The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #326
Fight_On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I heard a commentary that Palmer's game (the long ball) does not jibe with the new offensive coordinator's system, is this true? That is, Palmer works great in the old offensive system that Al Davis liked so much (big chunks of yardage on pass plays, speedy WRs that can stretch the field, old school stuff) but not so much with the dink and dunk type of offense the new OC is running.

what say you?
It looks like they used the PS to experiment to see what CP can do in the new O. CP is more of a pocket passer than a roll out QB. As I said before, DMC is the bread and butter of the O not the passing....the opposite is so in Denver.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #327
Fight_On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
whats the deal with renaldo mcclain? I thought he had to serve 6 months in prison and he is playing in preseason?
Case has yet to go to court
Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #328
Bacillus Anthracis

Quote:
I heard a commentary that Palmer's game (the long ball) does not jibe with the new offensive coordinator's system, is this true? That is, Palmer works great in the old offensive system that Al Davis liked so much (big chunks of yardage on pass plays, speedy WRs that can stretch the field, old school stuff) but not so much with the dink and dunk type of offense the new OC is running.

what say you?
As for chucking it downfield, it looks like we're still going to do that but a lot less often. But in every game so far, Palmer's thrown the long ball at least once, so it's still there.

Where Palmer really doesn't fit the system is with the rollouts that our OC likes to run. Palmer's a pure pocket passer and hasn't ever really made a habit of throwing on the run; and it shows. As far as I understand it, the bootleg should pose some kind of threat for the quarterback to run, thereby freezing the defenders for long enough for the receivers to get open. But Palmer presents no serious threat to run with the ball so even if he does rollout, defenses can safely ignore the threat.

But in preseason, we've moved the ball well between the 20s. It's our redzone offense that's been horrible. While you can't predict too much based on preseason, there are tendencies that can be identified when they're obvious enough, and that's the biggest one. It was the same with the defense last year. In preseason they got their asses kicked up and down the field in every game and that continued into and throughout the regular season.

Going back to Palmer, he's always going to throw a bonehead interception at some point. This season it's going to be a matter of how much the defense can limit the damage after the picks occur.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #329
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus Anthracis View Post
As for chucking it downfield, it looks like we're still going to do that but a lot less often. But in every game so far, Palmer's thrown the long ball at least once, so it's still there.

Where Palmer really doesn't fit the system is with the rollouts that our OC likes to run. Palmer's a pure pocket passer and hasn't ever really made a habit of throwing on the run; and it shows. As far as I understand it, the bootleg should pose some kind of threat for the quarterback to run, thereby freezing the defenders for long enough for the receivers to get open. But Palmer presents no serious threat to run with the ball so even if he does rollout, defenses can safely ignore the threat.

But in preseason, we've moved the ball well between the 20s. It's our redzone offense that's been horrible. While you can't predict too much based on preseason, there are tendencies that can be identified when they're obvious enough, and that's the biggest one. It was the same with the defense last year. In preseason they got their asses kicked up and down the field in every game and that continued into and throughout the regular season.

Going back to Palmer, he's always going to throw a bonehead interception at some point. This season it's going to be a matter of how much the defense can limit the damage after the picks occur.
I saw Palmer scramble in one preseason game this year and I thought he did pretty good. He may not like to do that but he can do it IMHO.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #330
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Manning has 3 INT's and 0 TD's. Man you're dumb.
5>3 You ****ing moron.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #331
Bacillus Anthracis

Quote:
I saw Palmer scramble in one preseason game this year and I thought he did pretty good. He may not like to do that but he can do it IMHO.
I'll put it this way: on Saturday, Palmer threw the ball 26 times in the first half. Not one time was there a designed rolllout. I'm more referring to that than him tucking the ball away and getting a few yards.

He can scramble, he's not in a wheelchair, but in terms of the effectiveness of the bootleg that this system likes to employ, he doesn't run it very well. We also don't seem to block for it very well either. It's mostly been a mess every time. So it appears that Greg Knapp has adjusted to that and is calling plays that play to Palmer's strengths as a pocket passer.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #332
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:

Stanzi stood no chance to beat out Quinn

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...beat-out-quinn

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #333
DontBeMessin
Ring of Famer

Quote:

what say you?
This is correct. Palmer is not too happy with the new offense because it doesn't fit him...
DontBeMessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #334
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontBeMessin View Post
This is correct. Palmer is not too happy with the new offense because it doesn't fit him...

That's why Leinart will be the starter by midseason.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #335
Bacillus Anthracis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
That's why Leinart will be the starter by midseason.
I've never heard that Palmer is unhappy with the system. At times he's referred to the idea that it's a work in progress but never that he was unhappy about it. It would have been better for all involved had we just kept Al Saunders as OC, but management chose to clean house absolutely, even getting rid of our solid ST coach. That's gonna bite us.

Anyway, it's not out of the question that Palmer ends up getting replaced by Leinart but I tend to think that won't happen. Our running game will be good and so far pass protection seems solid. And if most of our wideouts are healthy, it'll be difficult for Palmer play so poorly that he gets benched.

If the offense fails it'll be on the playcalling and therefore Greg Knapp. We had a good system in place that worked well so if production falls off, especially with a healthy team, it'll likely point more to failures in coaching and playcalling than any one player.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #336
Fight_On!

Let's get one thing straight....CP is not the focus of this O....this O lives and dies on the legs of DMC. Yes a huge price was spent to bring in CP....but the price was not spent by this new leadership....for now....they have to make it work. Comparing Manning to CP....there is no comparison, Manning is FAR better. The Raiders don't need CP to be a Manning, just solid and compliment DMC's running game. CP's game is not trash, and going by what he did last year is not a good measuring stick. Last year, CP literally came off the couch.....7 games into the season....with key players out on O and learning a play book on the fly... The Raiders nearly made the playoffs. CP should have a solid season....if he does.....and if DMC stays healthy....the Raiders could be dangerous.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #337
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Since Jacoby Ford and Denarius Moore are inury prone (As are all the raiders skill position players) and can't stay healthy the raiders are forced to sign Roscoe Parrish.

Palmer is clearly struggling in Greg Knapps dink and dunk offense. Not to mention his zone blocking scheme has stymied McFadden on the goaline. Stuffed twice and fumbled once.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...oscoe-parrish/

Old 08-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #338
Fight_On!

Quote:
Since Jacoby Ford and Denarius Moore are inury prone (As are all the raiders skill position players) and can't stay healthy the raiders are forced to sign Roscoe Parrish.

Palmer is clearly struggling in Greg Knapps dink and dunk offense. Not to mention his zone blocking scheme has stymied McFadden on the goaline. Stuffed twice and fumbled once.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...oscoe-parrish/

I have read the article before, I do not deny his struggles at the moment. They have had struggles punching it.....but they did this past Saturday.It wasn't a fumble. So stop beating around the bush....your point is.....?

Last edited by Fight_On!; 08-27-2012 at 11:25 PM..
Old 08-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #339
canadianbroncosfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight_On! View Post
I have read the article before, I do not deny his struggles at the moment. They have had struggles punching it.....but they did this past Saturday.It wasn't a fumble. So stop beating around the bush....your point is.....?
Don't bother, Bronco Rob can only rebut if he can find an article to link to his point.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #340
Fight_On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbroncosfan View Post
Don't bother, Bronco Rob can only rebut if he can find an article to link to his point.
I see
Old 08-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #341
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight_On! View Post
It looks like they used the PS to experiment to see what CP can do in the new O. CP is more of a pocket passer than a roll out QB. As I said before, DMC is the bread and butter of the O not the passing....the opposite is so in Denver.
Can U abbr. this any more?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:18 AM   #342
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbroncosfan View Post
So you do not like the fact that Bronco Rob posts Broncos articles?

I love reading his posts and articles. Keep up the good work Rob, I appreciate it.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #343
Fight_On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Can U abbr. this any more?
Glady.....BCJ.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #344
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
So you do not like the fact that Bronco Rob posts Broncos articles?

I love reading his posts and articles. Keep up the good work Rob, I appreciate it.
Yeah I have never understood the Bronco Rob hate...
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #345
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Stanzi stood no chance to beat out Quinn

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...beat-out-quinn

Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #346
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
Yeah I have never understood the Bronco Rob hate...
I don't get it either. For a lot of us, I think its nice that he is always pulling articles that we might not otherwise look at. Also, if you're not interested in an article, its easy enough to just not read it or skip over a Bronco Rob post.

Keep it up Bronco Rob!
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #347
Bacillus Anthracis

Quote:
He's not struggling. That's a mischaracterization of what's going on. It's like I said before, the passing game is a work in progress and at times it shows. But in terms of moving the ball down the field, the Raiders aren't having any problems. There have been some timing issues between quarterback and receiver but that's to be expected at this point.

Palmer went 17/26 on Saturday and had 3 passes dropped. He had one bonehead interception and two or three other throws were poorly thrown. That's not exactly what anyone would call "struggling". The timing and communication isn't all the way there yet, but it's safe to say that it'll get better.

Also, as I said before, the real struggle that is occurring is in the redzone; or more accurately, deep in the redzone. And for a new system, that's not atypical. With some focus, it should be fixable.

One more thing; the defense looks good. It will be vastly improved over last year. Every D has a collapse here and there but this season there won't be epic collapses on a regular basis like last year. For example, in our final three games the D gave up 90+ yard TD drives in the last 5 minutes of each of those games. That won't happen this year.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #348
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

As expected, punt returner Roscoe Parrish, who was cut by the Chargers on Monday and quickly signed by the Raiders, was cut after he fumbled two punts Thursday at Seattle.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...own-analysis-2

Old 08-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #349
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus Anthracis View Post
He's not struggling. That's a mischaracterization of what's going on. It's like I said before, the passing game is a work in progress and at times it shows. But in terms of moving the ball down the field, the Raiders aren't having any problems. There have been some timing issues between quarterback and receiver but that's to be expected at this point.

Palmer went 17/26 on Saturday and had 3 passes dropped. He had one bonehead interception and two or three other throws were poorly thrown. That's not exactly what anyone would call "struggling". The timing and communication isn't all the way there yet, but it's safe to say that it'll get better.

Also, as I said before, the real struggle that is occurring is in the redzone; or more accurately, deep in the redzone. And for a new system, that's not atypical. With some focus, it should be fixable.

One more thing; the defense looks good. It will be vastly improved over last year. Every D has a collapse here and there but this season there won't be epic collapses on a regular basis like last year. For example, in our final three games the D gave up 90+ yard TD drives in the last 5 minutes of each of those games. That won't happen this year.

Palmer isn't struggling? What do you call completing less than fifty nine percent your passes throwing four picks and zero touchdowns is called?

Even the "nations" own fishwrap is calling him out

Carson Palmer: Ready or Not for 2012?

http://raidernationtimes.com/article.php?id=9185
Old 08-31-2012, 09:36 PM   #350
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
I thought it was 2 INT's and 1 TD for Manning this year, Peyton, not Eli.

Maybe I read the wrong thing.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote