The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #76
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
But do you seriously like him?
I do. To read him is to like him. I know it's popular to "hate" him, but he's hugely popular and successful for a reason. I've read him for years. I admittedly don't like him as much as I used to, but love his irreverent, informal, every-guy style. I don't see how anyone could read some of his better columns (I'll link a few of them below) and not come away liking the guy at least a little bit!

Len Bias
http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=1216291

The Dooze
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/090122

Spelling bee
http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/...simmons/020531
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #77
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I do. To read him is to like him. I know it's popular to "hate" him, but he's hugely popular and successful for a reason. I've read him for years. I admittedly don't like him as much as I used to, but love his irreverent, informal, every-guy style. I don't see how anyone could read some of his better columns (I'll link a few of them below) and not come away liking the guy at least a little bit!

Len Bias
http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=1216291

The Dooze
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/090122

Spelling bee
http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/...simmons/020531
Fair enough, I'll read them with an open mind. I'm also a U of Maryland alum, so I have a feeling I'll have a different outlook after reading the Lenny Bias article. That brings tears to my eyes to this day. I was in 9th grade when he died and my sister was in the same graduating class as Bias at Maryland.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #78
Stagger Lee

Have to admit it, the Bias article was well written. Hard for me to hate on a guy that loved Lenny.

That was such a crushing blow to the Maryland family. It took the basketball program down for years.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #79
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Dude is a great writer but he has always disliked Denver and it shows in his picks, not just in the NFL. His true passion in the NBA though and he is pretty knowledgable there.

Interesting that Grantland's NFL guy had a good piece on Manning today saying his arm isn't shot, he is just a little more inconsistent, which is probably accurate.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #80
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
...he has always disliked Denver...
I don't know that this is necessarily true. As Broncos fans we're just biased towards the Broncos and sensitive to things that aren't positive about them. I don't know that he's any more negative about the Broncos than any other team other than the Patriots.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #81
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

All he could talk about last year was TebowTime. He doesn't hate Denver.

But I forgot, this is the OMane; if a media member doesn't say that sunshine and flowers emanates from John Elway's ass, they clearly must "hate the Broncos."
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #82
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

He is negative about the nuggets as well and didn't like Denver for the NBA all star game... I read about everything he writes as I enjoy his writing and he has always had a hardon against denver. Just my take though.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #83
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
He is negative about the nuggets as well and didn't like Denver for the NBA all star game... I read about everything he writes as I enjoy his writing and he has always had a hardon against denver. Just my take though.
I can't speak to his feelings about the All-Star game, can't remember that far back... But as of late, he's been Masai's biggest fan. He loves his moves, although he might still be cautious on the Nuggies winning it all.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #84
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Here's the thing with Manning, I think a big part of our plan is to get the no-huddle offense working... getting into a passing grove... get the opposing defense into a pass-defense setup/personnel... and then ram the power running game down their throats... no-huddle style... we'll have their defense locked into a certain defense, and won't let up or give them chance to substitute-out...

Its a little un-orthodox in the modern game, but I think it brilliant.

Thats what I think there are really pushing for.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #85
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
I can't speak to his feelings about the All-Star game, can't remember that far back... But as of late, he's been Masai's biggest fan. He loves his moves, although he might still be cautious on the Nuggies winning it all.
Which honestly (my homerism aside) is probably the right take. He is a very good NBA analyst/writer.

His football observations are not really much different than that of every joe schmoe casual football fan. You have to take it with a grain of salt.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #86
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Q: You trashed Peyton Manning last week and picked the Raiders to win. Insanity, Bill. Manning went 30 of 38 for 338 for three touchdowns and no picks. Say you're sorry. Say it. We deserve that much. We're coming to your house next. Tell me you're not the least bit worried about Manning. I dare you. —Matt Beaudin, Boulder, CO

SG: Of course! Manning could be wearing Steve Grogan's 30-pound neck brace from the '89 season and moving around like Hugh Hefner and I'd still be worried. He's Peyton Manning. Just seeing the "18," seeing the audible-ing at the line, seeing that giant red splotch on his forehead after every series … that stuff will always make me uneasy no matter how old he is. But right now, every Manning throw wobbles in the air with barely enough juice to get where it needs to go. It's just a fact. My buddy Gus (die-hard Broncos fan) and I have been joking about it for weeks — he keeps texting me, "You don't want the Noodle!" and I keep texting back, "GIVE ME THE NOODLE!" Even the Broncos fans know. Deep down, anyway. But as Greg Schiano would say, that doesn't mean it's not not fun.

Q: Peyton nearly brought his team back from 20 twice after his coaching staff finally lets him off the leash and runs his type of offense. His passes have looked weak at times but somehow they still end up in the right place at the right time. You won't see that though. That's what's so charming about you, Sports Guy! You commit to your biases and hold onto them like Commandments, regardless of facts. You're kind of the ideological sports equivalent of Bill O'Reilly! —Soren The Solipsist, Augusta

SG: Now that's not fair! Take that back! I said this in Thursday's podcast and I'll say it again: Peyton's passes look absolutely awful, but clearly, there are larger forces at work here. Watching him thread the needle at 40 mph or squeeze sure interceptions through three guys and somehow find the open man … I mean, it reminds me of when I used to play golf with my father, who was the master of the "drive that hit a tree and somehow bounced right into the middle of the fairway" shot. I used to call it "Dad Luck." Manning has enjoyed an awful lot of Dad Luck with some of these throws so far. I can't imagine the Patriots letting him pick them apart with short stuff — they're going to make him throw over the top on them. I don't think he can do it against them or any other good team. We will see. (I've been wrong before. Thousands and thousands of times, actually.)

Q: When I think about Sunday's Broncos-Pats game, I keep thinking back to the scene at the end of Rocky III in the empty gym. Rocky in his mangled voice "Wanna ring the bell?" Apollo in his annoying arrogant voice, "Ding, Ding." —Brian Clark, Dudley, MA

SG: Couldn't agree more. Here's the part that everyone keeps forgetting about Sunday: Brady shredded Denver's defense 10 months ago. That defense is a little better this season, but not by much. So Denver needs to score 30-plus to win AND get some breaks to win. Seems farfetched. Throw in another breakout performance from star Patriots running back Branvan Boldley and I'm thinking 37-27, Patriots.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...and-dr-simbeau
Old 10-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #87
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

^ I can definitely picture Bill Simmons saying "GIVE ME THE NOODLE!"

It just fits.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #88
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

This crap really bugs me. Anyone bothered to look at his arm before these surgeries? He has always had a wobbly ball.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #89
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Have to agree with Simmons that Belichick will try to take away the underneath stuff and force PM to go to deeper throws. Will be interesting to see how it goes.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #90
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

he has a point in regards to that red splotch on his forehead. That thing is prominent. I always think there just isn't a helmet that can accommodate his giant dome so he uses the largest and has to squeeze it on. There isn't a hat either, it's why he prefers visors.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #91
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
This crap really bugs me. Anyone bothered to look at his arm before these surgeries? He has always had a wobbly ball.
A lot of people seem to forget that. Now the neck injury is the reason the balls are wobbly. I will say the speed of the ball has slowed down.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #92
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Have to agree with Simmons that Belichick will try to take away the underneath stuff and force PM to go to deeper throws. Will be interesting to see how it goes.
I want to see that myself. Everyone does.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #93
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
I want to see that myself. Everyone does.
Almost every team we've faced has been doing it...
Old 10-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #94
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Almost every team we've faced has been doing it...
I know. But, I want to see Manning throw it. Is his arm that bad where he's been neutered like Pennington. I shake my head when I see the Schaub deep ball throws because if Manning cannot throw the deep ball it really sucks.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #95
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I know. But, I want to see Manning throw it. Is his arm that bad where he's been neutered like Pennington. I shake my head when I see the Schaub deep ball throws because if Manning cannot throw the deep ball it really sucks.
Maybe... but I can think of several examples where our esteemed WRs just didnt catch the ****ing ball.

I'd lean towards that being a more dominant contributor towards the issue, though it's probably a little bit of both.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #96
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
A lot of people seem to forget that. Now the neck injury is the reason the balls are wobbly. I will say the speed of the ball has slowed down.
I would agree that velocity has been impacted, but it seems to improve week-by-week. Anytime I read an article however about how loose his spirals are however, I just scratch my head. It's like these guys never watched Manning play before.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #97
fwf

Simmons also bashed our running game 2 weeks ago.. Pats would love to have Mcgahee. Hope he goes off for 150 tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #98
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
he has a point in regards to that red splotch on his forehead. That thing is prominent. I always think there just isn't a helmet that can accommodate his giant dome so he uses the largest and has to squeeze it on. There isn't a hat either, it's why he prefers visors.
Oh, is that what that red spot is on his forehead. I always thought it was a huge birthmark.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #99
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

You know what's interesting about this thread? Not but 7 days ago, people were falling all over themselves to top it. People couldn't reply fast enough. And now, oddly enough, the opposite is true. So weird, right?

To recap, Bill Simmons said the following:

Quote:
SG: Couldn't agree more. Here's the part that everyone keeps forgetting about Sunday: Brady shredded Denver's defense 10 months ago. That defense is a little better this season, but not by much. So Denver needs to score 30-plus to win AND get some breaks to win. Seems farfetched. Throw in another breakout performance from star Patriots running back Branvan Boldley and I'm thinking 37-27, Patriots.
Now it's weird. Because I was told the following:

1) Bill Simmons is an overall hack.
2) Bill Simmons doesn't know the NFL at all.
3) Bill Simmons just hates the Broncos, period.

But how can all three of those things be true when Bill Simmons accurately predicted (1) the margin of victory by the Pats, (2) that the duo of Ridley and Bolden would have a great game, which they did with 200 combined yards rushing, and (3) was within 6 points on each team's point total?

That is so weird. I mean, right?

Last edited by RhymesayersDU; 10-07-2012 at 07:08 PM..
Old 10-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #100
menonite

Bill Simmons can eat a candy bar out of my ass.