The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #26
v2micca
Ring of Famer
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I'm puzzled as to why this is an issue. It's a big world and the rest of them have their own issues to deal with. That's been the line of thinking with super heroes who belong to teams since the idea first came about.

People never ask why Batman doesn't just call Superman to help him even though they are both in the Justice League.
Exactly. Just because all of my buddies showed up to help me move, doesn't mean I call them all back together to help out when my dog escapes from the back yard and I have to track him down. Some issues are more personal and you tend to deal with them on your own. Add in that Tony has been portrayed as a guy who has issues with admitting he needs help, and it makes perfect sense that the would go at it alone even after the big Avengers Team-Up.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #27
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Comics are like cartoons. This is idiotic saying it should stem away from being cartoonish.
Movies and heck video games/etc are away to escape from the realm of reality.
Well, they were made for young teenage boys about 13 years old. Like I said it reminded me of the attack of the clones movies. They could have been grittier and more realistic violence. Killing robots is lame. That is why the Batman series is so much better.

That being said Iron Man 3 looks really good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #28
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,396

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
Now, we are starting the summer movie season in April?
Global Warming.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #29
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,396

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I'm puzzled as to why this is an issue. It's a big world and the rest of them have their own issues to deal with. That's been the line of thinking with super heroes who belong to teams since the idea first came about.
I can see that with the Green Lantern when each of them has thousands of worlds to cover, but the Earth is a pretty small place and if things get as crazy as they look in this trailer, then I would think that we should expect more of an explanation than simply "he likes to work alone. I'll let him deal with this while I do whatever." I'll give Thor a pass, because I'm sure he's busy dealing with the his own planet and Loki, but the rest? We'll see how they deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
People never ask why Batman doesn't just call Superman to help him even though they are both in the Justice League.
Sure they do.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:19 AM   #30
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Well, they need to try to stay away from cartoonish. The monster from outserspace in the Avengers were lame. They were nothing but machines. Reminded me of the Star Wars movies atttack of the clones. Need to make the movies darker, like Batman and even Captain America had darkness to it.

I'm not saying I did not like the Avengers or Iron Man 2. I just think they could have been alot better.
Batman Begins was stupid.

Dark Knight was terrific but really, it was only great because of Heath Ledger's performance.

The Batman movies fatal flaw is, Batman sucks as a character. He's a borish brooding fellow full of self loathing and self pity.

Being dark doesn't make it a better movie, it makes it a different kind of movie. I have yet to see the new Batman (but want to!) so I cannot comment on it.

Iron Man 2 was better than Iron Man 1 for a variety of reasons. Namely, better actors (Don Cheadle > Terrance whatever his name is, and Mickey Rourke rules). I like Tony Stark's character infinitely more than I like Bruce Wayne. Both being rich, one is awesome and the other isn't.

That being said, Iron Man series is a little more "cartoonish" as you say, because the Iron Man comics were not nearly as dark as the Batman comics. The movie series are both fantastic IMO, but not comparable as they are both very different kinds of movies.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #31
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,449

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Batman Begins was stupid.

Dark Knight was terrific but really, it was only great because of Heath Ledger's performance.

The Batman movies fatal flaw is, Batman sucks as a character. He's a borish brooding fellow full of self loathing and self pity.

Being dark doesn't make it a better movie, it makes it a different kind of movie. I have yet to see the new Batman (but want to!) so I cannot comment on it.

Iron Man 2 was better than Iron Man 1 for a variety of reasons. Namely, better actors (Don Cheadle > Terrance whatever his name is, and Mickey Rourke rules). I like Tony Stark's character infinitely more than I like Bruce Wayne. Both being rich, one is awesome and the other isn't.

That being said, Iron Man series is a little more "cartoonish" as you say, because the Iron Man comics were not nearly as dark as the Batman comics. The movie series are both fantastic IMO, but not comparable as they are both very different kinds of movies.
Totally depends on which era of Batman comics you are dealing with.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #32
v2micca
Ring of Famer
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Batman Begins was stupid.
Well, we will have to agree to disagree there. I'll admit I felt it was the weakest of the Nolan Trilogy, but I felt it did a great job of introducing the character and actually letting him drive his own film for once.

Quote:
Dark Knight was terrific but really, it was only great because of Heath Ledger's performance.
I would argue, that the performances of Michael Caine, Aaron Eckhart, and Gary Oldman largely contributed to the film's success. Not to mention the script, directing, cinematography, ect. One lone actor giving it his all does not a quality film make.

Quote:
The Batman movies fatal flaw is, Batman sucks as a character. He's a borish brooding fellow full of self loathing and self pity.
Yes, Batman conforms to the classic Stoic Archetype. That's not everyone's cup of tea. But to dismiss the value of the character simply because he does not conform to your preferences is a mistake.

Quote:
Being dark doesn't make it a better movie, it makes it a different kind of movie. I have yet to see the new Batman (but want to!) so I cannot comment on it.
Here is one thing we can definitely agree on. Following the success of the recent Batman and James Bond films, I've seen far too many executives convinced that they need to make their own property "darker and grittier". Thankfully, this trend peaked before we ended up with a He-Man movie featuring Daniel Day-Lewis brutally and joylessly carving through the cast of the Departed in left-over sets from Children of Men. Some concepts are just fun and crazy and you need to embrace that aspect of them in the tone.

Quote:
Iron Man 2 was better than Iron Man 1 for a variety of reasons. Namely, better actors (Don Cheadle > Terrance whatever his name is, and Mickey Rourke rules). I like Tony Stark's character infinitely more than I like Bruce Wayne. Both being rich, one is awesome and the other isn't
.

Cheadle > Terrance. But, for reasons beyond his control (Direction, Script, ect) he added absolutely nothing to the role over Terrance. Sorry, even the great ones deliver duds. And once again, I get that you like Stark better than Wayne. He's Barney Stinson with a bigger budget and a collection of suits that opt for firepower over style. Of course he is awesome.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #33
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Well, Im not going to argue much because its all opinion but I will clarify. I didnt mean to say The Dark Knight was only great because of Heath Ledger's performance. It was a good story, script with all around good casting (save the chic who sucked). It was a good all around movie, Heath Ledger's performance as Joker made it a GREAT movie.

I dont dismiss the character of Bruce Wayne, he is who he is and the reason for why he is the way he is, is sound. And in the comics, Bruce is a much more relatable person IMO but in the movies, all of them, well I dont know, I dont hink anyone has really done it well (Keaton was probably the best as Batman even though the movies weren't nearly as good).

BTW
Children of Men was the worst movie I have ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Well, we will have to agree to disagree there. I'll admit I felt it was the weakest of the Nolan Trilogy, but I felt it did a great job of introducing the character and actually letting him drive his own film for once.



I would argue, that the performances of Michael Caine, Aaron Eckhart, and Gary Oldman largely contributed to the film's success. Not to mention the script, directing, cinematography, ect. One lone actor giving it his all does not a quality film make.



Yes, Batman conforms to the classic Stoic Archetype. That's not everyone's cup of tea. But to dismiss the value of the character simply because he does not conform to your preferences is a mistake.



Here is one thing we can definitely agree on. Following the success of the recent Batman and James Bond films, I've seen far too many executives convinced that they need to make their own property "darker and grittier". Thankfully, this trend peaked before we ended up with a He-Man movie featuring Daniel Day-Lewis brutally and joylessly carving through the cast of the Departed in left-over sets from Children of Men. Some concepts are just fun and crazy and you need to embrace that aspect of them in the tone.

.

Cheadle > Terrance. But, for reasons beyond his control (Direction, Script, ect) he added absolutely nothing to the role over Terrance. Sorry, even the great ones deliver duds. And once again, I get that you like Stark better than Wayne. He's Barney Stinson with a bigger budget and a collection of suits that opt for firepower over style. Of course he is awesome.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #34
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,396

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
It was a good story, script with all around good casting (save the chic who sucked).
Maggie Gyllenhaal? Would you have rathered they brought back Katie Holmes?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #35
v2micca
Ring of Famer
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Maggie Gyllenhaal? Would you have rathered they brought back Katie Holmes?
Even though I consider Maggie to be the better actress, yes, I would have preferred they brought back Holmes. While I have enjoyed Gyllenhall in other films, she is by far the weakest link of The Dark Knight. I'm not saying Katie would have done any better. But at least you would have had consistency between the two films. There is a disconnect between Bruce and Rachel in the second film. And I think that is largely due to the fact that even though it is the same character, with the new actress it just didn't feel like they had the history that had been established in the previous film.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #36
Pick Six
Armchair Poster
 
Pick Six's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,633

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Maggie Gyllenhaal? Would you have rathered they brought back Katie Holmes?
IMO, Holmes is easier on the eyes. Acting, be damned...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #37
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Maggie Gyllenhaal? Would you have rathered they brought back Katie Holmes?
Not what I said.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #38
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Batman Begins was stupid.

Dark Knight was terrific but really, it was only great because of Heath Ledger's performance.

The Batman movies fatal flaw is, Batman sucks as a character. He's a borish brooding fellow full of self loathing and self pity.

Being dark doesn't make it a better movie, it makes it a different kind of movie. I have yet to see the new Batman (but want to!) so I cannot comment on it.

Iron Man 2 was better than Iron Man 1 for a variety of reasons. Namely, better actors (Don Cheadle > Terrance whatever his name is, and Mickey Rourke rules). I like Tony Stark's character infinitely more than I like Bruce Wayne. Both being rich, one is awesome and the other isn't.

That being said, Iron Man series is a little more "cartoonish" as you say, because the Iron Man comics were not nearly as dark as the Batman comics. The movie series are both fantastic IMO, but not comparable as they are both very different kinds of movies.
From the previews it looks like Iron Man 3 is going to be pretty dark so that is good. As far as Iron Man 2 I think I liked it more than the Avengers. I haven't seen it for awhile. I hope the Avengers next movie will have a better villian.

Like you said a lot of it is the villian in the movies, Joker awesome, robots from outerspace uh not so much.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #39
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,396

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Not what I said.
Which is why I asked the questions. Note the question marks.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #40
Lycan
Omelette Dreamer
 
Lycan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
From the previews it looks like Iron Man 3 is going to be pretty dark so that is good. As far as Iron Man 2 I think I liked it more than the Avengers. I haven't seen it for awhile. I hope the Avengers next movie will have a better villian.

Like you said a lot of it is the villian in the movies, Joker awesome, robots from outerspace uh not so much.
Loki was the main villain. The robots were just his minions.

And Loki is awesome, not really dark, but still awesome.

If Thanos is indeed the villain in the next Avengers, which is likely as he was shown after the credits in the first one, it should be much darker.
Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #41
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Which is why I asked the questions. Note the question marks.
*shrug* I didnt think Katie Holmes was horrible. Certainly better looking. I don't really have a preference for her I just didn't care for whats-her-face replacing her. The other poster brought up the continuity thing, maybe that's it.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #42
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,364

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

I have problems with many of todays action movies. Yes you want to see action but most of these now have non stop action to the point where it gets washed out, you become so sensitized the action no longer has the full affect so to speak.

I'll take a thriller with "action" scenes, as in many of the Borne movies, vs a flat out washed out nonstop action like Transformers.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #43
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,982

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I have problems with many of todays action movies. Yes you want to see action but most of these now have non stop action to the point where it gets washed out, you become so sensitized the action no longer has the full affect so to speak.

I'll take a thriller with "action" scenes, as in many of the Borne movies, vs a flat out washed out nonstop action like Transformers.
You stfu right now. Transformers is awesome.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #44
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 36,281

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson
Default

Comic book movies have hit critical mass for me.

YAWN

When does Cloud Atlas come out?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:40 AM   #45
v2micca
Ring of Famer
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
You stfu right now. Transformers is awesome.
Seriously? Are we tallking about the same film franchise here? The one were a hack director and his shaky cam bullsh*t makes us watch 40 minutes of Goober McD*ckballs working out his girlfriend issues with stand-in ****dolls so we can get maybe 15 minutes of frenetic and nigh incomprehensible robot on robot action before the U.S. armed forces roll in and take care of things so Bay can indulge his military fetish? The same Franchise were the Transformers are only tertiary (not even secondary, tertiary) characters in their own g*dd*mned movie. That steaming pile is awesome?

Last edited by v2micca; 10-25-2012 at 04:44 AM..
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #46
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,396

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Comic book movies have hit critical mass for me.

YAWN

When does Cloud Atlas come out?
tomorrow
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #47
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,982

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Seriously? Are we tallking about the same film franchise here? The one were a hack director and his shaky cam bullsh*t makes us watch 40 minutes of Goober McD*ckballs working out his girlfriend issues with stand-in ****dolls so we can get maybe 15 minutes of frenetic and nigh incomprehensible robot on robot action before the U.S. armed forces roll in and take care of things so Bay can indulge his military fetish? The same Franchise were the Transformers are only tertiary (not even secondary, tertiary) characters in their own g*dd*mned movie. That steaming pile is awesome?
It sounds like you're watching Transformers and expecting Citizen Kane.

boobies, action, big ****ing robots. Jesus. Appreciate the movie for what it is.

It's like going to Snakes on a Plane and complaining the story was predictable.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #48
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,982

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Comic book movies have hit critical mass for me.

YAWN

When does Cloud Atlas come out?
Is that movie A Final Fantasy? I've just kinda watched a handful of Trailers, it looks exactly like a Final Fantasy.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:47 AM   #49
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,745

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Looks good. I'm not a critic, but Robert Downey Jr. is one hell of an actor and is a perfect fit for this role IMO, but I really liked the prior Iron Mans, Captain America (**** yeah!), Incredible Hulk, the Batman movies, Avengers was good. Transformers I wish had a lot more Optimus Prime, Megatron, and Starscream, but I enjoyed them anyway. Only one I really didn't like was Thor. That pile of crap movie made me fall asleep.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #50
v2micca
Ring of Famer
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
It sounds like you're watching Transformers and expecting Citizen Kane.
No, I was expecting a movie about Transformers. What I got was a movie about some douchenoozle's quest to get laid, while the Air Force fought off an alien invasion.

Quote:
boobies, action, big ****ing robots. Jesus. Appreciate the movie for what it is.
Fodder for RiffTrax? Because that is the only redeeming value I can come up with.

Quote:
It's like going to Snakes on a Plane and complaining the story was predictable.
I will see your random comparison and raise you a strained metaphor.
Its like dropping a turd in the bowl and then being concerned because you don't remember eating corn in the last few days.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:23 AM.


Denver Broncos