The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 02:05 AM   #76
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Good post.

We have a better defense with DJ/VON/WW. We also have a better shot of beating the Texans/Patriots in the playoffs, should the Broncos meet them. Those two teams have TE's and a run game we couldn't stop.
And dj is not the answer especially against the run. While I can say I do not remember seeing dj in coverage, that does not mean he has been. I can say if he was it was not memorable either way.

I can say that his run tackling while high in numbers is not very effective at stopping them for getting positive yards.

Y'all have to get over your live affair with this moron. He will break your heart.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:42 AM   #77
Nwp-Apap

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
oh brother are you serious. or are you writing fiction..

obviously you have not been reading any of the Woodyard threads..

that or you are DUI Williams or his bromance..
What?

Quote:
Y'all have to get over your love affair with this moron. He will break your heart.
I have watched him play for the Broncos for almost a decade and have yet to be disappointed in him on the field, why should that start now with one of the better Bronco teams we've had since he was drafted?
Old 10-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #78
Mile High 81
Solid Starter

For me this simple:

Woddy is the starter. DJ is in the backup Rotation for WLB/MLB, when he comes back.
You can not have enough depth. You see how fast a player can go down (Mays).

Also there a PO teams (Texans/Ravens) who need a LB. You can not give him DJ for free.

Without the Pats, I think we can beat any AFC Team. So do not make them stronger.
Mile High 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #79
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I grew up with Tom Jackson and Bob Swenson ... so I've never really trusted OLBs that don't make big plays now and then. Not Donnie Spragan, Terry Pierce,Ian Gold or Louis Green. The line on DJ was always he's a great athlete, always in position, lots of tackles. But eventually an OLB has to do something to win a game.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #80
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I grew up with Tom Jackson and Bob Swenson ... so I've never really trusted OLBs that don't make big plays now and then. Not Donnie Spragan, Terry Pierce,Ian Gold or Louis Green. The line on DJ was always he's a great athlete, always in position, lots of tackles. But eventually an OLB has to do something to win a game.
I get the point your making, but DJ showed up last year on film and in big plays. Like a forced fumble late in the game that gave our offense another miracle win.

It's really as simple as this: DJ makes us a better team on the field - unless you think Brooking is going to hold up all year long.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #81
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The mike position is still running around like a headless chicken, though, and that is where most people wanted DJ when he returned. Running teams have gashed Denver pretty much every game so far. Trevethan did show a lot of promise, I'll say that. Strange that he was out there first, too, over the number of mikes drafted in the past two years.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #82
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
I get the point your making, but DJ showed up last year on film and in big plays. Like a forced fumble late in the game that gave our offense another miracle win.

It's really as simple as this: DJ makes us a better team on the field - unless you think Brooking is going to hold up all year long.
I agree over Brooking and Mays that DJ is better. However, he should not just jump into a starting role as soon as the suspension ends. Work needs to be put in, he needs to earn the spot with on the field production. By just giving a guy who has done nothing for the team this year an automatic starting spot can cause some tension on the team. But if the team let's him earn a starting spot it reinforces that the best start. You can't say a guy with 0 production or participation is automatically the best.

That being said I say when he returns he begins as Brooking's backup and a special teamer. As he shows he is better than let him return to starting in the middle.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #83
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:

He's certainly the best we have available, agree WW/DJ/VON is the best group. But if he couldn't play in the middle, would we really want him back? Funny, moving him all over supposedly stunted his potential early, but that versatility might just extend his career a few years. A versatile, athletic veteran, maybe with something to prove, sounds like the kinda player teams rely on to make postseason runs.

And does Ian Gold really deserve all the grief he gets? For a 5'11" 218 pound LB, he made some big plays ... beat the Raiders with a blocked kick+TD as a rookie I think, IntRetTD beat or pounded the last nail in the Bengals in the '03 opener, and didn't he bat down Brunell's 4th down pass to beat the Redskins in the rain in '04. That game at Invesco most memorable to me for what Kevin Maas said on the telecast: "Anything can happen here folks, remember this is where John Elway engineered The Drive to beat the Browns in the playoffs."
Old 10-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #84
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
He's certainly the best we have available, agree WW/DJ/VON is the best group. But if he couldn't play in the middle, would we really want him back? Funny, moving him all over supposedly stunted his potential early, but that versatility might just extend his career a few years. A versatile, athletic veteran, maybe with something to prove, sounds like the kinda player teams rely on to make postseason runs.

And does Ian Gold really deserve all the grief he gets? For a 5'11" 218 pound LB, he made some big plays ... beat the Raiders with a blocked kick+TD as a rookie I think, IntRetTD beat or pounded the last nail in the Bengals in the '03 opener, and didn't he bat down Brunell's 4th down pass to beat the Redskins in the rain in '04. That game at Invesco most memorable to me for what Kevin Maas said on the telecast: "Anything can happen here folks, remember this is where John Elway engineered The Drive to beat the Browns in the playoffs."
John "the DRIVE" was in CLE and ended up with the TD in the dawg pound end zone....
Old 10-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #85
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I agree over Brooking and Mays that DJ is better. However, he should not just jump into a starting role as soon as the suspension ends. Work needs to be put in, he needs to earn the spot with on the field production. By just giving a guy who has done nothing for the team this year an automatic starting spot can cause some tension on the team. But if the team let's him earn a starting spot it reinforces that the best start. You can't say a guy with 0 production or participation is automatically the best.

That being said I say when he returns he begins as Brooking's backup and a special teamer. As he shows he is better than let him return to starting in the middle.
Ok, let's stop talking opinions.

Here are facts:

1. Why does DJ have to earn the spot? Brooking certainly didn't, Mays lost it.
2. How many 2nd half tackles does Brooking have in the past two games as starter? I can barely remember two/three.
3. How many tackles for a loss, forced fumbles etc does Brooking have?

Yes, Brooking lines up the Defense (sometimes) but the guy physically fades badly as the game wears on. So much so that we're constantly having to sub/move guys like Trevathan in and out.

I agree that DJ has been as dumb as a bag of **** but on the field he's vastly superior in the physical aspect of the game. As long as he's not mentally damaged he can take the next three weeks (under suspension but can be present at the facility) to get up to speed on the defense.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #86
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:

Here are facts:

2. How many 2nd half tackles does Brooking have in the past two games as starter? I can barely remember two/three.

Yes, Brooking lines up the Defense (sometimes) but the guy physically fades badly as the game wears on. So much so that we're constantly having to sub/move guys like Trevathan in and out.

I agree that DJ has been as dumb as a bag of **** but on the field he's vastly superior in the physical aspect of the game. As long as he's not mentally damaged he can take the next three weeks (under suspension but can be present at the facility) to get up to speed on the defense.

FWIW all of what you have said is your opinion and not necessarily facts..
actually Brookings has 1 FF this year.. and nine for his career.. which puts him up one of dumb ass..

I realize you think DJ is a great LB but he no better than WW has been the past two years.. as a Mike he was average at best.. for the money he is making he should be near super star..

and what has he done the past year but be a dumb ass..

I trust that JDR will do the right thing and barring another injury that means he plays backup at best.. the fastest thing that could ruin a locker room is pulling players that have been busting their butts all season long doing a good job to insert a moron that had his second DUI that has been reported, could not piss human urine and then screw the pooch with his playbook FUBAR..

That is my Opinion..
Old 10-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #87
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
John "the DRIVE" was in CLE and ended up with the TD in the dawg pound end zone....
I know, right? Arguably a Top 10 moment in the history of the sport, and No Maas blurts out wrong stadium and wrong city. I don't think I've ever heard a gaffe of such magnitude ... the guys in the truck were undoubtedly struck so dumbfounded they couldn't correct him in his stupid chefs ear.

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 10-30-2012 at 02:31 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #88
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

Here are facts:

Why does DUI Williams need to earn his spot? Because this is the NFL where you earn playing time. This isn't a guy coming back from injury. This is a guy whose stupidity hurt his team. DUI isn't a phenomenal talent that deserves a starting spot no questions asked.

Brooking was brought in for leadership and on field help. And because Mays wasn't cutting it he took over. Say what you want about him but Brooking is helping the D. Top 10 ranking in numerous stats. DUI has not been missed.

How many plays has Brooking made? Here's your answer, MORE THAN DUI HAS THIS YEAR!

Brooking may be inferior, but he has been here. He has played and shed sweat and blood on the field with his teammates. What has DUI done?
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #89
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Woodyard has more INT's this year than Denver LB's combined for about the past 5 years. I think the last time Denver's LB's had 2 INT's for the entire season was 2007.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #90
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Wesley Woodyard is, was, and always will be one of my all time favorite Broncos. The dude plays with heart and hustle and that means a lot to me... now if you can do that and do it well, then you're in my book of awesome. So to the man who supplanted the lumber yard with the wood yard, my hat is off to you sir!

Also, gave him a high five once, biggest ****ing hands... made me feel insecure about my manhood.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #91
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Why does DUI Williams need to earn his spot? Because this is the NFL where you earn playing time. This isn't a guy coming back from injury. This is a guy whose stupidity hurt his team. DUI isn't a phenomenal talent that deserves a starting spot no questions asked.

Brooking was brought in for leadership and on field help. And because Mays wasn't cutting it he took over. Say what you want about him but Brooking is helping the D. Top 10 ranking in numerous stats. DUI has not been missed.

How many plays has Brooking made? Here's your answer, MORE THAN DUI HAS THIS YEAR!

Brooking may be inferior, but he has been here. He has played and shed sweat and blood on the field with his teammates. What has DUI done?
Its about putting the best linebackers out there.

Brookings is not a good linebacker, way past his prime. He was brought in for depth when nobody else in the league wanted him, in fact there was talk he would be cut from the Broncos in camp.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #92
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Question - Who has the green dot for the D when Brooking or Mays isn't in? Adams? Somebody has to take the plays from Del Rio when they yank the MLB and go nickle.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #93
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Question - Who has the green dot for the D when Brooking or Mays isn't in? Adams? Somebody has to take the plays from Del Rio when they yank the MLB and go nickle.
Woodyard has the green dot.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #94
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Sorry you can't remember DJ playing MLB. He was awful!!!
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #95
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Only the guy who has a yard... full of wood.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #96
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Here are facts:

Actually, this ain't facts. Just your opinion.

1. Why does he have to earn it? Are you for real? First there where the reports that he was learning a new position. Second, he didn't get any reps during camp because of the long layoff. Third, dude must be rusty as hell and not being in the meeting room during the evolution of our defense in-season has to be bad for the chemistry part.

2. Who cares how many tackles he has! The opposing offense is for once not running straight at our MLB. He may and old fart... but he is an old fart that knows which holes or gaps to hit to flush the play another way.

3. How many many tackles for a loss, forced fumbles etc has DJ had that actually made a difference? Not many. Has DJ had some great games? Sure! The only problem.... he has had way more below average outings.

Athletically DJ is a beast, mentally... my dog runs circle numerous times around his head.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #97
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:

excellent post.. why so many folks are in love with this moron is beyond me.. he has never been a star player never matched his draft status and certainly has not earned the extravagant contract he got from mikey..

he is an average LB that was at the time better than the rest of the trash on D, that is hardly saying anything.. other than he was above average on a sub par defense..

I have said it several times while his team mate may like him and want t party with the guy he is hardly the example of work ethic I want my kiddie LB to model themselves after .. One DUI is more than enough for a leader, in fact I have to wonder how many times he may have been stopped and because he was a Bronco allowed to catch a cab home or was driven home by fan officers..

NO one knows for sure, we all know that stuff like this happens.. Is the reason he was so belligerent the last time is because he got away with it before?

If it were my team I would cut him barring any further injuries at LB.. If for no other reason to set an example..
Old 10-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #98
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Sorry you can't remember DJ playing MLB. He was awful!!!
I honestly think that DJ played a worse MLB than Joe Mays ever did.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #99
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
I'm not talking about off the field stuff. On the field he's the best MLB we have and I've see nothing from to you change that.

Quote:
Again, your opinion and not fact. Brooking isn't making tackles near the line of scrimmage, he barely makes tackles at all, so I'm not sure what specifically he's doing to help here apart from helping line up the defense but DJ can do that.

Quote:

That's cute. Brooking has been a starter all of two games, and you're talking about him being here shedding blood and sweat?

I guess we must have had an impersonator at MLB/WLB with DJ all these years and over a 100 games where he played mostly behind a bunch of castoff DTs.

Your opinions don't really matter on this anyway. The Broncos brought in Brooking not to replace DJ but to be an option to fill in while he served his suspension.

I like Brooking, he's a leader on the field and has a ton of experience and is a good backup policy. But that's about it.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #100
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Woodyard has the green dot.
Dude is due for a payday next year, same with Chris Harris and Clady.