The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #151
Bacchus

What does it do for Denver's chances of a SB if the Pats go and trade for MJD? Any chance they have now is gone.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #152
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Rant sports

NFL Rumors: Denver Broncos to Trade For Maurice Jones-Drew?

The Denver Broncos already made the move of the offseason when they acquired free agent Peyton Manning. Now NFL rumors are swirling surrounding the potential landing spot for Jacksonville Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew and Denver is rumored to be interested.
MJD is in the midst of a holdout due to a desire for a new long term contract. Jaguars owner Shad Khan is not giving in and even offered a statement hinting that Jones-Drew could get traded.
“Train is leaving the station. Run, get on it” Khan said in regards to their hard-lined approach to MJD’s contract
As you can imagine, several teams have expressed interest in acquiring MJD and the Broncos might be one of those teams. It wouldn’t be too far of a stretch to see John Elway make a move to get Jones-Drew. Manning needs a solid running game, and although they already have Willis McGahee, if the league’s reining rush leader is up for grabs you have to at least see if it’s plausible.

In June, the Broncos were said to have $11.7 million left in cap space so they have the capability of luring MJD. He would come at a high price tag but there is the potential to negotiate a lower contract but load it with easily reachable incentives and a bonus after one season in order to work with the Broncos current salary cap.
That now leads us to who the Broncos would be willing to trade. First name that comes to mind would be RB Knowshon Moreno. Denver has not been pleased with the way Moreno has performed in his first few seasons with the team. He was obviously dealing with injuries but he’s had some off-the-field issues as well but the Broncos wouldn’t mind parting ways with the former Georgia product. Linebacker DJ Williams is also another possibility in a trade scenario due to his non-football drama. Williams has been a good player but the front office may be fed up with his antics off the field and would be willing to let him go.

Even if everything worked out and the Broncos were able to trade for MJD what would that mean for McGahee? It would most likely mean his departure as well. McGahee re-signed with the Broncos this offseason because he viewed Denver as the place where he knew he would be able to start. I don’t think he would be happy to be the No. 2 running back again behind Jones-Drew if he was brought in.

As for now, Jones-Drew is still under contract with the Jaguars and the team has said they are unwilling to trade him. Until he signs a contract or the team officially places him on the trading block, all the reports should just be taken as rumors and speculation.

http://www.rantsports.com/redzonetal...ce-jones-drew/
Don't agree that mcgahee would be an automatic departure, but sign me up for everything else
Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #153
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
TD was one in a million. We had a wicked oline that kept paving the way for 1000 yard rushers on a consistent basis. Look TD was a draft steal, if we happen to stumble upon a rb like that... I'll be stocked (used to be a huge Portis fan). It's just a huge risk investing a 1st on a rb with so much wear on the wheels, plus, we would have to pay him AP and CJ tipe money.

Anyway... back on track. What do you think is a better recipe for success for an offense. An elite RB or a great OL? Look what happened in SEA when they had that awesome OL. They made Shaun Alexander look like a HoF for a couple of years. They then lost Hutch and Shaun Alexander turns into... well... Shaun Alexander. That same Hutch goes on to Min as the missing piece to an OL that makes AP blow into the scene. Ever since that Oline started to fall apart AP hasn't been able to put up the same numbers he did in his first 2 years. AP is an Elite talent that is still able to overcome his teammates flaws... but look how many times and how hard their QBs have been hit.

A great Oline is way more important than an Elite RB.
I didn't realize that it was Hutchinson's absence that caused Alexander to break his foot and wrist.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #154
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Yes, but this decision isn't a hypothetical on paper thing. We know who the RB is that we can acquire. Do you have the Olinemen that we can acquire now to achieve teh "top OLine" billing?

MJD is UNQUESTIONABLY a top 5 running back in this league. We need AT LEAST TWO awesome OLinemen to get a top 5 ranked OLine. One to take Walton's place and one to take Beadles'. Are any of the top 5 guards and centers in the league available for trade right now? If so, I'd love to hear it.
Hey I would take MJD in a heart beat! I just wouldn't pay a 1st for him. He is a RB going on his 7th season. He has been a workhorse all his life. Too much wear on those legs. Now... next draft depending on our need and BPA we could target OL in the first. We don't need to trade the pick to get a great talent, we just need good scouting and good drafting.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #155
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Looking back at the Super Bowl winners over the last few years, I don't see many great running games. Wasn't Rogers getting sacked a lot? Patriots certainly didn't have much run game. Giants were one of the worst last year. If I remember colts didn't have too much a threat. Can't remember if the saints did their year. I do see a passing QB correlation with all these winners. So an Oline makes it worth up by protecting these QBs.
2011 NYG: 5th RB, 31st OL
2010 GB: 10th RB, 15th OL
2009 NO: 3rd RB, 4th OL
Old 08-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #156
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
I didn't realize that it was Hutchinson's absence that caused Alexander to break his foot and wrist.
Well his first season after Hutch left and he signed that huge contract, he wasn't doing that great until he broke his leg early in the season. He came back and didn't do so great except for 1 game. The next season he breaks his wrist and when he comes back loses one of his best blockers in FB Mack Strong and his decline is evident. But you are right... Hutch absence didn't cause him to break his foot, but running to the leftside (his bread and butter) was no longer the same.

Plus, look at Alexander's career as a case worth comparing to MJD. Alexander like MJD was a workhorse that putted up great stats. In his 7th season he signs a huge contract only to have it ripped apart 2 years later because of wear and tear. It's just to risky sending a 1st and signing a 7th year RB to a huge extension. Prefer to keep the pick and keep building the trenches (OL or DL).
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #157
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
2011 NYG: 5th RB, 31st OL
2010 GB: 10th RB, 15th OL
2009 NO: 3rd RB, 4th OL
How can the giants be ranked 5th when they ranked dead last in yards rushing? 1427 yards was the lowest in the league.

2010 green bay had 1606 yards rushing. That's not 10th.
2009 NO was ranked 6th not 3rd.

What are you basing the ranks on?

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 08-22-2012 at 11:35 AM..
Old 08-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #158
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
What does it do for Denver's chances of a SB if the Pats go and trade for MJD? Any chance they have now is gone.
It's that kind of thinking that led us to draft Knowshon at 12, as the rumor was Josh was worried about San Diego wanting him at 15.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #159
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
How can the giants be ranked 5th when they ranked dead last in yards rushing? 1427 yards was the lowest in the league.

2010 green bay had 1606 yards rushing. That's not 10th.
2009 NO was ranked 6th not 3rd.

What are you basing the ranks on?
PFF ratings. It's not just rushing, it takes into account receiving, blocking, and penalties as well. That's why it fits a pro-MJD argument so well. He's great at all those things.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #160
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
It's that kind of thinking that led us to draft Knowshon at 12, as the rumor was Josh was worried about San Diego wanting him at 15.
That would have been awesome.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #161
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Don't agree that mcgahee would be an automatic departure, but sign me up for everything else
I call BS on McGahee not being pleased with MJD coming to DEN in a hypothetical trade.
The guy is 30 and wants more SBs just as bad as Peyton.
I think Mcgahee more than almost any other player on the team would understand that he would still get alot of carries, and most teams have 2 capable backs today anyways.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #162
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
PFF ratings. It's not just rushing, it takes into account receiving, blocking, and penalties as well. That's why it fits a pro-MJD argument so well. He's great at all those things.
Gotcha. Thought it was just rushing ranks
Old 08-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #163
Drunken.Broncoholic

Has Del Rio said anything? Or the FO? I just see this article about broncos being interested as a the foundation of a rumor
Old 08-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #164
*WARHORSE*
GNASHING OF TEETH

Let the heads roll.........

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lombardi III

MJD would bring 5.5 ypc in this offense.

If he leads the league in rushing with Plain Gabbert under center, what in the world does he look like with Peyton Manning?

I'll tell you.

He looks like a photo op with the Lombardi in his hands.
*WARHORSE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #165
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Has Del Rio said anything? Or the FO? I just see this article about broncos being interested as a the foundation of a rumor
Nope, it's all just rumor.

A very mean one if it's not true.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #166
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
I totally forgot about the JDR angle.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #167
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I totally forgot about the JDR angle.
That was the only reason i 1st though it might be more than a rumor.
Hopefully JDR has been on his celly convincing MJD to come to Mile High!
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #168
jerseyboiler120

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
That was the only reason i 1st though it might be more than a rumor.
Hopefully JDR has been on his celly convincing MJD to come to Mile High!

That would be nice. Hopefully they got along well; if MJD can't stand JDR there's no chance.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #169
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If you can swing this deal you do it ASAP Elway! Give up a '13 2nd and an option '14 pick based upon playing time. Pay MJD for 3-4 more years as a top 5 back and be happy all day every day.....
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #170
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
If you can swing this deal you do it ASAP Elway! Give up a '13 2nd and an option '14 pick based upon playing time. Pay MJD for 3-4 more years as a top 5 back and be happy all day every day.....
I think if you could swing the deal without giving up a 1st rounder you jump at it.

2013 2nd rounder, D.J., Moreno, and even a 2014 3rd rounder if necessary.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #171
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Again, not names, but performance. Also, when did it become bad for an RB to catch the ball? That's part of the reason I want MJD.
And I'd argue we could finish top 10/ top 5 without MJD in RB performance, and these ratings seem retarded to me to be honest but whatever.

You're kind of proving the point we don't need MJD to win a Super Bowl though. You don't need an elite RB, just solid, capable guys and thats what we have.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #172
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Our running backs seem to always be injured or on the verge of getting hurt every week. Sure would be nice to have a proven work horse like MJD in the stable. Hope John takes a solid look at this.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #173
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

$$$$$$$$$$$$ won't happen
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #174
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
And I'd argue we could finish top 10/ top 5 without MJD in RB performance, and these ratings seem retarded to me to be honest but whatever.

You're kind of proving the point we don't need MJD to win a Super Bowl though. You don't need an elite RB, just solid, capable guys and thats what we have.
Of course you don't NEED any one specific thing to win a super bowl, they have been won by teams of all types. Getting vastly better at key positions can only help, though. I will say there's no way we finish top 10 in RB rating if we just have the guys currently on the roster.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #175
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post

You don't need an elite player at any specific position to win the Super Bowl.

You do however need a few elite players in your squad, and MJD would give us that. At the moment we don't have any proven elite players on offence outside of Peyton, we could do with one.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote