The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #51
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
Franklin was being cute...he didn't instinctively react to a defensive player, which is what the rule is intended to address, rather he saw the defender encroach, then get back behind the LOS, and THEN Franklin tried to move and blame the defender

the refs rightly saw right through it.
Defender was still in the neutral zone when Franklin moved (I've watched this at least 10 times). I suppose you could argue the defender never fully moved into the neutral zone, but it sure looked like it to me.

Hell the guy was apologizing to the sidelines before they made the call.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #52
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Defender was still in the neutral zone when Franklin moved (I've watched this at least 10 times). I suppose you could argue the defender never fully moved into the neutral zone, but it sure looked like it to me.

Hell the guy was apologizing to the sidelines before they made the call.
I haven't rewatched the game, so i believe you that he was in the neutral zone, but he was moving backwards by my recollection, when Franklin sat up and pointed...it looked pretty obvious to me that Franklin had waited far too long to move and still have a legitimate claim that he was "reacting"

But, if you are right that defender was in the neutral zone, but moving backwards, with no player contact, and a OL moves before the snap ( but not as an immediate reaction to defend himself), then according to my reading of the rules (pasted below) there are two offsetting penalties, both a neutral zone infraction and a false start. This, of course, is nothing I've ever seen before.

(b) a defender enters the neutral zone prior to the snap, causing the offensive player(s) in close proximity (including a
quarterback who is under center) to react (move) immediately to protect himself (themselves) against impending
contact; officials are to blow their whistles immediately. If there is no immediate reaction by the offensive player(s) in
close proximity, and the defensive player returns to a legal position prior to the snap without contacting an opponent,
there is no foul
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #53
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I would argue that not only does Jim Leonhard throw a block that means the Charger gunner can't stop in time but also Holiday is too far back and the muff is not caused by the incidental contact. It is a judgement call, but I can't imagine a lot of refs would throw the rag in that situation.

If Holiday moves up one more step so he gets in range to make the catch then I think the call might be appropriate as he does have right of way and would be blocked by the Charger, but as it stands I think the refs were right in judging that the muff was caused by him being too far back to secure the ball.
Fox said on Sirius radio that it was not entirely Holiday's fault and that a Denver player blocked the SD player into him. Fox also said Holiday would certainly get another chance.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:24 AM   #54
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
google Jeff Triplet...seriously, **** that guy
This X 1000. I hate seeing him at Broncos games. He is horrendous.