The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #76
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Not Really. He made a couple dumb decisions like fielding pints inside the 5, even fair caught one at the 5 I think. But he has incredible speed. 100 meter times in the 10 flat range and as fast as 4.20 in the 40 while at LSU. His size is actually a plus in the return game as he gets lost on the field and is able to hit full speed in only a couple of steps.

Work on his decisions and he could be a Dante Hall type in the return game. He doesn't offer anything other than return abilities though. Really haven't seen him do anything other than return duties in the NFL. In college he was the speed back. Could possibly be used as a end around type on offense.
Thanks B-man. Sounds all good to me.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #77
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

So, Duke gets cut to make room for this guy. But wasn't Duke always INACTIVE on game day?

If we want this little speedster suited up on Sundays......who gets INACTIVATED?
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #78
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
ANY player 'can do something good'. the question is whether the player is worth a damn or not. i defer to elway to determine that but personally do not see anything in his regular season performance against first teamers that would suggest this. the guy made the roster off pre-season performances, which is fair but not indicative of how he might perform with real bullets flying. the record he has during real games is pretty shaky, isn't it?
What did you see from Ihenacho that would suggest this?
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #79
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
So, Duke gets cut to make room for this guy. But wasn't Duke always INACTIVE on game day?

If we want this little speedster suited up on Sundays......who gets INACTIVATED?
Dealers choice of a wealth of crap players?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #80
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

People are aware that there aren't 2nd and 3rd team kick off and punt teams, right?

Because from reading this thread, it doesn't seem like it

There's SOME depth and fluctuation, but... no...
Old 10-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #81
Bacchus

The only reason Denver got him was because they have a worse record than the Indianapolis Colts who also put a claim in on him. See this 2-3 record is already paying off in spades!!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #82
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonite View Post
I'll take "lightning in a bottle" over "sloth in a tar pit" any day of the week.
I'm on board as long as he doesn't fumble the ball. The last thing you want to do is take possessions away from manning for another 5 yards on a punt return.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #83
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Booey View Post
I would honestly try to work him into the offense. He's hilariously fast.
He is probably not much faster than Andre Caldwell.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #84
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I'm on board as long as he doesn't fumble the ball. The last thing you want to do is take possessions away from manning for another 5 yards on a punt return.
I'll take a PR fumble over a rushing/receiving fumble any day.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #85
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
People are aware that there aren't 2nd and 3rd team kick off and punt teams, right?

Because from reading this thread, it doesn't seem like it

There's SOME depth and fluctuation, but... no...

People are aware that the players that get in on special teams while on an 80 man roster are worse than the players that actually make the 53 man roster and play special teams in the regular season, right?

Difference without a distinction, IMO. Whether they have 1st/2nd teamers or not, there are many players who are playing kick coverage that will not make an NFL roster, not to mention the huge gap in intensity for the 'regulars' in preseason. All I'm saying is that this guy did all his damage largely against those guys, not active, regular season rosters. Is that incorrect?

I hope he works out in denver but basically, he's just a guy at this point.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #86
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Not that I don't like it, just think Omar Bolden can do the job.
I want to agree with you but haven't seen much of anything out of Bolden yet that impresses me.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #87
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Dealers choice of a wealth of crap players?

True.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #88
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver

6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Anyone else think this is because the Boltz are once again showing their special teams to be horrid this year?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #89
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
People are aware that the players that get in on special teams while on an 80 man roster are worse than the players that actually make the 53 man roster and play special teams in the regular season, right?

Difference without a distinction, IMO. Whether they have 1st/2nd teamers or not, there are many players who are playing kick coverage that will not make an NFL roster, not to mention the huge gap in intensity for the 'regulars' in preseason. All I'm saying is that this guy did all his damage largely against those guys, not active, regular season rosters. Is that incorrect?

I hope he works out in denver but basically, he's just a guy at this point.
I'm not going to do a ton of work to answer this. But here's a 5 minute effort:

The first play of that highlight video that was posted here is a kickoff return against the panthers.

These are the players whose numbers are clearly visible:

57 - Jordan Senn
41 - Captain Munnerlyn
35 - Mike Tolbert
27 - not currently worn by anyone on the roster
6 - Justin Medlock
81 - Kealoha Pilares

Are those top-line guys? No. (except the kicker). But all but one of them are on the active regular season roster. Presumably these guys are also playing special teams.

If you're going to be a dick about this and assume that every special teams player on the field in a preseason game is a scrub who wouldn't/didn't make the 53 man roster, then when I get home tonight, I'll go watch the tape of this return (rather than a highlight video) and figure out exactly who is on the field. I can then look at a couple of regular season Panthers kickoffs and see how the squads compare.

But I really don't want to waste my time.

At a basic level: are there guys on the field in these plays who didn't make the 53 man roster? Yes. There are multiple people competing for these spots, most of them got to see the field at some point or another. But to say that everyone on pre-season special teams squads is a scrub who couldn't/didn't make the regular season roster is absurd. For most of these guys, their only shot at making the squad is by playing special teams. To say that they are playing with a lesser 'intensity' when they are literally fighting for their livelihoods is either ignorant or intentionally disingenuous.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #90
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I want to agree with you but haven't seen much of anything out of Bolden yet that impresses me.
How many kicks has he had the opportunity to return? Less than 10 I'm sure. Yeah, 9. He averages 21.1 per return, but again I don't think that says much. Hester averaged less than 22 yards per return in a few of his seasons.

The reality is, Kick off returns in Denver have been just about ruined. I don't know why they haven't tried him on punts yet personally.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #91
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Anyone else think this is because the Boltz are once again showing their special teams to be horrid this year?
Couldnt hurt!

I think its a nice opportunity to get a reliable returner who has some ability. There's really little to no risk here.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #92
spiralism

Anyone else think Manning could use him as a Sproles like option out of the backfield too? Would not put it past him, considering the profile of players he's thrown to at times
Old 10-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #93
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Really? If given a choice, I don't think the defense would agree with you. Rushing and receiving fumbles at least mean we had the ball for a little while and gave them some rest. Fumble away a punt return and the defense has no time off and essentially gets penalized for actually doing their job and forcing a punt. That's a little more demoralizing I would think.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #94
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Really? If given a choice, I don't think the defense would agree with you. Rushing and receiving fumbles at least mean we had the ball for a little while and gave them some rest. Fumble away a punt return and the defense has no time off and essentially gets penalized for actually doing their job and forcing a punt. That's a little more demoralizing I would think.
Not as demoralizing to an opposing defense as when they don't even get the chance to hit the field.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #95
Bacchus

Quote:
Ok but how are they related?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #96
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
Anyone else think Manning could use him as a Sproles like option out of the backfield too? Would not put it past him, considering the profile of players he's thrown to at times
Isn't that what Hillman is for?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #97
underrated29
10-6 baby.

Cutler doesnt suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post

But the absolute thing you do want to do is get in FG range for prater to get points. With our offense that hasnt been a problem but now if we can get just 10 yards on a PR.

Peyton only has to complete about 3 passes before we are now in scoring position.

What would you rather have:
3-4 first downs for points
2-3 first downs for points
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #98
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
But the absolute thing you do want to do is get in FG range for prater to get points. With our offense that hasnt been a problem but now if we can get just 10 yards on a PR.

Peyton only has to complete about 3 passes before we are now in scoring position.

what if your defense can't force a punt?
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #99
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post

This guy will get Denver 5 more yards a PR. If he does not fumble the ball away it was a good acquisition. If he fumbles the ball than it is not worth it. That is allI am saying.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #100
Bronc62
Solid Starter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
he hasn't returned a punt yet for the broncos, and he's already better than eddie royal, rod smith, deltha oneil, or darian gordon?
I'm saying the Broncos haven't had an CONSISTENT FEARED THREAT at punt returner for decades. Did any of these guys have 4 TD punt returns in one season or 8 career PR TD's like Upchurch?
Bronc62 is offline   Reply With Quote