The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #26
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
Hillman is quicker to the hole and better in space. McGahee gets more yards after contact. If they continue to attempt to run the ball down the opponents throat, McGahee makes sense. I really want to see Hillman out there for a quick draw on second down though.
Hilman was blocking well, too. He could be dangerous on the draw.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #27
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

He ran hard and physical but he definitely looked slow especially on that screen in the first half. If that would have been Hillman he would have taken it to the house!
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #28
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

McGahee is fine. He ran hard and they really sniffed out and stuffed the run in the first half. The play calling was not real subtle early on.

I'm very very excited to see some more Hillman action though.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #29
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

On a side note (and I like to toot my own horn) David Wilson, the RB I proposed the Broncos really wanted but did not get and instead settled for Hillman, David Wilson looks FANTASTIC. He's killing it.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #30
Action

San Diego is the 3rd best run defense in the league.

5th best in YPC.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #31
Karenin
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

McGahee is garbage. We need a real RB.
Karenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #32
fwf

I have a feeling he's going to look better after the bye.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #33
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenin View Post
McGahee is garbage. We need a real RB.
He's not garbage at all, he's just not explosively fast. He's a great RB for what he does, pound the ball, get tough yards, goaline scoring, that type of stuff. However he doesn't have the speed the Broncos desperately need at RB. Hopefully Hillman will develop.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #34
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
On a side note (and I like to toot my own horn) David Wilson, the RB I proposed the Broncos really wanted but did not get and instead settled for Hillman, David Wilson looks FANTASTIC. He's killing it.
I think KILLING it is a bit of an exaggeration. He has less than 100 rush yards on the season so far. He did have 1 breakaway run, which is nice, but aside from that he's averaging a little over 3 yards per carry. He also lost a fumble within his first 5 carries.

Will he be good, maybe...but he isn't killing it
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #35
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
I think KILLING it is a bit of an exaggeration. He has less than 100 rush yards on the season so far. He did have 1 breakaway run, which is nice, but aside from that he's averaging a little over 3 yards per carry. He also lost a fumble within his first 5 carries.

Will he be good, maybe...but he isn't killing it
He also has either a punt return or a kick off return for a TD so he's helping their special teams too. If you watch this TD it's pretty amazing, he's lighting quick and explosively fast.

correction, it was not for a TD but it was still pretty good stuff.

Last edited by Tombstone RJ; 10-16-2012 at 01:14 PM..
Old 10-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #36
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
He also has either a punt return or a kick off return for a TD so he's helping their special teams too. If you watch this TD it's pretty amazing, he's lighting quick and explosively fast.
He had a long return, but not a scoring one. Oh he has the quicks, I'm not arguing that, it's just too early to say killing it. He's still 3rd string at the moment.

I don't know where you fall on the discussion, but David Wilson is a 1st round RB playing 3rd string with 15 total carries at this point. Moreno had out produced Wilson by his second game and that guy is public enemy #1.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #37
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
He had a long return, but not a scoring one. Oh he has the quicks, I'm not arguing that, it's just too early to say killing it. He's still 3rd string at the moment.

I don't know where you fall on the discussion, but David Wilson is a 1st round RB playing 3rd string with 15 total carries at this point. Moreno had out produced Wilson by his second game and that guy is public enemy #1.
yah, he didn't have a TD but it was a 66 yard return. He definitely could have really helped the Broncos because of his special teams ability and then his RB ability too. As far as I know Hillman has not been asked to field punts or kickoffs.

The Giants aren't exactly hurting at RB either.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #38
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
yah, he didn't have a TD but it was a 66 yard return. He definitely could have really helped the Broncos because of his special teams ability and then his RB ability too. As far as I know Hillman has not been asked to field punts or kickoffs.

The Giants aren't exactly hurting at RB either.
No they aren't which makes me wonder why they went with Wilson. No offense to him, I just don't think 1sty round RB's are a good investment. I've argued for Moreno because I think he's talented and he's on our team, but I really don't like early RB's

Hillman has some impressive skills though, I didn't like his size coming out as I gravitate towards RB's around 6 feet 210+ lbs, but I know the kids can play. If we can get a lead and find a little running room, he will break some.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #39
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
No they aren't which makes me wonder why they went with Wilson. No offense to him, I just don't think 1sty round RB's are a good investment. I've argued for Moreno because I think he's talented and he's on our team, but I really don't like early RB's

Hillman has some impressive skills though, I didn't like his size coming out as I gravitate towards RB's around 6 feet 210+ lbs, but I know the kids can play. If we can get a lead and find a little running room, he will break some.
I think the Giants drafted him because he was the best player available at the time? Also, when the Giants got him the value of a late first round pick (#32 pick of the first round) is ok IMHO for a RB, especially if he can help on special teams too.

As for Hillman, I really hope he pans out. I just wish the Broncos would play him a little more. McGahee is going to wear down and I'd think the Broncos would want McGahee healthy later in the year when they are either making a push for the playoffs or in the playoffs. The Broncos really should be playing Hillman NOW.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #40
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwf View Post
i just thought the burst and shiftiness was lacking. from what my eyes saw. if no one else thinks so, then fine, maybe it was just me.. i did have a few banquets.
He looked the same to me. A good player at the end of his days IMO. He never shows great burst anymore. Not like the younger NFL rbs are showing. He gets by being smart and playing hard. Also I would run Hillman before Moreno. I don't see why unless we had Ball, Willis and Hillman infjured to run Moreno ever again.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #41
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
I think the Giants drafted him because he was the best player available at the time? Also, when the Giants got him the value of a late first round pick (#32 pick of the first round) is ok IMHO for a RB, especially if he can help on special teams too.

As for Hillman, I really hope he pans out. I just wish the Broncos would play him a little more. McGahee is going to wear down and I'd think the Broncos would want McGahee healthy later in the year when they are either making a push for the playoffs or in the playoffs. The Broncos really should be playing Hillman NOW.
I have to agree...Willis only has so many more carries in him honestly. He's been a warrior, but he needs rest.

Good news is, another good crop of RB's coming next season.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #42
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I think you're just not understanding the style of run McGahee uses. Unless there is a monster lane or something, you won't see just quick burst from him. He's definitely more of a timing and vision runner. Even on some of 5 yards runs, you see him shift his feet many times. It almost looks like he won't gain any yards and then he ends up with 5 yards. He's not a home run hitter, he's not a burst guy who will hit a small seem and be in and through that small hole super fast. He's more of a daylight runner where he will shift step and feel his way through the LOS. That's not quite the same as somebody who dances. Those types usually waste too much time going side to side and they cut hard. McGahee usues a lit of small step movement and usually it's forward. So it just looks like he could be sluggish but I think it's just more his style of running.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #43
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
I thought atleast- compared to the first few weeks when he looked great. Maybe he's nursing something that we dont know about. I know the OL wasnt helping him out much as far as making lanes, but I still wasnt seeing any burst from out him.
Maybe its time to get Moreno back in the mix and give the guy one last try. Or hopefully if Willis is hurt this by week will make it right.
I think you're a little sauced.....
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #44
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

Lol at some of the replies in this thread. Wow.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #45
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I think you're just not understanding the style of run McGahee uses. Unless there is a monster lane or something, you won't see just quick burst from him. He's definitely more of a timing and vision runner. Even on some of 5 yards runs, you see him shift his feet many times. It almost looks like he won't gain any yards and then he ends up with 5 yards. He's not a home run hitter, he's not a burst guy who will hit a small seem and be in and through that small hole super fast. He's more of a daylight runner where he will shift step and feel his way through the LOS. That's not quite the same as somebody who dances. Those types usually waste too much time going side to side and they cut hard. McGahee usues a lit of small step movement and usually it's forward. So it just looks like he could be sluggish but I think it's just more his style of running.
It was pretty apparent on a couple of those swing passes where he couldn't beat Weddle.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #46
Mile High Salute

Quote:
i just thought the burst and shiftiness was lacking. from what my eyes saw. if no one else thinks so, then fine, maybe it was just me.. i did have a few banquets.
It's just you. It was pretty obvious San Diego was selling out to stop the run in the first half. McGahee and the running game will be fine. We're not asking Willis to win games for us - we just need him to keep defenses honest. I like that he's being used some in the passing game, too. It adds another dimension to our offense.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #47
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

He's a tough guy that's done a ton of good things for this franchise. He had one horrendous game (New England). That being said, he looks to me like a back that's starting to wear down. He's started tapping for a break more and seems to be favoring several minor injuries (shoulder?) Remember, he was brought in to be a complimentary and goal-line back, not the bell-cow. Overall, he's exceeded expectations as far as I'm concerned, but he's not going to hold up being used as a 20, 25 carry back for an entire season. Somebody needs to step up, and that somebody has to be Ronnie Hillman. The good news is Hillman seems to have really progressed nicely as blocker, which means he'll be able to get on the field more and more.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #48
fwf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I think you're a little sauced.....
Well the two guys ahead of Moreno right now arent quite world beaters. Ill admit im grasping at straws, but our options are limited.

Last edited by fwf; 10-16-2012 at 02:41 PM..
Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #49
fwf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post

He looked quicker earlier in the season man. Maybe it was the grass, but he was running like he had weights around his ankles last night and it was very noticeable.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #50
fwf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
It's just you. It was pretty obvious San Diego was selling out to stop the run in the first half. McGahee and the running game will be fine. We're not asking Willis to win games for us - we just need him to keep defenses honest. I like that he's being used some in the passing game, too. It adds another dimension to our offense.
me and about 15 others in this thread.