The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #76
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
The first two are the real issues IMO.

1. Teams have figured out Norv's offense here, especially in the red zone.

2. The o-line is arguably the worst in the league, especially when Gaither is out, which seems like every other week now.

3. Meachem is just not working out here. I thought he'd be a poor man's Vincent Jackson but it's just not the case. Rivers and Meachum are not even close to being on the same page.

4. Gates looked like the Gates of old in pre-season but not sure what's happened to him since. He's supposedly healthy and lighter than he's been for a long time now.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go take my 'chill pill' and not voice my opinion anymore. The Chargers will appreciate that.
I think there are several elements to it, Rivers was best when he had a strong offensive line a good run game which would give him time in the pocket and force the defense to move up a safety. Rivers is not good with pressure in his face, and I think people have worked that out and have been consistently attacking the weak interior offensive line to make Rivers uncomfortable.

Lacking Sproles/Tomlinson to keep the linebackers honest and Gates having regressed significantly, he is just getting open the way he used to, the Chargers offense really doesn't have any way of punishing linebackers who drop into zone coverage.

Jackson brought an element to the Chargers offense that they just don't have anymore the deep ball, he was a big target with speed who could win a lot of 1 v 1 situations down the field either by pure speed or by outjumping a defender. Rivers throws a good deep ball but he needs a target and Meachem just isn't that guy.

The regression of Rivers can be traced back to the playcalling of Norv Turner and the overall loss of talent on the offense caused by poor front office decisions.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #77
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
I don't see it personally.

They have a very good young 3-4 defense, with Weddle playing at a very high level.

Their problems are based around the offense not being able to adjust to losing Jackson and Sproles and Rivers still playing loose.
You gotta believe they hire an offensive type of HC considering what a poor record JDR has with his offenses outside of mark brunell.
I dont see many talking about this but I think these two are a big reason for Rivers struggles

Rivers cant just chuck down the field to giant receives or dump if off to Sproles anymore

So glad that guy is out of the division
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #78
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver

6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
I dont see many talking about this but I think these two are a big reason for Rivers struggles

Rivers cant just chuck down the field to giant receives or dump if off to Sproles anymore

So glad that guy is out of the division
Totally agree. I was thrilled he left the division, let alone the Conference.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #79
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Totally agree. I was thrilled he left the division, let alone the Conference.
Bowe is next.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #80
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

If the Chargers can't beat the NFL's most pathetic team ... at home no less ... tomorrow night, then I would expect some heads to roll.

But nobody's that bad.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #81
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
If the Chargers can't beat the NFL's most pathetic team ... at home no less ... tomorrow night, then I would expect some heads to roll.

But nobody's that bad.
they might be..

KC only has pride to play for now..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #82
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

How could an owner fire Marty ball after a 14-2 season, then let Turner and Smith go 3 season with no playoffs? No way unless he truly just doesn't give a crap anymore. Chargers will get a brand new front office and coach. Big shake up coming.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 PM   #83
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Chargers will win tomorrow just because it would be too good to get rid of Norv right now.

Back to my chill pill.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #84
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Norval is gone if the Chargers lose tomorrow night. Gone. Fineto. Done. Pink slip Friday morning. Spanos will have to make the move just to keep selling tickets. And honestly I hope we lose. I've been a fan through a lot of bad times, but this year has finally done it for me. Screw Spanos, screw AJ, screw Rivers, and **** Norv. I can't take it anymore.

I KNOW the Chargers are going to win tomorrow. KC hasn't led a game during regulation all year. They are one of the worst teams of all time. It just figures that Norv would get to face the worst team ever when he's finally inches from the cliff. Classic Norv. The Chargers will win and we'll be subject to three or four more weeks of ****ing Norv and I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #85
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
The first two are the real issues IMO.

1. Teams have figured out Norv's offense here, especially in the red zone.

2. The o-line is arguably the worst in the league, especially when Gaither is out, which seems like every other week now.

3. Meachem is just not working out here. I thought he'd be a poor man's Vincent Jackson but it's just not the case. Rivers and Meachum are not even close to being on the same page.

4. Gates looked like the Gates of old in pre-season but not sure what's happened to him since. He's supposedly healthy and lighter than he's been for a long time now.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go take my 'chill pill' and not voice my opinion anymore. The Chargers will appreciate that.
Gaither has always been hurt. Meachem like I said when you signed him. He didn't produce with Brees getting one on one coverage by #3 and #4 CB, so why would he produce getting #1 and #2 CB's with Rivers? Gates just is getting old quick. There are my 2 cents.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #86
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
How could an owner fire Marty ball after a 14-2 season, then let Turner and Smith go 3 season with no playoffs? No way unless he truly just doesn't give a crap anymore. Chargers will get a brand new front office and coach. Big shake up coming.
I know they were really good that year. I honestly think they would of won a SB with Marty. I think a big reason for the decline is the firing of Marty and his ability to draft great. It's about the Jimmy and the Joes not the X's and O's.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:44 PM   #87
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The real loss was Wade Phillips as DC. That dude is a 3-4 genius back to his days as the Broncos DC.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #88
Action

hmmm..

Chargers win tomorrow
avantage: Norv's chances of staying increases.
disadvantage: Chiefs draft position goes up

Chiefs win tomorrow
advantage: Chiefs draft position goes down
disadvantage: Norv's chances of staying decreases
Old 11-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #89
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

man we need atleast three more years of norv
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #90
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I know they were really good that year. I honestly think they would of won a SB with Marty. I think a big reason for the decline is the firing of Marty and his ability to draft great. It's about the Jimmy and the Joes not the X's and O's.
That would have been contrary to all past performances. Marty was a great regular Eason coach. But folded like a cheap tent in gale force winds in the playoffs. Just ask John. He got him at least 3 times. Twice in Cle and iirc another time in KC or San.
The drive the fumble were both Cle fubars.

Iirc NE got him also.

Not so good when the chips are all on the table. Thus why he was fired after a 14-2 season.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:41 AM   #91
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Also they got to the point where it seemed to me, they let players go that were just too good. Really going all the way back to Brees, Micheal Turner, then obviously recently Sproles and Jackson.

When rival teams fans, us, are happy about your FA losses every yr something is wrong.

SD going to see some big big changes but I think the new coach keeps Rivers for sure. The run defense not that bad but they need some corners, a better oline, and help at WR. And a new coach.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #92
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
The real loss was Wade Phillips as DC. That dude is a 3-4 genius back to his days as the Broncos DC.
No question about it. His defenses are always good.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #93
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
man we need atleast three more years of norv
I'm with you... Lovin Norv in SD...
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #94
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Like Jim Trotter said in SI, Spanos plays afraid. He'll make his move a year late, like he always does, and get rid of Norv at the end of the season. He'll probably keep Smith. He's gutless and cheap.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #95
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post
Norval is gone if the Chargers lose tomorrow night. Gone. Fineto. Done. Pink slip Friday morning. Spanos will have to make the move just to keep selling tickets. And honestly I hope we lose. I've been a fan through a lot of bad times, but this year has finally done it for me. Screw Spanos, screw AJ, screw Rivers, and **** Norv. I can't take it anymore.

I KNOW the Chargers are going to win tomorrow. KC hasn't led a game during regulation all year. They are one of the worst teams of all time. It just figures that Norv would get to face the worst team ever when he's finally inches from the cliff. Classic Norv. The Chargers will win and we'll be subject to three or four more weeks of ****ing Norv and I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!
Best case scenario would be a ugly 3-0 Charger victory and Norv gets fired anyway.

But they'll probably wind up destroying the Chiefs and this is going to be another November-December run where the front office gets confidence again in Norv and we'll have to endure him for the full season. Get ready for it.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #96
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!

BA-ZING!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...line-for-norv/

The Chargers have lost three straight games. The Chargers face on Thursday night the one-win Chiefs.

If the Chargers lose, coach Norv Turner could be done.

Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego believes that owner Dean Spanos will indeed pull the plug on the Norv Turner experiment, if the Chargers fall to 3-5 by losing to the 1-6 Chiefs. Acee also believes that the job would then go to special-teams coordinator Rich Bissacia for the balance of the season.

And if Bissacia turns the team around, who knows? He could secure the job beyond 2012 — and in turn save G.M. A.J. Smith’s.

If nothing else, it gives us a reason to watch tonight’s game. Surely, it may be the only reason. But it’s still a reason.
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #97
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobzilla View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...line-for-norv/

The Chargers have lost three straight games. The Chargers face on Thursday night the one-win Chiefs.

If the Chargers lose, coach Norv Turner could be done.

Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego believes that owner Dean Spanos will indeed pull the plug on the Norv Turner experiment, if the Chargers fall to 3-5 by losing to the 1-6 Chiefs. Acee also believes that the job would then go to special-teams coordinator Rich Bissacia for the balance of the season.

And if Bissacia turns the team around, who knows? He could secure the job beyond 2012 — and in turn save G.M. A.J. Smith’s.

If nothing else, it gives us a reason to watch tonight’s game. Surely, it may be the only reason. But it’s still a reason.
Han't he been coaching at SD for six seasons already? Not sure how the author sees that as an experiment....
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #98
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Like Jim Trotter said in SI, Spanos plays afraid. He'll make his move a year late, like he always does, and get rid of Norv at the end of the season. He'll probably keep Smith. He's gutless and cheap.
A couple of the guys on NFL network also opined that Turner was unlikely to be fired mid-seaon no matter what happens, since the Chargers don't have anyone in the organization capable of acting as a "legit" interim coach - whatever that means.

I think it's all probably moot this week in any event because I can't see the hapless Chiefs beating anyone under any circumstances right now. The Chargers may be a mediocre team right now, but there's a long way between mediocre and paper sack masks.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #99
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Best case scenario would be a ugly 3-0 Charger victory and Norv gets fired anyway.

But they'll probably wind up destroying the Chiefs and this is going to be another November-December run where the front office gets confidence again in Norv and we'll have to endure him for the full season. Get ready for it.
You feeling it too? It is inevitable. ****.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #100
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I think there are several elements to it, Rivers was best when he had a strong offensive line a good run game which would give him time in the pocket and force the defense to move up a safety. Rivers is not good with pressure in his face, and I think people have worked that out and have been consistently attacking the weak interior offensive line to make Rivers uncomfortable.

Lacking Sproles/Tomlinson to keep the linebackers honest and Gates having regressed significantly, he is just getting open the way he used to, the Chargers offense really doesn't have any way of punishing linebackers who drop into zone coverage.

Jackson brought an element to the Chargers offense that they just don't have anymore the deep ball, he was a big target with speed who could win a lot of 1 v 1 situations down the field either by pure speed or by outjumping a defender. Rivers throws a good deep ball but he needs a target and Meachem just isn't that guy.

The regression of Rivers can be traced back to the playcalling of Norv Turner and the overall loss of talent on the offense caused by poor front office decisions.
The loss of playmakers on the offense hurts but Rivers has put up crazy numbers to bums out there in the past. This is not the main reason.

The playcalling, yes sometimes Norv dials up all the right plays but that's very rare. Most of the time, it's terrible. The o-line, is downright putrid. Put those together and it's a recipe for disaster. That's why Rivers mechanics are going downhill.