The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Using Holiday in right spots

I had noticed something in the last game that I think makes alot of sense. When the other team is near midfield and trying to land their punt inside our 20 yard line, putting Leonard back there to field punts makes sense. He has better hands and is less likely to muff the punt in such a crucial part of the field. I also noticed that when a punt was being kicked from closer to the other teams side of the field, where a punt is more likely to be returned rather then a fair catch, Holiday is in there for those. I think this was a smart coaching decision and I think it showed during the game that it's the correct way to go moving forward. You can't just throw away the potential of those return yards by having Leonard field all the punts but you like him back there for those fair catches.

Thoughts?
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Holiday, while explosive, still scares the crap out of me back there. Given Manning's ability to make 98 yard drives look easy, I'm still not convinced the value of a few extra yards is worth the risk.....but what do I know?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Holiday, while explosive, still scares the crap out of me back there. Given Manning's ability to make 98 yard drives look easy, I'm still not convinced the value of a few extra yards is worth the risk.....but what do I know?
What we both know is that Boldin brings the ball out of the end zone way too often on kick offs.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I had noticed something in the last game that I think makes alot of sense. When the other team is near midfield and trying to land their punt inside our 20 yard line, putting Leonard back there to field punts makes sense. He has better hands and is less likely to muff the punt in such a crucial part of the field. I also noticed that when a punt was being kicked from closer to the other teams side of the field, where a punt is more likely to be returned rather then a fair catch, Holiday is in there for those. I think this was a smart coaching decision and I think it showed during the game that it's the correct way to go moving forward. You can't just throw away the potential of those return yards by having Leonard field all the punts but you like him back there for those fair catches.

Thoughts?
Yeah, good observation. Holliday is a good to have on booming punts. Leonhard is better possessing the ball on shorter punts inside the 20. The coaching staff, once again, comes up with an effective solution.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

He's a genuine threat to take one to the house and gets this offense in solid field position. Holiday needs to get the ball more. You try and get the ball to your best players as often as possible, instead of worrying about things like fumbles.

It really is that simple.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
I would like to give Holiday lots of chances to prove himself. He has talent. Hate to miss out on it by giving up on him too early

I think Zona poses the prefect solution in the OP.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
You know a lot about movies, Mr. Ebert.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

agreed. Very solid coaching decision.

Holiday is so cat quick and comfortable on PR it is fun to watch.

If we are in the playoff with the game on the line though.... im not so sure id go Holiday in that spot unless we 'needed' a big return
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I have a feeling teams are going to fear punting the ball to us for other reasons then giving the ball back to Manning.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Didn't the announcers mention something along the lines of, Manning only had 2 drives of 98 yards while in Indy?
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Didn't the announcers mention something along the lines of, Manning only had 2 drives of 98 yards while in Indy?
Yes, but that's a very misleading stat. I'm talking more 90+ overall, not just 98 and only 98. And I'd like to know how many times he actually had the opportunity to have a 98 yard drive in Indy. It's not like people drop punts at the 2 every game. It's actually pretty rare.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #12
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

What actually scares me is having that little guy floating around there with those big men trying to tackle him. One of these day Holliday is going going to get folded in half a la Johnny Knox.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
Lycan
Omelette Dreamer

What about using him as an offensive weapon?

Could be a threat on screens or deep bombs. I imagine he's very raw though.
Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
I noticed last night many defenders grabbing at his arms most likely to dislodge the ball than going for his legs..

not that they were on position to get at the legs but i saw him jerked at a couple of times..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
What we both know is that Boldin brings the ball out of the end zone way too often on kick offs.
If that ****ing guy brings out another kick from inside the end zone I am going to go ballistic.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
I noticed last night many defenders grabbing at his arms most likely to dislodge the ball than going for his legs..

not that they were on position to get at the legs but i saw him jerked at a couple of times..
And he did bobble the ball on that long return but he was able to secure it and keep running. That bobble will not be missed on file study by Cincinnati though.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #17
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

That move that Holliday put on one of the Saints gunners on a punt in the 4th quarter was ****ing ridiculous, the guy came bombing down trying to make the tackle and missed him by like a good 5 yards.

I agree that I'd only put Holliday in there when a team is punting from deep in their own territory and there's a real shot at a good return. If a team are punting from anywhere near the halfway like I'm happy with Leonhard back there fielding.

Would like to see Holliday back on kickoffs though. Boldin hasn't impressed me, what with the fumble and that return that he took to the 6 yard line and all that.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
And he did bobble the ball on that long return but he was able to secure it and keep running. That bobble will not be missed on file study by Cincinnati though.
I don't think he bobbled it. The force of the guy pulling at the ball forced his arm to move opposite his body. He still had it secure. That's what I saw anyway.

Another coaching thing here I would be drilling into these guys is, do not hold or block in the back on punt returns. Do your best to block but a guy like Holiday can make people miss on his own and the last thing we need, as we saw one this past Sunday, is a nice return to be negated by a stupid penalty.

I could see them giving him a snap or two on the offense. If you get him some work at it, you never know when you might hit one big with him.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #19
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I was not sure if it was bobbled but he was jerked a couple of times about the arms level.. so I'm guessing that the book is already written on him..

your correct CIN will be poking and jobbing at the ball..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #20
Bronco Yoda

Leonard is still going to be the man once the weather turns nasty.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #21
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
He's a genuine threat to take one to the house and gets this offense in solid field position. Holiday needs to get the ball more. You try and get the ball to your best players as often as possible, instead of worrying about things like fumbles.

Good point.

The great thing about this coaching staff is that they are not content to stand pat and just go with the guys they have.

Fox has proven that he if a player is teh suck on the field he will get teh bench like Mays and totally inactive like KM. If he finds a better horse he will change to it even midstream as long as it makes the team better.

I love seeing them put Trevathan out there, Brooking, Hillman, even Muff guy.

Fox gets bashed here a lot but they are not afraid to adjust or find guys during the season. Just look at how terrible kfc is and what they have done to get better...NOTHING!
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #22
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post

Bump!

Holiday taking it one to the House!!!
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #23
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Keep proving me wrong Holiday. That's all I ask.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #24
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I am not sure if he was used as a KR in Houston, sure looked like he froze on the ball that was kicked short, not sure why he even let it bounce I would have to look at it again but he is responsible for covering that.

Love the TD but he needs to be much more consistent and reliable.
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #25
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I am not sure if he was used as a KR in Houston, sure looked like he froze on the ball that was kicked short, not sure why he even let it bounce I would have to look at it again but he is responsible for covering that.

Love the TD but he needs to be much more consistent and reliable.
Id have to watch it again too, but he expected it to bounce, it died...fine. And then SuperBall swooped in before he could even do anything
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote