The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default Which Broncos QB records will fall?

I was bored at work today at was just thinking about Bronco football as I always seem to do. I started to look at some stats from this year and it got me to thinking which Bronco franchise records Manning could possibly break this year?

After a little research it is in my opinion that he could break them all!

Here is a little breakdown of some of our records, along with Elway's best season (just because I can)

Broncos team record

Quarterback Rating:.....92.8 Elway in '93
Passing Yards:.....4526 Cutler in '08
Passing TD's:.....27 Elway in '97, Plummer in '04
Completion %:.....66.7% Griese in '02 (only 13 games)
63.6% Cutler in '07 (all 16 games)
Total Completions:.....384 Cutler in '08
Total Attempts:.....616 Cutler in '08

Elway's best's

Quarterback Rating:.....92.8 '93
Passing Yards:.....4030 '93
Passing TD's:.....27 '97
Completion %:.....63.2% '93
Total Completions:.....348 '93
Total Attempts:.....605 '85

Manning is having a great year by a lot of peoples standards, but even I was suprised when looking at his projections for the rest of the year.

Manning's Projected 2012 stats

Quarterback Rating:.....101.0
Passing Yards:.....4797
Passing TD's:.....35
Completion %:.....66%
Total Completions:.....416
Total Attempts:.....630

So if Manning continues on with how he is doing he will break and shatter pretty much every season record for the Broncos. I know the NFL is a completely different game then in the 80's and 90's. So I was just wondering what all your thoughts on Manning potentially setting new standards for quarterbacking in Denver.

(apologize for any formatting mistakes, doing this on my phone and its a lot harder then I thought)
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

The obvious one is going to be Passing TDs. For a franchise that had Elway, I still can't believe that only 27 is the high.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
dictionary

I dont think anyone here with the exception of americanbronc fan, or whatever the f*** his name is, would really be surprised. Manning is in the conversation for GOAT.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
The obvious one is going to be Passing TDs. For a franchise that had Elway, I still can't believe that only 27 is the high.
That is very surprising, it seems every year for the last couple of years at least 8 or so pass for more TD then that. Crazy how the NFL has changed in the last 13 years since Elway left the game.

Another surprise was Elway only had one 4,000 yd passing season.

Manning has only had 2 seasons where he HASN'T passed for over 4,000 yds.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The records don't actually mean too much to me. Elway was greater than what his numbers were and was strapped with a Dan Reeves run run pass punt offense for years and in a league that didn't baby the players near as much.

I don't really care what Manning's numbers end up here, as long as he's able to win games. He's going to get his numbers regardless, I just hope it has a meaning behind it.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Jay3

He'll break every one of those records, except possibly completion percentage and passing yards.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
27 TD passes is high when you consider our RB also had 15 himself. I doubt McGahee scores 15 TD's rushing this season.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
27 TD passes is high when you consider our RB also had 15 himself. I doubt McGahee scores 15 TD's rushing this season.
Still seems low, all things considered, including Cutler. Jake Delhomme has thrown for 29.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I expect Peyton Manning to pretty much break all but a few of those records this season.

Especially if the defense keeps giving up 35 first downs and rolling over on 3rd down conversions.

If Denver has to play from behind, Peyton Manning will obliterate most of those passing records.

I'd love to see him post awesome franchise breaking numbers....but not at the expense of abandoning the running game while trying to play catch up in the 2nd half of games.

I'd rather see Peyton Manning throw for 280 yards and have the team consistently gain over 100+ yards on the ground.

Denver's offense is at it's dangerous best when the passing game sets up the running game and leaves teams off balance.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 10-11-2012 at 05:04 PM..
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Cool thread. Seriously, lots of interesting info to reflect on
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Elway never had the # of attempts Marino had let a lone PM.

Elway's teams were balanced an ran the ball a ton more even when we didn't have good RB's.

Elway owns PM in rushing TD's though with 33 total over his career to 17!

WOOOOOO HOOOO!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
extralife
Ring of Famer

I doubt we'll throw the ball 630 times, but every one of those records is in play. I think he gets TDs and QB rating, and falls just short of the others.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
The records don't actually mean too much to me. Elway was greater than what his numbers were and was strapped with a Dan Reeves run run pass punt offense for years and in a league that didn't baby the players near as much.

I don't really care what Manning's numbers end up here, as long as he's able to win games. He's going to get his numbers regardless, I just hope it has a meaning behind it.
This is along the lines of my thinking as well. It was such a different time when Elway arrived here compared to now. Its not really a debate on who is better, its just amazing to actually see the differences with these numbers. Nothing can replace what Elway meant to this franchise when he first arrived, and his overall game and swagger are something that you just don't see much with any of the quarterbacks that come into the league.

Manning is going to get his numbers, you're right. But they won't mean anything if he and the rest of the Broncos can't beat the teams that matter to get to the ultimate goal. If anyone is going to break the franchises records in this day in age, who better than Manning though? Fun times!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning is on pace to throw for a career-high 4,821 passing yards. He’s on pace to throw 37 touchdown passes, which would be the second-best of his career, and both his completion rate (67.8 percent) and his passer rating (105.0) would be the second-best for his career. He’s on pace to throw 11 interceptions, which would be his lowest total since 2006. So does that mean he’s all the way back after having multiple neck surgeries and missing all of last season?
After a year off with a new team and not 100%, this could end up being Mannings 2nd best season of his carrer, maybe even the overall best. I'm excited to see him and the team continue to get better every week!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eck-surgeries/
Old 10-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

the only one I care about is Super Bowls won by a starting QB....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

The only ones I care about other ones with the name Cutler by them. I hope he takes all of those.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #17
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post

Don't forget that the main reason that Manning is here to challenge Elway, is once again because of Elway. Even though he's not "in the game," he's still in the game...

Score for Elway.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #18
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
The only ones I care about other ones with the name Cutler by them. I hope he takes all of those.
Haha, I feel the same way
Old 10-27-2012, 02:06 AM   #19
Bacchus

ALL OF THEM WILL FALL!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #20
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quick update after the NO game. Manning is on pace for 402 completions on 587 attempts for a 68.5%. 4830 yds. And 39 TD passes!! That would break the previous record by 12! Let's hope they just keep winning and win the whole dang thing this year!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #21
DENVERDUI55

I'm going to guess they all fall as previous posters mentioned. Sure is nice he is on our side and not torching our D anymore.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #22
Agamemnon

It's also worth noting that he is having one the best seasons of his career at this point. With the easier opposition going forward and the continued improvement of the offense overall, this may well be his 2nd best season ever (I don't think there's much chance of him surpassing 2004).
Old 10-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #23
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

didn't Griese's shortened season feature the highest QB rating?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #24
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
didn't Griese's shortened season feature the highest QB rating?
Yeah PM will smash that.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #25
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Until he carries teams to 5 AFC Championship and 2 Super Bowl titles, breaking antiquated regular season records will mean nothing in comparing to the greatness that is John Elway. Manning has a long way to go...he is a great regular season QB but several of his contemporaries (including his brother) have outdone him in the playoffs and championship categories.

As far as championships are concerned, Elway's only real peer was Joe Montana, and Joe's team was loaded with all-time type players. In the AFC, Elway was up against the likes of Dan Marino, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, etc. and still outdid all of them in the Championships department during his career.

I love me some Manning though...and I've got a special feeling that this team is going to win a couple of trophies before he hangs em up.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote