The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 05:52 AM   #76
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
I volunteer not to watch this. You, on the other hand, can verify that it actually took place.
Oh, it took place.

But in the end, it was Cruz with the money shot.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #77
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

I can't believe the passion in which Shanahan is being defended in Washington. Personally I have found it strange listening to the Washington fan base start sounding just like we did after a while. They got there a little faster, but of course Shanahan started his career in Denver with his best seasons, he earned patience. He has earned no such thing in DC, people don't (and shouldn't) care what he did here. The reality here is that Shanahan has a record of 14-25, and his time has been littered with confusing decisions. No one is calling for him to be fired, but they are starting to rightfully question some of the decision making. How many coaches last through 3 straight losing seasons, I doubt many. He needs to show real improvement, the only improvement so far is RGIII. Which is great, the kid's a baller. Washington's offense ate up yards last season as well, the difference is RGIII is finishing drives. Defense will continue to be the problem in DC for the forseeable future. London Fletcher is 38 years old, and the D runs through him, they also have a very weak secondary.

He has a window here, not quite like the one in Denver, but the league is more balanced now. It won't take long for that window to close though, just like it did here.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #78
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
I can't believe the passion in which Shanahan is being defended in Washington. Personally I have found it strange listening to the Washington fan base start sounding just like we did after a while. They got there a little faster, but of course Shanahan started his career in Denver with his best seasons, he earned patience. He has earned no such thing in DC, people don't (and shouldn't) care what he did here. The reality here is that Shanahan has a record of 14-25, and his time has been littered with confusing decisions. No one is calling for him to be fired, but they are starting to rightfully question some of the decision making. How many coaches last through 3 straight losing seasons, I doubt many. He needs to show real improvement, the only improvement so far is RGIII. Which is great, the kid's a baller. Washington's offense ate up yards last season as well, the difference is RGIII is finishing drives. Defense will continue to be the problem in DC for the forseeable future. London Fletcher is 38 years old, and the D runs through him, they also have a very weak secondary.

He has a window here, not quite like the one in Denver, but the league is more balanced now. It won't take long for that window to close though, just like it did here.

Most Skins fans were against his hiring in the first place and haven't changed.....I think he has a 2 year window to make the playoffs and win a round or two or he's toast. I do like running into him from time to time and mentioning I am a big Denver fan....If you're in the Reston/Ashburn area, he frequents Bonefish and the starbucks by the Skins complex....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #79
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
Most Skins fans were against his hiring in the first place and haven't changed.....I think he has a 2 year window to make the playoffs and win a round or two or he's toast. I do like running into him from time to time and mentioning I am a big Denver fan....If you're in the Reston/Ashburn area, he frequents Bonefish and the starbucks by the Skins complex....
I am out there sometimes actually. Used to run into Redskins over at the Dulles Towne Center all the time. It would be cool to meet the guy and thank him for the years in Denver. I do appreciate the guy, even if I think it was time to move on form him.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #80
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Nah, redskins fans are retarded!

In all seriousness, the fan base here is huge I am sure you know that living in the area and all.

The fan base (especially the middle aged to older fans) are impatient because of the success under Gibbs 1.0 and of course Gibbs 2.0 did a tremendous job with below average QB play.

I guess Patriots, Giants, Eagles, etc. fans are all retarded for expecting to win. Maybe everyone should be like wizards fans and not give a **** and have an embarrassing franchise.

Snyder is the main culprit, but shanny has a lot to prove since the post elway era.

We will see what happens, but it's no coincidence IMO that the grumblings here are now the same as what they were in Denver towards the end of his time there.

Playoffs or bust and he has until end of next season to get in...
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #81
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
I am out there sometimes actually. Used to run into Redskins over at the Dulles Towne Center all the time. It would be cool to meet the guy and thank him for the years in Denver. I do appreciate the guy, even if I think it was time to move on form him.
Jackson's at the Reston Town center is a big hang out as well or Maggino's at Tyson's 2.

He's always been nice and cordial with me when I've spoken with him. I don't ask for autographs or pictures just a quick hello and thank you.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #82
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Fun game I was there but it's a divisional matchup and Eli played poorly for 59 minutes.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #83
DENVERDUI55

I love what Shanny did for this franchise and he got us two rings. With that being said I think Kubiak was a major reason for the success in Denver. Even ole wade doesn't get much credit even though he put some important players on the roster.

Last edited by DENVERDUI55; 10-22-2012 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Google auto correct likes talking for me.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #84
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I love what Shabby did for this franchise and he got us two rings. With that being said I think Kubiak was a major reason for the success in Denver. Even ole wade doesn't get much credit even though he put some important players on the roster.
I like pointing this one out....Shanahan only has 1 winning season as a HC or coordinator without Kubiak being on the same team as either a player or coach.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #85
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
I don't know what it is about Skins fans, they are all impatient retards, I see "fire this guy" threads on skins boards all the time after 1 bad game. They have absolutely no perspective.
I'm not sure how this is any different than most fan bases. The Eagles and Giants fans in particular are basically the same. Shanahan took over and went 6-10 and then 5-11, and put them throught the McNabb fiasco. That's not good enough for a fan base that's used to winning.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #86
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
What is with the personal attacks? Is he your dad?

How am I crying? I said that they are scary good if they had any sort of semi competent defense aka just AVERAGE. You don't win when you have ****ing josh wilson, madieu williams, reed doughty and hall as your secondary. That's just horrible.

Shanahan messed it all up in Denver as well.

At least really follow teams before you go on personal attacks. I am not doubting that you follow the broncos, but you don't know jack **** about the redskins, so please STFU or don't attack others.

The only thing shanahan does well is draft Running Backs, i.e., Alfred Morris. That's it. if you want another thing he does well, he scripts the initial game plan of plays pretty well hence his "offensive" genius moniker, but he cannot adjust to save his life.

He can thank the class 49ers of the montana/young years, Elway and Terrel Davis for all his "prestige."

I have nothing against shanahan the man. I just don't think he is all he has been cracked up to be and unlike you, I have followed him for a while now because I actually follow the Broncos AND Redskins. So please, spare me with the bull **** and personal attacks.
This. Excellent assessment. Don't mind SoCal, he's a major Shanahan fan and still mourning his loss.

Most of us who are glad Shanahan is gone did not hate him. For me it was more disgust for his stubborness in his GM abilities, the inability to recognize his ineptness. His focus was too lopsided to the offense and he threw garbage at the defense. He went through defensive coordinators like a kid with their halloween bag. I loved the 2 SB's, although much can be put on the shoulders of Elway, and the team Shanahan put together for those 2. After that he tried to too hard to show he could survive without Elway, where if he'd just built a team like he did in those years he probably would have been fine. And if Kubiak had stayed. There was an offensive mind who has shown he knows he needs a D. I got tired of being greatful for mediocrity.

He's got a great QB now, hopefully he remembers those great QB's need a team around them, not just offense. His first draft, first pick was offense, second was McNabb, third was a DE with a torn ACL that is no longer on the team, the rest offense. 2nd draft, first two picks were D, neither of which are anything to write home to mom about (no Kerrigan isn't). The 2012 draft, out of the first 7 six were offensive players. He seems to be on the same trend. Since taking over the Redskins the defense has steadily declined to 28th in pts, except for yards last year they were 13th. I'm just glad he's gone and the direction the Broncos are headed.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #87
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I never cease to be blown away by the perspective here
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #88
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Meh, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Shanny is his own worst enemy. If the Skins had any kind of a defense they'd be in the playoffs this year with RGIII and that patented running game. But don't count on it. Shanny and defense just do not mix.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #89
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonite View Post
I'm going to wait until Lonestar weighs in on this before i make up my mind.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #90
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Meh, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Shanny is his own worst enemy. If the Skins had any kind of a defense they'd be in the playoffs this year with RGIII and that patented running game. But don't count on it. Shanny and defense just do not mix.
NFL head coaches and MASH units don't mix....

the skins are going to run out of decent players before the post season.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #91
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
No, he didn't mess it all up in Denver. Try coaching with one hand tied behind your back and fans screaming at your for finishing 16th when you are spending at 22nd. He put together a wonderful collection of talent for his offense and all he had to do was devote the offseason resoruces to getting the defense up to par. He did it before, in 2005, so he could definitely get it done and our moron of an owner blew it up because he didnt like getting called out by a Paige article. And Washington with Orakpo and Carriker would be fine, defensively. Actually, right before Orakpo went down in the Rams game they were doing very well and but for the 4th quarter at NO, they were doing pretty decent defensively.

Jim Zorn left a mess behind and he's cleaned it up. He did place a bit too much faith in his ability to squeeze blood from a stone in Grossman and Beck, although for awhile they played well, but he parlayed it and make a big gamble to get RG3 who could be a HOF talent. He's put together a really nice combo of his own scheme and Baylor stuff to make the offense hard to contain.

Where would Washington be without RG3? Without Ryan Kerrigan? Without good young WRs like Aldrick Robinson and Leonard Hankerson? If Shanny is really that bad, then you should be NOT only in favor of getting rid of him, but also EVERY SINGLE ONE of the guys he brought there. Surely you dont want the Shanny stink there any longer, yes? Say bye to your franchise QB? Ready to adopt that position?

That's what I thought. Be grateful for what you have.
WHat will you say as Snyder spends for a winner and Shanny doesn't perform? If he doesn't change, He will be San Diego Chargers, Fouts lead team for the Redskins. Keep pumping the offense and not having a defense good enough to sustain the lead. He isn't going to be around long if they don't win this year or next. Stop the excuses if he doesn't do anything this season.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #92
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
NFL head coaches and MASH units don't mix....

the skins are going to run out of decent players before the post season.
Sorry, homey don't play that. Injuries are simply not an excuse, especially when you have a great QB. The Patriots in 2003 were a MASH unit but they still won the SB.

Shanny cannot use this as an excuse because every team has injuries. His defense will fail him. That is almost a 100% guarantee. You can take that to the bank.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #93
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Sorry, homey don't play that. Injuries are simply not an excuse, especially when you have a great QB. The Patriots in 2003 were a MASH unit but they still won the SB.

Shanny cannot use this as an excuse because every team has injuries. His defense will fail him. That is almost a 100% guarantee. You can take that to the bank.
shanny doesn't make any excuses, but I will for him. IMO he's earned it.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #94
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
yes, there are many Shanny apologists round these parts. I at least try to be as objective as possible. I give Shanny credit where credit is due and I hold him accountable when he makes mistakes. Fact is, he is great with QBs and offenses and simply lousy with defense. You can't win championships without both.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #95
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
earned it? For what, something that got him two superbowls in 1998 and 99? He hasn't won since 2005. The Broncos finally let him go because he couldn't bank on his past. Why would a brand new team give him even close to the same respect as he earned in Denver? He hasn't earned anything from the Redskins accept the chance. He is in his 3rd year of that chance. If he improves the team and is upticking, he gets one more year. Contrary to SoCal and others here, he wasn't upticking in Denver...for three long years.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #96
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Looks like they may have one player who will end up being on par with the likes of Elway, TD, Sharpe, Rod Smith, and Atwater. Here's hoping for four more...
13 out of 32 teams is pretty good.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #97
Bacchus

Quote:
yes, there are many Shanny apologists round these parts. I at least try to be as objective as possible. I give Shanny credit where credit is due and I hold him accountable when he makes mistakes. Fact is, he is great with QBs and offenses and simply lousy with defense. You can't win championships without both.
really, looking through this thread it seems there are many Shanahan haters.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #98
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
really, looking through this thread it seems there are many Shanahan haters.
I am not a hater at all, I appreciate the job he did here and am thankful for 2 championships. That being said, DC does not feel all warm and cozy with him as most of the Broncos fan base.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #99
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
I am not a hater at all, I appreciate the job he did here and am thankful for 2 championships. That being said, DC does not feel all warm and cozy with him as most of the Broncos fan base.
yeah I can understand that. I have a found memory of Shanny and I want to see him do well as with Kubes. It just seems people here are happy when he loses and I cannot understand that.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #100
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

let us please keep in mind that the Redskins started 3-1 last year (including 2 TD win over NY), were 3-4 in week seven as well and ended at 5-11.