The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #3651
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I dont understand the fascination with obsessing over every player that gets cut should become a bronco. The percentages that we even get any of these players is minimal to zero.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #3652
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
I don't really have a take on the Cooley deal one way or another, but we signed Keith ****ing Brooking who has yet to do anything in the preseason yet...I am not sure he has even had a practice.

Your argument is invalid.
Fair enough. I wouldn't be against signing Cooley, I just don't see it happening and I don't get the big draw to him that maners seem to have. Both him and Brooking would be lucky to make the final roster imo
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #3653
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,034

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Fair enough. I wouldn't be against signing Cooley, I just don't see it happening and I don't get the big draw to him that maners seem to have. Both him and Brooking would be lucky to make the final roster imo
I would rather just keep someone like Thomas and work on developing him myself, so I tend to agree with you.

We do have this amazing fascination with signing any free player though, it's awesome.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #3654
swaiy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I can see why the Redskins cut him. You don't pay $4M to a TE that's 2nd string but when you look at their depth, they look stupid.

Niles Paul was a WR coming out of college and they're trying to make him a TE. Apparently he's not doing well and they're trying to transition him to FB. Logan Paulsen? Dude is pretty much a blocking TE and Richard Quinn?

Now that i think about it, they had the 2nd pick in the draft. Maybe they'll pick up a TE on the waivers because as it stands, they probably would have been better off trying to restructure Cooley.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #3655
dictionary
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaiy View Post
I can see why the Redskins cut him. You don't pay $4M to a TE that's 2nd string but when you look at their depth, they look stupid.

Niles Paul was a WR coming out of college and they're trying to make him a TE. Apparently he's not doing well and they're trying to transition him to FB. Logan Paulsen? Dude is pretty much a blocking TE and Richard Quinn?

Now that i think about it, they had the 2nd pick in the draft. Maybe they'll pick up a TE on the waivers because as it stands, they probably would have been better off trying to restructure Cooley.
I honestly wouldnt be surprised to see Shanny swipe a blocking TE and possibly some linemen from us for depth.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #3656
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..
 
Jekyll15Hyde's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I dont understand the fascination with obsessing over every player that gets cut should become a bronco. The percentages that we even get any of these players is minimal to zero.
Its not every player. When there is a decent player cut a position that is generally regarded as one where we are lacking depth, we SHOULD be talking about it.

Gaffney is a good example since the WR depth is sparse after #2.
Same thing is going to be done if we see any decent LBs cut.
I came into this season thinking TE was in great shape but now I am not so sure. Tamme hasn't shown much and make you wonder if his single good season was an apparition. Dreessen was always going to be more in the blocking role relative to the other TEs. Julius Thomas likley is getting cut. Green has some potential but has a suspension. And Ingram hasnt shown enough yet and could likely be PS material. So for a QB like PFM who really likes to use the TE, why wouldnt it be smart to take a look. Downside is you get a guy who is hurt and you cut him and bring up Ingram/Thomas from the PS. Upside is you get the Cooley that has been one of the better pass catching TEs over the past several years, all while never having much at QB. That is a very palatable risk/reward scenario to me.

This is the time of the year where there are those veterans in the 1st cuts where the teams are trying to do them a favor to catch on somewhere else so these next few days are the peak of this.

But I agree that its unlikely we get any of them. If we do, I suspect its at WR, LB or TE. And maybe an outside shot of a veteran to replace Hanie.
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #3657
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,192

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Hard to tell if you are joking or not. I don't think you are being serious. What Broncos fan, or any fan for that matter, hopes his team loses a playoff game, or any game for that matter. The ONLY game you could even think about wishing to lose is if you were 1-13 or something and a loss would give your the 1st overall pick and somebody like Andrew Luck was sitting there waiting for you. But you're talking about losing a playoff game. That's insane dude. The only way you get one of these......

.......is to WIN playoff games to reach the Superbowl. Cmon dude.
Actually serious as a heart attack..

Had we been in a position to win the next week and we all know we were not then losing the game would have gotten us at least 8 earlier picks in each round.

Ifmyounreallynthink we had a chance to want e Super Bowl with Tebow and this team then trying to explain logic will be over your head..

I'd love to win playoff games IF it leads to going to the Super Bowl.

But alas We played a real team the next week that was unlike PIT that was at about half staff when they hit the third quarter..

I really dislike getting my ass handed to us in the playoffs and Just maybe this team this year will be able to do more,(barring injuries ) but as much as I loved seeing the Broncos play and win that was a hollow at best win and I suspect when the steelers come to play this year they will show their true colors.

I'd have rather lost a close playoff game to PIT and drafted earlier as well as not pissed them off for our opener.

I'm one of those fans that is looking for long term goals not a hollow cheap victory.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #3658
swaiy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

If we lost to the Steelers and they lost to the Patriots, would Pittsburgh have drafted in our spot and us in their's?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #3659
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,192

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Where were you when so called fans wanted to lose against the Vikings so we would end up 7-9 (we didnt know what subpar 8-8 was before this in a long time) and get a better Top 10 draft pick? Well, we ended up winning that game and picked #12. Instead of top 10 quality, we get that scrub Clady.

He was being serious. Our whole season was saved by that big victory. He is an idiot.
Frankly if you think our whole season was bed by a cheap win over a team that had about half their starters in the game near the end then I feel for you..

I've seen this team play for going on 52 years now and beating them in OT while it felt good at the moment it was not worth losing draft choices 8 or more and the upcoming ass kicking they will bring on opening day..
At hat is a proud team and knowing that DEN knocked them outof the playoffs. Gonna be a long day for you..
We will see who the idiot is at that point..

Hell we will not have at least two of our big guns on opening day due to injury and stupidity.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #3660
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,192

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaiy View Post
If we lost to the Steelers and they lost to the Patriots, would Pittsburgh have drafted in our spot and us in their's?
We would have drafted with the 8-8 teams rotating with them and then PIT would have been drafting where we did..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #3661
swaiy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I guess it doesn't matter. No one in the NFL gets paid to lose games to have a better draft position.

I think it worked in our favor to win a playoff game with a RB playing QB. I don't think PM would have came here if this team looked like total ass.

They got that far without a QB so I'm dying to see what they do with a HOF one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #3662
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,192

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I dont understand the fascination with obsessing over every player that gets cut should become a bronco. The percentages that we even get any of these players is minimal to zero.
Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a thread for every schmuck that gets cut with someone hyping the hell out of them like it would be a sure thing..

Most forget that they go through waivers and We would get them after 24 othe teams passes on them..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #3663
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 10,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
We would have drafted with the 8-8 teams rotating with them and then PIT would have been drafting where we did..
Correct me if I'm wrong, but instead of drafting #25 and #57, we would have drafted #24 and #56...in which we would have ended up with exactly the same draft picks (after trades).

No change...glad we won. The Tebow/DT OT touchdown was one of the greatest moments in Bronco history.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #3664
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 10,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
the upcoming ass kicking they will bring on opening day..

You think the Steelers are mad, and they're going to beat the Broncos on opening day, huh? I only have one thing to say to you...










GO BRONCOS!!!!
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #3665
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 8,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a thread for every schmuck that gets cut with someone hyping the hell out of them like it would be a sure thing..

Most forget that they go through waivers and We would get them after 24 othe teams passes on them..
Apparently some forget that any player that has been in the league at least 4 years doesn't go through waivers
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #3666
swaiy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but instead of drafting #25 and #57, we would have drafted #24 and #56...in which we would have ended up with exactly the same draft picks (after trades).

No change...glad we won. The Tebow/DT OT touchdown was one of the greatest moments in Bronco history.
That's the impression I was under.

Also, I don't care what draft positions were on the line. Who in the hell HOPES their team loses, period.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #3667
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,192

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
Its not every player. When there is a decent player cut a position that is generally regarded as one where we are lacking depth, we SHOULD be talking about it.

Gaffney is a good example since the WR depth is sparse after #2.
Same thing is going to be done if we see any decent LBs cut.
I came into this season thinking TE was in great shape but now I am not so sure. Tamme hasn't shown much and make you wonder if his single good season was an apparition. Dreessen was always going to be more in the blocking role relative to the other TEs. Julius Thomas likley is getting cut. Green has some potential but has a suspension. And Ingram hasnt shown enough yet and could likely be PS material. So for a QB like PFM who really likes to use the TE, why wouldnt it be smart to take a look. Downside is you get a guy who is hurt and you cut him and bring up Ingram/Thomas from the PS. Upside is you get the Cooley that has been one of the better pass catching TEs over the past several years, all while never having much at QB. That is a very palatable risk/reward scenario to me.

This is the time of the year where there are those veterans in the 1st cuts where the teams are trying to do them a favor to catch on somewhere else so these next few days are the peak of this.

But I agree that its unlikely we get any of them. If we do, I suspect its at WR, LB or TE. And maybe an outside shot of a veteran to replace Hanie.
Good logic. For the most part..
But think in this manner..

24 other teams have to pass on him before we would get him and IF we did then we would be on the hook for s contract as it stands..

Therefore more likely he will clear waivers and then try and make a deal with his best deal..

Most likely NOT in DEN because of the money crunch if they have any hope of tryiing to sign Clady this year..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #3668
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 8,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Good logic. For the most part..
But think in this manner..

24 other teams have to pass on him before we would get him and IF we did then we would be on the hook for s contract as it stands..

Therefore more likely he will clear waivers and then try and make a deal with his best deal..

Most likely NOT in DEN because of the money crunch if they have any hope of tryiing to sign Clady this year..
If you are talking about Cooley, he does not have to clear waivers. You have kept mentioning this...please see below

Player with 3 or fewer years in the league = Waived, must pass through waivers

Player with 4 or more years in league= Released, contract eliminated, free agent

You don't think that Manning went through waivers do you?
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #3669
swaiy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Apparently some forget that any player that has been in the league at least 4 years doesn't go through waivers
Just quoting this because people keep overlooking it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #3670
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,192

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but instead of drafting #25 and #57, we would have drafted #24 and #56...in which we would have ended up with exactly the same draft picks (after trades).

No change...glad we won. The Tebow/DT OT touchdown was one of the greatest moments in Bronco history.
No we would have drafted After the jets at #17 IIRC. And then rotaed with the other 8-8 teams between 13 and 21. For the rest of the draft..
http://www.nfl.com/standings?categor...&split=Overall
Yes that was one of the greatest pass in history but because of that we paid a price..

IMO not worth the win.. Considering the ass kicking we took the next week because that was not a playoff team..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #3671
swaiy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
If you are talking about Cooley, he does not have to clear waivers. You have kept mentioning this...please see below

Player with 3 or fewer years in the league = Waived, must pass through waivers

Player with 4 or more years in league= Released, contract eliminated, free agent

You don't think that Manning went through waivers do you?
I think he meant Gaffney but, you're still right. Gaff been playing forever lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #3672
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 10,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaiy View Post
That's the impression I was under.

Also, I don't care what draft positions were on the line. Who in the hell HOPES their team loses, period.
After looking at it, we would have been drafting #21 and #53, taking the place of the Bengals, with the worst record out of the teams who lost in the first round of the playoffs.

#21: The Patriots probably would have wanted to trade with us to get Chandler Jones at #21...in which case, we would have traded down in order to draft Derek Wolfe. I suppose there is a chance we would have drafted Brandon Weeden, but doubtful (we would have passed on Reiff and Decastro).

#53: We would have a choice between Devon Still, Ryan Broyles, Peter Konz, and Mike Adams. Would we have drafted Konz instead of Osweiler? Possibly, and that would be pretty sweet...but it sounds like Osweiler was the Broncos target, because we needed a back-up QB.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #3673
swaiy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Frankly if you think our whole season was bed by a cheap win over a team that had about half their starters in the game near the end then I feel for you..
You keep saying that. Is every win that a team gets over another team with injuries considered a cheap win?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #3674
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..
 
Jekyll15Hyde's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Good logic. For the most part..
But think in this manner..

24 other teams have to pass on him before we would get him and IF we did then we would be on the hook for s contract as it stands..

Therefore more likely he will clear waivers and then try and make a deal with his best deal..

Most likely NOT in DEN because of the money crunch if they have any hope of tryiing to sign Clady this year..
As 2KBack pointed out, I am generally talking about veteran players here so no waivers. Remember, there is no plan B. And I think the allure of playing on a team with PFM that they think they could bolster is a major reason why said example player would have Denver on the short list and maybe even take a slightly lesser contract.

The only 2 cuts that have caught my attention are Gaffney and Cooley. I will be very interested to see what shows up at LB.
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #3675
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 10,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
No we would have drafted After the jets at #17 IIRC. And then rotaed with the other 8-8 teams between 13 and 21. For the rest of the draft..
Not true man, ALL playoff teams draft later than teams who didn't make the playoffs...no matter their record.

We probably would have ended up with the same players...Wolfe and Osweiler.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:55 PM.


Denver Broncos