The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #51
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

They seem to be improving at getting off the field on 3rd down - esp the dreaded 3rd and long.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #52
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
They seem to be improving at getting off the field on 3rd down - esp the dreaded 3rd and long.
Yeah the Saints were 1 for 12 on 3rd down!! Nice job guys!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #53
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Broncos D has been awesome when they played Oakland, SD, and NO. What do all these games have in common? No Mays! Coincidence? I think not!
sgbfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #54
LongDongJohnson
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post
Broncos D has been awesome when they played Oakland, SD, and NO. What do all these games have in common? No Mays! Coincidence? I think not!
Most definitely not a coincidence. Mays is no good.
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:36 AM   #55
spiralism

Quote:
Collinsworth was pointing out that Brooking was getting players in the right position and organising the D all night. Mays hasn't the ability to do that. Or anything other than tackle somebody directly ahead of him
Old 10-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #56
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Their 3 best games have been when Joe Mays was either suspended or relegated to special teams.

Carter, Harris, and Leonhard have come up big as well.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #57
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I was surprised how successful the D was last night considering the lack of pass rush. You'd expect Brees to kill us with time to throw.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #58
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I was surprised how successful the D was last night considering the lack of pass rush. You'd expect Brees to kill us with time to throw.
It was there, but Brees is no dummy,they went with the quick passes. That played into the defensive gameplan. The threat of the Denver pass rush still made that performance possible.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #59
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Coverage is tightening up!

Outside of last night's best Broncos LB performance since Al Wilson from WWIII, we also saw some excellent play out of Trevathan last night, for one.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #60
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Our secondary was playing very in your face aggressive D and it was a thing of beauty.

It was a great defensive game plan. JDR is getting a lot out of the young guys
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #61
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Our secondary was playing very in your face aggressive D and it was a thing of beauty.

It was a great defensive game plan. JDR is getting a lot out of the young guys
Ya the secondary is playing tons better than start of the season. The reaction times are impressive. I'm very happy with how this defense has progressed. Collinsworth brought up a point that it seems it doesn't just have to be Von and doom pressuring to get results. Others are stepping up in their duties
Old 10-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #62
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

We didn't get sacks, but the pressure was there
Guys were getting in Brees face and I think that was leading to some of his throws being a bit off
He couldnt get into rythm, our defense wouldnt let him

How nice is it for once to actually give a great qb a hard time?
That is something we havent seen in a long time
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #63
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
We didn't get sacks, but the pressure was there
You think so? I would say it was sometimes but overall I'd categorize it as "inconsistent". But whatever we did it worked! But I have to agree with what Collinsworth noted: you would assume big days from Von and Doom would be needed to win this game. We only sacked Brees once (Woodyard), and only hit him one other time (Von). You're normally not going to beat Brees with those numbers.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #64
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Quote:
You think so? I would say it was sometimes but overall I'd categorize it as "inconsistent". But whatever we did it worked! But I have to agree with what Collinsworth noted: you would assume big days from Von and Doom would be needed to win this game. We only sacked Brees once (Woodyard), and only hit him one other time (Von). You're normally not going to beat Brees with those numbers.
Brees needs passing lanes because he is so short and I thought our Dline did a good job clogging up those lanes and making him uncomfortable

I wasnt expecting us to sack him a lot since he is one of the hardest qbs to sack like Manning

But the main thing was we needed to clog up the throwing lanes and force him to move around and I thought we did that

Last edited by Br0nc0Buster; 10-29-2012 at 08:47 AM..
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #65
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

I am very giddy today because of the defense. It cannot be understated how awesome they looked against a top notch offense.

Very, very encouraging. Especially when you combine it with the fact that Manning is basically almost back to MVP form. LOOK OUT!
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #66
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
Collinsworth was pointing out that Brooking was getting players in the right position and organising the D all night.
Should be the reason DJ is relegated to backup if kept at all as a spare part in case of injury. we all know from years past experience that Dj can't make calls like that either.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #67
Bacchus

Quote:
There was also no Porter for two of thoise games.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #68
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Now if this defense could just figure out how to defend the Patriots we'd be in business!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #69
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
When Brees kept throwing right before a defender got to him, it means that he is throwing earlier than he would like to. He had 20 incompletions, and it's not because he just had an off night.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #70
bronco militia
Ring of Famer

THE GREATEST

it was nice seeing Von Miller playing well in coverage. He is quickly becoming the complete bad ass LB the broncos have desperately needed.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #71
pricejj
jungle

Crowd noise definitely played a factor. It was loud the entire game, and especially on 3rd downs...from my perspective.

Also, Keith Brookings pink rambo-style headband, may have played a factor...
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #72
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
There was also no Porter for two of thoise games.
no sure he comes back as a starter if he comes back at all..

these kiddies are doing a great job..
in fact last night it looked like Champ was the guy brees was picking on.. I know that is because of Colston..

but even so it may be time for Champ to decide to finish his career at Free safety..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #73
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Coverage is tightening up!

Outside of last night's best Broncos LB performance since Al Wilson from WWIII, we also saw some excellent play out of Trevathan last night, for one.
Yeah the LB position was solid all night long and not the usual liability underneath and down the seams that it has been. However, Graham played horrible last night, maybe due to injury. He dropped 4 first down passes and the Saints were sloppy on the deep balls they usually connect on. DEN had a lot to do with that, but the Saints gave them a lot of favors too.

Brees was under some decent pressure, but he also was off more than usual when he did not have it either. Overall, it was a combination of DEN playing aggressive coverages and giving Brees some different looks all night long in passing situations along with NO not looking very NO like on offense. Sean Payton was very missed last night as the offense was not its usual multiple formations and personnel and it showed too.

Very happy with scheme and adjustments last night too. Lots of under brackets from the safeties and LB's without the blitzing. I liked the gameplan and even better the execution. Something they have struggled to do early in the game this year.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #74
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
no sure he comes back as a starter if he comes back at all..

these kiddies are doing a great job..
in fact last night it looked like Champ was the guy brees was picking on.. I know that is because of Colston..

but even so it may be time for Champ to decide to finish his career at Free safety..
The second half of this post is a joke right?
Old 11-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #75
Bacchus

Quote:
The Broncos have held Carolina and S.D. 0-20 on 3rd down the last two weeks!! This defense is something special and they are getting better every week.