasn't so super at that time.
You shouldnt repeat every word you hear in the sandbox.

That accounts for why the game wasnt played at a neutral venue, how?

Oy vay. I had a feeling someone would see the first paragraph and make a stupid response. The only question was how long it would take. Well done, bacchus.

Last edited by OrangeSe7en; 11-04-2012 at 09:54 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
canadianbroncosfan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
When Katrina happened, the Saints were forced to lose a home game by playing at the Giants. This gave the Giants an extra home game that season.

Now here we are several years later and the shoe is on the other foot, Except, the Giants are not going to lose their home game, forcing the Pittsburgh Steelers to fly to NY the day of the game.

Also, Mayor Bloomberg had been taking a beating for going forward with the marathon. Meanwhile, New Jersey had it much worse where the storm is concerned, and the reaction to having a football game in NJ, isn't nearly as volatile as it was for having a marathon in NYC. And many of the people involved with running marathons are volunteers.

Anyone else see the hypocricy here?
The Superdome was housing evacuees and was leaking. It's not quite the same circumstances
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,979
Default

Mara is BFF with Goodell. Giants get whatever they want, including bull **** salary cap penalties on the cowboys/skins.

**** Mara, Goodell and their hypocrisy.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,992

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

I agree with you guys, unicorns DO exist.







Oh, I thought we were just making random things up.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
beardedwonder
Rookie
 
go america. go broncos.

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 92

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Giant stadium is completely fine...
The coast is what got messed up. Giant stadium is pretty far inland even though its in a swamp

Plus what's been said about the absence of homeless people.

Plus its like. 3-4 hr drive from pitt to nj..


But yea the media loveees the giants because they deserve it.. (Like all superbowl winners do. Look at the packers and pitt)

Last edited by beardedwonder; 11-04-2012 at 11:41 AM..
beardedwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedwonder View Post
Giant stadium is completely fine...
The coast is what got messed up. Giant stadium is pretty far inland even though its in a swamp

Plus what's been said about the absence of homeless people.
It's not diverting resources that could be used other places? That was one of the main arguments against the marathon even though a marathon uses a greater number of volunteers. And NYC wasn't even as bad as NJ.

And once again, saying the SuperDome was housing homeless people (although that should really be verified first), doesn't account for why the Giants got an extra home game as opposed to having the game at a neutral site.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
beardedwonder
Rookie
 
go america. go broncos.

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 92

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
It's not diverting resources that could be used other places? That was one of the main arguments against the marathon even though a marathon uses a greater number of volunteers. And NYC wasn't even as bad as NJ.

And once again, saying the SuperDome was housing homeless people (although that should really be verified first), doesn't account for why the Giants got an extra home game as opposed to having the game at a neutral site.
Wow... yes there were people living in the superdome when they lost their home a few weeks after katrina. The fact ur disputing this really makes me feel like you just wanted to whine.

The non coastal area didnt have that much damage besides trees and powerlines down.
The coast has a 10' storm surge which affected part of thr Marathon route.
beardedwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Meck77
.
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,723
Default

You can never please all the people all the time....
Meck77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedwonder View Post
Wow... yes there were people living in the superdome when they lost their home a few weeks after katrina. The fact ur disputing this really makes me feel like you just wanted to whine.
Im not really disputing it but Im not really sure it's accurate. The Saints did play some home games that year.

Also, Im still waiting on how why the Giants got an extra home game as opposed to playing that game on a neutral field. Feel free to answer that any time. Even if your premise that people were living in the SuperDome is correct, you still haven't addressed this.

Quote:
The non coastal area didnt have that much damage besides trees and powerlines down.
The coast has a 10' storm surge which affected part of thr Marathon route.
Bloomberg thought it could be done without diverting resources. Obviously, what you mentioned was not the issue. Bloomberg caved to all the complaining--complaining that didn't exist for the NFL game.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #13
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer
 
rbackfactory80's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 4,545
Default

Yes but only because they claim they are the NY Giants.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston
 
chickennob2's Avatar
 
Glad to be back

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,078

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
It's not diverting resources that could be used other places? That was one of the main arguments against the marathon even though a marathon uses a greater number of volunteers. And NYC wasn't even as bad as NJ.

And once again, saying the SuperDome was housing homeless people (although that should really be verified first), doesn't account for why the Giants got an extra home game as opposed to having the game at a neutral site.
Here's the NFL's thought process:

1. Can we hold the game at the original stadium?
2. We can't? Where can we logistically hold and sell tickets to a game with such short notice?

With Katrina, the answer to 1. was no, and the only realistic answer to 2. was Giants Stadium. With Sandy, the answer to 1. was yes, so they stopped there.

It's not about competitive advantage, it's about logistics.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,992

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennob2 View Post
Here's the NFL's thought process:

1. Can we hold the game at the original stadium?
2. We can't? Where can we logistically hold and sell tickets to a game with such short notice?

With Katrina, the answer to 1. was no, and the only realistic answer to 2. was Giants Stadium. With Sandy, the answer to 1. was yes, so they stopped there.

It's not about competitive advantage, it's about logistics.
Nah bro, it's just an East-coast bias.

/rolleyes
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #16
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,233

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

orangese7ven

do yourself a favor and delete this thread
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #17
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
orangese7ven

do yourself a favor and delete this thread
I will if you go find some cyanide. Ill just point out that you're the guy who like Moreno.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,874

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Is this a serious thread?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #19
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,874

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
I will if you go find some cyanide. Ill just point out that you're the guy who like Moreno.
BURN
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #20
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennob2 View Post
Here's the NFL's thought process:

1. Can we hold the game at the original stadium?
2. We can't? Where can we logistically hold and sell tickets to a game with such short notice?

With Katrina, the answer to 1. was no, and the only realistic answer to 2. was Giants Stadium. With Sandy, the answer to 1. was yes, so they stopped there.

It's not about competitive advantage, it's about logistics.
Of course, they'd sell more tickets if they have the game in NY than at a neutral venue. But, especially given that the vast majority of the leagues revenue comes from TV contracts, he's also obligated to ensure fair play. Giving a team a home game instead of a road game is hardly doing that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #21
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Is this a serious thread?
Do you seriously like Bill Simmons?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #22
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,992

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

The OrangeMane: where we debate topics from events that happened 7 years ago!
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #23
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,874

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
Do you seriously like Bill Simmons?
BURN AGAIN!

By the way, why is it poison to like Bill Simmons? He's an entertaining guy. I don't think he's some sort of expert, but I like his articles.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #24
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,992

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
BURN AGAIN!

By the way, why is it poison to like Bill Simmons? He's an entertaining guy. I don't think he's some sort of expert, but I like his articles.
Because haven't you heard? Joe OrangeMane knows everything about football, and sports writers know nothing about football. The proof is right here in this very thread!
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

DOOOOOOOOOOOOONT CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE















@ Stupid thread
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:54 PM.


Denver Broncos