The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 02:24 AM   #451
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
So, basically ignore Lonestar and the rest of us will talk sense of Broncos football? Sounds good!
Now I did not name him specifically, but You just know Peyton would love a great RB. Can you imigine getting up on a team like the 49ers 14-0 and then letting them have a dose of MJD and Willis McGhee mixed in with some more passes.

Just because you have a great RB doesn't mean you need to be a run heavy team. When Terrell Davis was here Elway would often start the game by throwing the ball and he would loosen up the defense for Terrell. Denver would get up 14-0 and then Davis would run for 150 yards putting the team away. Having a great RB will mean that Manning won't have to pass as much when Denver is in the lead. He also won't have to pass as much when the weather gets colder, which you know he is probably a little concerned about.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:21 AM   #452
Stuck in Cali

Is MJD wanting to win, or just get paid? If he wants to win we could get him at a decent price(modest contract, and what we would have to give up to make the trade). The guy signed a contract that was pretty front loaded if I remember correctly, now the last two years of it are not top dollar so he wants more.

I wouldn't want to see the team mortgage itself anymore than it already has. Especially on a RB with six years of wear on him, no time in our offence and no real training camp action right before the season is about to begin.

However if he wants to be part of something special and willing to take a contract that helps the team then go for it.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:49 AM   #453
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
To add on to my last point.....our RBs had 9 receptions against San Fran. Granted it was preseason, but I think it's safe to say that they're going to have a big role in our passing game under Manning this year.
Just saw this as I'm on German time it is now 1341.

Do I think we are going to use dump off passes.. YEP do we Ned to spend 8-12 million a year to do so? NO we have the horses right now to do just fine.

manning like s a controlled move the chains tempo something to keep the D on the field without breaks and doing it at Mile high well by the third quarter Mickey the mope could run and catch the ball..

While I agree he is a hell of a player we only have one football and more than enough hands to carry it or catch it..

Only can do so much..

would Manning like a the kid sure he would but not at the asking price and guaranteed money it would take away from fixing the numerous soft spots we have.

We have LB issues as well as Safety problems not to mention an up grade not just a fix on the OL but big pass protectors that can block for the run..

While RB is not a strong spot they are a dime a dozen. Remember the old days when Miley could take almost anyone and get yards. Not saying it is that easy but having a primier RB alnog with a HOF Qb and several outstanding WR and TEs just IMO is not the biggest need.

hell every position on the team needs quality depth.. start there..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:52 AM   #454
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
I don't disagree with you, it all starts with the O line but in this case there are no quality O linemen to go get. So you improve the area you can. MJD would be a good add if the price is right.
But the price is not right. We are close to the cap as it is.. Certainly can not afford 8-10 million a year on a RB with one hellll of a lot of miles on him not to mention the wear and tear..

If he was that great JAX would be giving it to them..
They know something y'all do not.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #455
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Of course what you say is true. When Peyton had a running game his team was most successful. Only idiots saythings like Denver does not need a great RB because Peyton won't want it or need it. That is silly. The question comes down to whether not Denver thinks it is afordable not whether it will hurt Peyton's feelings or any other hogwash.
Not sure that I have been clear. manning would love to have they IF he did not want to be paid top money.

Even Manning is not that dumb.. But manning throws the ball and if your going to pay this kid top money your going to run him a lot.. How is that going to help the team..

you get the HOF best QB in God only knows how long and ask him to hand the ball off..

I do not see it..

When there is other holes that money could be used for..
Old 08-28-2012, 05:27 AM   #456
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Here's what you specifically said earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Yes I do but manning has not a dump it off guy to the back in the past. He is a down the field guy his FORTE why should we pay TOP money for something we are not going to use.
Now you're saying this:

Quote:
Do I think we are going to use dump off passes.. YEP

manning like s a controlled move the chains tempo something to keep the D on the field without breaks
1st. No dump offs, not going to use them. Down the field guy.

2nd. Yes dump offs, controlled move the chains guy.

I don't mean to pick on you, but you do realize that these are COMPLETELY opposite statements, don't you?

Quote:
Certainly can not afford 8-10 million a year on a RB with one hellll of a lot of miles on him not to mention the wear and tear..

If he was that great JAX would be giving it to them..
They know something y'all do not.
You keep stating these 8-10 mil numbers as if it's a given. It's not. I guarantee you whatever contract he signs will be for no more than $6.5 per year, if he even signs a new contract. And with regard to the 2nd part of your statement, there are PLENTY of instances of guys not being paid by their current teams, yet getting paid elsewhere and performing well. Hell, there was a time not long ago when guys like Portis and Sharpe weren't shown the money by us. It had nothing to do with their performance. It's just that we budgeted so much to the position or whatever and wouldn't budge.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:32 AM   #457
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
But manning throws the ball and if your going to pay this kid top money your going to run him a lot.. How is that going to help the team..

you get the HOF best QB in God only knows how long and ask him to hand the ball off..

I do not see it...
You're right. How on Earth could handing the ball off to arguably the best running back in the league HELP a team?

And I take it you didn't watch much of the Broncos from 2006-2008, did you? I heard the rumor that those teams had a HOF QB that might've handed the ball off a few times. And he looked real p*ssed off about it too. I mean, why win games and extend your career by handing the ball off to to a top running back at a higher rate than when you were younger?
Old 08-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #458
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Now I did not name him specifically, but You just know Peyton would love a great RB. Can you imigine getting up on a team like the 49ers 14-0 and then letting them have a dose of MJD and Willis McGhee mixed in with some more passes.

Just because you have a great RB doesn't mean you need to be a run heavy team. When Terrell Davis was here Elway would often start the game by throwing the ball and he would loosen up the defense for Terrell. Denver would get up 14-0 and then Davis would run for 150 yards putting the team away. Having a great RB will mean that Manning won't have to pass as much when Denver is in the lead. He also won't have to pass as much when the weather gets colder, which you know he is probably a little concerned about.
There's a difference between being handed down a top-5 player by the football gods and looking at every position of need on your team and saying "Who are the Top 5 guys at that position? Here's the checkbook. Go get me one."

You can't build a perennial contender that way.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #459
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
And I take it you didn't watch much of the Broncos from 2006-2008, did you? I heard the rumor that those teams had a HOF QB that might've handed the ball off a few times. And he looked real p*ssed off about it too. I mean, why win games and extend your career by handing the ball off to to a top running back at a higher rate than when you were younger?
I mean I liked Cutty and Tatum just as much as the next guy, but you totally lost me here.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #460
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I mean I liked Cutty and Tatum just as much as the next guy, but you totally lost me here.
Jeezum, I blew that one obviously. Meant 96-98.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #461
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Jeezum, I blew that one obviously. Meant 96-98.
Yeah I know. It had to be said though.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #462
swaiy

Quote:
"He has shown the ability to run routes like a receiver out of the backfield," said Manning. "That's another weapon hopefully we can take advantage of this year to get the linebackers (and) safeties out on him."
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...5-e0c894a9b18b

Nothing to do with MJD but explains the fascination with Ball. Ugh.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #463
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaiy View Post
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...5-e0c894a9b18b

Nothing to do with MJD but explains the fascination with Ball. Ugh.
Ball had that big catch in the Niners game, whether we like it or not, he's pretty much a lock to make this team due to his solid but unspectacular RB abilities and his STs play.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #464
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I don't know why people are so down on Ball. He's been nothing but solid for us. He's like a Mike Anderson. He's not going to blow you away with his speed or moves, but what he will do is play solid, consistent football.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #465
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I don't know why people are so down on Ball. He's been nothing but solid for us. He's like a Mike Anderson. He's not going to blow you away with his speed or moves, but what he will do is play solid, consistent football.
I still think Mike Anderson doesn't get the respect he deserved
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #466
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

(1) We have more than enough cap room to sign Jones-Drew.
(2) Lance Ball isn't even close to being Mike Anderson. That comparison is a slap in the face to what Mike did here in Denver.
(3) Ignore Lonestar's takes on the Broncos. It's all negativity. Dude said Elvis Dumervil would never be anything in the league because of where he played and his size. Also said the same thing about Clady.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #467
Drunken.Broncoholic

Mike Anderson on a bad day >>> ball on his best day
Old 08-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #468
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

When Lance Ball is a OROY, has a couple thousand yard seasons, rushes for some scores and does a Mile High Salute, let us know! Dude has been on 4 NFL teams in his NFL career.

Hopefully we can get Eddie Lacy, Montee Ball or Knile Davis next year ~ round 2 so we can stop taking a chance with Lance.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #469
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Mike Anderson has more rushing yards in ONE game then Ball has his whole career.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #470
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'll be honest I respect how Khan is handling the situation... The dude is under contract so he should play it out. It's refreshing to see ownership not cave to the player's every wish (ala Cuban).
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #471
menonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
I'll be honest I respect how Khan is handling the situation... The dude is under contract so he should play it out. It's refreshing to see ownership not cave to the player's every wish (ala Cuban).

Exactly. It's only fair since owners always honor contracts. You never see players getting cut due to injury or performance. Right, Peyton?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #472
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Just don't see the comparison. Mike Anderson if you cut off his right foot would still have more explosiveness across 10-15 yards than Lance Ball.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #473
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Was it 2005 That Anderson was the only back in the league without a carry for negative yardage?
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #474
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
Players get cut ALL THE TIME while they are under contract. I will never ridicule a player for seeking more more if they outplay their contract because the first time they underplay it they will be cut.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #475
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
(1) We have more than enough cap room to sign Jones-Drew.
(2) Lance Ball isn't even close to being Mike Anderson. That comparison is a slap in the face to what Mike did here in Denver.
(3) Ignore Lonestar's takes on the Broncos. It's all negativity. Dude said Elvis Dumervil would never be anything in the league because of where he played and his size. Also said the same thing about Clady.
Yeah MJD is schedule to only make $4.5 million this year. I said earlier that Denver could sign him to a 4 year $30 million contract with $18 million signing bonues. Well, due to the situation he finds himself in I think you can even take those numbers down to a respectable 4 year $25 million and a $12 million signing bonus. That would take him down from 7.5 to $6.25 million and still be a raise from his current $4.5. Which, is grossly underpaid.