The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #76
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
He should of been a lot more productive in an Offense where their QB just smashed the single season yardage record. There are plenty of #3 WR who have produced 1000 yards. He could of and should of taken over for Lance Moore.
Colston is their #1 WR, but Jimmy Graham is really the #1 target. Sproles is used heavily in the passing game. They don't really have a number two WR. The way that offense runs, they distribute the ball everywhere (Meachem, Moore, Henderson, Thomas).

Not saying that means Meachem will have a breakout season (though I think he will. ) Right now he's just a proven #2 receiver that will have to prove he's more than that.

And for all the passing the Saints do, they don't air it out deep like the Chargers do. That's Norv's style. You don't see the Saints receivers with the kind of YPC like the Chargers have. It's not even close.

The only reason I can see the Charger's deep passing game struggling is because of the issues at LT. If they're just being cautious with Gaither right now and he turns out to be fine, Rivers will be airing it out like he always does. If Gaither's health is in question, Norv has shown he is stubborn to adjust his gameplan and I think the passing game will struggle like it did last year with the o-line issues that they had.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #77
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Meacham couldn't produce at a high level against #3 and 4 CB's so I don't fear him much in SD against #1 and 2 CB's. If you can't be a stud with Brees you probably won't with anyone.
This.
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #78
privers97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Same crap; different year. San Diego is always sports media's preseason pick to take the AFC West. They no longer have a "stacked" team built through season water delivery san diego after season of top-5 draft picks; their O-line is suspect and behind a questionable O-line, Rivers also looks... less than stellar.
i always thought the chargers were overrated. they're always ranked so high on paper but always fall through in reality
Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #79
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Holy crafty spam
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #80
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Didn't Mathews break his collar bone or something like that? How is he the best back A) when he's hurt and not even on the field B) I think he's been hurt more then he's been healthy. He's flashed moments but hardly anything substantial due to injuries. Cmon now. I'll take our running game vs the Chuggers running game any day for the week.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #81
Bacillus Anthracis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulon Velvet Jones View Post
Stats are for losers.
But even those stats are limp. They had to wade through some pretty obscure **** to get those and then failed to point out what to what degree those stats have on wins and losses. As a matter of fact, they appear to be marginal at best because SD didn't win the division last year, even with those totally awesome and stellar stats.

And never mind the horrible defense. We'll just pretend it wasn't bad. And we also won't mention the fact that Norv is still their head coach or that Ryan Mattews is out for the first few weeks of the season or that blahblahblah.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #82
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulon Velvet Jones View Post
Stats are for losers.
So true. Maybe it should have been written:
"Why the Chargers will have the best fantasy football players in the division"

All I know is that stats stop when a player gets injured again. We had Cutler who would give us stats but couldn't score once we got inside the 20. A team also needs heart and good coaching, does Joyner have a lame stat for that too?

This looked like something out of Bleacher Report or Nerdsonsports.com .

Vertical yards caught or something like that? COme on , lame!
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #83
DENVERDUI55

Vincent Brown has a broken ankle. Another hit to the best mediocre team of all time. I actually expected bog numbers out of him this year.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #84
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

And as articles are pointing out this morning, the Chargers survived Rivers picks to win this preseason contest. Rivers seems to be taking up where he left off last year.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #85
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Vincent Brown has a broken ankle. Another hit to the best mediocre team of all time. I actually expected bog numbers out of him this year.
Huge blow to them in back to back weeks. First Mathews, now Brown.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #86
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Colston is their #1 WR, but Jimmy Graham is really the #1 target. Sproles is used heavily in the passing game. They don't really have a number two WR. The way that offense runs, they distribute the ball everywhere (Meachem, Moore, Henderson, Thomas).

Not saying that means Meachem will have a breakout season (though I think he will. ) Right now he's just a proven #2 receiver that will have to prove he's more than that.

And for all the passing the Saints do, they don't air it out deep like the Chargers do. That's Norv's style. You don't see the Saints receivers with the kind of YPC like the Chargers have. It's not even close.

The only reason I can see the Charger's deep passing game struggling is because of the issues at LT. If they're just being cautious with Gaither right now and he turns out to be fine, Rivers will be airing it out like he always does. If Gaither's health is in question, Norv has shown he is stubborn to adjust his gameplan and I think the passing game will struggle like it did last year with the o-line issues that they had.
Losing Brown won't help matters. Chargers running out of skill players. But the rest of the division has problems also. Really not one complete team.

Last edited by cutthemdown; 08-19-2012 at 09:25 AM..
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #87
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Didnt red...although I stayed at the coronado, nice place...far from the stadium where they throw the crap balls.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #88
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

The Chargers and Chiefs are both better than the Broncos on paper.

But if Manning is 90 percent of what he was, the Broncos are a better team than both.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #89
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Are the Chargers really better than the Broncos on paper?

Where are they stronger at? WR. TE. SS. FB? lol
Old 08-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #90
Dexter
Pro Bowler

Bay Harbor Butcher

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Probably TE if Gates is back to his old self. SS for sure, and PR/KR. You guys are going to love Royal if they use him properly on special teams. Other than that I'm really not sure. I'd be willing to call it even on the WR position for now. That could go either way. RB if Mathews is healthy? I really like McGahee again this year though, and Hillman may be good if he can ever stay on the field.

So this is how I'd boil it down for now. Until we see more, these are just the best guesses.

QB: Advantage Broncos. No disrespect to Rivers, he's a great QB if he cuts down on his turnovers this year.
WR: Even
O-Line: Broncos
RB: Chargers
TE: Chargers

Pass Rushers: Denver- though Philips is good, and I loved Ingram coming out of the draft.
Rest of D-Line: Even?
SS: Chargers
FS: Even?
CBs: Broncos

I mean, this is all just opinion of course. But I'm not sure how Bob can say that you guys clearly have the best roster. Seems pretty even and debatable to me.

I know everyone gushes about how great the chiefs are top to bottom too except at QB. And they do have GREAT talent, but I don't think that any part of their roster with the exception of Safety and maybe linebacker, is head and shoulders above what the Broncos have. Although, I'd say Von evens that up a bit. They have a more proven WR in Bowe that finally decided to show up to camp, but we have just as much potential at reciever as they do.

Generally, I think its safe to say that its going to be a close race. I just don't think the Raiders will have the fire power and overall defense to keep up. But stranger things have happened.

Last edited by Dexter; 08-20-2012 at 02:14 AM..
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:10 AM   #91
SPORTSWRITER
Initials are ESP

Bill Williamson's opinions, even as a Denver Post reporter, always left/leave a lot to be desired, IMO. I predict the Chargers to finish second, behind Denver. After SD, KC, and the Raiders will finish LAST!

Last edited by SPORTSWRITER; 08-20-2012 at 06:13 AM..
SPORTSWRITER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #92
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
... But I do think the Chargers have made a lot of great moves this off season.
Their best move (for us anyway) was keeping Norv. No matter who you get talent wise they still need to take direction from Norv.

I like our chances better even with our brutal schedule.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #93
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Their best move (for us anyway) was keeping Norv. No matter who you get talent wise they still need to take direction from Norv.

I like our chances better even with our brutal schedule.
Everytime I get a little optimistic about this team, I always remember this.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #94
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
And as articles are pointing out this morning, the Chargers survived Rivers picks to win this preseason contest. Rivers seems to be taking up where he left off last year.
Rivers and Meachem are obviously not on the same page yet.

Quote:
"Robert Meachem has been targeted three times through two Chargers preseason games, and two have been intercepted."
Meachem had burned Carr but Rivers just underthrew it. I guess he's not used to the speed of Meachem yet.

The second interception the other night was totally on Vincent Brown. Went right off his hands.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #95
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Our injury situation sucks right now. Not just Mathews and Brown - two playmakers - but Jared Gaither has barely practiced and our O line has zero depth. The preseason has made me feel a lot better about our defense, but the offense is starting to scare me.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #96
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post
Our injury situation sucks right now. Not just Mathews and Brown - two playmakers - but Jared Gaither has barely practiced and our O line has zero depth. The preseason has made me feel a lot better about our defense, but the offense is starting to scare me.
Yeah the injuries are mounting up on offense.

Now it looks like the defense will be a nice improvement but the offense will take a step back. They can never get both going at once.

Always something with this team...
Old 08-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #97
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

I think a lot of your starters are better, though not by a lot in every case, but then your depth is pretty bad. Honestly the only team in the division with worse depth is the Raiders, who are a sprained ankle away from being awful.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #98
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I think a lot of your starters are better, though not by a lot in every case, but then your depth is pretty bad. Honestly the only team in the division with worse depth is the Raiders, who are a sprained ankle away from being awful.
Hmm. I think just the opposite actually.

I think you're overrating a lot of the starters but the depth is actually much better than it's been in past years. (A number of the starters from past years are now backups.)
Old 08-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #99
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
The Chargers and Chiefs are both better than the Broncos on paper.

But if Manning is 90 percent of what he was, the Broncos are a better team than both.
Too bad that is on Toilet Paper.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #100
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Tear it apart, OM.
Good Job Mr Joyner. Rivers as the best QB is a joke. At this point I'm not sure he is better than Palmer who I have been down on for awhile. Rivers sure has fallen off quick.