The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #51
Meck77

CaliJohn...

Just called Costco. They carry only Choice and Prime grade. Choice Top Sirloin is only $3.48 lb. That's even less than I paid but I did go through a local source I trust more. However, I've never had an issue with Costco meat.

It will be interesting to bump this thread 6 months or a year from now.

Get your grill on!
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #52
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Without going through all replies, I enjoy Boneys and Yazoos. Both downtown, I go to either spot for lunch with coworkers occasionally.
Yazoo's is terrific, but I've not been to Boneys.

I'll vote again for Brothers, which does everything very well, especially for a chain. They've got that **** dialed in.

And of course, if you're ever in Steamboat there are two good BBQ places there, too: Double Z's and Steamboat Smokehouse. Double Z's is a cash-only place with DECENT BBQ but an excellent burger (Z-burger, with hot link and cheddar and BBQ sauce over the top), and the Smokehouse does awesome ribs.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #53
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Country Time BBQ

2504 West Hampden Avenue Englewood, CO 80110
(720) 404-1916

Voted Best BBQ in Denver Westword 2012

The owner, Lawrence Barkers hickory smokes his BBQ daily. The pile of hickory is out back.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #54
bronco_diesel
giddy-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
I just have trouble starting threads sometimes so I usually just bump.

Oh and don't get fooled just by cheap prices.

There are three grades of meat.

Select, choice, and prime. Be sure it says USDA also.

There is a HUGE difference between select and choice. Go with Choice if you can afford it. It's not much more expensive. If you do buy select at least buy the best cut you can. For example. A local grocery store just had Beef tenderloin for $6.99 lb. That is a damn good deal. I haven't check sams or costco lately and off the top of my head not sure what grade they carry.

An example of what I tossed in my freezer recently. 25lbs of Choice Top sirloin. $4.00 lbs. That is 25 lbs for $100 dang dollars. A good steak dinner for 4 people at any steak house will cost you that! 25lbs is 400 ounces of steak. 8 ounce portions would be 50 steak dinners or just $2.00 per steak. A ****ty package of mystery meat hot dogs is a couple bucks!

The three grades of beef are.

Quality Grades:
Prime grade is produced from young, well-fed beef cattle. It has abundant marbling and is generally sold in restaurants and hotels. Prime roasts and steaks are excellent for dry-heat cooking (broiling, roasting, or grilling).

Choice grade is high quality, but has less marbling than Prime. Choice roasts and steaks from the loin and rib will be very tender, juicy, and flavorful and are, like Prime, suited to dry-heat cooking. Many of the less tender cuts, such as those from the rump, round, and blade chuck, can also be cooked with dry heat if not overcooked. Such cuts will be most tender if "braised" roasted, or simmered with a small amount of liquid in a tightly covered pan.

Select grade is very uniform in quality and normally leaner than the higher grades. It is fairly tender, but, because it has less marbling, it may lack some of the juiciness and flavor of the higher grades. Only the tender cuts (loin, rib, sirloin) should be cooked with dry heat. Other cuts should be marinated before cooking or braised to obtain maximum tenderness and flavor.

Standard and Commercial grades are frequently sold as ungraded or as "store brand" meat.

Utility, Cutter, and Canner grades are seldom, if ever, sold at retail but are used instead to make ground beef and processed products.

Regardless it won't hurt your family to stock up what you can fit in your freezer. Would also recommend buying a food saver if you don't have one. It allows you to vacuum seal food just like the professionals do. Will add months if not a year to the quality of your food.

http://www.foodsaver.com/Index.aspx?...FYhxQgod0hUAcA

Stand alone freezers are great to have if you don't have one obviously.

Hold the hot dogs. Get yourselves some choice sirloin now!

You are what you eat!
Meck, you should look into a full or half-cow purchase. I purchased a half-cow this summer and oh-man, the meat is top quality. There is a noticeable difference in taste and quality.

It is a big one-time hit in expense, but totally worth it. I have beef for a good 1-2 years.
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #55
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Lev's house. I will never pay for ribs again.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #56
bombay
Ring of Famer

M & D's was the best BBQ in Denver, but it's gone.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #57
manchambo
Ring of Famer

If you work downtown, Boney's is pretty good.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #58
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco_diesel View Post
Meck, you should look into a full or half-cow purchase. I purchased a half-cow this summer and oh-man, the meat is top quality. There is a noticeable difference in taste and quality.

It is a big one-time hit in expense, but totally worth it. I have beef for a good 1-2 years.
I hear ya. Mine came straight from the source. I'm actually taking on an angus or two this winter to fatten up. Costco does provide some decent meat though. Today's price. Choice NY was only $5.79. Tenderloin $10.79.

Having tailgated with many of you over the years just wanted to bring some awareness to the upcoming beef price spike. It is coming.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #59
Meck77

BUMP!

Hope some of you listened. Food across the board could be going up between 5-20%. Restaurants are the first ones to feel the ripple effect.

BUSINESS
Drought is leading restaurants to raise prices, cut portions
POSTED: 10/21/2012 12:01:00 AM MDTBy Tiffany Hsu
Los Angeles Times
LOS ANGELES — Smokin' Jonny's BBQ opened less than a year ago, but pricey corn on the cob has already disappeared from the menu.

Rising beef prices are causing owner Jon Sekiguchi headaches as well. His Gardena, Calif., restaurant sells beef ribs only on the weekends, when customers are more willing to splurge. And he's struggling to find affordable beef sausage for his $6.95 smoked-sausage sandwich.

Scorching weather this past summer in the Midwest left crops parched and livestock famished. Restaurants, already struggling with high fuel costs and a sluggish economy, are starting to feel the pinch of higher food costs.

"It's a tough one," Sekiguchi sighed. "I didn't want to sell corn for $3 when I used to charge $1.50. And it used to be better quality, too."

Continued

http://www.denverpost.com/business/c...s-cut-portions

http://investorplace.com/2012/10/dro...spike-in-2013/

Last edited by Meck77; 10-21-2012 at 07:45 AM..
Old 10-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #60
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Thanks for all of the info in the thread Meck, very helpful!

Anyone tried the BBQ on south parker road? There are two places. One is called Big Jims... Its a big ol southern boy selling it out of a portable trailer, about a mile south of Lincoln ave on Parker. From what I've heard, it's some of the best in Denver. The other place, right up the street, is Hickory House. Been there twice for work appreciation parties, and both times, i was impressed witb their ribs.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #61
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Went to Jack Stack Barbeque in the plaza in KC yesterday for lunch

Rob Riggle was there standing in line right behind our group

Best I have ever had though is the gas station place in KC(Oklahoma Joe's)

Small line and a short wait at Jack Stack which is very good

Line at the gas station around that time was out the door and wrapping around the building
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #62
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
Went to Jack Stack Barbeque in the plaza in KC yesterday for lunch

Rob Riggle was there standing in line right behind our group

Best I have ever had though is the gas station place in KC(Oklahoma Joe's)

Small line and a short wait at Jack Stack which is very good

Line at the gas station around that time was out the door and wrapping around the building
Name of thread "Best BBQ in Denver......"
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #63
d bronx42
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
5090 E Arapahoe Rd. West of Holly, N of Dry Creek. Give it a try, the guy was a Baltimore Colt OL for a few years, has some nice pictures to look at while you're waiting for your order.
I am 22 now and have been eating at Winston's since I was 6 years old. Hands down the best BBQ you'll find in Denver. He actually makes your food fresh. Usually takes about 15 minutes to get your meal. Love that place. Huge secret most people don't know about.
d bronx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #64
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Name of thread "Best BBQ in Denver......"
I know but KC barbeque is better

and I was sharing my Rob Riggle sighting
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote