The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #26
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

If Rivers was a likeable guy, I would have felt sorry for him. As it stands, I think he's a jerk. The false starts may have been bogus, but it mentally rattled him, for the rest of the game...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #27
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBroncos DownUnder View Post
Was I the only person who was scratching their head at some of the calls?

1st quarter-
The Rivers "false start" out of shotgun was a phantom call, even after they explained it ... that false start just was NOT THERE at the time the ref threw his flag.
The Rivers "false start" when he was under center ... again, NOT THERE when the flag was thrown.

4th quarter-
The Decker "touching" the defender flag ... really? Some of the Denver DBs were mugging SD receivers and didn't get flagged.

You can say they "offset" each other, and that it all works out in the end, but should we really be reduced to the ref's flagging plays to "make amends" for prior calls?
The Rivers one's were false starts, IMO. It's a new rule, and while it might not have been called correctly both times, it was still appropriate.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #28
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
I'm thinking not challengeable because of the uncertainty of when the whistle was blown, but you could see early on he had it in the reverse angle.

I also think they missed the SD guy in Holliday's face on the muff because I believe he called a fair catch and that guy was all over him.
Absolutely. It was interference with a fair catch and it's against the rules.

this is why the ref Union fought the NFL on the new contract. The NFL would want to pull a guy like Triplette, who is a mistake machine, but the NFL needs a better training program in place. The refs union wanted no part of it.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #29
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

The holding call on Koppen was bull**** ...as well as the hands to the face call on Von.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #30
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Seems to be a lot of phantom PI (especially offensive PI) among other calls the past couple of weeks. I think the regular refs are still very rusty and are making a bunch of terrible but at least they have control of the game and are moving it at a "normal" pace.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #31
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

No worries, these guys have their union and a big fat new contract so all is well. Nothing to see here, move along.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #32
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Absolutely. It was interference with a fair catch and it's against the rules.

this is why the ref Union fought the NFL on the new contract. The NFL would want to pull a guy like Triplette, who is a mistake machine, but the NFL needs a better training program in place. The refs union wanted no part of it.
That wasn't fair catch interference, the San Diego player didn't touch him, didn't impede his ability to make a catch by blocking his view of the ball and didn't threaten to run him over. Holliday was late getting to the ball and it came down too far in front of him for his short arms to reach it - sadly that was a mistake by a Denver player, not by the refs.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #33
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Not defending Boldin by any means, but they missed him recovering his fumble before the pileup.
On the slow it looked like he had control from one angle, but from the reverse you could see the ball was kind sitting on his side before the Charger came in there are snatched it.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #34
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
The Decker PI call had me all
That **** was a touchdown, right? I didn't see he get touched or go out of bounds.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #35
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
That wasn't fair catch interference, the San Diego player didn't touch him, didn't impede his ability to make a catch by blocking his view of the ball and didn't threaten to run him over. Holliday was late getting to the ball and it came down too far in front of him for his short arms to reach it - sadly that was a mistake by a Denver player, not by the refs.
The rule used to be that you had to give a 2 yard cushion if it is a fair catch....is that no longer the case?
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #36
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
The rule used to be that you had to give a 2 yard cushion if it is a fair catch....is that no longer the case?
It is not. The halo rule is gone as it wasn't called terribly consistently.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #37
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Another one that baffled me: Near the end of the third quarter a Chargers guy makes a move to the line of scrimmage and Franklin (smartly) jumps.

Somehow that was on Franklin.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #38
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Yes he did. Their knees touched at he moved up to catch the ball. Meaning the defender impeded Holi from catching the ball. That's interference with the fair catch. So you're wrong.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #39
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

It's a judgement call, but the digest says this

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/faircatch
Old 10-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #40
canadianbroncosfan

Quote:
Royal initiated the contact on the INT, good no call.

Deckers PI? Someone got paid off

I agree on the 2 Rivers False starts. I thought the shotgun one was a bad call, but he had a pronounced head bob when he was under center.
Maybe it's just my complete bias, but me too. After Tirico read the rule aloud, I have to say I agree with the call. Stupid rule, but right call given the rule.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #41
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonwise View Post
Wasn't that his reaction after a run play was called on 3rd and 8? Quite an odd call.
Yes, this is why on 3rd and 8 99.9% of teams will make a pass there and not run. It's almost always never successful. Horrible play call. You got #18 back there, throw the F'n ball.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #42
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Another one that baffled me: Near the end of the third quarter a Chargers guy makes a move to the line of scrimmage and Franklin (smartly) jumps.

Somehow that was on Franklin.
Franklin was being cute...he didn't instinctively react to a defensive player, which is what the rule is intended to address, rather he saw the defender encroach, then get back behind the LOS, and THEN Franklin tried to move and blame the defender

the refs rightly saw right through it.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #43
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

I saw a segment that had Manning talking into a refs ears for a good 30-40 seconds while he was on the sideline..

Would love to know what he was saying to him..

Almost thought he would get flagged.. That was a very long conversation.. Would love to know if a lip reader could have gotten anything off it..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #44
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
I saw a segment that had Manning talking into a refs ears for a good 30-40 seconds while he was on the sideline..

Would love to know what he was saying to him..

Almost thought he would get flagged.. That was a very long conversation.. Would love to know if a lip reader could have gotten anything off it..
You're over thinking this, he was just selling him a Buick.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #45
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Yes, this is why on 3rd and 8 99.9% of teams will make a pass there and not run. It's almost always never successful. Horrible play call. You got #18 back there, throw the F'n ball.
I honestly thought he audibled into that play. With all the stuff he usually does, who knows for sure if he didn't go the safe route and audible into that play...
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #46
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

If the replacement refs had made those calls it would the number one story on Sports Center.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #47
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Bottom line,

Real refs > replacement refs.
We know. It is like this example:

DJ Williams > Joe Mays

We aren't happy with it but it is fact. Doesnt mean the "greater then" means he/they are great.

BTW, I read the official game thread from the Chargers site and boy they thought we paid off the refs. Funny how you see things with homer glasses on.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #48
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
I don't believe so, especially if the blocker is initiating contact which he did.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #49
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Yes he did. Their knees touched at he moved up to catch the ball. Meaning the defender impeded Holi from catching the ball. That's interference with the fair catch. So you're wrong.
I would argue that not only does Jim Leonhard throw a block that means the Charger gunner can't stop in time but also Holiday is too far back and the muff is not caused by the incidental contact. It is a judgement call, but I can't imagine a lot of refs would throw the rag in that situation.

If Holiday moves up one more step so he gets in range to make the catch then I think the call might be appropriate as he does have right of way and would be blocked by the Charger, but as it stands I think the refs were right in judging that the muff was caused by him being too far back to secure the ball.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #50
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
Franklin was being cute...he didn't instinctively react to a defensive player, which is what the rule is intended to address, rather he saw the defender encroach, then get back behind the LOS, and THEN Franklin tried to move and blame the defender

the refs rightly saw right through it.
This is something offensive linemen are being coached to do now, when you see someone jump into the neutral zone you go as well to get the 5 yards. In that situation Franklin was clearly too slow and got called for the transparent attempt at getting a neutral zone infraction call.