The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #76
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
I'm curious as to what you define a project linebacker as.

Also I it is interesting you will write off Skov for being a strong side 3-4 guy, Andrew Jacksons size will likely put him in the 3-4 in the pros.
^ I had that same double take, but let it go.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #77
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
It's pretty close to the truth.......

I hate it when our players act like thugs and douchebags and get arrested like they're playing for the ****ing Raiders....others on here don't care if the guys playing for us are criminals, or a-holes.

When players on other teams get into trouble this board is justifiably filled with belly grabbing, knee slapping laughter....and Broncos fans collectively discuss what a POS the guy is....however when it's one of our own players that does the same ****....clowns on here scramble to justify or make excuses for it.

Add in that had DJ not committed his transgressions, he would be on the field now......amazing how when a guy like Mays costs us a game by missing a tackle he's shown no mercy. DJ has missed 5 entire games cuz he's a dumbass.....why would anyone care if he plays another down for us again?

Just one man's opinion.....

Last edited by errand; 10-11-2012 at 11:20 AM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #78
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

^ SOmeone stated we are 3rd in recent arrests for the NFL. We are the new Raiders without the a-hole fans. It is very disturbing.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #79
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
^ SOmeone stated we are 3rd in recent arrests for the NFL. We are the new Raiders without the a-hole fans. It is very disturbing.
I think the new regime here will do a better job getting character guys. You can tell by the off season acquisitions they are placing priority on character.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #80
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I think the new regime here will do a better job getting character guys. You can tell by the off season acquisitions they are placing priority on character.
I could care less about character.... Give me a guy who can play that has an attitude or smokes weed. As long as there are no issues that prevents him from playing in games
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #81
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
It's pretty close to the truth.......

I hate it when our players act like thugs and douchebags and get arrested like they're playing for the ****ing Raiders....others on here don't care if the guys playing for us are criminals, or a-holes.

When players on other teams get into trouble this board is justifiably filled with belly grabbing, knee slapping laughter....and Broncos fans collectively discuss what a POS the guy is....however when it's one of our own players that does the same ****....clowns on here scramble to justify or make excuses for it.

Add in that had DJ not committed his transgressions, he would be on the field now......amazing how when a guy like Mays costs us a game by missing a tackle he's shown no mercy. DJ has missed 5 entire games cuz he's a dumbass.....why would anyone care if he plays another down for us again?

Just one man's opinion.....
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #82
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
If Character was the be all end all...then why didn't the Elway/Fox regime keep Tebow on as backup? Hmm.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #83
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolad View Post
I could care less about character.... Give me a guy who can play that has an attitude or smokes weed. As long as there are no issues that prevents him from playing in games
You mean like getting caught smoking weed?
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #84
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolad View Post
Like a thug attitude or smoking weed?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #85
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I don't see any prospect having the ability to be a three down MLB outside of Te'o and make an IMMEDIATE impact, since we are in win now mode.

Reddick has nice athleticism but he's a project, Skov is a 3-4 strong side LB/ILB,
Mauti is a project...I am very intrigued by Andrew Jackson, but I would need to see more fluid hips and ball skills. But he is a leader and an aggressive play maker!
I honestly think Reddick would be an awesome replacement for DJ.

with the MLB position, unless we got incredibly lucky and got Te'o there really isn't an every down playmaker ready to start in the draft. I think the most likely route will be replacing DJ through the draft and probably bringing in a free agent to play the MLB spot
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #86
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
If Character was the be all end all...then why didn't the Elway/Fox regime keep Tebow on as backup? Hmm.
Because a high character QB that can't throw the ball accurately is just as worthless to the team as a low character thug with talent that gets suspended all the time.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #87
Nwp-Apap

Quote:
Like a thug attitude or smoking weed?
Didn't stop Marvin Harrison
Old 10-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #88
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
why did the Broncos resign Mays for 3 more years at $12 million?
I betcha the FO is asking themselves that very question right now. If we ran a 3/4 defense I could see it, maybe. But having this guy as the MLB in a 4-3 is asking way too much of what he is able to do. Period.

DJ is much better then Mays - yeah, he's a bone head off the field and it's his own fault for being suspended, but at least we will get him back for a good handful of games and I think he will make this defense improved.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #89
menonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwp-Apap View Post

Marvin Harrison was a model citizen when he was playing. I don't remember him ever failing a drug test, acting like a thug or even having the typical "diva" attitude that so many WR's have.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #90
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Mays > DJ
Wow, really showing your low football IQ right there dude. You may not like DJ because of his off the field problems but to think Mays is flat out a better LB, thank god your not our talent scout.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #91
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonite View Post
Marvin Harrison was a model citizen when he was playing. I don't remember him ever failing a drug test, acting like a thug or even having the typical "diva" attitude that so many WR's have.
He's referring to Harrison and a weapon involved in a Philadelphia shooting at a car wash I think.....
Old 10-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #92
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwp-Apap View Post
Awful comparison.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #93
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

This team isn't getting Teo unless they tank and lose 9-10 games.

The only other prospect I at MIKE that I would strong consider somewhat early would be Kevin Reddick, but that isn't until the late second or third round. He doesn't have the off the field concerns, injury history that some of the other guys in this class do. Plus, his instincts and intelligence are top notch, and certainly more than enough athletic to play on Sundays. Better than any of the North Carolina LBers that have came out recently.

If Minter from LSU came out, I'd place him above Reddick as someone I would pursue. Not interested in Skov or Mauti early because of injuries.

As far as OLB, Mosley is good enough to come out now. Should he stay? Probably.

Last edited by Requiem; 10-11-2012 at 02:27 PM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #94
menonite

Quote:
He's referring to Harrison and a weapon involved in a Philadelphia shooting at a car wash I think.....
I know, but I don't see how that had anything to do with his NFL career. It's like saying O.J was a crappy running back becasue he couldn't stop stabbing people or that Jerry Rice spending so much time on Dancing with the Stars was hurting his NFL career.

Of all the divas and wannabe thugs in the NFL it just seems strange to pick Marvin Harrison as an example.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #95
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
~ 10% of DJ's tackles last year were for loss. Five others were sacks. You were saying?
So 90% of his tackles were past the LOS is what you are saying?
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #96
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonite View Post
I know, but I don't see how that had anything to do with his NFL career. It's like saying O.J was a crappy running back becasue he couldn't stop stabbing people or that Jerry Rice spending so much time on Dancing with the Stars was hurting his NFL career.

Of all the divas and wannabe thugs in the NFL it just seems strange to pick Marvin Harrison as an example.
Well you have to realize that a lot of posters that defend DJ will grasp at anything to do so.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #97
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
So 90% of his tackles were past the LOS is what you are saying?
As are almost every linebackers in the league that aren't elite players. In Woodyard's best year (which posters point to saying there isn't a drop off in production) he didn't register in the top 100 defenders in the league in that category. Yet, Williams has the past two years, and had better years for TFL in 2007-2009, so it is quite safe to assume that was the case when his TFL in those years were higher than what the bottom end of the top 100 defenders in football was most recently.

FWIW: Tulloch, Lofton and Hawthorne, who were all available, are in that same boat percentage wise too. Would have been nice to grab one of them and plug them inside as opposed to Joe Mays, eh?

Unless you are named Von Miller, Demarcus Ware, Terrell Suggs or James Harrison (a few others too) based on 2011 statistics, you aren't going to be notching more than 15% of your tackles for loss behind the LOS. I've mentioned several linebackers who are considered "elite" in this league, where D.J. has had comparable numbers in re: TFL over the past few seasons. (Note: This doesn't mean D.J. is elite.)

There is a myth being perpetrated on this board that most all Williams tackles were 10 yards down field, yet there isn't any visual or statistical evidence provided by anyone in that regard. They are just talking out their rears. Yet, plenty of evidence has been provided that he has been one of the better pass rushing LBers over the past several seasons and has been making more plays on the ball than he ever has in his career when you take into consideration FF and FR.

I never said Williams was an All-Pro or elite line backer. We can give Von Miller those kudos as he was devastating last year and on pace to even do better this year. Williams is a good player. He is not special, but he is solid. Can't expect much more out of a mid-first round pick than he has given us in his 8 years with the team. Nobody denies that his off the field **** gets old or either. Perhaps if his head was in the right place, he could achieve his full potential. Even those who support Williams don't go out of their way to make excuses for actions that are simply inexcusable -- and no, I don't feel that SoCal does that.

However, as I've stated previously, he has played inside in two different schemes, and OLB at both SAM and WILL in his career under 7 different defensive coordinators. He never got the chance to stick in one place and develop. His ability to be so versatile (mainly due to athleticism) allowed him to do what was necessary for the team.

People really need to stop b****ing about his play and stop the ridiculous remarks that Woodyard is his equal. He is NOT.

Last edited by Requiem; 10-11-2012 at 04:34 PM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #98
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
he has played inside in two different schemes, and OLB at both SAM and WILL in his career under 7 different defensive coordinators.
Is it any wonder he drinks?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #99
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Wow, really showing your low football IQ right there dude. You may not like DJ because of his off the field problems but to think Mays is flat out a better LB, thank god your not our talent scout.
Anybody currently on the roster > Anybody currently not
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #100
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Is it any wonder he drinks?