The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #3626
colorado jones
Pro Bowler
 
colorado jones's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 620

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
We all know that 24 other teams get to take players that are waived before we get to get them. So all the better cuts are going to wind up on NON playoff winning teams.

Just one more reason to lose that PIT playoff game instead of win it.
Are you part of the South Korean badminton team?
colorado jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #3627
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..
 
Jekyll15Hyde's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
He sucks and he is injured often
Really? 2x Pro Bowl, 1x All Pro and in 5 of the past 7 years he has hauled in ~70-80 rec for 700-800 yards, all with nothing to speak of at QB. You and I must have different definitions of 'he sucks.' You dont think a QB like PFM who loves the TE could use him?

Now the 2 times he didnt hit those numbers, he was injured so I buy the injury concern. BUT, If the report is true that his release wasnt about injury, and that is a big if, then absolutely he can compete with Tamme and Dressen, neither of whom have had a pro bowl year yet.

Last edited by Jekyll15Hyde; 08-28-2012 at 10:47 PM..
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #3628
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,209

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
We all know that 24 other teams get to take players that are waived before we get to get them. So all the better cuts are going to wind up on NON playoff winning teams.

Just one more reason to lose that PIT playoff game instead of win it.
Hard to tell if you are joking or not. I don't think you are being serious. What Broncos fan, or any fan for that matter, hopes his team loses a playoff game, or any game for that matter. The ONLY game you could even think about wishing to lose is if you were 1-13 or something and a loss would give your the 1st overall pick and somebody like Andrew Luck was sitting there waiting for you. But you're talking about losing a playoff game. That's insane dude. The only way you get one of these......

.......is to WIN playoff games to reach the Superbowl. Cmon dude.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #3629
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
Really? 2x Pro Bowl, 1x All Pro and in 5 of the past 7 years he has hauled in ~70-80 rec for 700-800 yards, all with nothing to speak of at QB. You and I must have different definitions of 'he sucks.' You dont think a QB like PFM who loves the TE could use him?

Now the 2 times he didnt hit those numbers, he was injured so I buy the injury concern. BUT, If the report is true that his release wasnt about injury, and that is a big if, then absolutely he can compete with Tamme and Dressen, neither of whom have had a pro bowl year yet.
Yeah all pro 7 YEARS AGO, and pro bowl is 07/08... big whoop
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #3630
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Yeah all pro 7 YEARS AGO, and pro bowl is 07/08... big whoop
Hey Smart guy, you do realize that he actually had an arguably better year in 2010 than in his last pro-bowl year, just didn't win the annual popularity contest. Beyond being a complete tight-end, he is considered a fantastic leader, teammate, and is incredible with the fans.

Educate yourself on a player before you make such in-depth analysis as "He sucks"
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #3631
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Hey Smart guy, you do realize that he actually had an arguably better year in 2010 than in his last pro-bowl year, just didn't win the annual popularity contest. Beyond being a complete tight-end, he is considered a fantastic leader, teammate, and is incredible with the fans.

Educate yourself on a player before you make such in-depth analysis as "He sucks"
Sure thing bud. You left out that he only played 7 games in 09 and 5 games in 2011. 6 TDs in the last 4 years WOW(!)

Too old, too expensive, and not needed



And he also sucks

Last edited by lolcopter; 08-29-2012 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: Dreessen had 6 TDs LAST SEASON
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:37 AM   #3632
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Sure thing bud. You left out that he only played 7 games in 09 and 5 games in 2011. 6 TDs in the last 4 years WOW(!)

Too old, too expensive, and not needed



And he also sucks
Too expensive? He doesn't have a freakin contract!

Too old? Aren't you the guy you freaked out about getting MJD because we are in win now mode? Because we have an All-pro QB who is Old, expensive, and was injured all of last year? Cooley is better than Tamme right now, Who has 5 CAREER TD's by the way. Dreesseen and Cooley are the same age and Dreesseen has never shown half the ability of Cooley.

Now....do you happen to have a rebuttal that involves facts or analysis?

Or are you going to stick with, he was hurt twice, and despite being a superior football player to both of our tight ends...he sucks?
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #3633
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

His last contract was for $3.8m. We just locked up Tamme and Dreessen for far less than that, but if you really think an oft-injured 30yo TE is needed for Peyton to run an efficient offense, then be my guest.

I don't think we need him, I don't want him. And in typical orange mane fashion, let's add some scrub but pass on truly elite talent at the RB position (because we're so stacked in that area too!)

Tamme lines up in the slot constantly and has history/rapport with Peyton, Dreessen is the inline blocker, and whoever the third TE we keep is, they'll be far cheaper than Cooley.

Last edited by lolcopter; 08-29-2012 at 06:44 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #3634
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
His last contract was for $3.8m. We just locked up Tamme and Dreessen for far less than that, but if you really think an oft-injured 30yo TE is needed for Peyton to run an efficient offense, then be my guest.

I don't think we need him, I don't want him. And in typical orange mane fashion, let's add some scrub but pass on truly elite talent at the RB position (because we're so stacked in that area too!)
and he got cut, you really think he is going to make 3.8 million?

If you can't see the difference between signing a probowl talent on the cheap (with no cost in draft picks or players) and trading away valuable resources for a top tier player that will want a top tier contract extension as well, not to mention based on the career spans of the 2 positions likely has the same number of effective years left in his career.... Then I don't know how to help you.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #3635
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

There has been no indication the broncos are even interested in Cooley, so it doesn't really matter what any of us think
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #3636
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
There has been no indication the broncos are even interested in Cooley, so it doesn't really matter what any of us think
Not in the grand scheme, but someone thought they would like to share that they thought Cooley would be a great cheap upgrade for us.

and then somebody apparently took offense and decided to dump on that player, yet without reasoned discussion.

They could have said....I would like to see how they guys we have perform. It's late in the preseason at this point, Cooley may not be a big enough upgrade to thrust him into the lineup without knowing the offense. Our current guys have a relationship with Manning now, I'd rather just stand pat.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #3637
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

If this board wasnt so damn predictable about wanting subpar players added to the team maybe I would have chosen my words better. Next time I'll be sure to be more politically correct when dumping on a washed up TE who was cut by a crappy team with a rookie QB, lest everyone get their panties in a bunch
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #3638
swaiy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I think Cooley would be a waste. The injuries have slowed him down alot. The guy isn't a scrub though. He's accomplished alot more than every TE on our roster but I think we are pretty set at the position.

If we lost a guy due to injury I'd def say sign him but I'm betting Cooley retires. Dude looked pretty hurt in his press conference that he won't be a Redskin anymore.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #3639
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaiy View Post
I think Cooley would be a waste. The injuries have slowed him down alot. The guy isn't a scrub though. He's accomplished alot more than every TE on our roster but I think we are pretty set at the position.

If we lost a guy due to injury I'd def say sign him but I'm betting Cooley retires. Dude looked pretty hurt in his press conference that he won't be a Redskin anymore.
He would probably come to Denver because it's closer to his hometown and where he went to College. He could probably be a cheap bandaid. I'm surprised NE didnt' sign him yet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #3640
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
He would probably come to Denver because it's closer to his hometown and where he went to College. He could probably be a cheap bandaid. I'm surprised NE didnt' sign him yet.
They just gave huge contracts to their 2 studs they already have.. why would they want Cooley?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #3641
swaiy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
He would probably come to Denver because it's closer to his hometown and where he went to College. He could probably be a cheap bandaid. I'm surprised NE didnt' sign him yet.
It's possible. Football is unpredictable as hell. If it came down to it and we needed him, I'd be for it.

As for NE, I'm starting to think they sign people for ****s and gigs
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #3642
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
He would probably come to Denver because it's closer to his hometown and where he went to College. He could probably be a cheap bandaid. I'm surprised NE didnt' sign him yet.
NE is stacked at that position, I don't see the draw for Cooley. I don't think he is a ring chaser. Honestly Swaiy may be right, Cooley was a Diehard Redskin, I could honestly see him retiring and working as a broadcaster locally.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #3643
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
NE is stacked at that position, I don't see the draw for Cooley. I don't think he is a ring chaser. Honestly Swaiy may be right, Cooley was a Diehard Redskin, I could honestly see him retiring and working as a broadcaster locally.
I was joking about NE but look at all the TE's they have signed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #3644
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I was joking about NE but look at all the TE's they have signed.
They do love tight ends...

...but who doesn't
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #3645
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 22,397

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Hard to tell if you are joking or not. I don't think you are being serious. What Broncos fan, or any fan for that matter, hopes his team loses a playoff game, or any game for that matter. The ONLY game you could even think about wishing to lose is if you were 1-13 or something and a loss would give your the 1st overall pick and somebody like Andrew Luck was sitting there waiting for you. But you're talking about losing a playoff game. That's insane dude. The only way you get one of these......

.......is to WIN playoff games to reach the Superbowl. Cmon dude.
Where were you when so called fans wanted to lose against the Vikings so we would end up 7-9 (we didnt know what subpar 8-8 was before this in a long time) and get a better Top 10 draft pick? Well, we ended up winning that game and picked #12. Instead of top 10 quality, we get that scrub Clady.

He was being serious. Our whole season was saved by that big victory. He is an idiot.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #3646
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
If this board wasnt so damn predictable about wanting subpar players added to the team maybe I would have chosen my words better. Next time I'll be sure to be more politically correct when dumping on a washed up TE who was cut by a crappy team with a rookie QB, lest everyone get their panties in a bunch
Not posting like **** isn't being politically correct. It just requires using that lump of soft tissue positioned between your ears a bit more.

When you arguments against a guy are:
1. "he sucks" when in fact the guy has made a couple pro-bowls and when healthy has still been an effective all around TE.
2. "too old" at 30 years of age when all we need is one season out of him.
3. "too expensive" when he doesn't have a contract and is likely to sign for the vet minimum.

You aren't being politically incorrect. You're just incorrect, which is entirely a product of your own ignorance.

Tamme hasn't looked very good this pre-season at catching the ball and he's never been a good blocker. Virgil Green is out for 4 games to start the year due to his suspension. By most all accounts both Thomas and Ingram have looked like dog **** all camp and pre-season. So that leaves us Dreessen as the only healthy and well rounded TE we can even put on the field.

We need a 3rd TE while we wait for Green to get healthy anyway, why let Thomas or Ingram get the job by default when a vet FA signing has higher upside AND a higher floor?
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #3647
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,115

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
They do love tight ends...

...but who doesn't
lol, you're a sick man.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #3648
canadianbroncosfan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I wasn't too sure about Cooley however I have to say that Drek and 2Kback have swayed me on this, I actually wouldn't be opposed to it and think it has more upside then down.

As for will it happen? Well probably not but there's also a 21 page thread about the unlikely possibility that MJD signs here. Is it the typical Mane? Yes, absolutely. And that's not a bad thing. I come here to read and write about football. This whole Cooley conversation has actually made some good points about how weak our Denver Broncos, the team we come here to discuss, may actually be at TE.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #3649
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Tamme has a bad preseason, he's worthless. Cooley has no preseason, let's sign him!

Knee injuries be damned! Who cares if he was only relegated to a blocking FB while still with the Skins? He was cut and will be lucky to be picked up by ANY team at this point.

Get off Cooley's jock, he is done, and would not make any worthwhile contribution to this team that would warrant a roster spot.

Last edited by lolcopter; 08-29-2012 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: inb4 the raiders sign cooley
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #3650
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,546

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Tamme has a bad preseason, he's worthless. Cooley has no preseason, let's sign him!

Knee injuries be damned! Who cares if he was only relegated to a blocking FB while still with the Skins? He was cut and will be lucky to be picked up by ANY team at this point.

Get off Cooley's jock, he is done, and would not make any worthwhile contribution to this team that would warrant a roster spot.
I don't really have a take on the Cooley deal one way or another, but we signed Keith ****ing Brooking who has yet to do anything in the preseason yet...I am not sure he has even had a practice.

Your argument is invalid.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:57 AM.


Denver Broncos