The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #3676
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
After looking at it, we would have been drafting #21 and #53, taking the place of the Bengals, with the worst record out of the teams who lost in the first round of the playoffs.

#21: The Patriots probably would have wanted to trade with us to get Chandler Jones at #21...in which case, we would have traded down in order to draft Derek Wolfe. I suppose there is a chance we would have drafted Brandon Weeden, but doubtful (we would have passed on Reiff and Decastro).

#53: We would have a choice between Devon Still, Ryan Broyles, Peter Konz, and Mike Adams. Would we have drafted Konz instead of Osweiler? Possibly, and that would be pretty sweet...but it sounds like Osweiler was the Broncos target, because we needed a back-up QB.
Look again

http://www.nfl.com/standings?categor...&split=Overall.

Number 17. And not sure about draft pick #2. As it moves around with tied teams..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #3677
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
If you are talking about Cooley, he does not have to clear waivers. You have kept mentioning this...please see below

Player with 3 or fewer years in the league = Waived, must pass through waivers

Player with 4 or more years in league= Released, contract eliminated, free agent

You don't think that Manning went through waivers do you?
Thanks was not aware of the new CBA. As for manning pretty sure he would have cleared waivers considering his injury and price tag..

I know I would not have taken him off waivers without knowing for sure he was fixed..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #3678
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaiy View Post
You keep saying that. Is every win that a team gets over another team with injuries considered a cheap win?
Actually yes. Not that I would not normally take one. But considering that everyone was excited about winning the game with about half of their starters not able to play IMO that is a cheap win and if I'm in the playoffs I'd like the wins to be legit.. Considering the next game coming up.. I'd like my team KNOWING they beat the best and knowing they could play with the big boys.. something we have not done since John retired..

But that is just me.. A player down here and there that is wear and tear.. Almost half the starters not according to Hoyle.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #3679
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Look again
"The selection order is based on each team's win-loss record in the previous season and whether the team reached the playoffs. Teams that did not reach the playoffs the previous season are ranked in reverse order of their records (so the team with the fewest wins is awarded the first selection). "

Non-playoff teams: 120
Eliminated in Wild Card round: 2124
Eliminated in Divisional round: 2528
Eliminated in Conference Championships: 2930
Super Bowl losing team: 31
Super Bowl champion: 32

If the Giants would have lost the Superbowl, they would have picked #31...not where the other 9-7 teams picked...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft#Rules_for_determini ng_draft_order
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #3680
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
"The selection order is based on each team's win-loss record in the previous season and whether the team reached the playoffs. Teams that did not reach the playoffs the previous season are ranked in reverse order of their records (so the team with the fewest wins is awarded the first selection). "

Non-playoff teams: 120
Eliminated in Wild Card round: 2124
Eliminated in Divisional round: 2528
Eliminated in Conference Championships: 2930
Super Bowl losing team: 31
Super Bowl champion: 32

If the Giants would have lost the Superbowl, they would have picked #31...not where the other 9-7 teams picked...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft#Rules_for_determini ng_draft_order

Thanks. I was told regardless of playoffs or not because we won we slipped from the rankings. To where we were..

Losing 8 slots..

I'd still like to see the rule in something that has more cred's than wiki.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #3681
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
...
It wasn't a cheap win, it was a top 10 moment in Broncos History.

Don't worry, after we kick the pee out of the Steelers in the opener, it will be all worth it.


If the Broncos didn't beat the Steelers in the playoffs, Manning probably wouldn't have picked us, because he would have thought we were too far away from winning the Superbowl. It's all good, my friend, GO BRONCOS!!
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #3682
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
It wasn't a cheap win, it was a top 10 moment in Broncos History.

Don't worry, after we kick the pee out of the Steelers in the opener, it will be all worth it.


If the Broncos didn't beat the Steelers in the playoffs, Manning probably wouldn't have picked us, because he would have thought we were too far away from winning the Superbowl. It's all good, my friend, GO BRONCOS!!
If that was the reason he picked us of SFO then he is dumber than dirt..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #3683
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
If that was the reason he picked us of SFO then he is dumber than dirt..
It had to factor in. Without the playoff win, I don't think we're in the equation...kinda like the Chiefs. I don't think he picked SF because Eli's in the NFC. Manning could have ended up in Houston or Tennessee.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #3684
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 19,501
Default

Bengals sign former Buccaneers center Jeff Faine

Faine is a 10-year veteran who has 117 career starts, including stints with the Cleveland Browns, New Orleans Saints and Tampa Bay

Is he any good? If so wonder if the Broncos even looked his way
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #3685
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,587

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Bengals sign former Buccaneers center Jeff Faine

Faine is a 10-year veteran who has 117 career starts, including stints with the Cleveland Browns, New Orleans Saints and Tampa Bay

Is he any good? If so wonder if the Broncos even looked his way
Once upon a time.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #3686
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I dont understand the fascination with obsessing over every player that gets cut should become a bronco. The percentages that we even get any of these players is minimal to zero.

What's even funnier was the bruhaha over whether or not the Broncos should try and land Manning.....some of clowns that thought it was stupid to try or even inquire about his interest to play for us are now clamoring for every stiff cut by some other team.

As for Cooley, he may or may not be past his prime or even any good...but if he can't play for the Redskins who finished 5-11 and in last place in their division, then what makes you think he can play here?

Last edited by errand; 08-29-2012 at 08:26 PM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #3687
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..
 
Jekyll15Hyde's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
What's even funnier was the bruhaha over whether or not the Broncos should try and land Manning.....some of clowns that thought it was stupid to try or even acquire about his interest to play for us are now clamoring for every stiff cut by some other team.

As for Cooley, he may or may not be past his prime or even any good...but if he can't play for the Redskins who finished 5-11 and in last place in their division, then what makes you think he can play here?
Its a question of what you believe... Is he injured? If yes, then pass... But if the reports are true that he wanted a starting role, and he really is healthy, I see no reason why he cant compete with Tamme
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #3688
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaiy View Post
That's the impression I was under.

Also, I don't care what draft positions were on the line. Who in the hell HOPES their team loses, period.
Exactly...regardless of how you feel about the coach, FO, certain players, etc....I cannot fathom anyone hoping we'd lose a game. Now they might predict we'll lose one...but surely never hope to lose one.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #3689
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
If you are talking about Cooley, he does not have to clear waivers. You have kept mentioning this...please see below

Player with 3 or fewer years in the league = Waived, must pass through waivers

Player with 4 or more years in league= Released, contract eliminated, free agent

You don't think that Manning went through waivers do you?
Orton has spent more than 4 years in NFL, and was waived this past season....and he was claimed by KC....or is your post about just during the offseason?

Ok on edit I found this...

As of 2008, according to the NFL collective bargaining agreement, if any waiver of a veteran player who has completed the season that gives him four years of service occurs between February 1 and the trading deadline in mid October, then that player shall be considered an unrestricted free agent by termination of his contract.

This must mean that if you're released between the trading deadline in mid October and February 1st, then you must clear waivers...

Last edited by errand; 08-29-2012 at 08:31 PM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:25 AM   #3690
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,053

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
This must mean that if you're released between the trading deadline in mid October and February 1st, then you must clear waivers...
Yes. Because they don't want any shenanigans during the season where poor teams dump players at the end of the year and the playoff teams put together dream teams for their playoff runs.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #3691
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,054
Default

The NFL has suspended Titans wide receiver Kenny Britt for one game, the Tennessean reported Thursday.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #3692
swaiy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Kenny Britt has been in trouble so many times. How in the hell did he just get 1 game?

I wonder what he'll get if convicted on that DUI
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #3693
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,054
Default

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...er-kevin-kolb/

Cardinals choose John Skelton to start opener over Kevin Kolb
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #3694
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
It had to factor in. Without the playoff win, I don't think we're in the equation...kinda like the Chiefs. I don't think he picked SF because Eli's in the NFC. Manning could have ended up in Houston or Tennessee.
Ok I can understand not wanting to pay your brother in the playoffs but is playing against him in the super bowl any better?
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #3695
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,939

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...er-kevin-kolb/

Cardinals choose John Skelton to start opener over Kevin Kolb
I bet the cards FO is feeling real good about paying Kolb a lot of money to warm the bench...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #3696
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,054
Default

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ellen-winslow/

Seahawks release Kellen Winslow
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #3697
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,054
Default

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jacksonville Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew has ended his 38-day holdout -- without a new contract.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #3698
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos_OTM's Avatar
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,341

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

ouch that had to have hurt
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #3699
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Wheres the thread for us to pick him up?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #3700
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer
 
R8R H8R's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Exiled in So. Cal.
Posts: 2,569

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Wheres the thread for us to pick him up?
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...kellen+winslow

R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Denver Broncos