The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #1
Lycan
Omelette Dreamer
 
Lycan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,640
Default Terrible News

Despite losing his starting job, Broncos linebacker Joe Mays remains in the team's future plans.

Despite being replaced by veteran Keith Brooking in Monday Night's 35-24 win over the San Diego Chargers, head coach John Fox insists that he and the organization "haven't give up" on the 27-year-old from North Dakota State. Whether the move to Brooking as the starter is permanent remains to be seen, but the team appears confident that Mays will be part of their future, saying they will "evaluate him moving forward."

http://denver.sbnation.com/2012/10/1...-2012-john-fox

Thoughts? Here are mine:

Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 04:12 AM   #2
Tim
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Part of the team as a backup, I hope.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:51 AM   #3
go_broncos
Ring of Famer
 
49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,802

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
Despite losing his starting job, Broncos linebacker Joe Mays remains in the team's future plans.

Despite being replaced by veteran Keith Brooking in Monday Night's 35-24 win over the San Diego Chargers, head coach John Fox insists that he and the organization "haven't give up" on the 27-year-old from North Dakota State. Whether the move to Brooking as the starter is permanent remains to be seen, but the team appears confident that Mays will be part of their future, saying they will "evaluate him moving forward."

http://denver.sbnation.com/2012/10/1...-2012-john-fox

Thoughts? Here are mine:

Good thing is they accepted the mistake and didn't start him.
They can evaluate him...but, he is not going to change.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,463

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

He can be valuable situationally... we just need the appropriate depth to KEEP him where he's an asset and not a liability... like how Nolan handled Dawkins in 09.

(no, I'm not comparing Mays and Dawkins, calm down. I'm comparing situational impact)
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #5
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,086
Default

This is one of the reasons why I like John Fox's coaching style.

He's not blaming the guy publicly, he's not promising to start him or bench him permanently, he's just promising to continue to evaluate him.

In other words, "Show me you can play better Joe Mays!"

I'll take that any day over "We're just trying to win a m*******g game!!"
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #6
chrisp
Friend of the unsung
 
chrisp's Avatar
 
Not into the football......yet

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London UK
Posts: 1,336

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan
Default

Didn't they say something not-dissimilar about tebow shortly before they traded him?

Bottom line is you don't trash a player untill you have their replacement lined up - you may find you need them whether you like it or not. How many times has ANY team ever said "we're benching him becuase we think he sucks and he really has no future with the team"??

We did invest some dollars in the guy so we may be wanting to try to maintain trade value - not sure what the cap hit is if we cut him in the offseason. Plus I also think the Coaches really were enamoured of his brutal hitting and felt he would be an intimidating presence in the middle of the field. Its become clear however that this can't cover up his inadequacies.

he may have a future in goal-line packages and the like. He does have some value but probably not as a starter anywhere anymore...
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:11 AM   #7
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,893
Default

Of course he is still part of the plan....Mays has absolute value on the team, he is just limited in what he can do. He isn't a player worth hating, even if he is one you don't want starting.
2KBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #8
Lycan
Omelette Dreamer
 
Lycan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,640
Default

All I know is I never want to hear the words "Joe Mays in coverage" again.

Last edited by Lycan; 10-17-2012 at 05:58 AM..
Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer
 
maher_tyler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,338

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
Didn't they say something not-dissimilar about tebow shortly before they traded him?

Bottom line is you don't trash a player untill you have their replacement lined up - you may find you need them whether you like it or not. How many times has ANY team ever said "we're benching him becuase we think he sucks and he really has no future with the team"??

We did invest some dollars in the guy so we may be wanting to try to maintain trade value - not sure what the cap hit is if we cut him in the offseason. Plus I also think the Coaches really were enamoured of his brutal hitting and felt he would be an intimidating presence in the middle of the field. Its become clear however that this can't cover up his inadequacies.

he may have a future in goal-line packages and the like. He does have some value but probably not as a starter anywhere anymore...
He should have never started in the first place. He was terrible last year yet we brought in zero. He is good in Special Teams and in a back up roll. Glad they finally realized he isn't as good as they thought he was.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #10
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

He can be part of the teams plans as a ST player and a backup LB.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #11
LRtagger
Ring of Famer
 
LRtagger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,808

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Probably should have evaluated how bad he sucked last year before giving him a huge extension

was just about to change my avatar too. Guess I need to leave it up.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #12
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,751

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Honestly he missed some special teams tackles. This reads like one of those cursed "votes of confidence" that end up showing the guy cut or fired a few weeks later. I'm not sayin Mays is getting cut, but "he's in our plans" and "will be evaluated going forward" doesn't mean he's going to play again anytime soon.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #13
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,738

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy
Default

Man I was worried that Moreno was going to be activated when I saw the headline. That had me going...
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #14
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,745

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Honestly he missed some special teams tackles. This reads like one of those cursed "votes of confidence" that end up showing the guy cut or fired a few weeks later. I'm not sayin Mays is getting cut, but "he's in our plans" and "will be evaluated going forward" doesn't mean he's going to play again anytime soon.
He really did miss ST tackles? Oh goodness, I only rewatched/enjoyed the 2nd half and never paid attention to Mays.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #15
go_broncos
Ring of Famer
 
49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,802

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Man I was worried that Moreno was going to be activated when I saw the headline. That had me going...
Moreno should play against chiefs.
he plays well against them.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #16
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,738

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
Moreno should play against chiefs.
he plays well against them.
I like your deadpan humor.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #17
go_broncos
Ring of Famer
 
49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,802

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I like your deadpan humor.
These are his stats against KC:

ATT Yards
------ ------
21 86
14 50
22 106
23 161
4 52 -- He was hurt and couldn't complete the game
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #18
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 25,122
Default

I don't know what the big deal is. This is still the same Joe Mays that missed tackles in 2010 and 2011. Unfortunately, his replacement isn't on the Broncos roster.....yet.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #19
Nwp-Apap
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

One piece.. Great stuff, but the manga is better
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #20
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,738

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy
Default

Joe Mays is like a scud missile. Designed to blow things up from a distance using a guidence system based upon random chance.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #21
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,613

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

there is no plan b
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #22
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,339

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Part of the team as a backup, I hope.

Can he return kicks?
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #23
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,962
Default

Coincidence the defense's two best performances came when he wasn't a part of it?
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #24
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,647

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Don't EVER put terrible news as the subject headline. I thought someone was hurt. Blood pressure pill time.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #25
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,509

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
He can be valuable situationally... we just need the appropriate depth to KEEP him where he's an asset and not a liability... like how Nolan handled Dawkins in 09.

(no, I'm not comparing Mays and Dawkins, calm down. I'm comparing situational impact)
Absolutely he remains valuable situationally. Good teams have situational players like Joe Mays on their teams. They just don't use them on the 45-yard-line as two or three down Mikes He's useful Firing the A gap on 4th and Goal, thumping people on special teams etc.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Denver Broncos