The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #101
lolcopter

Would love this pickup, finally an acquisition that makes sense on th Mane
Old 08-22-2012, 06:36 AM   #102
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
not sure if he provides a huge production increase over willis and our other RBs (specifically hillman if he pans out at all)
lol

MJD is still a top 5 back, he's carried that pathetic jags team for years. Add onto that Willis' age and lack of catching out of the backfield, MJD and WM would be a deadly 1-2 punch

Ball, Moreno, and the other scrubs couldn't hold MJD's jock
Old 08-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #103
lolcopter

And what better way to ease manning back into a full NFL season than by giving him an elite bruising RB who has a proven ability to carry the load. As previously mentioned, if mcgahee goes down for any significant amount of time, we're screwed in the backfield.

It's a long shot that Jacksonville even goes through with this, but with the way we've been wasting 1st round picks lately, I'd give up a late 1st rounder for MJD in a heartbeat (the only 1st rounder worth a crap to us lately was cutler and now chi is reaping those rewards)

And lmao at everyone worrying about contract $$$ and such, grab another cold one from the fridge and let the professionals figure it out

Last edited by lolcopter; 08-22-2012 at 07:01 AM..
Old 08-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #104
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
This is an outstanding post, it conveys exactly how I feel.

Ironically I suggested this type of move a few months ago on here for a younger almost identical type of back in Matt Forte. And I was told I was building a dream team or to turn Madden off, yet many like this idea... Funny
Telling you to turn Madden off doesn't necessarily mean they don't like the idea. Just that they don't think it's realistic.

And some people aren't sure it's great to make a huge investment in an Elite RB nearing the end of his productive years while there are so many questions on our OL's runblock ability.

For what you'd pay for MJD you could make several significant upgrades to OL for the next few years. And that helps Peyton and the running game at the same time.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #105
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Do it

LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #106
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
For what you'd pay for MJD you could make several significant upgrades to OL for the next few years. And that helps Peyton and the running game at the same time.
Yes, but who is going to run the ball? Willis is 30, Knowshon sucks, hillman hasn't seen the field, and we traded tebow to NY
Old 08-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #107
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Yes, but who is going to run the ball? Willis is 30, Knowshon sucks, hillman hasn't seen the field, and we traded tebow to NY
And Pocket Hecules catches outta the backfield, and can block in pass protect better than any of the current RBs on the DEN roster.
He would play a ton and cause all kinds of problems for opposing defenses, all the while making the O-line better by simply being a superior runner, and helping in the pass protection schemes for Manning.
MJD would be a monster upgrade.
Hell, give JAX a 1st and Slowshon and Ball.

MJD,McGahee,Hillman,Omon is plenty.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #108
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Might be some growing pains there this year but I think we have to think beyond this year towards next. We can't fix the OL this year either. Both will need to be addressed before we're title-ready imho. But you can't just bring in top 5 free-agent talent at every position of need. You run out of cap in a hurry.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #109
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
And Pocket Hecules catches outta the backfield, and can block in pass protect better than any of the current RBs on the DEN roster.
He would play a ton and cause all kinds of problems for opposing defenses, all the while making the O-line better by simply being a superior runner, and helping in the pass protection schemes for Manning.
MJD would be a monster upgrade.
Yup, all of this
Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #110
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Might be some growing pains there this year but I think we have to think beyond this year towards next. We can't fix the OL this year either. Both will need to be addressed before we're title-ready imho. But you can't just bring in top 5 free-agent talent at every position of need. You run out of cap in a hurry.
I guess that explains signing Peyton manning

And, I don't care about the salary cap, let's win some ****ing championships

O-line talent is far less of a concern than RB depth. We have a QB who can release the ball in less than 3-4 seconds now and we had the #1 rushing attack last season. The line will be fine
Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #111
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Running back is a significantly devalued position. Beavis is right, the resources that would go into acquiring and keeping MJD could go towards more important positions. There is never a shortage of effective runners to be had every year in the 3-4th rounds.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #112
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Running back is a significantly devalued position. Beavis is right, the resources that would go into acquiring and keeping MJD could go towards more important positions. There is never a shortage of effective runners to be had every year in the 3-4th rounds.
And how many of those guys are capable of providing the MAJORITY of their teams offense for consecutive seasons while being an elite running and pass catching threat out of the backfield

You cannot draft a player like MJD, and if by some chance you do it will be a top 5 pick or just sheer luck
Old 08-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #113
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I love the idea of MJD... just not for a first round pick. I worry about him breaking down, wonder if he's in playing shape, and wondering how long it would take him to pick up the offense.

Keep in mind, he's missed half of training camp.

http://dailydickpunch.com/2012/08/22...e-right-price/
Old 08-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #114
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
And, I don't care about the salary cap, let's win some ****ing championships
Is that a Daniel Snyder quote?
Old 08-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #115
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
I love the idea of MJD... just not for a first round pick.
Tim tebow, Demaryius Thomas, Knowshon Moreno, Robert Ayers, Jarvis Moss, and Jay Cutler all say "hi!"

D.J. Williams, George Foster and Ashley Lelie were not available for comment

(the second part about his health and missing camp is valid tho)

Last edited by lolcopter; 08-22-2012 at 07:53 AM..
Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #116
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
no, no, no, you do not trade a 1st for MJD and fork over a new contract.
a 2nd maybe, more than likely a 3rd, a player and another pick but not a 1st.
How about a 3rd + DJ + Slowshon ??
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #117
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
For a top 5 RB? Not gonna happen
Old 08-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #118
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
They need a WLB too, Clint Session can't stay healthy...
Old 08-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #119
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
And how many of those guys are capable of providing the MAJORITY of their teams offense for consecutive seasons while being an elite running and pass catching threat out of the backfield

You cannot draft a player like MJD, and if by some chance you do it will be a top 5 pick or just sheer luck
I didn't realize that MJD wasn't drafted....or was he drafted in the top 5? Maybe I'm thinking of the other top overall RB's like Ray Rice or Arian Foster....those guys must have been top 5. Michael Turner? Lesean Mccoy? Frank Gore?

Man, I am just having the hardest time finding elite running backs drafted in the top 5

Sigh....You don't understand. We don't need 1 guy to be the only offensive threat, so we don't need to overspend on a guy that would do that. He wouldn't be asked to be all those things for our team, he would be asked to do the things that cheaper backs could do just fine.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #120
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

crazy armchair talk going around here...
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #121
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

PFF ranked MJD as the second best RB in the league last year. He was the Jaguar's top ranked receiver, and he was their 4th best pass blocker, beating out three of their starting OL, and every other fullback and halfback on the team. If I were in charge of the Jags, I wouldn't give him up. If they do decide to though, we'd be stupid not to pursue him.

Skill at RB correlates with wins much more closely than skill on the OL does.

For example, which team had the worst play at LT last season? The Packers, 15 wins.
The best play at LT? The Eagles, 8 wins.

Which team had the worst play at RB? The Browns, 4 wins.
The best play at RB? The Saints, 13 wins.
MagicHef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #122
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

MJD- Would be awesome but, Denver has too many needs to fill to do this move imo.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #123
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
PFF ranked MJD as the second best RB in the league last year. He was the Jaguar's top ranked receiver, and he was their 4th best pass blocker, beating out three of their starting OL, and every other fullback and halfback on the team. If I were in charge of the Jags, I wouldn't give him up. If they do decide to though, we'd be stupid not to pursue him.
this
Old 08-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #124
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

For example, which team had the worst play at LT last season? The Packers, 15 wins.
The best play at LT? The Eagles, 8 wins.

Which team had the worst play at RB? The Browns, 4 wins.
The best play at RB? The Saints, 13 wins.
UHhh... sorry... but RB correlates with wins more than the OL? Hell to the no!!! Did you forget all those Shanny years? What happened to teams like the Vikes, Jags and Tenn last season? Even though they have elite rbs they got nowhere because of various other factors... one being that their Olines really struggled (Tenn not so much).

Having an elite back would be great... but in today's passing NFL they are not worth it unless you are picking them in the draft or getting them with low mileage through a trade (like Portis).

MJD has been a workhorse through his career. It comes a point where you have to ask yourself when he will start to break down?
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #125
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Let me remove part of your statement to point out the flaw in your logic.

Quote:

The Packers, 15 wins.
The Eagles, 8 wins.
James Starks is no LeSean McCoy. Not by a long shot. But he won more games.

Now I'm a big fan of balance. But not in the "We need a superstar RB to balance out our superstar QB" sense. We need young, reliable legs to chew up what's given to us so we can keep defenses honest. Take-it-to-the-house ability comes in a distant second when you've got an elite QB for that same purpose.