The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #26
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Mays will be on the team for this season. All $4m is guaranteed right, so why cut the guy if you still have to pay him? And no other team is going to trade for him unless the Broncos eat a significant portion of his contract. So basically he is back to where he was when he played for the Eagles, a backup MLBer.

I think the Broncos just really like Mays and wanted to give him a shot at being the starting MLB but they now realize he's just too much of a one dimensional player. Perhaps Fox thought that Del Rio could get more out of him or something? Maybe Del Rio just really liked Mays and wanted to see if he could be the guy, who knows? That being said the Broncos are really in a curious situation at LBer as Williams is AWOL/WTF?, Mays is benched, Miller is basically on the LOS all the time, Woodyard is ok but can't cover in space, Trevathan is a rookie, Brooking is older than dirt, and Irving is still an unknown. It's simply wierd that the Broncos didn't make LBer more of a priority on the off season.

The Broncos either need to have 4 guys on the LOS that can get consistent pressure on the QB so it frees up Miller to play more of a traditional SLB position, or they need to make LBer a priority in the offseason. I'd prefer they do both but we shall see. Heck, the secondary still needs work too.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #27
phibacka31
Ring of Famer

Leggo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2014 Draft Pick

I understand he hasn't been able to beat out Joe Mays, but I still think Nate Irving has a chance to be pretty good. He has gotten big and plays pretty nasty... Wouldn't mind seeing him get a crack at MLB...
phibacka31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #28
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Does anyone have a gif of Joe Mays staring into space like Hannibal Lecter just ate his prefrontal cortex?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #29
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Of course he is still part of the plan....Mays has absolute value on the team, he is just limited in what he can do. He isn't a player worth hating, even if he is one you don't want starting.
Exactly. The hate is coming because he is thrown in as a starter when he clearly has no business being there. It isn't like he is a top draft pick and is considered a bust because of it. He is a guy that might do well in special teams and be a back up to the back up. His problem is reading coverage and he can't cover. Mike is not his position. If he doesn't improve, he won't be on the roster.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #30
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Does anyone have a gif of Joe Mays staring into space like Hannibal Lecter just ate his prefrontal cortex?
I felt bad for him when they showed him on the sideline during the game.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #31
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
He would have felt worse if he was allowed to play and his directing the players would have guaranteed a loss for our team. Best he stayed on the sideline and learned by watching.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #32
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Karlos Dansby

Quote:
Originally Posted by phibacka31 View Post
I understand he hasn't been able to beat out Joe Mays, but I still think Nate Irving has a chance to be pretty good. He has gotten big and plays pretty nasty... Wouldn't mind seeing him get a crack at MLB...
Credit where credit is due, when Von got dinged and he came in for a play he blew **** up. He's also been really solid on special teams. If he develops as a player, I think he's probably going to be more of a Keith Burns type than a starting caliber MLB though.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #33
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Yeah... I did too... but then I thought what's better Joe Mays being happy or my team winning a mother****ing game?!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #34
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
I didn't ...he's making $4mil and not producing like he should. Special teams could use his big hits. Joe Mays is this team's version of Keith Burns
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #35
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phibacka31 View Post
He had that monster tackle when Von went out on Mon night!
Like a freakin heatseaker!
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #36
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
He had that monster tackle when Von went out on Mon night!
Like a freakin heatseaker!
Haha yeah. He got one play to try and make an impact and made the play.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #37
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

"Evaluating him" is NOT the same as returning him to a starting job. He's good depth...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #38
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Lay off the Idiot Cannonball. Not his fault they made him a starter. Put him back in a reserve role where he belongs and let him come in and destroy RBs a few times a game. Problem solved.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #39
srphoenix
77 rushing touchdowns

The next TD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Lay off the Idiot Cannonball. Not his fault they made him a starter. Put him back in a reserve role where he belongs and let him come in and destroy RBs a few times a game. Problem solved.
This is exactly it. Mays is a great situational run stuffing linebacker, however he is not fast enough in a 4-3 to play in space on passing plays nor to get to the edge to stop stretch runs or tosses.

Irving did have that great backside pursuant tackle, but I'm not sure he is the answer either. We have a borderline great defense and I think a stud MLB could be the last piece of that puzzle.
srphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #40
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Amazing how easily you can take this post and apply it to John Engleberger.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #41
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Any of the safeties we have had in the last 6 years not named John Lynch or Brian Dawkins, Nate Webster, Boss Bailey, Amon Gordon, most of the browncos and quite a few DTs over the last 5 years...
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #42
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Quote:
Originally Posted by srphoenix View Post
This is exactly it. Mays is a great situational run stuffing linebacker, however he is not fast enough in a 4-3 to play in space on passing plays nor to get to the edge to stop stretch runs or tosses.

Irving did have that great backside pursuant tackle, but I'm not sure he is the answer either. We have a borderline great defense and I think a stud MLB could be the last piece of that puzzle.
Maybe if the situation involves the other team only using the A gaps in the run game

the good thing about Brooking is he is too slow to overrun plays
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #43
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
JFC do you have to get Popps started on that guy?
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #44
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
This year he has six stops, the worst Run Stop Percentage among qualifying middle linebackers, and an amazingly low nine solo tackles against the run. With the success he has had in the past, one can only expect Mays’ stats to get better as the season goes on.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...e-linebackers/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #45
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Jesus christ I had no idea Mays was 27. I had thought he was early 30's.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #46
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Be careful Joe Mays dad may be on the site. If you say anything negative about a player whose dad is on the board you have to go be a Chiefs fan.

Signed KUPESDAD
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #47
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

What else do you expect them to say, he's done in Denver. They're paying the guy why would you want to kill any value or possibly get him disgruntled. Honestly, I don't even see the reason for this post. It's not even a relevant topic. He's a guy on the team, who doesn't start anymore and everybody in the world knows why and the team would not come out with any kind of statement about any player on the team saying they're not happy with them and they have no future with the team, not in the middle of the season. WTF do you expect to hear?
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #48
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Be careful Joe Mays dad may be on the site. If you say anything negative about a player whose dad is on the board you have to go be a Chiefs fan.

Signed KUPESDAD
What a stupid post. Didn't you say Kuper sucked or he wouldn't start on other teams or some such nonsense? Then you're mocking a dad defending his son, especially when your point was idiotic.

Quit being a dick.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #49
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

We certainly could have been more aggressive looking for linebackers in free agency (especially with the DJ suspension in the works), but i'm not sure there was a ton of top flight talent available in the 2012 draft.

I guess the biggest head scratcher is that we did spend "starter money" on Mays when other options were still on the table. Oh well, this team is still developing. It will be interesting to see how the LB corps changes over the remainder of the season. Lots of season left to play, and the young guys are finally starting to produce.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #50
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
What a stupid post. Didn't you say Kuper sucked or he wouldn't start on other teams or some such nonsense? Then you're mocking a dad defending his son, especially when your point was idiotic.

Quit being a dick.
No I said the interior oline stinks, except for maybe kuper when he is healthy, which isn't often is seems lately. Or something like that. So what you are saying is because his dad is on the site he is off limits to critique more then some other player on the board? That seems ludicrous to me. I called him out on saying i never say anything positive then making a personal insult about how my life must be, then saying for me to be a Chiefs fan. Which i find amusing because if his kid went to another team he would follow him.

I never said he sucked but in another thread awhile ago I argued he was not a top 15 or 20 guard or something like that. He would start for some teams and not others, but I stand by the opinion I don't think he is a great player. I never said he sucked though.

Like I said before though if Morenos dad shows up is he off limits then also? Its not fair to call me out just because I said something about someones kid who plays football. He should have a thicker skin then that. Not like I gave him some disparging nickname like slowshon or methwolfe lol. Whatever he is a decent gaurd when hes healthy but we need bigtime help on the interior of our oline.

I will go along with he is better then Koppen, Blake, Rameriz, and Beadles.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote