The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P
Default Manning Article: One of the most detail oriented comebacks ever seen

I'd never seen/heard of anything like this before in my life. The attention to detail in that practice was absurd, and I really think this is one of the main reasons that the Broncos decided to break the bank. Still can't believe we have one of the greatest ever!

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf.../post_235.html
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

from the article:
The final exam came March 3. Cutcliffe ran Manning through the ultimate test: A play-by-play simulation of the Colts' 30-17 win against the New York Jets in the 2009 AFC championship game.
To authenticate the simulation, Manning flew in Colts teammates Jeff Saturday, Austin Collie and Dallas Clark, former Colts receiver Brandon Stokley and former Colts offense coordinator Tom Moore.
Using the play clock in Duke's indoor practice facility, Manning mimicked his 26-of-39, 377-yard, three-touchdown performance play by play, pass for pass, second by second.
As he'd done for the previous 13 seasons in Indianapolis, Saturday handled the center snaps. Collie and Clark played themselves. Depending on the play, Stokley was either Reggie Wayne or Pierre Garcon. Helfet was second tight end Jacob Tamme or H-back Gijon Robinson. Former Duke running back Jay Hollingsworth played running back Joseph Addai. Cutliffe charted the plays and called out the defenses.
"Our tempo and the amount of energy we expended was identical," Saturday said. "Everybody went down there knowing we were going to work. We knew he (Manning) was taking this very serious."
Manning called plays in huddle and made checks and hot reads at the line. When the script called for a run, they ran it. When it called for four wides out of the shotgun in no-huddle, they did likewise.
Duke Coach David Cutcliffe helped Peyton Manning in his comeback from major neck surgery. AP Photo / The Charlotte Observer, Chris Seward
No detail was overlooked during the three-hour workout. Each play was run at full sped from the exact yard line and hash mark as the real game. The receivers ran the same route trees and Manning completed the passes to the same targets. When the script called for the Jets to be on offense, Manning and company retreated to the sideline and waited for the exact time of possession to expire on the play clock before retaking the field. They even scripted a 12-minute break for halftime. The only thing they didn't have were defenders.
"It was the exact replica of the game," Helfet said.
"It was pretty impressive," Stokley said. "It showed you exactly what kind of detail Peyton went to in trying to get back. Most people would never even think about doing something like that."
In addition to providing a prime evaluation tool of Manning's mechanics and fundamentals, Cutcliffe said the game was a crucial physical conditioning test. It'd been more than 14 months since Manning had played a real NFL game and this was the closest he could come to simulating a real experience.
"Afterward, he was sweaty and worn out, but he had a big ole smile on his face," Cutcliffe said of Manning.
The Duke video crew recorded the game from both sideline and end zone angles. Cutcliffe and Manning then evaluated the game film from the workout and compared it side by side with the 2009 game, gauging his footwork, the velocity and trajectory of his throws and the speed of his drop-back and release.
The consensus: Manning was back.

After all that, indy STILL passed on him.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

The chance to have Luck for 10+ years vs having Manning for 3-4 years was they're deciding factor would be my guess
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
The chance to have Luck for 10+ years vs having Manning for 3-4 years was they're deciding factor would be my guess
they made the right choice

so glad they did.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

KC's D looks to have quit.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
KC's D looks to have quit.
Do you look where you are posting? You also had one of the Raiders vs Chiefs post in the early game thread. Get with it Ole Man!
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Do you look where you are posting? You also had one of the Raiders vs Chiefs post in the early game thread. Get with it Ole Man!
Evidentially not.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Evidentially not.
I hate when I do that, and I hate when people find it before I do!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote