The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #26
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

The steelers are 2-3 who lose on the road by self inflicting mistakes. Sound familiar? They've been badly managed in these games.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #27
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 7,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
you have implied that I am the progeny of multiple fathers that share a single eye.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #28
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
Steelers have been dinged but overall not as tough as in past years.

I wonder if us beating them doesn't mean to much ?

Hope I am wrong and yes we got close to three very good teams but how much of the comebacks were because of prevent defenses ?
It does not matter how tough the Steelers are. Denver won the game. They just need to start winning gmaes and not worry about how tough the team is.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #29
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,336

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
I am just curious though, to see how all the posters who explained away our success last year to not beating teams with winning records, react to the OP's question. I've already seen some expected replies.
We played the 2nd toughest schedule in the NFL last year. Second only to the Giants. The people using that excuse for our success last year have no credibility to begin with.

The fact is, we've got to improve considerably as the season progresses if we're going to have a better year than 2011. We've already shown that we can't beat the top tier teams in the league. If we don't get better by a significant margin that's not going to change when the playoffs roll around (if we get there).
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #30
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,492

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
We played the 2nd toughest schedule in the NFL last year. Second only to the Giants. The people using that excuse for our success last year have no credibility to begin with.

The fact is, we've got to improve considerably as the season progresses if we're going to have a better year than 2011. We've already shown that we can't beat the top tier teams in the league. If we don't get better by a significant margin that's not going to change when the playoffs roll around (if we get there).
8th. I think THIS year is the one projected to be 2nd toughest.

But your point stands. 2011's schedule at the end of season turned out to be the 8th most difficult. 2012's projects to be the 2nd most, but more than likely will turn out to be middle of the pack (floundering Saints, Steelers, etc)
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #31
Heyneck
Ring of Famer
 
Heyneck's Avatar
 
RIP Tripplets!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cali, Colombia
Posts: 2,373

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

actually... they are old at all the wrong places on defense. I told you guys that this years Steelers where a worst team than the one we played last year and got laughed at. That's an old team on defense with serious depth problems.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #32
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
We played the 2nd toughest schedule in the NFL last year. Second only to the Giants. The people using that excuse for our success last year have no credibility to begin with.
Huh? Giants strength of schedule last year ranks 19th. Broncos tied for 3rd with 5 other teams at 133-123

This year the giants have the toughest while broncos are 2nd.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #33
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
actually... they are old at all the wrong places on defense. I told you guys that this years Steelers where a worst team than the one we played last year and got laughed at. That's an old team on defense with serious depth problems.
How exactly does a human grow completely old in 8 months? They were old back in January.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #34
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,336

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
8th. I think THIS year is the one projected to be 2nd toughest.

But your point stands. 2011's schedule at the end of season turned out to be the 8th most difficult. 2012's projects to be the 2nd most, but more than likely will turn out to be middle of the pack (floundering Saints, Steelers, etc)
My bad, but the point does still stand.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #35
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,492

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
My bad, but the point does still stand.
Yeah, just wanted to clarify and support the theme of your post before someone ignorantly corrects it outside of context.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #36
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,336

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Yeah, just wanted to clarify and support the theme of your post before someone ignorantly corrects it outside of context.
And Drunk was a half step behind you.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #37
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
And Drunk was a half step behind you.
I see your point. But I don't see the doom and gloom. They aren't playing their best, but they are better. Self inflicting wounds. Did you predict they would beat the patriots away in October? I didn't. Brady 18-1 at home in October. That's an L back in summer. Houston IMO is the best team in the league. Atlanta was 26-4 at home. They still had a chance even with several TOs and refs.

It's not all that bad. If they continue to blow out bad teams and beat some good ones they'll be in great shape and have plenty of games under their belts to gel. Barring season ending injuries we should see a big difference between their performances now, with performances in December/January.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 10-12-2012 at 09:32 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #38
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,336

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I see your point. But I don't see the doom and gloom. They aren't playing their best, but they are better. Self inflicting wounds. Did you predict they would beat the patriots away in October? I didn't. Brady 18-1 at home in October. That's an L back in summer. Houston IMO is the best team in the league. Atlanta was 26-4 at home. They still had a chance even with several TOs and refs.

It's not all that bad.
It's hardly doom and gloom to admit we can't beat the better teams in the league at this point, it's mere fact.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #39
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
It's hardly doom and gloom to admit we can't beat the better teams in the league at this point, it's mere fact.
100% right about it being fact. Some see fact as doom and gloom. Not saying you personally. Just in general.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #40
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
It's hardly doom and gloom to admit we can't beat the better teams in the league at this point, it's mere fact.
Haven't and Can't are two different things
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #41
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief
 
winstoncup bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NEW YORK CITY, USA
Posts: 5,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Mainly because last year is over and we are only 5 games into the season this year. Pretty worthless observation if you ask me.
Well, I didn't ask you, but since you answered, I'll ask you to decipher for me the point you're trying to make.

Weren't you one of the more vocal critics of last year's team? I know alot of people on here were downright apologetic of last year's success. Supposedly, we didn't beat good teams, and the ones we did were either the worst teams ever, or they were injured, etc. I disagree of course, but if that's someone's opinion, then fine.

What I am talking about is the hypocrisy of these same people, who find it more honorable to lose to good teams this year, than to beat the supposedly bad teams of last year. There's one poster on here who rationalized this by saying:

ATL: Best team in NFL
HOU: Best team in AFC
NE: best home team in the NFL

So if we lose to SD this week, is it because they are the best home team on Monday nights in October?

Last year, we beat the Steelers in the playoffs, but only because they were so injured, or took us lightly. And that's not even taking into account we should have been embarrassed to be there in the first place.

This year, we beat the Steelers without James Harrison, and with them down to only 5 healthy offensive linemen in the second half. They literally would have had to put a TE in there if anyone else got injured. But for some reason, those people that were disgusted by the playoff win last year, had no problem with it this time around. Now, as we see the OP harmlessly putting it out there, we see some of the indignant responses.

This year, a win is a win to these people, whereas last year, a win wasn't really a win because we just happnend to catch teams with bad breaks.

As I posted earlier, no win is easy in the NFL. Even the worst teams in the league get 2-3 wins, and I am sure the teams they beat didn't figure on losing to them, so no win should be sneered at.

But back to your response to me, why is last year, last year? Why is it different this year? We won the division last year. Won a home playoff game, and the sad part of it all, is that this disgusted people. Alot of people couldn't even bring themselves to enjoy the success we had. I'm sure I know why, but I'm not going to start answering for them. So what makes lesser teams this year, better than last year. What makes losing more honorable this year? Because we went down big and only lost by a touchdown? What's so great about that? I'm not too happy about it, but some people are just shrugging their shoulders saying ' eh, what are you gonna do'?

Winning and losing is the same, no matter the year or QB. Losing a game with one QB, is not better than winning a game with another. Sorry, I just don't buy it.
winstoncup bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #42
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 22,835

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Funny how some want to hide out and just label it "a win is a win". Sure, but when we have played 3 TOp tier teams, we have lost. Pitt is below average and Raiders suck eggs. We have beat 2 teams that we should have and lost to 3 that is not considered a surprise. It puts us in the spot to kick some ass now that we don't have to worry as much as the Saints of 2012 compared to 2010/11. You need to beat those team to give the cushion against the Ravens. I never expected a 12 win season but I am thankful teams like the Steelers and Saints are very much down this season. OP is just asking a simple question. Are we as good as we have seen or are we not as good even though we are only 2 and 3?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #43
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,576

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

I'm really not panicking. I think I know where we're at right now and it's going to show with us trouncing teams that are middle of the pack or lower. We're in between that and top tier.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #44
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,243

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
Well, I didn't ask you, but since you answered, I'll ask you to decipher for me the point you're trying to make.

Weren't you one of the more vocal critics of last year's team? I know alot of people on here were downright apologetic of last year's success. Supposedly, we didn't beat good teams, and the ones we did were either the worst teams ever, or they were injured, etc. I disagree of course, but if that's someone's opinion, then fine.

What I am talking about is the hypocrisy of these same people, who find it more honorable to lose to good teams this year, than to beat the supposedly bad teams of last year. There's one poster on here who rationalized this by saying:

ATL: Best team in NFL
HOU: Best team in AFC
NE: best home team in the NFL


So if we lose to SD this week, is it because they are the best home team on Monday nights in October?

Last year, we beat the Steelers in the playoffs, but only because they were so injured, or took us lightly. And that's not even taking into account we should have been embarrassed to be there in the first place.

This year, we beat the Steelers without James Harrison, and with them down to only 5 healthy offensive linemen in the second half. They literally would have had to put a TE in there if anyone else got injured. But for some reason, those people that were disgusted by the playoff win last year, had no problem with it this time around. Now, as we see the OP harmlessly putting it out there, we see some of the indignant responses.

This year, a win is a win to these people, whereas last year, a win wasn't really a win because we just happnend to catch teams with bad breaks.

As I posted earlier, no win is easy in the NFL. Even the worst teams in the league get 2-3 wins, and I am sure the teams they beat didn't figure on losing to them, so no win should be sneered at.

But back to your response to me, why is last year, last year? Why is it different this year? We won the division last year. Won a home playoff game, and the sad part of it all, is that this disgusted people. Alot of people couldn't even bring themselves to enjoy the success we had. I'm sure I know why, but I'm not going to start answering for them. So what makes lesser teams this year, better than last year. What makes losing more honorable this year? Because we went down big and only lost by a touchdown? What's so great about that? I'm not too happy about it, but some people are just shrugging their shoulders saying ' eh, what are you gonna do'?

Winning and losing is the same, no matter the year or QB. Losing a game with one QB, is not better than winning a game with another. Sorry, I just don't buy it.
that was me.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #45
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

My point I'm trying to make? 2011 season is over and overall records are set.

Our 2012 opponents can get better or worse over the next 12 weeks. Lets say Brady and Ryan go down for the year this week and both teams crumble and finish below .500. We went from losing to good teams during a small portion of the season to losing to bad teams according to the finished record. Just like Steelers could get healthier and finish with a winning record. Pretty simple.

San Diego has a winning record going into this week right? If Denver beats them do we get credit for beating a team with a winning record or a .500 team?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #46
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

When the schedule came out I was hoping for 3-3 at the bye and would of been jumping up and down at 4-2. Now we need to finish off San Diego on monday which we are very capable of. Our O is starting to roll and the D needs to improve to a middle of the pack D and force a turnover or two. Now we have proven we can pound bottom feeders and a team at our same level. What we have proved is we can compete with top tier teams we just can't beat them RIGHT NOW. Hopefully we improve as the season rolls on but the farther into the season you get the more important talent is than scheme. That scares me for our defense.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #47
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,243

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

I'll be very happy with 3-3 going into the bye week.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #48
dictionary
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I'll be very happy with 3-3 going into the bye week.
Here, here!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #49
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin
 
broncolife's Avatar
 
Ice and Fire

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 3,781
Default

Come on everyone knows we put Joe Mays in there to counter any injuries other teams have. Its only fair.
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #50
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief
 
winstoncup bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NEW YORK CITY, USA
Posts: 5,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
that was me.
Duly noted!
winstoncup bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:53 AM.


Denver Broncos