The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #126
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer
 
Bigdawg26's Avatar
 
Just let it happen!!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,971

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Not after watching the Patriots game. Both safeties got schooled all day long and were out of position situationally for most of the game. He did make a few really nice plays, but he also made more boneheaded ones by my count.
You must not have been watching the game then. Moore was coming up in hitting in run support. It wasn't him getting schooled in the passing game he was playing deep. They would target Mays in coverage or Wes in in short middle of the field (which was Mays in zone or Harris in coverage). He has improved greatly this season, but he's not making any game changing plays yet. Give him some time and INT's will come. I honestly believe he is the GOAT of this defense. He's not Ed Reed, but give the guy a chance.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #127
teknic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
While he pisses people off, seems Mays is taking most of the hits on defense. Is he improving? Yes and noticed it before this weekend but will he be someone that we can get behind knowing he will be elite? I doubt it. We come from the Dennis Smith/Steve Atwater/Lynch/Hawkins type of safety in Denver. Those guys spoiled us but it could be very much accepted come draft or free agency. Those are the type of receivers that make wide outs aligator arm the ball. Makethem scared **** to be near a safety. Moore doesn't do that nor I think he will be that type of guy.
Wouldn't be true today. The game has changed too much. Those guys would be flagged a few times a game for the hits they put on, and likely suspended.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #128
Heyneck
Ring of Famer
 
Heyneck's Avatar
 
RIP Tripplets!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cali, Colombia
Posts: 2,373

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Moore is improving every game. He is no longer a liability. Who ever keeps hating is not watching the games. Yes the dude has dropped some INTs, but other than that he has been fallowing his assignments. Unlike last year, Moore's head is in the game!
Heyneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #129
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,013

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Moore is improving every game. He is no longer a liability. Who ever keeps hating is not watching the games. Yes the dude has dropped some INTs, but other than that he has been fallowing his assignments. Unlike last year, Moore's head is in the game!

That would mean he is playing with Moore head.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #130
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,273

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Moore is improving every game. He is no longer a liability. Who ever keeps hating is not watching the games. Yes the dude has dropped some INTs, but other than that he has been fallowing his assignments.
This- Moore has shown dramatic improvement from last year, and has been getting better every week this year. The people still bashing him are either holding on to last year, or just don't like the kid for some reason.

Moore is not a top 5 concern on this defense as far as personnel goes.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #131
dictionary
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
This- Moore has shown dramatic improvement from last year, and has been getting better every week this year. The people still bashing him are either holding on to last year, or just don't like the kid for some reason.

Moore is not a top 5 concern on this defense as far as personnel goes.
Nice Grudenism. I agree Moore is doing really well this year and is quietly putting together a very solid season: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/by...old_category=S
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #132
Nwp-Apap
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Moore is playing well overall. Seems about average in coverage, and above average in run support. For not being a large Safety, his run support and instincts are actually pretty fantastic. He leads the team in tackles..

And it's not like all his tackles are 20 yards down the field, he is often able tp run up tp the line of scrimmage in time to help keep the runner to a short gain. Dawkins was the last guy we had to play that way, safe to say he made an impact on Rahim's mentality, concerning Rahim was looked at as a deep safety coming out of college, one that would rarely come up and help against the run, much less effectively than he is doing so currently.

Heck, did you guys see that screen play he blew up Sunday? I thought that was fantastic. Best part is, he's barely 22, and I wager that he will continue to improve, and could very well be a pro bowl caliber player in 2013.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #133
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,093

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Not after watching the Patriots game. Both safeties got schooled all day long and were out of position situationally for most of the game. He did make a few really nice plays, but he also made more boneheaded ones by my count.
Moore is not the safety I am worried about, he still has a long way to go in coverage and he is not quick enough with his reads in the passing game - but he is improving and his run support is pretty good - that is enough for me for now.

I still think the bigger problems on defense are MLB, WLB and Mike Adams at SS between those 3 we simply have too big holes in coverage in the middle of the field and we lack safety support deep. For a supposed thumping runstopper Joe Mays does very little thumping and almost no run-stopping. Woodyard and Trevarthan both lack the athleticism to be cover linebackers and the size to consistently take on and shed blockers in the middle. Woodyard does a great job of flowing to the ball on plays that take a bit to get going, be it runs on the outside, pitches, screens or swing routes, but in the middle he gets washed out too often.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #134
enjolras
Ring of Famer
 
enjolras's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I still think the bigger problems on defense are MLB, WLB and Mike Adams at SS between those 3 we simply have too big holes in coverage in the middle of the field and we lack safety support deep. For a supposed thumping runstopper Joe Mays does very little thumping and almost no run-stopping. Woodyard and Trevarthan both lack the athleticism to be cover linebackers and the size to consistently take on and shed blockers in the middle. Woodyard does a great job of flowing to the ball on plays that take a bit to get going, be it runs on the outside, pitches, screens or swing routes, but in the middle he gets washed out too often.
I agree with both the MLB and SS as being huge concerns. Losing Carter for the year absolutely sucks, as I was hoping he'd grow into replacing Adams at SS this year. I think he has the chance to be pretty damn good at that position.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #135
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,923
Default

Moore is improving rapidly and is rounding into a very nice free safety.

the thing we really need is for Carter to get back too 100% and get a stud MLB, hell a good one would do wonders(Nate Irving, where ya at?!))

Last edited by Lestat; 10-09-2012 at 08:12 PM..
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #136
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,013

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Is Carter one of those cases that would be eligible to come back off of IR?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #137
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,766
Default

Moore has done a pretty good job
Nice improvement from last year when he was on the Joe Mays level of suck
Adams is the one who is a disappointment

Too bad Carter got hurt
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #138
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Is Carter one of those cases that would be eligible to come back off of IR?
microfracture surgery is pretty much a year ending deal. even if they did designate him for that he likely wouldn't be physically able to come back unless he had the procedure done around the draft or sooner.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #139
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
microfracture surgery is pretty much a year ending deal. even if they did designate him for that he likely wouldn't be physically able to come back unless he had the procedure done around the draft or sooner.
Oh I forgot he had that
wow safety is a need now in the draft
Microfracture is not just a season ender, it is most likely a career ender
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #140
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,013

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
Oh I forgot he had that
wow safety is a need now in the draft
Microfracture is not just a season ender, it is most likely a career ender
Not any more. They have improved the procedure greatly.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #141
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 970
Default

The difference in Moore's game from last year to this year is huge. Honestl'y I didn't even think he knew how to tackle last year, and did call him a bust. But he has proved me wrong.
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #142
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Not any more. They have improved the procedure greatly.
Do you have any examples?

I am actually a big Quinton Carter fan, I am not being pessimistic for the sake of being pessimistic

I just have not seen many athletes come back from that
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #143
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,013

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
Do you have any examples?

I am actually a big Quinton Carter fan, I am not being pessimistic for the sake of being pessimistic

I just have not seen many athletes come back from that
Microfracture surgery is an articular cartilage repair surgical technique that works by creating tiny fractures in the underlying bone. This causes new cartilage to develop from a so-called super-clot. Microfracture surgery has gained popularity in sports in recent years; numerous professional athletes including members of the NBA (most notably Anfernee Hardaway, Jason Kidd, Greg Oden, Allan Houston, Kenyon Martin, Tracy McGrady, Chris Webber, and Amar'e Stoudemire), MLB (Jeff Clement), NFL and NHL have undergone the procedure.
The surgery is quick (typically lasting between 30-90 minutes), minimally invasive, and can have a significantly shorter recovery time than an arthroplasty (knee replacement).


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfracture_surgery
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #144
~Crash~
My new dog
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper
Default

TD was one of the many bust with this...Microfracture surgery ****!!
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #145
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Microfracture surgery is an articular cartilage repair surgical technique that works by creating tiny fractures in the underlying bone. This causes new cartilage to develop from a so-called super-clot. Microfracture surgery has gained popularity in sports in recent years; numerous professional athletes including members of the NBA (most notably Anfernee Hardaway, Jason Kidd, Greg Oden, Allan Houston, Kenyon Martin, Tracy McGrady, Chris Webber, and Amar'e Stoudemire), MLB (Jeff Clement), NFL and NHL have undergone the procedure.
The surgery is quick (typically lasting between 30-90 minutes), minimally invasive, and can have a significantly shorter recovery time than an arthroplasty (knee replacement).


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfracture_surgery
we will see I guess
lol I like how the 2 of the 3 first names on that list are Penny Hardaway and Greg Oden

I would think Oden would be the poster child as to how micro fracture surgery can signal the death of your career
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #146
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,013

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
we will see I guess
lol I like how the 2 of the 3 first names on that list are Penny Hardaway and Greg Oden

I would think Oden would be the poster child as to how micro fracture surgery can signal the death of your career
Ya if you read the rest of the article there are failures.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:57 PM   #147
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry
 
BowlenBall's Avatar
 
2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 5,267

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
This- Moore has shown dramatic improvement from last year, and has been getting better every week this year. The people still bashing him are either holding on to last year, or just don't like the kid for some reason.

Moore is not a top 5 concern on this defense as far as personnel goes.
Interesting concept... here's my list of defensive starters, in order of concern:

1) Von Miller -- no concern whatsoever
2) Elvis Dumervil -- a small concern vs. run game
3) Champ Bailey -- getting up there in years, has possibly lost a half-step
4) Justin Bannan -- gets the job done, is assignment-sound
5) Kevin Vickerson -- same as Bannan
7) Tracy Porter -- a good second corner, has sealed a game for us, but has also cost us a few times
8) Derek Wolfe -- is adequate at the moment, but will only get better
9) Wesley Woodyard -- undersized for the run game, not good in coverage. However, is very active and has that 'it' factor
10) Rahim Moore -- has played solidly the last two games, but very few impact plays in his career to date
11) Mike Adams -- a journeyman at best, has made a few costly mistakes this year

So... yeah, I would say he IS a top-5 concern, personnel-wise, on this defense....
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #148
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,860
Default

One game soon Moore is going to grab a pick. Some players just take a bit longer to get comfortable. Also Dback increbily hard because there is so much real estate back there and the players so much better. In college with most qbs you dont worry about the type of throws Brady can make. So it can take some time but I think Moore looking better. Hes starting to make a few nice tackes a game. Hes not where he needs to be for a high draft pick or bona fide NFL starting calibar but by end of the yr I think he might be.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #149
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Not any more. They have improved the procedure greatly.
Not anymore? Did you even read the wiki article you posted or know anything about the surgery in regards to NFL players?

Carter is looking at a long recovery and most likely will never be the same. Must hit the draft/FA this offseason.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #150
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,848

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

I had to read this a few times to figure out how you got 11 and missed the biggest weakness on the entire team. No #6! No Joe Mays! Close to failing!


Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Interesting concept... here's my list of defensive starters, in order of concern:

1) Von Miller -- no concern whatsoever
2) Elvis Dumervil -- a small concern vs. run game
3) Champ Bailey -- getting up there in years, has possibly lost a half-step
4) Justin Bannan -- gets the job done, is assignment-sound
5) Kevin Vickerson -- same as Bannan
7) Tracy Porter -- a good second corner, has sealed a game for us, but has also cost us a few times
8) Derek Wolfe -- is adequate at the moment, but will only get better
9) Wesley Woodyard -- undersized for the run game, not good in coverage. However, is very active and has that 'it' factor
10) Rahim Moore -- has played solidly the last two games, but very few impact plays in his career to date
11) Mike Adams -- a journeyman at best, has made a few costly mistakes this year

So... yeah, I would say he IS a top-5 concern, personnel-wise, on this defense....
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Denver Broncos