The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
Bacchus

Default Champ Bailey Appreciation Thread

Started with Bill Belichick.

Champ Bailey draws big praise from Patriots coach Bill Belichick

Ill let you just read Belichicks answer to a question about Bailey for yourself, because the usually terse coach was quite expansive:

I would start by just saying with Champ, to me hes one of the few corners in the league that really can match up against anybody. He matches up against the Andre Johnsons of the world, the big, strong, physical, fast guys. Then hell match up against quick, real good route running, quick receivers, guys like that too. [It] doesnt really make any difference. You can watch him match up against whoever they want to put him on, whether its Mike Wallace or whether its Calvin Johnson, through the years; Im not just talking about this year. At times, hes been on tight ends, like when he would be on [Tony] Gonzalez back in the day and things like that.

Belichick continued:

So, I think hes really capable of being physical and standing in there and banging with the big guys. Hes got enough quickness and length with the little guys to match their quickness and give them a problem and stay with them, or if he gets his hands on them and jams them, he can destroy the route right off the bat. Hes a very instinctive player, so he has a good sense of what the guy is trying to do and what their tendencies are and things like that. Hes on a lot of routes just because hes experienced and hes smart. I think he can cover, Id say there arent too many corners in the league it would be hard to think of who the next one would be who like him could match up as well against any type of receiver. Some guys do well against some type of players and have a little trouble with another type of guy.

And continued:

It looks like to me like he does a pretty good job against anybody on whoever the other teams best receiver is, if they want to match him up, which sometimes they do, sometimes they dont. They dont always match him but at times they will. He can match them or not match them or he can take whoever comes out and do a pretty good job with it. Man, zone, hes a good Cover-2 corner, hes a good one-on-one corner, hes a good zone corner, tackles well, hes a good run-force corner, hes pretty much a prototype corner in terms of having a full set of skills, does everything well, plays the ball well, very good hands, but hes a strong tackler and a good run-force player too.

Link: http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...lichick/16168/
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
Bacchus

When you talk about the best that has ever been. Denver has four players that could qualify for a discussion in that regard. Elway, Sharpe, Manning and Bailey.

Both Manning and Bailey are heading in the homestretch of great careers lets hope they get a SB ring to top it off.

What Bilicheat said about bailey is spot-on and very insightful.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
When you talk about the best that has ever been. Denver has four players that could qualify for a discussion in that regard. Elway, Sharpe, Manning and Bailey.

Both Manning and Bailey are heading in the homestretch of great careers lets hope they get a SB ring to top it off.

What Bilicheat said about bailey is spot-on and very insightful.
I would put Gary Zimmerman in that argument, as well.

But, to stay on point, I believe Belechik is being genuine in this article. Champ has earned the respect he gets year in and year out. I'm VERY happy he's a Bronco and will very likely stay w/them the rest of his career.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Second best corner of the last decade or so.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
2nd? Who's 1st?

I think champ is the best "complete" corner in the game since its inception
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
I would put Gary Zimmerman in that argument, as well.

But, to stay on point, I believe Belechik is being genuine in this article. Champ has earned the respect he gets year in and year out. I'm VERY happy he's a Bronco and will very likely stay w/them the rest of his career.
I can agree with that. Good point
Old 10-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
Bacchus

Quote:
He is in the top 2 of all-time IMO.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Paradis by the dashboard lights

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Huh? Who would you put at #1? Revis?

Revis doesn't have the body of work to claim the top spot yet, and while he's a great player, he gets puffed up by the NY media far beyond his actual abilities. He's probably #3 or #4 over the last decade right now.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

The entirety of Champ's career functions as a fantastic template for the ideal DB
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Huh? Who would you put at #1? Revis?

Revis doesn't have the body of work to claim the top spot yet, and while he's a great player, he gets puffed up by the NY media far beyond his actual abilities. He's probably #3 or #4 over the last decade right now.
Woodson would be the only other guy in the conversation.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

And to echo what Belichick said, I can't even think of a run stopping/form tackling CB that even comes close to what Champ brings every game.

He's a linebacker in a cornerback's body.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
And to echo what Belichick said, I can't even think of a run stopping/form tackling CB that even comes close to what Champ brings every game.

He's a linebacker in a cornerback's body.
Applies to this post as well: Woodson would be the only other guy in the conversation.

Though I'd throw Tillman in on this one too... but prob not fair to put C2 corners in on a tackling discussion.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #13
Mile High 81
Solid Starter

So I hope wg cen put together a team, where he can get what he deserves: His Ring !
Mile High 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Paradis by the dashboard lights

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

We're a demanding, critical fan base.

Which makes our universal respect for Champ all the more impressive, IMO. The dude is just so, so consistently solid that even a bunch of b****es like us are all in accord!
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #15
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Woodson would be the only other guy in the conversation.
That's who I would put along side Champ as the best in the last decade. The big difference between the two... Champ doesn't generate turnovers. Woodson is a turnover machine... Likely why you have Peanut in the conversation as well. I wish Champ would come off his guy sometimes and make a pick. But offenses have been wise the past few years, basically running him off a play and neutralizing him. Sure, he doesn't give up much but then he also doesn't get opportunities at game changing plays.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
Mr
Sports Deviant

Right In The Face.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von

Bellichick was blowing smoke up Peytons ass yesterday too. IMO its all propaganda.
Mr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #17
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Applies to this post as well: Woodson would be the only other guy in the conversation.

Though I'd throw Tillman in on this one too... but prob not fair to put C2 corners in on a tackling discussion.
Woodson gets more ints because he is not a shut down CB. People throw on him because he gives up the big play. In that respect Champ is probably too good because teams do not really try him that much. He goes against Bowe and he get 3 receptions for 29 yards, He pravctically shut down Julio Jones when they played ATL a couple of weeks ago.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #18
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Woodson gets more ints because he is not a shut down CB. People throw on him because he gives up the big play. In that respect Champ is probably too good because teams do not really try him that much. He goes against Bowe and he get 3 receptions for 29 yards, He pravctically shut down Julio Jones when they played ATL a couple of weeks ago.
Woodsons INTs are damn near identical to Champs, so cut that BS from the get-go... (50 picks in 14 years vs 55 in 15 years <---"years" include this season as well)

Woodson is better than Champ in regards to turnovers because he attacks the ball when he tackles while Champ attacks the player.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #19
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
That's who I would put along side Champ as the best in the last decade. The big difference between the two... Champ doesn't generate turnovers. Woodson is a turnover machine... Likely why you have Peanut in the conversation as well. I wish Champ would come off his guy sometimes and make a pick. But offenses have been wise the past few years, basically running him off a play and neutralizing him. Sure, he doesn't give up much but then he also doesn't get opportunities at game changing plays.
If Tillman plays 5 more years like Champ and Woodson, he'll quietly have put together an amazing HoF career and will have smashed DB tackle and FF #s while having INT figures up there with the elites.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #20
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Teams found out what happens when you don't try to "take Champ out of the game" so to speak in 2005 and 2006.
Break off his route to pick off another pass all the time.
Now, he rarely gets thrown on, shuts down his man most of the time.
He hardly ever will miss a tackle.
But people still love to hate on him for some reason.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #21
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Teams found out what happens when you don't try to "take Champ out of the game" so to speak in 2005 and 2006.
Break off his route to pick off another pass all the time.
Now, he rarely gets thrown on, shuts down his man most of the time.
He hardly ever will miss a tackle.
But people still love to hate on him for some reason.
Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed about him when Denver got him for Portis. The dude can flat out tackle.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #22
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Woodson is my favorite, always has been. More versatile, more of a ball hawk, dpoy, super bowl ring, and defensive player to win the Heisman. Once in a generation player.

Bailey is close, I would rather have Woodson.

Last edited by rbackfactory80; 10-06-2012 at 07:03 PM..
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #23
jutang
Pro Bowler

If Woodson was only a little more average and slower, the Raiders would have been in a Superbowl instead of starting the Patriot's dynasty.

As a Bronco homer, Bailey is still better than Woodson in terms of tackling and run support.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #24
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Woodson...dpoy
don't even, it's a joke Champ didn't win one himself in either '05 or '06
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #25
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

AmericanBroncoFan does not approve of this thread.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote