The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #26
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
"Both Denver and San Francisco now rank in the top five for both offense and defense, with roughly average special teams."

"Average" special teams?

Prater is the best kickoff guy in the league and is one of only four kickers who are perfect on field goals and extra points this season.

Colquitt is the #5 ranked punter in the league in net distance.
We may see some interesting returns as well with Holliday back there.
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #27
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
The Kansas City Clowns!

I actually believe winning games and going on a big run is a good thing. The parity between teams in the NFL is very close. This isn't like beating up on a big sky opponent at home and then going to Mobile to play the Crimson Tide. Historically teams that win a bunch of games against bad teams tend to win many games against good teams too, though the margin of victory isn't as big. This is because the things that win football games are universal and teams can get good at it. We just have to make sure we don't play down to an opponent, which we haven't done all year, to be honest.
I still say we split with KC.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #28
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I still say we split with KC.
Would not shock me even a little bit for a few reasons.

1. Trap game. They can run the ball and if their defense shows up and their QB doens't turn the ball over they can be more difficult.

2. They are the last game one the schedule. If the playoff picture is decided by then, there may be no advantage risking injuries to our starters and we may mail it in the last game.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #29
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I remember back in summertime there were a lot of us worried about this seasons schedule. Some of these games got a bit easier with how bad a lot of teams have become.
I don't know how many times I have to tell people on this site that "strength of schedule" is nothing to worry about before the season starts simply because there is so much parity. That is, we get midway through the season and some of the teams who were supposed to be good suck and some of the sucky teams turn out to be good.

Examples of this: Vikings (supposed to suck but are pretty good) and Sandy Eggo (supposed to be the best in the AFCW and suck). HAPPENS-EVERY-YEAR!

just saying...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #30
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
"Both Denver and San Francisco now rank in the top five for both offense and defense, with roughly average special teams."

"Average" special teams?

Prater is the best kickoff guy in the league and is one of only four kickers who are perfect on field goals and extra points this season.

their rankings, as far as I know, are purely based on stats - what has actually happened, adjusted for quality of opponent.

When you factor in that we have had a few ST fumbles, hardly any KO returns (and a few KO returns for < 10 yards), and almost nil as far as punt returns, the fact that we show up as mediocre is pretty great.

Outside of Holiday, the only punt returner we have showing up in the stats is Leonhard, averaging 28th best 6.8 yards/return. Omar Bolden is our best KO return man, ranked 34th in the league (19.3).
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #31
ClamChowdah

Try telling the Patriots and Texans that the Broncos defense is top 5, they went up and down the field.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:13 AM   #32
BroncoBeavis

Quote:

1. Trap game. They can run the ball and if their defense shows up and their QB doens't turn the ball over they can be more difficult.

2. They are the last game one the schedule. If the playoff picture is decided by then, there may be no advantage risking injuries to our starters and we may mail it in the last game.
I keep thinking about going to that game, but I'm pretty worried about them having too much sewn up by then. There's going to have to be a #2 seed in play or something before they'll let Peyton take the field in that game.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #33
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I keep thinking about going to that game, but I'm pretty worried about them having too much sewn up by then. There's going to have to be a #2 seed in play or something before they'll let Peyton take the field in that game.
I've been told that Alabama would mop the floor with KC. If we can't beat them with Twilight at QB instead of Manning, we don't deserve the #2 seed anyway.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #34
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Sunday night's game was the first time this team played a complete football game. Manning is incredible and his ability to throw intermediate passes into tight windows with a high amount of velocity has drastically improved. Honestly, I didn't think he would regain as much arm strength as he has this season (if ever). Something I'm extremely happy to eat crow about.

As far as the Broncos being in the Superbowl, I think they can make some noise in the playoffs, but I still think they need some player upgrades in the front seven, RB and WR depth to really have SB caliber team.

I still think this is probably a 10-6 ish team right now.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #35
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
I've been told that Alabama would mop the floor with KC. If we can't beat them with Twilight at QB instead of Manning, we don't deserve the #2 seed anyway.
Well to be fair, Shotgun Edward would've literally been snapped in half playing in the SEC.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #36
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

I'm a little worried as well, all of sudden everybody's saying we're poised for a big run with an easier schedule ahead, sometimes it's not that easy. We'll be playing teams out of the playoffs with nothing to lose, the pressure will be on us. I just hope with Mannings experience we'll be able to overcome that.
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #37
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

We need another work horse running back to spell Willis

Maybe ball or even KM will find another level of play.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #38
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

In light of your second point... any chance we get to see a vision of the future with Brock Osweiler tearing up KC?
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #39
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennob2 View Post
In light of your second point... any chance we get to see a vision of the future with Brock Osweiler tearing up KC?
That would be good. For Brock and the Broncos.

For those hand-wringing because we are becoming favorites, this is one thing a good team has to overcome. You get a target on your back and everyone is extra prepared to come at you. This comes with success and it will be something this team has to overcome.

Would you rather we sucked?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #40
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:

For those hand-wringing because we are becoming favorites, this is one thing a good team has to overcome. You get a target on your back and everyone is extra prepared to come at you. This comes with success and it will be something this team has to overcome.

I think the high accolades are a little premature.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #41
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

"Average" special teams?

Special teams includes coverage and return games too and muffed kick/punt returns have hampered us.

We don't average a high return on punts and Omar Boldin has screwed us far too many times by bringing it out when he should just kneel it on kickoffs.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #42
jonny1
Ahhh, football!

Broncos' cheerleaders rule!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper

On a side note, I did not know that eyeglasses could be ironic . . . .

Don't these people have a proofreader and/or editor?

An "iconic" editor like Perry White?
jonny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #43
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamChowdah View Post
Try telling the Patriots and Texans that the Broncos defense is top 5, they went up and down the field.
until the 2nd half at which time we made adjustments and stopped them, even got a strip sack on Brady to make the game interesting.

I like our chances when we play at least one of these teams later this year in the playoffs. Our team will be better and have gelled by then and Houston and the Cheatriots can't really surprise us anymore.

Either way this is even more fun than last year.

when I saw the schedule I figured if we could go at least 3-3 through the 1st 6 games and PM got healthy we would have a good shot at getting the division late and making the playoffs. Chuggers helped us out by their suckage and at week 7 here the Broncos are with the division lead and the easy part of the schedule up.

Doesn't hurt that DT and PM are beasting and our D is 10 times improved with Mays replaced.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #44
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Well to be fair, Shotgun Edward would've literally been snapped in half playing in the SEC.
Then again if one below 50% NFL passer can complete almost 68% of his passes in the SEC...Brock could too, correct?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #45
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I think the high accolades are a little premature.
I beg to differ.....we're 4-3 after playing the 4-3 Steelers, the 7-0 Falcons, 6-1 Texans, 5-3 Patriots and while their records are stellar, the highly potent offenses of the Chargers and Saints.

Regardless of how you look at it, that's a murderer's row of teams to play....and the team is obviously getting better defensively and offensively.

I think this team is on the upswing and starting to get their **** together.....
Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #46
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamChowdah View Post
so did we against them....and we both know that the Broncos beat themselves in those games.....
Old 10-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #47
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:

I think some on here actually would
The whole "If we don't win a SB with Manning this was all a giant failure" argument from a few of the tards on here suggested it is better to suck with no expectations

That is Chief fan mentality
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #48
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I am with the "watch out Bengals, Bucs, Panthers, and Browns" crowd.
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #49
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
I beg to differ.....we're 4-3 after playing the 4-3 Steelers, the 7-0 Falcons, 6-1 Texans, 5-3 Patriots and while their records are stellar, the highly potent offenses of the Chargers and Saints.

Regardless of how you look at it, that's a murderer's row of teams to play....and the team is obviously getting better defensively and offensively.

I think this team is on the upswing and starting to get their **** together.....
Good point. I think you'd be hard pressed to argue that this team isn't on an upswing. The secondary has really solidified and the team runs 3 or 4 deep at CB beyond Champ. Since Mays has been extracted from the lineup, the team as a whole seems to attack the ball much more efficiently. Particularly sniffing out bubble screens, quick hitter draws etc. D-line depth and MLB play are still major concerns though.

Offensively this team is clicking, and Manning is all-world, but depth concerns at skill positions remain. If Willis tweaks a hammie, what happens? Hillman had a really nice game, but he's still not a guy that you're going to feed the ball to.

If Decker or Thomas get dinged, suddenly depth at WR becomes a concern.

Although all of these are relatively minor concerns when PFM is playing like PFM.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #50
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:

"Average" special teams?

I'm thinking our return game hasn't fared too well. First, a competent but slow punt returner. Second, No kickoff returns of note in the high altitude. Third, fumbles.

Comes out to "average."

Maybe our new returner can hold onto the ball. If so, he showed some VERY nice flashes on Sunday on punt returns. Not so good on his one kickoff return. Should have taken a knee.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote