The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #51
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
I coulda swore QB was our biggest weekness
It was but, we also had alot of other issues that need major upgrades as well.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #52
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
I hope like hell they have some sort of fix going into next year, maybe even this year after DJ comes back. I would not at all be against putting DJ in the Middle and leaving Woodyard at the Will.
You mention many good points, but DJ is horrible at Mike LB. He doesn't have the instincts to play middle (he doesn't know when to attack the LOS, and find the holes). He waits too long. This is what happened when he was playing middle in the 3-4. They need to draft a stud.
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #53
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Del Rio is fine. There is only so much you can do when your front seven is one stud, one situational pass rusher, and a bunch of guys that would be backups or rotational guys on most decent defenses. Draft a real Mike or acquire one via FA. Draft a real Will or acquire one via FA. Put those guys next to Von and watch what JDR can do.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #54
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
The 3rd and 14 was Joe Mays at his best.

Just watched it again. When you detach yourself from it emotionally and just watch it from an analytical point of view it's actually quite hilarious.

Mays has man coverage on Woodhead. Woodhead stays in to pass protect at first, then moves out into the flat for a checkdown. For reasons I can't quite figure out, Mays runs directly at Woodhead and seems to attempt to block him.

I say block because it's not really a tackle... it looks a bit like he tries to play press coverage on Woodhead, despite the fact that the play has already been going on for about three seconds and Woodhead is running towards him already.

Anyway, Woodhead manages to overcome the shock of being confronted by such a ridiculous move and saunters by a stunned Mays and into enough space to complete an easy pass with a ton of open space in front of him.

All the guy has to do is keep Woodhead in front of him and he'll be fine. If Brady hits him with a checkdown then tackle him for the 6 yard gain and send the punting unit out there.

Instead of getting the ball back with three minutes on the clock and down by 7 (likely with decent field position too) it's 1st and 10 for the Pats close to midfield.

Idiot cannonball indeed, I genuinely hate watching him play on our defense.
I made it a point to watch Mays on quite a few plays and his instincts are beyond terrible. He's an ok tackler, not special like Miller is, but his problem is he can't get himself to the right area because he has no instinct at all for LB. Not at this level. No way.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #55
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I made it a point to watch Mays on quite a few plays and his instincts are beyond terrible. He's an ok tackler, not special like Miller is, but his problem is he can't get himself to the right area because he has no instinct at all for LB. Not at this level. No way.
Brady made him look like he never played the game before last Sunday.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #56
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I don't know that we were able to sub the way we wanted to with that no-huddle they were running.
That is it, you could tell all game that the defense was worried about getting caught with the wrong package personnel out there against the no-huddle so they kept their groupings very basic.

Against a team that plays a slower offense we would see more players switch depending on situations but on several drives we ended up with pretty much the same defense out there regardless of down and distance and offensive alignment.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #57
Turd_Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
A part of that is because they weren't ready for the style that the patriots played, the fast paced no huddle. It was a surprise. They played better the second half after some adjustments, but that Manning fumble killed us. I don't think we're a bad run stopping defense, it's just this was sort of a surprise or more of a shock the way the Patriots were running the offense.
I agree to a point. While I think the Defense has been a weak point, I think this hurry up run game the Pats used is similar to the Wildcat Offense. When Miami first used it against New England it looked like it was unstoppable and genius, now it's mainly useless... Teams will come up with an answer to the Patriots hurry up run offense given time to study it. If we play them again in the Playoffs and its the same result, then its a different story...
Old 10-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #58
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
It was but, we also had alot of other issues that need major upgrades as well.
right. You can't do it all at once is my point
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #59
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Jack Del Rio sucks as a football coach. this DEfense is unprepared week after week. It's because Del Rio is old and lazy. I thought it would be a good hire. Instead we got a bum that just collects a paycheck.
So he was unprepared against Oakland and Pittsburgh? Or is he only unprepared when Denver is playing a top 5 offense?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #60
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolad View Post
Say what you will about DJ but he can tackle running backs in the flat with minimal gain. He is poor in coverage down field but when a running back catches the ball on a swing or short pass they are usually tackled immediately
DJ is a drag down tackler and Usually after the ball carrier has made the first down..

WW is playing as well as he has and in fact last year had better numbers in 6 less starts..

DJ is not the answer unless WW gets hurt and then they may even play the new kid DT.. to get him some experience..

DJ is gone after this year IF not before getting back to the field..

it will take him 2 weeks to get back into game shape If not more depending on how much drinking he is doing while on vacation..

that means at best he is back full time for the Bucs 02 DEC..

Unless there is a melt down at LB (read WLB) between now and then they may make the decision to cut his ass the minute he is off suspension and stop the money bleeding on this moron..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #61
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

UNTIL we played Brady who is a hell of a QB our defense improved IIRC from 22 to 9 against the run, with a similar number for the pass..

Dramatic improvement over the past few years..

Two weeks ago everyone was calling him a miracle worker and because NE gashed us like they have everyone else he is a bum..

what a bunch of cry babies..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote