The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #476
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Players get cut ALL THE TIME while they are under contract. I will never ridicule a player for seeking more more if they outplay their contract because the first time they underplay it they will be cut.
When you cut a player that is under contract you still have to pay the man. It's not like cutting him voids the guaranteed money.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #477
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
When you cut a player that is under contract you still have to pay the man. It's not like cutting him voids the guaranteed money.
You only pay the signing prorated signing bonus. You do not pay the contract like Baseball and the NBA do.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #478
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Should Denver have kept Tebow and made him the backup RB?
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #479
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Should Denver have kept Tebow and made him the backup RB?
I'd negative rep you if I thought you weres serious!!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #480
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Yeah MJD is schedule to only make $4.5 million this year. I said earlier that Denver could sign him to a 4 year $30 million contract with $18 million signing bonues. Well, due to the situation he finds himself in I think you can even take those numbers down to a respectable 4 year $25 million and a $12 million signing bonus. That would take him down from 7.5 to $6.25 million and still be a raise from his current $4.5. Which, is grossly underpaid.
The thing is Jacksonville is not going to release MJD nor cut him. The Broncos will have to trade for him and that is the problem. There's no way he's worth a first round pick yet that is exactly what Jacksonville will expect.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #481
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
You only pay the signing prorated signing bonus. You do not pay the contract like Baseball and the NBA do.
I'm pretty sure you pay the "guaranteed" money, whatever that is. That's why it's called guaranteed because the team pays it no matter what happens. The Broncos under Shanny did this a lot, paying out "dead" money to players no longer on the team.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #482
Bacchus

Quote:
The thing is Jacksonville is not going to release MJD nor cut him. The Broncos will have to trade for him and that is the problem. There's no way he's worth a first round pick yet that is exactly what Jacksonville will expect.
Maybe, if MJD holds firm to his holdout they'll let him go for a 2nd. It's hard to predict his value now. I know on the Jaguar boards I was on they were saying no way they would get a 1st for him. THe longer this plays out the cheaper he will become.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #483
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Yeah MJD is schedule to only make $4.5 million this year. I said earlier that Denver could sign him to a 4 year $30 million contract with $18 million signing bonues. Well, due to the situation he finds himself in I think you can even take those numbers down to a respectable 4 year $25 million and a $12 million signing bonus. That would take him down from 7.5 to $6.25 million and still be a raise from his current $4.5. Which, is grossly underpaid.
Not sure he'll be as cheap as you think. He's looking to get another chunk guaranteed before he's too old to command top dollar. His last contract was frontloaded so he's averaged considerably more than $4.5 per year. Looks like he got $8 last year.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #484
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Not sure he'll be as cheap as you think. He's looking to get another chunk guaranteed before he's too old to command top dollar. His last contract was frontloaded so he's averaged considerably more than $4.5 per year. Looks like he got $8 last year.
Yeah he got $8 mill last year but this year he is gettign $4.5 and if the Jags do not budge Im sure he'd rather have $6.25 with a $12 million signing bonus from the Broncos over the $4.5 he will make from the Jags, if he shows up.

Players love those signing bonuses and I'm sure he'd love to deposit another $12 million into his bank account.

I do agree with you though it is all speculation. I just wish the Broncos would look into it and see what it would take.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #485
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Yeah he got $8 mill last year but this year he is gettign $4.5 and if the Jags do not budge Im sure he'd rather have $6.25 with a $12 million signing bonus from the Broncos over the $4.5 he will make from the Jags, if he shows up.

Players love those signing bonuses and I'm sure he'd love to deposit another $12 million into his bank account.

I do agree with you though it is all speculation. I just wish the Broncos would look into it and see what it would take.
Speculate? It's what we do.

Problem as I see it is if they really decide to move him, they'll probably have his agent shop around for the team most willing to pay him (and the Jags in picks)

So the comparison shouldn't be to what he's making this year. It's to what other teams would be willing to pay.

Hopefully we wouldn't be dumb enough to front-load another big contract for him now that he's only a few years away from his expiration date.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #486
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you pay the "guaranteed" money, whatever that is. That's why it's called guaranteed because the team pays it no matter what happens. The Broncos under Shanny did this a lot, paying out "dead" money to players no longer on the team.
The dead money Shanny dealt with was cap related and not payroll related. In other words, all that dead money counted against the cap in future years after guys were cut, but the actual money was already paid to the player before they were cut.

Most of today's "guaranteed" money that isn't paid upfront are specifically called "roster bonuses" and are only paid at certain dates in the future if they're still on the roster. Peyton Manning is all too familiar with those. If you get cut before then, you owe them nothing, like the Colts with Peyton.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #487
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Did people miss the ~30 yard catch down the sideline Ball made against the 49ers or something?
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #488
swaiy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Did people miss the ~30 yard catch down the sideline Ball made against the 49ers or something?
No, what about it lol?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #489
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Ashley Lelie made a few of those back in the day too.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #490
Bacchus

Quote:
It was 39 yards and people do not care what Ball does that is positive they know he sucks.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #491
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
It was 39 yards and people do not care what Ball does that is positive they know he sucks.
Full credit, that was a good play. Perfect throw more than anything though, it's not like Ball needed to make a great effort on the catch or run a precise route or anything.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #492
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Good point but, we already have a guys like that in Moreno and Hillman. I want a guy that can tote the rock for 30 plus yds which none of the backups have so far. Willis M. can but, would love another guy or two to make big plays from LOS.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 08-28-2012 at 12:17 PM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #493
lolcopter

Quote:
iyo
Old 08-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #494
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
iyo
perhaps, I guess we will see if the Lions make this trade. I mean, they are seeking to trade for a RB right?
Old 08-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #495
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Here's what you specifically said earlier:

Now you're saying this:

1st. No dump offs, not going to use them. Down the field guy.

2nd. Yes dump offs, controlled move the chains guy.

I don't mean to pick on you, but you do realize that these are COMPLETELY opposite statements, don't you?

You keep stating these 8-10 mil numbers as if it's a given. It's not. I guarantee you whatever contract he signs will be for no more than $6.5 per year, if he even signs a new contract. And with regard to the 2nd part of your statement, there are PLENTY of instances of guys not being paid by their current teams, yet getting paid elsewhere and performing well. Hell, there was a time not long ago when guys like Portis and Sharpe weren't shown the money by us. It had nothing to do with their performance. It's just that we budgeted so much to the position or whatever and wouldn't budge.
Guarantee huh ahahahahaha

He wants top RB money and that is not 6.5.

Besides to the best of my knowledge JAX has no intention of getting rid of him.. So this is all moot..

Going on Midnite here so nite nite..

FWIW sharpe was on the downside of his career by the time he left..

Poorti$$$$ just a greedy punk that even Mikey knew was a head case and going to be a locker room issue.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #496
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Guarantee huh ahahahahaha

He wants top RB money and that is not 6.5.
He can want it all he wants. He's not going to get it.

Quote:
FWIW sharpe was on the downside of his career by the time he left...
According to you, so is MJD.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #497
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I don't know why people are so down on Ball. He's been nothing but solid for us. He's like a Mike Anderson. He's not going to blow you away with his speed or moves, but what he will do is play solid, consistent football.
Him and mike bell both money inside the ten..

But but but they are slow they can't out run anyone.. BFD not there job.

This is a passing league yet no one wants to get it. You pass for first downs and an occasional TD but you run it inside the five unless you have NE's TEs.
Mike and Mike could do that even with our Mickey mouse OL..
Old 08-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #498
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
He can want it all he wants. He's not going to get it.

According to you, so is MJD.
Is has how many years in the league and Sharoe had how many HUGE difference.

As for not getting it your correct and I hope that John is not dumb enough to pay him. I'd rather go with youth and build the team that way..

Your guy wants to lead the league in yards which is not compatible with Manning.. Not sure why you do not get that..
Old 08-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #499
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
If a contract is guaranteed he gets that money. Period. Mostly it is paid up front but if not then he still gets that money..

As for it being prorated yes the remaining money is divided perhaps over two years but no more depending on when he is cut..
Old 08-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #500
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Is has how many years in the league and Sharoe had how many HUGE difference. ..
Does this read any better in English?

Quote:
Your guy wants to lead the league in yards which is not compatible with Manning.. Not sure why you do not get that..
It is very compatible. Not sure why YOU don't get that.

For the second time now, Elway and TD made it work, did they not?