The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #101
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
You are clearly on meth if you think Ngata wasn't dominant until 2009. He was a freaking All-Pro in 2008.
KCMethStud?
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #102
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Kansas City was clearly drafting for need. Reaching for him at #11? Yeah. Maybe they were skeptical of a trade down considering how many DT's were actually taken and might have been afraid of not getting their guy. What other NT prospect were they going to get anywhere in the draft? Wait for Akiem Hicks in the 3rd?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #103
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Yeah, I don't disagree. It would have been nice to get an extra pick or two out of it. But wouldn't you agree that trading down isn't always what you hope it will be? I know you guys got lots of extra picks this year by trading down, but doesn't a part of you wonder who you COULD have had if you'd just "reached" a bit?

I'm no Pioli apologist; his refusal to address the QB situation is nearly unforgivable at this point. But aside from that, he's quietly and slowly taken a team that was absolutely god awful a few years ago and made it respectable.

Along the way, we've reached for a number of guys (Dorsey, Jackson, and Poe are the poster children here), and they are definitely being paid way more than they are worth. But at the same time, Dorsey and Jackson have turned into very solid, if not spectacular players. If Pioli feels like he has to reach a bit to get the guys he really thinks are worth it, I can't fault him based on the recent track record.
Rational KFC Fan,

Well done.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #104
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
And there it is!!!! If you actually watched the game then you would have known Arizona kept their first team offense in the game for several drives into the middle of the 2nd quarter.

You didn't watch the game. Just admit it dude. It's not a big deal.
So Poe didn't play late in second quarter or in the second half you are telling me? Do you ever get tired of getting worked over like a rented mule? Almost everything you say is completely wrong.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #105
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
fair enough but why not try to trade down?
We didn't trade down because Dontari Poe was who we had at the top of the board at the time and the Eagles were really high on Fletcher Cox and Dontari Poe. We didn't think Poe would be there if we traded down.

Read this:

http://igglesnest.com/2012/eagles-re...t-dontari-poe/

Quote:
There have been plenty of rumors lately regarding the Philadelphia Eagles interest in trading up for either Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill or Mississippi State DT Fletcher Cox, however the prospect the Eagles are really targeting is Memphis DT Dontari Poe according to a trusted league source.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #106
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
So Poe didn't play late in second quarter or in the second half you are telling me? Do you ever get tired of getting worked over like a rented mule? Almost everything you say is completely wrong.
Again you didn't watch the game. Poe didn't play very much of the 2nd half.

And I find it funny that a Bronco fan says he watched an entire Chiefs preseason game.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #107
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

There's No Fire With This Smoke Of Criticism Of Dontari Poe

By BJ Kissel - Staff Writer

According to some, the verdict on the Chiefs first-round pick Dontari Poe is already in after just one preseason game.

Follow @sbnkansascity on Twitter, and Like SB Nation Kansas City on Facebook.

Aug 15, 2012 - It wasn't that long ago that everyone and their brother was wondering if Eric Berry was going to become the elite safety that he was supposedly destined to become. He was a rookie safety that had given up a few touchdowns in pass coverage in his first few games and Chiefs Nation was on-edge. Sounds familiar because even with the Chiefs great performance last week against the Cardinals some people have found something to be on-edge about now.

Was it really so long ago that people forgot that Berry didn't come in and play at a Pro Bowl level right away? He DID struggle in pass coverage and Chiefs fans WERE nervous that he might not be the all-world safety that everyone described him as being when the Chiefs drafted him 5th overall. The level of 'how nervous?' each particular fan was at the time would obviously vary from fan to fan. Just as the opinion of how Dontari Poe fits in with this team and his role moving forward would change from fan to fan.

Hearing that Dontari Poe has become the 'put-him-on-blast' flavor of the week is sickening at this point. There is apparently some kind of idea out there that he's not 'on-course' for what this team needs him to do to be a productive member of this team. For those people that believe he's not ready and that he's not going to be a good player for this team I'd just like to know what he is supposed to do for this team? And to provide examples of players that are asked to do what Poe's being asked to do and were successful in their first EVER NFL game? Or even their first NFL season?

If you expected Dontari Poe to step in during the Arizona Cardinals preseason game and dominate right away by splitting double-teams and get tackles for loss then you're going to be disappointed with 90% of draft picks overall, and 99% of defensive lineman. You would have been disappointed with Tyson Jackson, and he turned out to be pretty good. (Even ESPN figured it out finally, they were just 18 months late to the party).

You would have been disappointed with Eli Manning, and he's won a couple of big games after being TERRIBLE when he first started. You even have to throw Eric Berry, Tamba Hali, Derrick Johnson and Jamaal Charles in that conversation if you want it to hit a little closer to home. Those players were inconsistent at-best when they first got to the NFL, and yet we're attacking a rookie nose tackle of all people? It could easily be the hardest position in the NFL to come in and make an instant impact.

I loved Dontari Poe's comment during training camp about having to be 'a man' to play in the middle of the defensive line. He's not only facing grown men now, he's being taught a system in Romeo Crennel's 2-gapping defense that gives him the responsibility of tying up blockers and clogging holes. He's trying to be an immovable object when two guys on the other side (who are also on scholarship) have the responsibility of moving him. There's a reason that you don't see a lot of young NFL defensive lineman flourishing in a 2-gapping system. It takes time to develop this role.

The Chiefs have two of the best six run-stuffing, 2-gapping defensive ends in the entire NFL in Jackson (#1) and Glenn Dorsey (#6), and they didn't set the NFL on-fire when they first got into the league. It took time and they were developed by the same men who have had just a few weeks with Poe, a player with a ceiling higher than either of those other guys. The expectation that Poe should be dominating right now is as ridiculous as it is infuriating. Have we not learned our lesson in jumping to conclusions, even with defensive lineman specifically?

Everyone knew that Dontari Poe was going to need time to develop. I'm sorry but if you didn't know that then you weren't paying attention. One of the first things that Scott Pioli said about Poe after the Chiefs drafted him is that he loved his versatility and ability to not only play in the base defense as a nose tackle, but also as a pass-rushing defensive tackle in our subset defenses.

Last year the Chiefs spent about 50% of the time in each of these specific defenses, base and subset. It might take a year or two for Poe to learn the techniques and skills to effectively 2-gap in the base defense, but he should be able to contribute right away in our subset defense as a pass-rusher. So the Chiefs are getting value from him on the field in one aspect while he develops the other part of his game, which seems like the perfect scenario.

Some people want to point out the sudden success and praise that Anthony Toribio has been getting lately as some kind of a knock on Poe. You realize that it's alright if Toribio turns out to be good, right? One players' success and development over two years with coaches Anthony Pleasant and Romeo Crennel does not make another's development over a few weeks any less important moving forward, or exciting for that matter.

So for the Chiefs fans out there that aren't ridiculously rushing to judgement after one preseason game, remember that one of the best in the business in Romeo Crennel is developing a player with the size, strength, determination and work ethic unparalleled to players he's ALREADY developed. So don't worry about all the smoke being thrown talking about our rookie defensive lineman, there's no fire with this smoke.

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/2012/...ith-this-smoke
Old 08-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #108
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

And I find it funny that a Bronco fan says he watched an entire Chiefs preseason game.
Why should he be posting on a KC message board a lot instead?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #109
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Why should he be posting on a KC message board a lot instead?
No he finds it too funny being followed by DBroncos4life like a puppy begging for a treat.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #110
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
No he finds it too funny being followed by DBroncos4life like a puppy begging for a treat.
I can't help but look at the train wreck that are your ****ing dumbass posts and watch you change the subject when you realize how ****ing retarded you are.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #111
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I can't help but look at the train wreck that are your ****ing dumbass posts and watch you change the subject when you realize how ****ing retarded you are.
Like you changing the subject now? Nice.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #112
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Like you changing the subject now? Nice.
You ****ing retard the reason I look at your posts (as you call it following you around) is because you say so many dumb mother****ing things. How is that changing the subject you god damn retard!!!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #113
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
You ****ing retard the reason I look at your posts (as you call it following you around) is because you say so many dumb mother****ing things. How is that changing the subject you god damn retard!!!!!
Name calling now. Even more change to the subject. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #114
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Oh my ****ing god you are just so ****ing dumb.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #115
Simply Red
NATURAL SELECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
I have lobbied for "Methlabulous" and "MethWolfe" as coup de grace words in Scrabble as well as Words with Friends.

/success!

& i'm excited for this!
Simply Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #116
Bacchus

Quote:
I think Haloti Ngata is the proper comparison for what Poe should be like as a player. Brian Billick did a great job explaining it (I'll have to find the video).

Even Ngata needed to be developed. Ngata didn't become a dominating DL until his 4th season, and he is playing on the freaking Ravens defense.
Dude you want to find the proper comparison for Poe. Find any average Conferance USA NT and that is a worthy comparison. wow, you are going to be crused when this guy is cut.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #117
Simply Red
NATURAL SELECTION

this guy is an enormous+useless African American.
Simply Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #118
R-Mac

A proper comparison to Dontari Poe would be Michael Jasper. He would be 4th string if the Chefs had one more guy to play NT.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #119
DENVERDUI55

Quote:

Where did I say he played whole 2 nd half? I did watch the game he was pushed around by 2 string OL which is true. Not sure what your trying to accomplish other than digging a deeper hole. Your the board idiot and beat bob out on that which I never was thought possible.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #120
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Dude you want to find the proper comparison for Poe. Find any average Conferance USA NT and that is a worthy comparison. wow, you are going to be crused when this guy is cut.
Man you guys can't read. I'm not saying he's going to be Haloti Ngata. The point is that that is what will be expected of the guy and his draft slot.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #121
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Where did I say he played whole 2 nd half? I did watch the game he was pushed around by 2 string OL which is true. Not sure what your trying to accomplish other than digging a deeper hole. Your the board idiot and beat bob out on that which I never was thought possible.
He had some good plays and some bad plays. So you focusing simply on his bad plays is picking stats. And you say I do that?
Yeah he did get stonewalled a few times. He also got into the backfield frequently, tipped a pass, and took up a double team which led to Hali getting pressure on Skelton which led to...an INT. Who woulda thunk?

It's his first game though. There were flashes of power and speed. There were also flashes of poor technique and inexperience.

Last edited by KCStud; 08-15-2012 at 10:28 PM..
Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #122
Bacchus

Quote:
Man you guys can't read. I'm not saying he's going to be Haloti Ngata. The point is that that is what will be expected of the guy and his draft slot.
Man you can't read. I did not say that YOU said he was going to be Ngata, BUT you were comparing him to NGATA. I just said that a more appropriate comparison for Poe would be any average DT in Conferance USA.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #123
ozomulsion
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The ladies man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Zero surprise... just glad the large group of posters that wanted him were not in charge of our draft.

The kid is a project, no one ever doubted that. Too call him a bust at this point is crazy. Give him 3 years of failure like Knowshon, then call him a bust.
Rushing for nearly a grand in McDs Power running scheme counts as a year of failing? I see. His second year of almost 800 yards. I can certainly see that as a fail, but not really. His injury last year was a sure fail. RBs never tear their ACL, but I'll give you that it was in a fail of a game where he had 52 yards on 4 carries. Good post bro.
ozomulsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:26 AM   #124
*WARHORSE*
GNASHING OF TEETH

Let the heads roll.........

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lombardi III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
Doesn't mean he wasn't a good pass rusher. We're talking about a DT, not a DE or OLB.

A lot of scouting reports on the guy talked about his pass rush ability.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1717351

http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings...#ixzz23bJFnZ7V

http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...ontari-Poe.php

Raji is another guy who goes about 340 and is a very good pass rusher.

We drafted Poe in part to play in our nickel package because A) he could rush the passer and B) he's also big enough to hold up against the run in that package. Last year we had issues getting run on in our nickel.

I don't even like the pick, because he was drafted way too high, but the guy has talent as a pass rusher.

I saw some tape of him playing at Memphis. There was this one play where he was supposed to be pass rushing, and he was going through the motions and all, but his eyes were on the ground. His eyes are rarely in the backfield. That spells....'ruh roh'.....on all kinds of levels to me.

I watched the first preseason game for you guys and watched him.

You probably have too, and my guess is you were at a loss for words.

I wasnt though.

If its any consolation, I dread facing Hillis.
*WARHORSE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:27 AM   #125
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
I see you're conveniently ignoring the fact that you completely whiffed on the "Ngata wasn't dominant until his 4th year" comment.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote