The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Vickerson and Bannan filling void left by Ty Warren's absence.

Broncos filling void left by Ty Warren's absence

Sep. 20, 2012 6:45 PM ET

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) - The Denver Broncos were counting on Ty Warren to anchor their run defense after sitting out the previous two seasons with injuries.

That plan lasted all of five snaps before the veteran defensive tackle re-tore his right triceps in the opener and went on I.R., ending his season and likely his career.

Filling the void for the Broncos (1-1) are a beefed-up Kevin Vickerson, 11th-year pro Justin Bannan and Colorado native Mitch Unrein, a second-year pro who went undrafted out of the University of Wyoming.

"Tremendous," is how coach John Fox described their play, quickly adding the admonition that "we're two tests into a 16-test exam, but so far, so good."

The Broncos held the run-oriented Pittsburgh Steelers to 2.9 yards a carry in the opener and the Atlanta Falcons to 2.4 yards a carry.

They thwarted Steelers running back Isaac Redman (20 yards on 11 carries) and Falcons running back Michael Turner, who gained just 27 yards on 16 carries before a 15-yard scamper on his final carry.

New defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio was more interested in talking about the Houston Texans (2-0), who visit Denver on Sunday.

"Two games is too small of a sample," Del Rio said. "We've done a good job of starting the year, but this week coming up is a huge test and you'll learn more about us in that phase and us in general as we go through the year."

Texans running back Arian Foster has 189 yards and three TDs so far.

"They're one of the top rushing teams in the league, and we pride ourselves in stopping the run, so it's a good test for both of us," Vickerson said.

Foster was equally impressed with the Broncos.

"From what I've seen so far, they're one of the best defenses in the NFL," Foster said. "They're so quick. They're fast. They ran to the ball and they're just ... honestly, they're exciting to watch."

Vickerson is a load in the middle after adding 40 pounds to his 6-foot-5 frame in the offseason once Del Rio arrived and told him he needed to put on weight.

Vickerson now weighs 330 pounds, 30 more than Warren.

"Yeah, because a year ago with the lockout and everything, he came back and looked like a wide receiver," Fox quipped. "That's a little extreme, but he had lost a lot of weight. So, we just had to get him back ready to play what we're asking him to play and he's doing a great job with it."

Vickerson said the weight gain is paying off and so it's not too early to take pride in the job the Broncos' run-stuffers are doing.

"The first two games, that's what we put on tape. The preseason, that's what we put on tape, that we're going to play good against the run, that we're going to come out and establish our run defense," he said. "I don't think it's a misstatement, I mean, teams got to build something, right? That's how we started, that's how we're going to go."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...arrens-absence
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

keep it up and then we will pat you on the back.......seen thr bottom fall out of a so called good defense too many times around here.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Agreed - if we have a top-10 run defense by midseason then i may allow myself to get excited.....
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

It is certainly a good start. I also find it pretty interesting how good San Diego's defense is. Right now, they are the #1 rushing D, and third overall. It will be interesting to re-check all these stats at mid season (as mentioned).
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
It is certainly a good start. I also find it pretty interesting how good San Diego's defense is. Right now, they are the #1 rushing D, and third overall. It will be interesting to re-check all these stats at mid season (as mentioned).
Yea but the chuggers have played two cellar dwellars who werent able to run against their other opponent either. TEN has 20 rushing yards against the Pats and OAK had 23 rushing yards against Miami.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
"Two games is too small of a sample," Del Rio said. "We've done a good job of starting the year, but this week coming up is a huge test and you'll learn more about us in that phase and us in general as we go through the year."
love it, keeping it real
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

I love how they say that there was a void when technically he was never healthy enough in the regular season to fill it to begin with.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

I've been very pleased with the run defense, so far. The pass defense leaves something to be desired. Adams and Moore are clearly struggling with tackles in the open space. Some of us said that Tony Gonzalez would be a handful, and we turned out correct. I WISH we were wrong...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I've been very pleased with the run defense, so far. The pass defense leaves something to be desired. Adams and Moore are clearly struggling with tackles in the open space. Some of us said that Tony Gonzalez would be a handful, and we turned out correct. I WISH we were wrong...
Rahim Moore? Ummm, no. That's one of the few things he's consistently doing well.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Steelers are a run oriented offense? Maybe 5 years ago. The Falcons? Maybe 2-3 years ago. Both are pass first teams now.

We're facing a real run first team this week. It's going to be a major test against Foster, Tate, that OL and Kubes.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Technically speaking, wouldn't Ty Warren have had to actually have a sustained presence on the team to warrant an absence?
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

The Texans are a different type of running team than we have faced so far this season. Just sayin' (and stating the obvious)

I am really interested to see how our run defense performs against a running attack like the Texans. You would think the linebacker play is really important against a team like the Texans. It should be fun to watch!
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Technically speaking, wouldn't Ty Warren have had to actually have a sustained presence on the team to warrant an absence?
Ty Warren was projecting.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
keep it up and then we will pat you on the back.......seen thr bottom fall out of a so called good defense too many times around here.
just may have been lousy coaching in the past a lack of talent or 7 different schemes in the past 7 years..

But then prior to all the changes only a few years with decent defenses..

Lets hope taht with the advent of John E being in charge we will get some continuity in players, up grade some of them and no more scheme changes..

Having Vickerson lose all that weight the past couple of years is plain stupid he has a large frame and should use it..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #15
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk idiot kicker View Post
The Texans are a different type of running team than we have faced so far this season. Just sayin' (and stating the obvious)

I am really interested to see how our run defense performs against a running attack like the Texans. You would think the linebacker play is really important against a team like the Texans. It should be fun to watch!
if we say at home in the running lanes all should be good ..

They are ZBS team and it is not like most of this team has never practiced against it before..

Now it just becomes players doing their jobs..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
Rahim Moore? Ummm, no. That's one of the few things he's consistently doing well.
This! People really are not liking Moore for some reason! Most of the time, If the safety has to make the tackle in the run game that means the RB went pass the LB and the safety had to make the tackle 5 yards after the line of scrimmage.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
Agreed - if we have a top-10 run defense by midseason then i may allow myself to get excited.....
This too!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #18
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
This! People really are not liking Moore for some reason! Most of the time, If the safety has to make the tackle in the run game that means the RB went pass the LB and the safety had to make the tackle 5 yards after the line of scrimmage.
People are down on Moore for his coverage abilities much more so than his tackling. He looks to be improved all around from last year but still makes mistakes.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #19
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #20
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Bump.

It would have been interesting to see what a healthy Ty Warren could have brought to the table, but Vickerson is certainly filling the gap, with Bannan as a nice situational player and veteran presence.

Of all the players in the Carolina sack-fest yesterday, Vickerson was the only Bronco to record 2 sacks. Certainly it was a group effort, but his presence has been huge as both a run stopping force and a pocket collapser.

Go big Vick!!!
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #21
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Vickerson is playing himself into long term deal with this team. Still need another big body in draft at DT, but it looks like they have one starter at DT for next couple of years.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #22
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Yesterday was the most impressed I have been with this Defense in forever. I was actually enjoying watching them on the field more than the Offense.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #23
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
Yesterday was the most impressed I have been with this Defense in forever. I was actually enjoying watching them on the field more than the Offense.
They look like a Orange Crush sequel to me.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote