The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #101
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUB View Post
D.J. Williams is an athlete, though, and an underrated asset for the linebackers for years now. You can say he is as dumb of a rock, but there's no question that the capabilities of that linebacking crew plummeted even without an aging Williams. And mike wasn't a position Williams played naturally out of college, but he did get better at it in the pros. Old, coming out of suspensions Williams > wheelbarrow Mays.
He is not a mike is not smart enough to make the calls other than perhaps LAST CALL. While Mays not be the guy Dumb Jock is not either. He does not make big hits nor TFL. For that matter stops at the LOS.
He may be an athlete but he is not a MIKE. He did not get better playing MLB they had to take THINKING out of his control.

Let go of the bromance as for sure he is gone at the EOY. He is not worth 6 mil to the team playing part time when he is not in jail or on suspension.

I suspect when he is finally off suspension the judge may do us a favor and throw his ass in jail for the duration of the season. Now that would be a great bronco fan.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #102
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Actually, he only played 95% of the snaps on Sunday. That's pretty low compared to the 99% he played against Houston or how he played every single snap against Pittsburgh. Mays playing a lot has nothing to do with injuries to other players.
Mays playing a lot is because Brookings could not play because of the concussion. I suspect once Brookings is cleared to play he will be in more and more.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #103
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
That must be the deal.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic
As the middle linebacker, he's expected to be the quarterback of the defense...
That must be the deal.

It always has been. One of the reasons MIKE is a highly paid spot on D.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #104
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Mays playing a lot is because Brookings could not play because of the concussion. I suspect once Brookings is cleared to play he will be in more and more.
...so Brooking got the concussion before the season started?
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #105
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
...so Brooking got the concussion before the season started?
Lonestar, this translates to that Mays has been playing this much on D for the entire year. We can only hope that the coaches have a much better (but not great just better) MIKE in Brooking.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #106
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
He is not a mike is not smart enough to make the calls other than perhaps LAST CALL. While Mays not be the guy Dumb Jock is not either. He does not make big hits nor TFL. For that matter stops at the LOS.
He may be an athlete but he is not a MIKE. He did not get better playing MLB they had to take THINKING out of his control.

Let go of the bromance as for sure he is gone at the EOY. He is not worth 6 mil to the team playing part time when he is not in jail or on suspension.

I suspect when he is finally off suspension the judge may do us a favor and throw his ass in jail for the duration of the season. Now that would be a great bronco fan.
DJ may be the best option they have for the last half of the season as one of the nickle LB's. I'm thinking DJ physically is an upgrade over Mays at MLB. He's taller, faster. For the nickle D I'd rather see DJ in than Mays, but yeah I have to wonder if DJ can handle the green dot any better than Mays (and that may be a concern for JDR and Fox). Brooking seemed to do a good job with the green dot, but suffering a concussion this past game at his age I wonder how long he'll be out, and whether he'll get much more playing time this year.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #107
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

DJ Williams has done everything asked of him on the field since being a Bronco in 2004. Different positions, seven different coordinators. Do you guys ever think that the guy could have reached his full potential had he been given an honest shot to have a consistent coaching effort to make him a better player?

In regards to his play, we know that lonestar's assessment on the matter is a steaking pile of goat piss. His pass rushing numbers have been improving each of the last four years, not to mention forced fumbles and fumble recoveries. Arguably, two of his best seasons have occured in the last three years. He had just as many TFL as Patrick Willis and Clay Matthews last year [2011], and the same amount as Willis and many other quality linebackers in 2010. (And we know Williams isn't on the same caliber level as those players.) Yet, people still gripe about him when he has been one of the most consistent defenders on this team for almost a decade.

There is an obvious drop off in overall play from the linebacking core with DJ absent from the 2012 lineup. You can definitely see it in the passing game where Mays is having to play a majority of snaps in nickel packages where he is blowing coverages constantly, which is where Williams should be playing. It is unfortunate for us, because Joe Mays couldn't make proper calls as a MIKE on a regular basis at NDSU, nor was he ever good in pass coverage against collegiate tight ends who would never even sniff a chance at the NFL. Take off the blinders, goonies. This defense needs DJ.

He has played virtually every position you can at LB and played at a fairly high level. He may have never been an All-Pro or consistent Pro-Bowler, but he has been a solid guy on this team for a long time. The only years with a (large) dip in production came in when he was playing SAM back after his rookie season with the team. Yet, all fans can do is b**** and moan about him because of a recent issue with the playbook, his DUIs and suspension for the urine rigamarole. But then again, this is the Orange Mane -- he isn't Ray Lewis, so obviously he sucks.

Alas, I'm willing to bet most teams in the NFL would hope they could have a first round pick contribute on their team for 8 years, have over 800 tackles, 20 sacks and over a dozen turnovers.

WILLIAMS AT A GLANCE:
[Below courtesy of Denver Broncos website]

Quote:
• A ninth-year linebacker who has opened at least 11 games in each of his eight professional seasons for the Broncos, starting at the weakside (38), inside (31), strongside (29) and middle (16) linebacker positions.
• Owns five 100-tackle seasons, including a personal-best 170 stops in 2007, along with 30 10-tackle games for his career, while ranking sixth in the NFL in tackles(565) in the last five seasons according to press box totals.
• Led the Broncos in tackles the last three seasons and five times overall in his eight years in the league.
• Joined by James Farrior (Pit.) as the only two players with at least 800 tackles and 20 sacks since he entered the league in 2004 (press box totals).
• Started for the Broncos at weakside linebacker in 2004, ‘08 and ‘11, strongside linebacker from 2005-06, middle linebacker in ‘07 and inside linebacker from 2009-10.
• Finished the 2010 season as the only player in the NFL to lead his team in tackles (119) and sacks (5.5) with the latter figure representing a career high.
• Named a Pro Bowl alternate in 2009 after starting all 16 games and ranking sixth in the AFC with a team-high 122 tackles (100 solo), including 3.5 sacks, at inside linebacker.
• Did not miss a regular-season game or a playoff contest in his first four seasons (2004-07) with Denver as its only defender to see time in all 67 Broncos contests during that period.
• Became the first rookie in Broncos history to lead the club in tackles with 114 stops in 2004 en route to finishing third in Associated Press NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year voting and earning Pro Football Weekly/PFWA All-Rookie honors that season.
Sure sounds ****ty, huh?

Some of you guys are dolts. (LONESTAR)

His best year was when he was at MIKE (2007) and statistically speaking, when he played ILB under McDaniels. Yet, we have a poster on here saying he played his worst football at those positions. Lol, wow. GTFO.

Last edited by Requiem; 10-10-2012 at 09:11 PM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #108
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Lonestar, this translates to that Mays has been playing this much on D for the entire year. We can only hope that the coaches have a much better (but not great just better) MIKE in Brooking.
from a respected website at least loads more expertise than this site and dreamers....

Quote:
5. Keith Brooking was moving his players around and getting them into the right positions all game. A few plays were held to little gain immediately afterward - that’s an advantage that Joe Mays doesn’t bring.
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...rs-2012-week-4

Quote:
Keith Brooking came in and was a noticeable and immediate upgrade. Part of that was simply Brooking’s long experience with the NFL, and his ability to see what Mays and even Wesley Woodyard might not - he made play-calling adjustments that on several occasions resulted in the play going for little or no yardage. TJ has said the same, and he's right . Brooking’s lack of speed wasn’t a problem against the Raiders. His experience, on the other hand, was a boon.

Keith Brooking earned the job. He’s smarter, he makes better play calls and adjustments, and he seemed to get to plays faster from the middle. The numbers, and the film, back that up. I hope they stay with him.
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...-over-joe-mays

IMO had he not suffered a concussion late in that game he would have been starting last week..instead of Mays.

and If he is healed this week I would be surprised after last weeks performance by Mays that Brooking does not get most of the snaps..
Old 10-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #109
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
DJ may be the best option they have for the last half of the season as one of the nickle LB's. I'm thinking DJ physically is an upgrade over Mays at MLB. He's taller, faster. For the nickle D I'd rather see DJ in than Mays, but yeah I have to wonder if DJ can handle the green dot any better than Mays (and that may be a concern for JDR and Fox). Brooking seemed to do a good job with the green dot, but suffering a concussion this past game at his age I wonder how long he'll be out, and whether he'll get much more playing time this year.
DJ will not be around until at least week 11 if then IF he is in game shape..

I think we all know he will not be ready for that till week 12-13 ..Might play IF there are more injuries.. but most likely will be cut to save salary if the kiddies come in and play well..

Chance are by then we will be out of the playoff hunt.. IF NOL and the DOLTS at home get us.. not to mention the begals.. the odd sof sweeping the last games of the season are pretty remote..

consider the buc and ravens are later games..

NOW as for DJ taking over at MIKE..

unless something happens with brookings (see above) DJ will not see any part of that spot..

As for his history with the team.. he played WLB for one year as a rookie.. then the next year he was moved to SAM because gold came back after more or less getting fired in TPA.. bad move by mikey,, then in 07 was moved to mike.. had loads of tackles but few for no gain and even fewer for a loss.

He was demoted from play calling mid season because he flat was to dumb to relay the calls in from the sideline.. and to make a change in the coverage was well not his forte..

Most of his tackles have been drag down stops which means to the dreamers in the world that they gained positive yards on them often after making the first down.

he also was moved back to WLB in 08 (after his "great year in 07") and 11..

in 09-10 he played inside weak side LB in the 3-4 for Josh, Nolan and I forget who in 10..

Code:
Career Stats Season	Team	Games	Tackles	Interceptions	Fumbles
G	GS	Total	Solo	Ast	Sck	SFTY	PDef	Int	Yds	Avg	Lng	TDs	FF	FR
TOTAL 	810 	617 	193 	20.0 	-- 	37 	2 	10 	-- 	10 	0 	13 	7
2011 	DEN 	13 	13 	90 	70 	20 	5.0 	-- 	2 	-- 	-- 	-- 	-- 	-- 	3 	1
2010 	DEN 	16 	15 	119 	94 	25 	5.5 	-- 	9 	-- 	-- 	-- 	-- 	-- 	1 	1
2009 	DEN 	16 	16 	122 	100 	22 	3.5 	-- 	7 	-- 	-- 	-- 	-- 	-- 	3 	2
2008 	DEN 	11 	11 	93 	68 	25 	2.5 	-- 	2 	-- 	-- 	-- 	-- 	-- 	0 	1
2007 	DEN 	16 	16 	141 	106 	35 	1.0 	-- 	5 	1 	0 	-- 	0 	0 	2 	2
2006 	DEN 	16 	15 	76 	59 	17 	1.0 	-- 	2 	-- 	-- 	-- 	-- 	-- 	1 	--
2005 	DEN 	16 	14 	55 	39 	16 	0.0 	-- 	3 	-- 	-- 	-- 	-- 	-- 	2 	--
2004 	DEN 	16 	14 	114 	81 	33 	2.0 	-- 	7 	1 	10 	-- 	10 	0 	1 	--

DJ is a tackling machine when he is not drunk, but do not ta him with playing MLB because they are tasked with making the defensive reads at the LOS and calling play plays..

Something Brookings is head above him..

please let the bromance for this moron go it is unbecoming of anyone with a brain.. he is gone next year unless he takes a massive pay cut.. and for 4 games this year I do not think John will pay the 7 weeks worth of salary for him..
Old 10-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #110
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
from a respected website at least loads more expertise than this site and dreamers....

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...rs-2012-week-4

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...-over-joe-mays

IMO had he not suffered a concussion late in that game he would have been starting last week..instead of Mays.

and If he is healed this week I would be surprised after last weeks performance by Mays that Brooking does not get most of the snaps..
Brooking didn't get injured in the Raider game, he was injured in the 3rd quarter of the Patriot game. Even with him looking superior to Mays, the coaches still only had him play 18 snaps up until he was injured. Mays, on the other hand, played 92 snaps.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #111
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Mays did not play a single defensive snap last night.

Maybe complaining on the internet works?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #112
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:

Maybe McCoy will open up an account so he can listen to us and finally get out of Manning's way!
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #113
Agamemnon

Quote:

Or maybe Del Rio woke the **** up after watching last week's film.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #114
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:

His work in the New England game speaks for itself. He's just not any good at football. Not at linebacker anyway.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #115
Drunken.Broncoholic

2-0 without him. Brooking was out of position on a couple plays but id still take him over mays.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #116
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Maybe McCoy will open up an account so he can listen to us and finally get out of Manning's way!
Yeah, Manning is totally beholden to him. I mean it's not like Manning just audibles to whatever the **** he wants... oh wait, yes it is.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #117
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Trevathan (#59) and I think even Steve Johnson (#53) got some snaps? I know I saw a lot of #59 out on the field. I also saw Irving (#56) make some plays too
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #118
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Trevathan (#59) and I think even Steve Johnson (#53) got some snaps? I know I saw a lot of #59 out on the field. I also saw Irving (#56) make some plays too
First play in to relieve Miller Irving swallowed up the RB at the line of scrimmage
Old 10-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #119
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I've maintained that everyone of those guys is a better option than Mays, and I stand by it. Not because I don't expect them to suck at times, but because Mays is just that god awful at MLB.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #120
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
His work in the New England game speaks for itself. He's just not any good at football. Not at linebacker anyway.
he would be a hell of a lead blocker...if he knew which hole to run through
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #121
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I've maintained that everyone of those guys is a better option than Mays, and I stand by it. Not because I don't expect them to suck at times, but because Mays is just that god awful at MLB.
Yep. The results with and without Mays speaks for itself. Id be happy if we just flat out released him.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #122
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
he would be a hell of a lead blocker...if he knew which hole to run through
I can picture it now. The idiot cannonball rushes into the hole, head lowered, ready to deliver a crushing blow on a would-be tackler. The defender sees the dip**** coming, steps to the side, and stuffs the play for no gain.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #123
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

Quote:

I know Im starting to think they have a spy.
Someone Biatched about fox being way to conservative= next game fake kick
Biatched about punt returner= new punt returner
Biatched about Mays= eventhough it took awhile, he got replaced.
Biatched about turnovers= ton of turnovers this game.
Last year Biatched about wanting Tebow to start= then we get Tebow.

I know there is some other stuff that this board has biatched about and the team corrected but I cant think of it right now.
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #124
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Brookings needs to finish the season as our MLB then we can draft a young guy high next year.

Mays should just be emergency depth and only play if Brookings or DJ can't.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #125
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncolife View Post
I know Im starting to think they have a spy.
Someone Biatched about fox being way to conservative= next game fake kick
Biatched about punt returner= new punt returner
Biatched about Mays= eventhough it took awhile, he got replaced.
Biatched about turnovers= ton of turnovers this game.
Last year Biatched about wanting Tebow to start= then we get Tebow.

I know there is some other stuff that this board has biatched about and the team corrected but I cant think of it right now.
We have been b****ing about McCoy and he is still here

Unless he is the spy...
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote