The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
Ronnie Tsunami

Default Where the hell did these disgustingly awesome defensive players come from?!?!

For YEARS we've been searching for a viable #2 corner. We haven't really come close. Bly was horrible, etc. This is unbelievable. Some years we're hard pressed to find ONE up and coming D guy, this year we have a slew.

It seems like we have 3 extremely legit #2 corners. Tracy Porter is a very capable #2, fringe #1 if he can get over his latest speed bump.

Tony Carter... Holy hell, I was wrong about that guy. I wanted him cut so badly after the pre-season. I thought he was god awful, and in my defense, he was pretty horrible during the pre-season... But god is that guy quick.. God can that guy cover in certain scenarios.

Don't even get me started about Harris. I think he is going to be the best football player of the bunch. He was so solid last year, and this year he just keeps making plays. He might not have the speed of Porter or Carter, but I think he has the best shot of developing into a Charles Tillman, maybe even a Rashean Mathis caliber #1 corner.

Very exciting time to be a Broncos fan! and this doesn't even consider consider Wolfe, who is a great 3rd pass rush guy, doesn't consider Woodyard, whose been a beast, Or Trevathan, who I think has a shot to become a Woodyard type guy 4 years or so down the line.

Boom.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #2
colorado jones
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The Lisfranc injury (also known as the Lisfranc fracture, Lisfranc dislocation, Lisfranc fracture dislocation, tarsometatarsal injury, or simply midfoot injury) is an injury of the foot in which one or all of the metatarsal bones are displaced from the tarsus.[1][2] This type of injury is named after Jacques Lisfranc de St. Martin (2 April 1790–13 May 1847), the French surgeon and gynecologist who first described the injury in 1815, after the War of the Sixth Coalition.
colorado jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
schaaf

I thought Tony Carter did well in the preseason, just seemed to keep getting called for Interference. The majority of those calls was just good defense but the replacement refs kept calling them.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Offenses know they have about 3 seconds to get rid of the ball when they're down.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

I'm not ready to start chugging the Kool-aid yet. However, that was a very encouraging performance against one of the better Offenses in the league. I was particularly happy with the Defense's performance on 3rd down, which has been a bit of an Achilles heel for us this season. The D largely got off the field on 3rd down and allowed Peyton and Co. to do their thing. Good win.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Or corners are balling. Del Rio has that team understanding how each of their roles affects the larger sum and they are commiting to it. Didn't you just know after that big win before the bye the Chargers were going to go into a tail spin and the Broncos were going to surge? It just felt that way.

Also props to Brooking who has managed to keep our defense lined up the way we are supposed to be.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I'm most curious how we handle the return of DJ. We cant keep Woodyard off the field at this point. Can DJ supplant Brooking? I'd think so, but does he want to move inside. He may have no choice if he wants to play.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

it is a combination of several factors.

1. Stability- Even though the DC has changed, the philosophy/ideology of the defense has not. If you are not shaking up the ant farm every season, it's easier to adapt.

2. Manning Factor- They are practicing against a high end QB that doesn't give them a break or pull up in practice. You have to be sharp there or it's rock alexander time.

3. Pressure- While the sacks haven't come in bunches, QB's are forced to either rush their reads or throw under pressure.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

It's crazy but I think our young core of Woody, Harris, and Carter were all undrafted free agents.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
BroncoBeavis

Really exciting game last night.

I think the biggest difference overall though was the offense not ****ting the bed in the first half and forcing NO to play catch up.

Our D will look 10x tougher any time the opponent is forced to go one-dimensional.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I'm most curious how we handle the return of DJ. We cant keep Woodyard off the field at this point. Can DJ supplant Brooking? I'd think so, but does he want to move inside. He may have no choice if he wants to play.
I say we handle the return of DJ by not allowing the return of DJ. **** him, this is a better defense than any that DJ was a part of and I, for one, don't think it's a coincidence.

He's a selfish turd and shouldn't be added to a unit that is playing selfless, team football.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #12
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Depth is depth. I don't advocate handing D.J. a starting job right off of his suspension. But, I also can't get behind cutting him outright. Stuff happens during the course of the season and I would rather turn to D.J. to back fill an injury instead of trolling the waiver wires and practice squads.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #13
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Depth is depth. I don't advocate handing D.J. a starting job right off of his suspension. But, I also can't get behind cutting him outright. Stuff happens during the course of the season and I would rather turn to D.J. to back fill an injury instead of trolling the waiver wires and practice squads.
This. It is reactionary thinking to want to cut DJ Williams.

But he has to earn his spot on this D by playing into it.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #14
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
DJ is too stupid to play MLB. When we experimented with him on that position, the coaching staff had to take away DJ's play calling. If not mistaken the DL called the plays the last half of that season. Can't remember if DJ gave the responsibility away or taken. Anyway... the reason the defensive production has been way better the last couple of week, has to do with Brooking getting everyone lined up correctly.

Would love to see DJ on the field since athletically he is way better than Brooking, but since his IQ is proven to be that of a 3 year old, he would just be a liability.
Heyneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

1. We were built to play from a lead.
2. We hadn't been playing with leads.
3. The offense didn't crap the bed with multiple turnovers that led to points early in the game to get us behind.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #16
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
I'm not suggesting we cut him, but that he be a special teams player.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I'm really happy with the D playing well esp without huge nights from Doom or Miller. Imagine if Doom and Miller have huge nights what this D could be. All the fans who thought last year was fun this tops that a million times over.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #18
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I'm really happy with the D playing well esp without huge nights from Doom or Miller. Imagine if Doom and Miller have huge nights what this D could be. All the fans who thought last year was fun this tops that a million times over.
Miller and Doom had a huge night before the game ever started, they forced NO into a game plan that didn't work. NO knew they needed to get the ball out in a hurry, and didn't run many plays that took time to develop. That's because of the presence of Miller and Dumerville.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #19
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

I think the fine folks of the Orangemane have it figured out. We don't cut DJ, but we don't pretend like everything is back to normal. Del Rio has the defense working as a cohesive unit, so DJ becomes depth. We'll see if Del Rio agrees...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #20
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I think the fine folks of the Orangemane have it figured out. We don't cut DJ, but we don't pretend like everything is back to normal. Del Rio has the defense working as a cohesive unit, so DJ becomes depth. We'll see if Del Rio agrees...
Definitely have to make him earn his way back onto the field. You have to set the precedent that the off the field shenanigans won't be tolerated if your eye is really on the prize. I hope Del Rio and Fox are thinking the same way...
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #21
IBeWriteGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I say we handle the return of DJ by not allowing the return of DJ. **** him, this is a better defense than any that DJ was a part of and I, for one, don't think it's a coincidence.

He's a selfish turd and shouldn't be added to a unit that is playing selfless, team football.
So you're attributing the better defensive play to the absense of DJ...when our defense has 7 different starters not including WW (Bannan, Vickerson, Wolfe, Brooking, Porter/Harris, Moore, Adams) when compared to last year's team?

That doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'd like to think that a better secondary and better play along the interior DL --- in addition to better coaching/scheming --- would have something to do with it.

DJ is an upgrade over Brooking, and assuming he can get back in football shape quickly --- possibly WW. There's a reason he's started for nearly a decade.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #22
g6matty

Quote:
Remember in pre season he tweeted that pic of the playbook and quoted he was learning a new position this year , maybe he's already learning mike
Old 10-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #23
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeWriteGood View Post
DJ is an upgrade over Brooking.
Lulz. Maybe in combine drills, but certainly not in understanding how to play the game and in leading a defense.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #24
broncs2bowl
Ring of Famer

^Club of Death^

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Del Rio had some pretty awesome stunts in that game, something i didn't see until this game
broncs2bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #25
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I'm not suggesting we cut him, but that he be a special teams player.
And just as I'm saying it, reports surface the Joe Mays is out for the season with a broken leg.